Keycharm, keycharm, whose got the keycharm? [BG]

Join groups of warforged as they roam the Mournlands in search of proof of their God's divine hand in the creation of Eberron!
shai-hulud
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Keycharm, keycharm, whose got the keycharm? [BG]

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:23 pm

Continuing back to the first rotator room, you have no green switches left to try. Trying a blue switch, the corridor leads to aa closed door. The door is open and untrapped. Inside, the lantern in the room seems to function properly (unlike the lights throughout the rest of the complex). This room is the first to be properly lit.

The room appears to be a small library or study. Two sturdy oak desks are set against the left wall. The rest of the room is filled with shelves lined with scrolls and leather-bound books. On close examination, most of these items appear to be business ledgers: They are concerned with quantities of food purchased, receipts for bulk spell components, and similar kinds of information.

A woman is slumped over the nearer of the two desks not moving. Since one of you made the spot check, I will assume you all know about it: The woman appears to be collapsed on top of an especially ornate scroll.
Last edited by shai-hulud on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:38 pm

"Interesting, this appears to be the first wel lit room of this complex. Shroud, can you tell if that lantern has any magical properties."

Shard will move into the room to investigate the lantern. "Yahjhank, perhaps you could look at these papers and scrolls. They may be of some use to you. I would also suggest looking over the one by the woman carefully."

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by Phoenix512 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:19 pm

"Understood."

Kaito cast Detect Magic to tell if the lantern is magical and possibility anything else in the room.

shai-hulud
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Kaito casts detect magic, and can tell that the room possesses magic. Then next round, she discovers three auras. The third round, she finds that the lamp is magical, the scroll is magical, and one of the books is magical.

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by Phoenix512 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:06 pm

"Shard, you are indeed correct about the lantern. It is magical along with the scroll near the woman and one of the books. I'll examine the magical book first in case that the book was trapped."

Kaito goes to the magical book and examines the book for any traps. If the book is not trapped, Kaito will examine the book.

Nargath
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Post by Nargath » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:05 pm

Tracker will step up to the woman, and examine her more closely, looking for signs of life, or cause of death.
Wolf also comes forwards and starts to sniff around her as well.
Image Xandos

valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by valinor » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:07 am

Yahjhank approaches cautiously for it looks like she's just asleep.

shai-hulud
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:25 pm

Yahkhank looks at the woman and realizes that she is, in fact, dead, although incredibly well preserved. If not for the fact that he can detect no movement from her lungs, he would not be certain. Next, he examines the ornate scroll, and after several seconds of study recognizes the scroll to be a Resist Energy spell. The corpse is also wearing a ring that bears the same symbol that was found elsewhere throughout this complex.

The book contains writing that Kaito does not recognize. It does not appear to be common. He realizes that the symbols are likely arcane.

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by Phoenix512 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:50 pm

"Yahkhank, I think this book is a spellbook. You probably understand this more than I can. If there isn't anything else to do, I suggest we take the lantern with us and head back to the rotator room and try another blue room."

Kaito gives the book to Yahkhank and prepares to leave the room.

valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by valinor » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:58 pm

"That could be useful, as long as you all do not mind. If I take her ring with us for a closer examination?" asks the warforge.

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 pm

OOC: Is the symbol on the ring similar or the same as the scimitar and on the wardrobe we found earlier?

shai-hulud
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:00 pm

Not similar to either, no.

shai-hulud
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:33 pm

The next keycharm spins the rotator room again. Opening the door, there is a narrow corridor running between four rows of floor-to-ceiling shelves, filled with cloth of various kinds (Kaito recognizes it as bedsheets, blankets, towels, and clothing) stacked high upon them. The room is surprisingly free of dust. At the far side of the room, a large basin is set into the floor. As you watch, a clean white tunic floats out of the basin, folds itself, and stacks itself on a shelf.

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by Phoenix512 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:59 pm

"It's a very efficient way to clean and put away clothes and linens. I think we should move to the next room. I don't think there's anything of value here but I'll do a quick search of the room."

Kaito proceeds to search the entire room for anything of value hidden within the room.

shai-hulud
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:05 pm

Much as he expected, Shroud finds nothing of interest, save the basin which does not have any liquid in it. A closer look reveals that it seems to possess some form of magical effect for cleaning, as well. Additionally, Yahjhank recognizes that the floating linen is due to an Unseen Servant spell.

Finally, the last corridor to be accessed by the blue keycharms leads to a corridor. The weakened lanterns that are present throughout the complex shed shadowy illumination here, as well. Kaito and Tracker hear sounds of a crackling flame. Soot and ash coat the entire corridor and stick to the walls and ceiling. A metal door at the end of the hall appears to have melted into slag. All four of you notice a glow such as that cast by a bonfire coming from the room at the end of the hall. Tracker notices a number of human bones mixed in with the soot and ash that covers the floor.

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by Phoenix512 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:17 pm

Kaito proceeds to search for traps suspecting that the cracking flame he heard is part of a trap.

Nargath
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Post by Nargath » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:01 pm

Tracker readies his bow, nocks an arrow to the string, and steps out of anyone's way, so he can get a clear shot of the door if needed. He tells Wolf to stay at his feet.

"I have you covered Kaito. There are bones scattered in this hallway, be careful."
Image Xandos

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:11 pm

Shard stays back out of Trackers way. "Kaito, be careful. This is the first sign of actual human death that we have seen since we have been here."

shai-hulud
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:58 pm

As Kaito begins searching the hall, a ball of flames rolls through the melted doorway and rushes towards Kaito. (Everyone but Kaito may act in the surprise round, as Kaito was occupied looking for traps.)

Initiative:
Yahjhank
Kaito
Tracker
Enemy
Shard

(This means I am expecting a full round of action from Kaito, a standard and full round from everyone else)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shai-hulud
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:17 pm

As valinor is out of town, I will post for Yahjhank. As the flame rolls in, Yahjhank assesses what it may be. Familiar with living spells, he immediately recognizes it. His programming of arcana has granted him immense knowledge regarding this particular type of creature. He says, "That is a Living Flaming Sphere. It will likely try to engulf us in its flames. It is very resistant to nonmagical weapons, although spells should be able to damage it without any trouble. Since Shard has that scimitar, he may be the only one capable of damaging it. I can use this scroll to grant him resistance to its damage that he might take the front line against the creature."

Yahjhank awaits confirmation of his plan (I decided actions based on his knowledge rolls, so his plan might be flawed. Please base your decisions on what your characters might individually be thinking, not based on the fact that this plan came from the DM :P :twisted: ).

Nargath
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Post by Nargath » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:14 pm

"Sounds good, I doubt whether my arrows would work well against it in any case! Adding fuel to the fire so to speak!"
Image Xandos

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:24 pm

Shard pulls the scimatar out. "I am not very familiar with the use of this weapon, but I will see what I can do."

He will move to intercept ball of flame rolling towards Kaito

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by Phoenix512 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:24 pm

Realizing that he did not prep Magic Weapon, Kaito decides to retreat and cast Light of Lunia on himself.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I take a 5-foot step backwards and then cast the spell on himself.

shai-hulud
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:47 pm

Yahjhank retrieves the scroll as he awaits the response from the group.

Tracker tells wolf to hold back as he assesses that he will be more of a hindrance than an asset in this battle.

Shard moves to incercept the sphere, drawing the double-bladed scimitar as he does.

With his plan accepted, Yahjhank moves up to Shard and casts Resist Energy (fire) upon Shard. His spellcasting within his adamantine body is clunky, but successful.

Kaito steps back and casts Light of Lunia upon himself.

Tracker stays put, waiting for his companions to be victorious with Yahjhank's plan.

The flame attempts to engulf Shard (You have a choice: Either take an attack of opportunity and become engulfed, or attempt to avoid by side-stepping, which will cause you to move an additional 5'. If you take the attack of opportunity and become engulfed, you will we grappled on your next turn and unable to wield the scimitar unless you escape the grapple, but if you side-step, the sphere will be capable of attacking your allies.)

Shard's attack will be resolved after his decision above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:33 pm

Realizing that being engulfed will most likely fail him, Shard will sidestep and take the attack of opportunity.

shai-hulud
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:31 am

Sorry, if you side-step, you make a reflex save to avoid becoming engulfed, but you get no attack of opportunity. If you take the attack of opportunity, you cannot take a reflex save to avoid becoming engulfed.

shai-hulud
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:08 pm

The flame attempts to engulf Shard. He side-steps and the flame misses him. His attack, however, is off-balance, as he is unfamiliar with the weapon he is using.

Yahjhank tries his luck at attacking the sphere, fairly certain that his attack will fail. He steps back to get within range, draws his sharrash, and swings. Amazingly, the speed of the weapon through the burning mass temporarily robs some oxygen from the living spell, damaging it ever so slightly.

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:57 pm

Shard will continue his assault on the sphere, trying to get a feel for the new weapon.

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by Phoenix512 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:41 pm

Kaito fires off both Lights of Lunia at the living flaming sphere.

shai-hulud
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:02 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting for Tracker

Return to “FFE - The Becoming God [FULL]”