TOS+ on Macintosh ... August 28th, 2013 UPDATE at the bottom of the thread!

Archives of the Old News.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

TOS+ on Macintosh ... August 28th, 2013 UPDATE at the bottom of the thread!

Post by admin »

Admin's Note: TOS+ v5.0 and TOS CORE v2.0 both function on Mac Excel 2011!!

Folks,

As you might know, I've been trying (dying) to make TOS+ compatible with the Macintosh version of excel...
Silent Guardian was nice enough to lend me his Mac (remotely) so I can start working on this!!

But try as I might, I could not locate the Visual Basic editor in his Mac Excel 2008 edition. A bit of research turned up that our friends at Microsoft have NOT included the VBA components in Mac Excel 2008!

You are not without knowing that a LOT of power of TOS+ is derived from the programming behind it. Without that programming 'available' to Max Excel 2008 users, there is no way TOS+ can function on that version for Mac. Further research says that Microsoft has seen the errors of its (weird) ways, and will bring BACK VBA into the Mac Excel fold... (in the next release of Mac Office).

So for now, I could either try to make TOS+ work on an older revision of Mac Excel (2004), or wait to see about the next Office version. Since I don't think many will 'downgrade' to Excel 2004, that would probably be moot.
jmls
Soldier
Soldier

Re: TOS+ on Macintosh ... Bad News

Post by jmls »

:( sorry to hear the bad news. i use a mac and will use nothing else. i have not subscribed to TOS+ because of the compatibility issues. i am still running TOSfree using mac office 2004 so it would be right up my alley if you could get it to work TOS+. but i since i'm the only one so far to reply to the bad news i would say wait for the VBA in the next version of mac office. i know nothing about neooffice but will do some research and see if it will run on my mac.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

jmls wrote::( sorry to hear the bad news. i use a mac and will use nothing else. i have not subscribed to TOS+ because of the compatibility issues. i am still running TOSfree using mac office 2004 so it would be right up my alley if you could get it to work TOS+. but i since i'm the only one so far to reply to the bad news i would say wait for the VBA in the next version of mac office. i know nothing about neooffice but will do some research and see if it will run on my mac.
TOS+ could work on Mac 2004, but I don't have access to that at the moment, and can't "Debug" it to make it work (it is a bit more complex than TOSFREE, but should still be within the VBA ability of the Mac Office 2004)

You might be the only one (or few) to hear this, as very few Mac only users would 'check' the forum, knowing TOS+ does not work... (So this isn't a good Metric for this knowledge...)
griff
Peasant
Peasant

Post by griff »

I've got a PowerBook with Office 2004 installed and it doesn't include much in the way of compatibility with Office for the PC. I believe the VBA within it is actually based on RealBasic so I don't know if the compatibility is going to be close enough to get the functionality you need. I haven't yet registered for TOS+ and have just been playing with the free sheet, or I would offer to test and give you some results.

I believe NeoOffice is based on the same core that OpenOffice uses, unless something has changed recently. As such, it really won't provide any better possibilities either.

I would truly love to see an OpenOffice version of TOS+; that's really the main thing keeping me from purchasing it at this point. Since MS Office doesn't properly function under the Wine (Windows Emulator) for Linux, TOS+ doesn't work. I'm planning to do some testing with CrossOver Office this weekend, though, if that feedback might be of use to you. I believe CrossOver is available for OSX as well as Linux.

I could be wrong about the above information since I'm working off the top of my head. If you feel that some additional testing would be helpful, let me know.

EDIT: One other note after re-reading the prior postings... NeoOffice also requires X to be installed (which is not an out-of-the-box installation for most Macs), so it actually operates outside the framework of OSX's normal display modes. I didn't care much for it for that reason alone.

griff
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Even a PC with Excel will FAIL to run TOS+, if that excel version (2000, 2002, 2003) has not been patched to the latest service release... So if the VBA support is less than perfect, it won't work with TOS+. I tried the latest release of Open Office, and it failed to run TOS+.
mrbill317
Squire
Squire

Post by mrbill317 »

I work for a large corporation that has many VB developers , I could try to locate if you want. Its possible it might be on technet if you want me to look or the DBA site.
mrbill317
Squire
Squire

Post by mrbill317 »

You guys could always run TOS+ in Parallels or VM Fusion.
Donaven
Templar
Templar

Post by Donaven »

Has there been any updates since Aug?
Mach5RR
Squire
Squire

Post by Mach5RR »

From what I can tell, TOS+ 3.421 works -mostly- on a Mac running Excel 2011. Issues that I have encountered so far:
Saving - no matter if it's a character or a race, clicking an internal save button gives a runtime error "68" device unavailable. Workaround - save the document from the menu instead.
Importing pictures - Excel 2011 has no support for ActiveX controls.
Hitting the clear button - it tells me it's erasing, but it just seems to hang there.

Other than that, it seems to work great. I have loaded my 5th level paladin, built out a custom +2 longsword in the equipment, and have created his mount.
I can print him out, print out his spell list, or run it from the laptop screen.
Custom area seems to work great, as I was able to select "Longsword" for weapon focus.

A few minor things I can work around, but I'm not sure if I'm staring at a bug, a Mac bug, or a different interpretation of the rules.

Scott
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Mach5RR wrote:From what I can tell, TOS+ 3.421 works -mostly- on a Mac running Excel 2011. Issues that I have encountered so far:
Saving - no matter if it's a character or a race, clicking an internal save button gives a runtime error "68" device unavailable. Workaround - save the document from the menu instead.
Importing pictures - Excel 2011 has no support for ActiveX controls.
Hitting the clear button - it tells me it's erasing, but it just seems to hang there.

Other than that, it seems to work great. I have loaded my 5th level paladin, built out a custom +2 longsword in the equipment, and have created his mount.
I can print him out, print out his spell list, or run it from the laptop screen.
Custom area seems to work great, as I was able to select "Longsword" for weapon focus.

A few minor things I can work around, but I'm not sure if I'm staring at a bug, a Mac bug, or a different interpretation of the rules.

Scott
Cool! I did not know that the new Mac excel was out!
Unfortunately, having no access to a Mac (and even less to Mac Excel 2011!) I can't debug the Sheet for that platform at this time... :(

admin
Mach5RR
Squire
Squire

Post by Mach5RR »

Mehhhh, I knew it was a risk when I bought it :wink: . I tried the 3.0 trial version and that one just crashed left and right for me. But 3.421 is stable enough to be playable, so I am happy.
hymdohl
Squire
Squire

Post by hymdohl »

I know its a whole other programming language, but open office may be the same on a MAC as it is a Java program - you may want to look into that support for MAC's - I know its not a perfect solution, but may do the trick.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

hymdohl wrote:I know its a whole other programming language, but open office may be the same on a MAC as it is a Java program - you may want to look into that support for MAC's - I know its not a perfect solution, but may do the trick.
You are correct - OpenOffice uses 'Star Basic' [if I recall] which is a different programming language from Excel's VBA.
Doing TOS+ in 'Star Basic' would require me to support two versions... One change in here, means the same change over there! Of course, this is assuming I would first learn that language.. hehe
The Sheet is in constant evolution, making 'dual version' support quite impossible for my single person!

admin
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

admin wrote:Cool! I did not know that the new Mac excel was out!
Unfortunately, having no access to a Mac (and even less to Mac Excel 2011!) I can't debug the Sheet for that platform at this time... :(
admin
NEWSFLASH!
One of the users here (silentguardian) was nice enough to provide me with access to his Mac, so I could start making the Sheet Mac-Compatible!! YES, Mac Office 2011 HAS been restored its missing VBA module, which means it should be able to run the Sheet!!

Now, I did some preliminary tests on the MAC and the sheet almost works... unfortunately, it crashes excel when you enter Data, which makes it unstable.

Since Excel is NOT supposed to crash (for any reasons), I contacted the Test Leader for Mac Excel and he agreed to examine Mac Excel running TOS+ to find out WHY Excel crashes, and hopefully, FIX that bug!!!

So a few moments ago, I sent them the Sheet: I hope they will be able to fix their Mac Excel asap so that it run TOS+!!

admin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: TOS+ on Macintosh ... April 12th NEWSFLASH ADDED!!!

Post by Duniagdra »

Awesome!. Fingers are crossed.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

NEWS: The Excel Mac Test leader has confirmed that he is able to duplicate the steps that makes Mac Excel crash when used in conjunction with the Sheet!

That should allow them to get their software fixed and to release a service pack which (I hope!) will allow TOS+ to work correctly on the Mac! He was unable to tell me when this 'patch' would be ready, so we can only wait at this time...

admin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Well, I'm not sure what's more amazing, that you got such quick responses, or that they found the issue and will fix it, or that they even told they found it and will put a patch out for it.

In either case, this IS great news. Now, when ever I happen to get a job again, I don't have to go buy a PC and worry so much about viruses. I can go MAC and be trouble free. :thumb1:
Image Image
Drakkar
Peasant
Peasant

Re: TOS+ on Macintosh ...

Post by Drakkar »

Is there any update about Mac compatibility with TOS+? The last response to this question was 9 months ago. I use Excel 2008 with my Mac laptop (I have the latest software updates installed). I'd love to purchase this program but need assurance that it will function properly. Almost everyone in my gaming group uses Macs. We've all been searching for a way to move our game (3.5e) into the electronic age and this program seems like the real thing! I would also like to make a suggestion that you address the compatibility issue with a link on your front page.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Drakkar wrote:Is there any update about Mac compatibility with TOS+? The last response to this question was 9 months ago. I use Excel 2008 with my Mac laptop (I have the latest software updates installed). I'd love to purchase this program but need assurance that it will function properly. Almost everyone in my gaming group uses Macs. We've all been searching for a way to move our game (3.5e) into the electronic age and this program seems like the real thing!
I was told they would fix it for the next service pack.
I have no idea when they plan to release this...

I am told some people do use the Sheet on their Macs, using some virtual software to emulate a PC with Office (Excel).
Some iPad users remote connect to their PC where the Sheet runs on a Windows Excel.
Drakkar wrote: I would also like to make a suggestion that you address the compatibility issue with a link on your front page.
The requirements are listed on the web page, in the Purchase section - including the fact that TOS+ does not work on Macs (at the top)

admin
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

admin wrote:
Drakkar wrote:Is there any update about Mac compatibility with TOS+? The last response to this question was 9 months ago. I use Excel 2008 with my Mac laptop (I have the latest software updates installed). I'd love to purchase this program but need assurance that it will function properly. Almost everyone in my gaming group uses Macs. We've all been searching for a way to move our game (3.5e) into the electronic age and this program seems like the real thing!
I was told they would fix it for the next service pack.
I have no idea when they plan to release this...
Thanks to Silentguardian, I was able to test out the latest service release of MAC Excel (v14.2.0.120402)

I am sad to report that Mac Excel STILL crashes when doing a SIMPLE operation in TOS+.

I sent an email to the person in charge at Microsoft, who handles Mac Excel:
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 1:03 AM
To: XinXin Liu
Subject: Re: Excel 2011 crashes while entering data
Hi XinXin,
As you still handling Excel Crashes?
I tested Mac Excel Version: 14.2.0.120402 for the problem I reported over a year ago, and unfortunately it seems your Excel is still crashing (I did the 'Quick Crash' test below, and Excel crashed right away...)
I was hoping this would have been fixed by now...

Quick crash steps:
1- Open the workbook + activate macros
2- Navigate to the Laptop sheet
3- Enter 3 in the damage box, part of the 'HP Hit Points' section
I received his reply:
Hi,
We thought we fixed in 14.2.0, but unfortunately, it still crashes in 14.2.1. I will follow up.
Thanks,
XinXin Liu
So I guess they still have some work to do on their software.... I though I'd let you know.

admin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: TOS+ on Macintosh ... May 7th, 2012 UPDATE at the bottom of the thread!

Post by Duniagdra »

It's awesome though that you're getting such an honest response. With luck, maybe that will mean a resolution this year and mac users will be able to use tos plus also. A whole other market tos is currently missing in.
Image Image
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Re: TOS+ on Macintosh ... August 28th, 2013 UPDATE at the bottom of the thread!

Post by admin »

I just tried the latest version of Mac Excel with TOS+ (64 bits edition, as that version has less controls in it).
I created a Human (P) Barbarian (P). When I set the level to 9, Mac Excel crashed....
*sighs*

I wonder if Mac excel will ever be fixed to support the sheet... it does not looks like it from this end.

admin
macversion.png
macversion.png (46.62 KiB) Viewed 12662 times
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

TOS+ v5.0 and TOS CORE v2.0 both function on Mac Excel 2011!!
Attachments
14.3.7.jpg
Uncle Traveling Matt
Horseman
Horseman

Post by Uncle Traveling Matt »

Sadly, I must re-open this wound....

Using Excel 14.7.2 (170228), Excel for Mac 2011
Using TOS+ v5.137

Attempting to "Load Picture" from the "Stats" page, getting error "The Macintosh version of Excel does not support ActiveX Controls"

How can I work 'round this?
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Uncle Traveling Matt wrote:Attempting to "Load Picture" from the "Stats" page, getting error "The Macintosh version of Excel does not support ActiveX Controls"
How can I work 'round this?
The MAC version of Excel does not support the PC's ActiveX controls, which is used to manage images.
There is no work around [that I know of] at this time...

admin
Uncle Traveling Matt
Horseman
Horseman

Okay, I'll spin up a Windows VM, add the image, then go back to my lovely Mac :-)
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Uncle Traveling Matt wrote:Okay, I'll spin up a Windows VM, add the image, then go back to my lovely Mac :-)
While that's a pretty good idea (specially if you use print-outs!), I am unsure what would happen if you would save the .tos file of a character with an image added in PC Excel!! I don't think this was ever done... HEHEHE

admin
Uncle Traveling Matt
Horseman
Horseman

Well, here's what I did and it SEEMS to have worked:

1) Created VM with Windows, installed o365
1.2) Mounted HOST path with XLSB into the GUEST
1.3) Opened XLSB
1.4) Loaded image file into STATS and FRONT page
1.5) Saved XSLB
1.6) Shut down VM
2) re-opened XSLB using Excel on MAC
2.1) Got "ActiveX, open in read-only" warning
2.2) Proceeded with load as read-only
2.3) Saved as XSLM
2.4) Closed Excel
3) Re-opened XSLM
3.1) Saved as XLSB (to revert to original file extension)

Do you or anyone else on the team see any issues with that path?
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Update available HERE!

admin

Return to “The Lost Writings [Old News]”