Investigating the mine [BG]

Join groups of warforged as they roam the Mournlands in search of proof of their God's divine hand in the creation of Eberron!
User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 6004
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Meriden, CT

Investigating the mine [BG]

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:13 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
For Tracker, I would highly recommend that he begin preparing different spells for the day. Like Goodberry. While it does nothing for himself, it will aid his companion. He will need survival checks to find berries that are not poisoned, then he can cast goodberry and his wolf will be able to be healed by them. Goodberry is a Transmutation spell, so the healing works in the Mournlands. (Your wolf can only take advantage of his special ability from the first berry he eats. Nargath, if you don't know what special ability I am talking about, PM me).

 

Anyway, the party returns to Architect and they are informed that anything they find, they should keep. If they can use it, they should. Otherwise, they should hold onto it until they are ready to begin construction of the Body of the Becoming God.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Please choose who is carrying what, and what among the stash is being kept.

 

Continuing on, the party arrives at the outskirts of a ruins. Architect separates the group to try to find an entrance. To the west is a mine shaft (where the party will explore). To the north of the ruins is a large wall where the northern party will look for a weakness. The east of the ruins has an archway covered in glyphs. And the south of the ruins is a collapsed passageway. Each group separates to explore their given objectives.

When the party goes to investigate the mine, everything is quiet. At the base of a low hill, a timbered opening leads into a dark tunnel. At first glance, it looks like any other abandoned mineshaft. Then, with a more careful inspection of the opening, you spot a strange seal emblazoned on the center crossbeam. No one is familiar with the symbol.
OUT OF CHARACTER
What is the marching order? Until otherwise stated, I will need marching order

 

Last edited by shai-hulud on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

User avatar
Nargath
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by Nargath » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:09 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
OK, from now on, I will be taking Goodberry instead of Speak with Animals. Can I make a Survival check to gather some berries to cast the spell later on before we go in to the hole?

 

"Before we delve in to this area, I think we should attempt to identify those vials of liquid are, just in case they may aid us in completeing our task."
OUT OF CHARACTER
I will take point, but I will send Wolf to travel at the back of the party, at least until we rest and I can get the Goodberry spell

 

Image Xandos

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:29 am

As we are travelling, Shard will ask Yahjhank if he can detect any magic on the items recovered. If not, he will go to architect and the other groups to find out if anyone among them could help.

Shard will suggest keeping any magical items and leaving any useless items behind.

Here are the suggestions he makes on a preliminary basis without magical identification:
  • - Double scimitar - Shard will hold onto
    - Small Talenta Tangat - get rid of
    - 1 stick with strange symbols on it - keep (possible wand)
    - A cloak with strange symbols on it - Shard would like to keep this (for appearance)
    - 8 vials of unknown liquids - keep (needs to be identified)
    - A suit of half-plate armor - get rid of (we do not need it)
    - An expensive-looking metal object - Shard will hold onto
    - A piece of paper... some kind of IOU from a place called Kundarak. It appears to be for 400gp - Do not think we need this
    - A total of 250 sp, 38 gp, and 4 pp - Hold onto, someone else want to carry it
When they reach the ruins, Shard will take rear guard with the wolf.

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:10 am

Yahjhank checks the size and ceiling of the area they're fixing to explore from the outside.

"I do not have a spell to figure those out, but I suggest to hold onto the items, either as potential trade value, or let the other group able to use them also, but most of all we need metal for the Becoming God. We can smelt the metal and make it into something else." as he picks up the possible wand and the small talenta tangat, "I'd like to keep this a knife, if you all do not mind just for cutting ropes,as my blade is rather awkward for that purpose, while I try to study this."

He turns and asks, "Anyone injured?"

He looks at the symbol as if puzzled.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Using Knowledge Arcane (+7) and or Spellcraft (+7) to make out the symbol. He'll cast repair on anyone injured, other than the wolf.

 


User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 6004
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Meriden, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:11 am

If the rest of the party is willing to wait, Tracker can find enough berries in four hours, then another hour of prayer, he can change out his Speak with Animals spell for Goodberry. If the group is willing to wait for five hours, that would work fine. It is up to the group. From the looks of it, the other groups are all getting to work. If Tracker would like to try to find someone else to aid his wolf, that would work also.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:57 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
I was under the impression that we travelled at least for a little bit before reaching the ruins. Would it be appropriate to have Tracker either look for berries during that trip or ask members of the other groups for identification of items and healing for the wolf during it?

 


User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 6004
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Meriden, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:25 pm

Absolutely, but making survival checks while moving poses a rather hefty penalty, and in the Mournlands, you are already at a fairly heavy penalty to survival checks. (It is a -10 to survival checks while in the Mournland, plus an additional -10 penalty for making survival checks while moving. That makes your survival check all but impossible. (I set it at a DC 5 to find berries that are not poisoned, but with your +9 and -10 for being in the Mournlands, you have a net -1. Moving at full speed would cause you to have a -11 which would make your check nearly impossible).

Edit: You can make the check at 1/2 speed at no penalty, but you will have to catch up.
Last edited by shai-hulud on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:30 pm

But we can still talk with the other warforged groups that we are travelling with, correct. I am just trying to get clarification (for myself, although I suppose Nargath could use the info as well)

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 6004
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Meriden, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:31 pm

Absolutely, you can talk to whomever you like.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

User avatar
Nargath
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by Nargath » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:03 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry for only thinking of this now guys. Didn't even click that the healers we have would be geared towards healing constructs, not flesh and bones.

 

Tracker wanders over to the other groups, and makes some inquiries as to whether or not they have the ability to heal Wolf, or whether they have any berries in their possession.
OUT OF CHARACTER
If no-one can help, I will command Wolf to stand guard at the front of the door to the mine, and not follow us in. With 1 hp left, he will not be of much use to us, and Tracker does not want to put his faithful companion in to a dangerous situation in the state he is in now.
I also don't want to waste the parties time by having to go look for berries :)

 

Image Xandos

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:38 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Actually, not even a cleric. :oops: Oh, how wide is the cave?

 


User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 6004
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Meriden, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:59 am

Tome says, "I can aid a little. I have studied a great deal of arcane magics." He begins casting, and Wolf feels a little better (details PMed). "It is a temporary solution, and he will only feel better for a couple of minutes, but if you want to take him in the cave, he should be ok for a little while." [Bear's Endurance grants Wolf an additional 6 hp, 2 will remain when the spell wears off]

The cave is about 5' wide, but looks to open up about ten feet down. It is difficult to see how wide it is down there.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:19 am

"Well, it seems we have very little and a tight space to work with in this cave. We might not have the luxury of having a person ahead, so it is up to the rest of you to decide on this. My answer is we all just go in together. I can walk right behind the two of you, since I can at least reach the enemy from there." suggest Yahjhank.

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:22 am

"Well it is in one at a time until it opens up for more room."

Shard awaits the others to enter first before he follows behind them.

"We will probably need light down here as well. Does anyone have a light source."

We still have some items we found which need to be carried:
  • - A suit of half-plate armor
    - A piece of paper... some kind of IOU from a place called Kundarak. It appears to be for 400gp
    - A total of 250 sp, 38 gp, and 4 pp

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:38 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Cantrip Light on a silver coin

 

Yahjhank says, "Hope it is enough."

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 6004
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Meriden, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:53 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Discovered magic items:

Double scimitar - magic
Small Talenta Tangat - masterwork
1 stick with strange symbols on it - magic
A cloak with strange symbols on it - magic
4 vials of unknown liquids - magic
4 vials of unknown liquids
A suit of half-plate armor
An expensive-looking metal object
A piece of paper... some kind of IOU from a place called Kundarak. It appears to be for 400gp
A total of 250 sp, 38 gp, and 4 pp

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

User avatar
Nargath
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by Nargath » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:02 am

Tracker thanks Tome for the healing, and walks back over to his group as they are discussing the entry plans.

"I will head in first if you wish." He bends down to Wolf, who is looking considerably better after being healed by Tome. "I want you to guard the rear of the pack, understand? Stay with the last member."

"I think we should leave some of the gear we picked up earlier hidden near the entrance. No sense in lugging it along with us in confined spaces when it won't help us."
OUT OF CHARACTER
I am referring to the gold, the sword and the armour. There hasn't seemed to be too much intelligent activity, so it should be safe from prying eyes. [OOC]

 

Image Xandos

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:13 am

"I will keep an eye on wolf for you Tracker and try to keep him safe. I agree, lets leave the money and the armor by the entrance to lighten our load."

OOC: Shard is holding on to the sword as a possible usable weapon for him.

"Yahjhank, that should be plenty of light, thank you. Let us go now and find more for our god."

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:11 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Do warforges have place inserts like a compartment or two small ones for their personal wealth?

 


User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:20 pm

valinor wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Do warforges have place inserts like a compartment or two small ones for their personal wealth?

 

warforged pockets??

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:04 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
YEAH!! :P

 


User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 6004
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Meriden, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:27 pm

No, you could eventually get a warforged component attached to yourself that would effectively be a backpack (double the cost of a backpack, but keep the same weight). It would be effectively what you are asking for, but right now, no. You don't have anything like that.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:51 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Just wondering, thanks. Now, back into the game.

 


User avatar
Nargath
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by Nargath » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:02 pm

Satisfied that Wolf is in good hands with Shard, Tracker turns towards the entrance, motions for his companions to follow him, and walks in.

Tracker is going to use Move Silently for the first little bit, until he can get a better idea of how stable this mine is, and what is in it.
Image Xandos

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:42 am

Yahjhank follows behind Tracker around 20 ft away.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 6004
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Meriden, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:26 am

I am taking the order to be Tracker, Yahjhank, Shard, Solan. Also, I apologize, the width of the tunnel entrance is 10 feet, not 5.

As you enter, you notice the carcass of a bird. It is fairly common knowledge, even among the newer warforged, that the flesh races used birds in mines to let them know when poisonous gases were trapped in mine shafts, but this bird was not killed by any gases. It was killed by arrows and a sword. Its murderers were apparently quite cruel, as well. They continued slashing and shooting at it long after it was dead.

Shard feels a sense of fear from something he is carrying. He cannot place the location of the emotion, but it is definitely not coming from himself.

The steep, sloping tunnel into the mine leads to a lange, rough-hewn stone chamber. An opening in the far wall leads to three narrow, snaking tunnels.

There is no light, save for Yahjhank's coin. There is no sound, except the pounding and echoing of the party's footsteps. Nothing seems to stir.

Tracker, however, notices tracks. Someone was here, and recently. Possibly within the last hour or so. Their appears to be a total of eight feet, and he would guess that it is four sets of humanoid footprints.

Beyond the rough hewn area that you just entered, the path splits three ways. The tracks head to the left first, but double back, then they head straight, then double back, and finally, they disappear to the right.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

User avatar
Nargath
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by Nargath » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:04 am

Tracker kneels by the bird and reaches out his hand to it. He stays there in quiet contemplation for a few moments, then gets to his feet.
"May you rejoin your flock with the Becoming God."

Turning to the others, Tracker says "I would like to meet up with those who would desecrate this body, and show them how nature repays them in kind.". He clenches his hand in to a shaking fist.

"Shall we follow the tracks and find out who else might be down here? Or should we continue to search for artifacts?"
Image Xandos

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:50 am

"Interesting." comments Yahjhank. "I suggest to follow the tracks. It might lead us to further our cause or possible things we need for the Becoming God. Either way, we still need to find suitable materials. This way Tracker, you can show these beings what nature have in mind. Wouldn't you agree, Shard?" states the warforge with the scythe.
Last edited by valinor on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:15 am
Location: WINNIPEG, CANADA
Contact:

Post by guysorrow » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:28 pm

"Follow the tracks." says Solan from behind. He readies his greatsword.
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:09 pm

"Agreed. Those who are here should be found." Shard is succinct with his comment.

Post Reply

Return to “FFE - The Becoming God [FULL]”