HOW to use TOS+ on iPad / Android Tablet!

Archives of the Old News.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

HOW to use TOS+ on iPad / Android Tablet!

Post by admin »

ADMIN NOTE: Refer to THIS thread for more information about this subject!
TOS+ can now be run on an iPad provided that:
a) You have WiFi available
b) You get a FREE account from OnLive Desktop, which gives you a 'Virtual' WINDOWS desktop WITH Excel 2010 32bits!!

As I understand it (I did not try myself), you get the OnLive Desktop account, upload your TOS+ Sheet to it (excel file), and run it on their servers... and Voila!

Cold someone CONFIRM if this works or not?
Access a Powerful PC from Anywhere!
[*] PC Microsoft® Office with 2GB cloud storage FREE*
[*] Full-featured document viewing and editing
[*] Instant-action, media-rich Windows® cloud desktop
[*] Lightning-fast Web browsing with Adobe® Flash®
[*] For iPad and Android™ tablets. Coming soon to PC, Mac®, TVs
admin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: HOW to use TOS+ on iPad / Android Tablet!

Post by Duniagdra »

Okay. I just uploaded TOS+ v3.664 to OnLive and the laptop sheet and the welcome sheet and the control sheet each resize as expected. Of course using TOS+ through Onlive requires reentering your personal key to use via my iPad II, but it seems to work just fine. I'm trying to figure if theres a way to use this on the android phones too, but this app is not in my market place when I search for the Samsung Vibrant Galaxy S. Maybe when I upgrade to the S II, that may change.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

I am finding that the quick links buttons do not work. I keep getting the compile error: userformquickpick. Characters load and save with no issue though.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Practus
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Practus »

Anyone knows if there’s any solution on this matter? I mean, is there any app by now capable of handling TOS+ on an iPad, or are we still dependent of Onlive Desktop solution?
Practus
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Practus wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:51 am Anyone knows if there’s any solution on this matter? I mean, is there any app by now capable of handling TOS+ on an iPad, or are we still dependent of Onlive Desktop solution?
I think that currently only the Surface pro tablet can handle Excel (with Macros, which are the programming elements of TOS+ that makes it tick). Another option I think would work is to run TOS+ on your PC, then use TeamViewer (or another screen sharing app) from your tablet to connect to your Computer (wherever it may be) and run through WiFi...

Would that work?
admin
Practus
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Practus »

Probably. I’m familiar with TeamViewer, but I thought there would be a more practical solution by now. Wouldn’t like to leave my home computer on everything I go out to play... Do you know if Office for IOS, or even Office 365 could handle all the macros on TOS+ (running form an iPad, for instance)?

If they can’t handle, then the only solution would be TeamViewer, as you said...
Practus
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

The question is: Which tablet can run the full version of Excel, WITH macros enabled...
My quick search turned out only the Surface Pro tablet (although at the price they are asking for it, seems more like a full PC than a tablet!!)

You can check the Web if any other solutions can run a macro-enabled Excel on a tablet... Historically (and as far as I know), Tablets don't have the computing power required by the full Excel version :(

And indeed, 6 YEARS after this thread was started, it's weird that there are so few tablets that can handle Excel...

admin
CountofUndolpho
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by CountofUndolpho »

Any proper windows 10 (i.e. not a glorified phone, I'm looking at you iPad) tablet should be able to run excel with macros, how well will depend on the amount of RAM etc. I'd say 2Gb to give it a chance and preferably 4 to run TOS+ smoothly (mostly). You need full Excel though.
I've used TOS+ on a Toshiba tablet and a Surface Pro 4 with the slowest cpu, worked fine on either but I would definitely go for something with a pen rather than a fat stylus or you will struggle.
Teamviewer to your home PC will work on an Android tablet but can be awkward for the delay and depending on screen size for on the fly changes. I used that for a year or two on a 7" Nexus tablet and it worked but I did most of the sheet updates when I got home after the session especially custom weapons etc.
"Il y en a toujours l'un qui baise, et l'un qui tourne la joue"
Practus
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Practus »

From my researches on this matter throughout the web, even Excel for iPad (or IOS devices, for that matter) doesn’t support opening and editting xlsb files. Funny thing is that it supports for Android devices. It seems that Apple is a bit afraid of allowing any VBA project or excel with macros running on their devices. Anything to do with security??

Sadly, I don’t expect to see any improvements on this front from MS on a near future. And now that Onlive Desktop is not available anymore, maybe the only solution would be using TeamViewer as you said, or...

...I remember there was a time when TOS+ was programmed using a xls format file... I was wondering if it would be too much of an effort for you to issue just one final version of TOS+ on xlsx format, now that TOS+ for D&D 3.5 is probably complete and done. Then we would be able to use TOS+ on our IOS devices. Probably the newest devices have enough computing power to handle a large xlsx file. And I would gladly purchase this TOS+ update, if that could be done...

Just a quick suggestion on the matter. If his is not possible at all, then TeamViewer would the only possible solution...

What are your thoughts about that??

Cheers!!
Practus
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Practus wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:56 pm ...I remember there was a time when TOS+ was programmed using a xls format file...
That was when I was able to support Excel 2003...
At some point in TOS+'s development, I hit the limits of Excel 2003 (i.e. It kept giving a 'too many format' error...

The only solution was to move on to a newer version of Excel.. Excel 2007 had pushed Excel 2003's limits to more accommodating levels! I've yet to hit any limits in 2007 so far!

I also started using functions that were not 2003 compatible, like IFERROR() (which is pretty cool!)... So, no, it is not practical to modify TOS+ to work as it did many years ago.

It would be possible for me to *recreate* TOS+, but with less ... content, to accommodate Excel 2003, but such endeavor would be quite time consuming (and not very profitable work!)

admin
Practus
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Practus »

No worries... I completely understand... it was just a thought... and I agree with you that downgrading the actual TOS+ to work with Excel 2003 wouldn’t be effective at all, and it would bring you a lot of work...

Guess we’ll have to stick with TeamViewer, or continue using printed versions of TOS+, which is very handy too...

BTW, thanks for your hard work programming this awesome sheet...

Cheers...
Practus
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Practus wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:57 pm BTW, thanks for your hard work programming this awesome sheet...
One of the best ways you can thank me is to tell others about TOS+ (online and in real life!)
It is so difficult to get people aware of the Sheet!!

Cheers!
admin
Practus
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Practus »

Just a quick question now:

I’m still looking for any way or app that allow us to use TOS+ in IOS environement, or even online, andI’ve bumped into a reply someone gave on another forum suggesting that it might be possible to convert VBA coding into Google Appscript.

And this got me thinking if it would be possible to do the same with our beloved TOS+ sheet. If this could be done, probably we could upload TOS+ to Google Spreadsheet, and maybe, just maybe, try to open it online...

There seems to have an API that supposedly helps converting VBA coding already written into Google Appscript. Here is the link:

Https://scand.com/products/gspread

Since I don’t understand pretty much nothing about programming, I thought I could ask here your opinions on the matter...
Practus
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Practus wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:08 am Just a quick question now:

I’m still looking for any way or app that allow us to use TOS+ in IOS environement, or even online, andI’ve bumped into a reply someone gave on another forum suggesting that it might be possible to convert VBA coding into Google Appscript.

And this got me thinking if it would be possible to do the same with our beloved TOS+ sheet. If this could be done, probably we could upload TOS+ to Google Spreadsheet, and maybe, just maybe, try to open it online...

There seems to have an API that supposedly helps converting VBA coding already written into Google Appscript. Here is the link:

Https://scand.com/products/gspread

Since I don’t understand pretty much nothing about programming, I thought I could ask here your opinions on the matter...

Well, technically, if you use TeamViewer on your Tablet to log into your PC, you are using TOS+ online... :P
I do not know how possible it would be - I do use some ActiveX controls in TOS+, which are probably not supported in Google's script.
But two things stands out:
A) It would require a lot of effort IF is it doable (which I don't even know if it is...)
B) Various versions of Excel are NOT even 100% fully compatible between themselves!!! For example, Mac Excel 2016 broke something in TOS+ ... even if Mac Excel 2011 is working great! Go figure...

admin

Return to “The Lost Writings [Old News]”