Using TOS+ in OpenOffice or other Spreadsheets

Archives of the Old News.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Using TOS+ in OpenOffice or other Spreadsheets

Post by admin »

For several reasons, TOS+ will NOT function in 'free' Open Office or any other spreadsheet than Excel.
I tried it, and Open Office failed miserably.

TOS+ has some features that are simply not available in OO. Imagine; it pushes the 'envelope' so much, that it does not even work on un-patched version of Excel. Even Microsoft's OWN Excel for MAC (the one with VBA) cannot run TOS+ without some modifications.... And that Excel is 'supposedly' compatible with Windows Excel... Yeah. Right.

As for 'fixing' TOS+ to work on the other spreadsheets apps, that is not in my plans for the moment.

admin
Badlapje
Knight
Knight

Re: Using TOS+ in OpenOffice or other Spreadsheets

Post by Badlapje »

Good to know :) I'll keep on dreaming non the less though :oops:
“A player is never late, Dave. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”
darkwatersong
Soldier
Soldier

Post by darkwatersong »

In the long term I would love to see TOS+ on Open Office, or what ever finally kills MS Office. I have had to support businesses first through moving to 2007, and now 2010....and lets just say the software company I work for is ditching MS Office because they keep drastically chaining everything from version to version. Also as you can modify Open Office to meet your needs, it allows for more flexibility for high level stuff like TOS+.
another_squid
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by another_squid »

Don't kid yourself. OO will never put even a significant dent in Microsoft Office simply because it is not compatible enough for business use. The cost to convert old documents over and fix them up so they'll work properly in OO, and to export documents in a way that will work for non-OO users makes OO very cost prohibitive, and that doesn't even count retraining everyone that's already used to MsO.

OO is great for home use, but almost useless in business or professionally for the foreseeable future. Unless the OO team can really ramp up the compatibility, it will be a long time before OO takes a good bite out of MsO, if it ever does, because the big office suite money is in business/professional.

Before the open source wogs blow a vein, please note: I support the OO project financially, but even I use MsO for nearly everything because OO doesn't cut it in the working world. It has come a long way but still has far to go.

It would be nice if TOS worked on Numbers for iPad though :)
---
Yeah, I seem to have too much time for games...
Iillil, Kiqqik, Qikkiq, Architeuthis, Zymurgyx (EQ retired)
Tulyp, Loligo (EQ2 retired)
Sraeps Yentirb, Loligo Opalescens (Vanguard retired)
Loligo Opalescens (WoW - Europe - retired)
Loligo Opalescens (RIFT retired)
Architeuthis Dux, Loligo Opalescens (EVE, semi-retired)
Loligo Opalescens (LotRO retired)
Loligo, Architeuthis, Doryteuthis, Platyberyx - the Izzasquid Legacy (SWTOR)
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

another_squid wrote:It would be nice if TOS worked on Numbers for iPad though :)
Although I do not have an iPad myself, I hear that TOS+ CAN be used on one, provided that you have WiFi and a free account on OnLive Desktop (where you upload the sheet to, and execute Excel on their machines!)

This is discussed in the HOW to use TOS+ on iPad / Android Tablet! thread!!

admin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

admin wrote:
another_squid wrote:It would be nice if TOS worked on Numbers for iPad though :)
Although I do not have an iPad myself, I hear that TOS+ CAN be used on one, provided that you have WiFi and a free account on OnLive Desktop (where you upload the sheet to, and execute Excel on their machines!)

This is discussed in the HOW to use TOS+ on iPad / Android Tablet! thread!!

admin
Briefly... I will confirm that I do use TOS+ on my iPad via desktop onlive.

I haven't used OO in ages. I used to support the cause, but MSE has SO much more functionality to it... (and versatility) My other issue with OO is it's lack of support for securing source code. It has none. If you spend time putting hard work into something that anyone can open and use in OO, those users can highjack your underlying code (formulas) and copy you.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
gmd9224
Squire
Squire

Post by gmd9224 »

Fellow members

I have been a TOS user since 2007 and only been forum member only for a short time.

I use OpenOffice with all the versions of TOS before the binary files. The binary's open but the macro buttons don't work and block some fields.

I have seen the past 60 companies I have consulted for have moved away from MS to OO. The main reason is the backward compatibility of OO, next to the bottom line.
CountofUndolpho
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by CountofUndolpho »

After nearly 20 years in IT support I haven't seen any of our customers (SMBs mostly) move to OO and only a handful that used it in the first place.
I could count the number of Linux users on one hand and, apart from iPads (for the bosses) and iPhones, only a handful using Macs; most (if not all) of whom had Windows machines as well or Boot Camped when they started using Intel chips.
"Il y en a toujours l'un qui baise, et l'un qui tourne la joue"

Return to “The Lost Writings [Old News]”