On your way to Rose Quarry

Join groups of warforged as they roam the Mournlands in search of proof of their God's divine hand in the creation of Eberron!
User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:54 pm

According to the letter from "Lady E.", information about Whitehearth--the secret House Cannith facility that the group investigated--may have originated in Rose Quarry, a town containing a House Cannith outpost outside the Mournlands. Perhaps additional information can be found at the outpost.

After defeating the titan, traveling from the Mournlands is relatively simple. Tracker gains his bearings and quickly leads the group through the dead-gray mist. Two days and two nights pass on the journey, looking for any signs of civilization. Through some backtracking, eventually a path is discovered. It is a deep rut in the ground, as if some hemisphere had dragged itself through the raw earth at tremendous speed, spraying mounds of dirt and stone across the landscape. Whatever did this, it certainly left an easy to follow path in its wake.

Following the path, you eventually see in the distance a very odd sight. It appears that the entire village is covered in a thick layer of glass! It coats the ground. It cascades from the shattered stone walls. Toward the center of the village, one or two buildings appear to be more intact than the rest of the ruins around them. Two other sights leap out at you as you look around. First, you can see the occasional forms of burned dwarves buried within the glass, their expressions twisted in fear and pain. Second, someone has been breaking the glass around some of the ruins, shattering it as though searching for something that may have been trapped within it when the glass cooled and hardened.

Yahjhank realizes what happened:
SpoilerShow
DC 20 Int check: Kaito, Tracker, Yahjhank, Shard Int checks (1d20+2=13, 1d20-1=15, 1d20+3=21, 1d20=2)

Back at Whitehearth, you noticed a molten glass construct. Yahjhank believes that the molten glass construct is just the remains of a device malfunctioning on the Day of Mourning. The device had something to do with glass, and when it malfunctioned, it spewed molten glass far enough that it covered this town!
The mech is too large to fit through the streets, but with the majority of the buildings ruined, it may be possible to pilot the mech to the relatively intact buildings, but it would require some careful piloting because of the slick surface of about one foot of glass combined with the debris from ruined structures.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 994
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:54 am
Location: United States, Ohio

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by Phoenix512 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:20 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Can you take a 20 on a pilot check?

 

Looks like it might be hard to take the mech through the area safely. I suggest that any non-essential crew departs and walk on the streets while the rest of us carefully pilot the mech through the buildings.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by shai-hulud » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:57 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
No, you cannot take 10 or take 20 when there is a potentially bad result from the action, and having the mech trip and fall and possibly break something would be a danger :P

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by valinor » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:46 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
How wide of a berth it will take in order for us to give it some room to walk in? :)

 

Maybe you can shatter some of the glass to get throug with the Mech, if not we can just walk it and make sure our travelling will not giveaway our way of returning. suggests Yahjhank.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by shai-hulud » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:54 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
The mech is gargantuan, the streets are not made for gargantuan creatures. The buildings are too close together, making it so that the mech must knock down the edges of the ruined buildings on one or both sides of the street in order to traverse the streets. Of course, the entire village is probably only a thousand feet or so long, so walking into the village may be a solution if you don't want to risk the mech.

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by klakxor » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:42 am

I say leave the mech behind. We will have enough trouble with the glass as it is and we do not want to damage our newfound treasure.

Shard looks at the glass village, Perhaps we will find something useful here to service the becoming god.

User avatar
Nargath
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by Nargath » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:20 am

Tracker gratefully gets down from the mech.
I know it is a great gift from the Becoming God, but nothing beats walking upon the earth.
Even if it IS all covered in glass.
Image Xandos

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 994
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:54 am
Location: United States, Ohio

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by Phoenix512 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:11 pm

Shard I agreed for now. We could find something towards the goal before we try taking the mech through this glass village.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:18 pm

As the group descends from the mech, the ground view of the ruins looks far different. From the mech, the layer of glass looked thick, but a foot of glass is truly a sight to behold when actually on ground level with it.

Kaito and Shard hear a strange scraping sound, like glass being dragged along grass.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:13 am

As you are standing around on the outskirts of the town, the warforged who aid in getting the mech to move begin asking, Are you going to do anything here? Didn't the letter indicate that this location had some information on the facility where the four of you found the schema? Perhaps somewhere in this town, there is more information to find. We will guard the mech until you return. Perhaps you can start searching around the destroyed buildings. Or maybe investigate that scraping noise. Perhaps there is some machine here that is scraping glass against glass. Or, maybe the two taller building in the center there can offer more information.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by klakxor » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:51 am

Let us head towards the buildings that are still intact.

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by valinor » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:52 pm

That is fine by me, but I am curious of the scraping sound too.

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 994
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:54 am
Location: United States, Ohio

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by Phoenix512 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:43 pm

I rather want to know what was that scraping sound as well. If something is here, we should deal with it before investigating further.

User avatar
Nargath
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by Nargath » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:31 pm

Yes, we should determine if the scraping is a threat. I do not wish the Becoming God's body to be damaged, especially if we could of prevented it.
Image Xandos

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:46 pm

Walking along the glass is a bit precarious. It is not perfectly smooth. You may travel at half speed without a check, but when in a dangerous situation or when trying to move at normal speed, a DC 10 balance check is required. Those with positive Balance skill modifiers may travel at normal speed by taking a 10 on this check.

The screeching sound of glass scraping across glass leads you to a pair of hideous figures. Dwarves who died horribly in fire and molten glass now shamble as zombies. Unlike ordinary zombies, these undead dwarves are covered in a coating of translucent glass that seems to act as an extra layer of skin. The dwarf zombies gaze at you with clear, dead eyes. Because you noticed them first, you have the surprise round. They are 20 feet away. They are in an "alley" between ruined buildings. There is a straight line between you and them, should you decide to charge (and attempt the balance check penalty of -5 for accelerated movement).
OUT OF CHARACTER
I can make a map, if you want. In the meantime, I can post things descriptively. It is easier to write description than create a map.

 

Additional information: Other objects in the area:
Debris is covered in glass and fused with the rest of the glass. If you wanted to pick up debris, you would have to break it off. Very thick glass (1' thick is very thick) is not as easy to break as thin sheets of glass.
Animals tend to stay away from the unnatural area.
To the west (the party's right, as they traveled south to this location) between 130 and 150' away is a river flowing north to south. About 40' ahead is a roadway leading west (towards the river) and 30' after that, another roadway leads to the east. It is about 100' after the second roadway where the two larger buildings are. along the way, there are three sets of ruined buildings on each side of the street, along with whatever might be down the passageways.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by valinor » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:58 pm

Do not approach, just hit them from this distance, if able. urges Yahjhank to the rest.

Although they're made of glass, I suggest to use our fist as a bludgeoning weapon. finishes the grey warforge

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 994
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:54 am
Location: United States, Ohio

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by Phoenix512 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:05 am

Yahjhank, I have a better idea.

Kaito uses Turn Undead on the dwarven glass zombies and fails miserably.

Turn Undead Check (1d20-1=1, 2d6+2=13)

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by valinor » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:50 am

You know talking is less productive nor condusive in this coming possible fight, right? as Yahjhank not realizing that the Turn failed.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Arcane practitioners. :o

 


User avatar
Nargath
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by Nargath » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:13 am

Heeding Yahjhank's advice, Tracker knocks an arrow to his longbow and fires it at the left-most zombie.

Longbow attack on zombie: 1d20+6=9

The shot goes wide, and clinks off some glass on a house in the distance.
Image Xandos

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 994
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:54 am
Location: United States, Ohio

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by Phoenix512 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:11 am

It seems that my god is taking a day off, Yahjhank.

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by klakxor » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:48 pm

I am not equipped to attack from a distance. Shard will move slowly towards the creatures (15 feet), he will swing his spiked chain at one of the dwarves.

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by valinor » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:48 pm

Well, god or no god. It is time to clean this area of a mess not done by us, but by those who tampers with things they should not have. and Yahjhank strikes the blunt end of his sharrash on the ground, as the blade humms and shimmer to the expecting fight.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:14 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Doesn't matter much, as the result is the same, but Kaito should be rolling 1d20+1 for turn checks, not 1d20-1 (the +1 is because of a +2 synergy bonus from 5 ranks of knowledge: religion).

 

Shard snaps his chain at the undead dwarf, but it just bounces harmlessly off of the glass coating:

Attack;Damage (1d20+3=17, 2d4+1=5)

Yahjhank lays down some battle strategy while Tracker's arrow bounces off of the glass creature (you would have hit if not for natural armor).

Meanwhile, Kaito's attempts to channel the energy of Onatar have failed. Perhaps the Becoming God would offer greater power?

The dwarven undead, recognizing the fresh life essence of the living constructs, turn to their victims and begin attacking Shard. The first simply adjusts its positioning, strangely capable of maneuvering on the glass such that Shard is not capable of striking during its movement. The second zombie, however, must move a greater distance, and Shard is able to take a swing at that one:
Attack;Damage (1d20+3=22, 2d4+1=4)

While Shard gets a good whipping action with the spiked portion of his chain, again, the spikes just bounce harmlessly off of the dwarf's glass exterior.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 994
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:54 am
Location: United States, Ohio

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by Phoenix512 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:35 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
I don't have ranks in Knowledge Religion. So is there a way I could get flanking without getting AoO? I have a couple of ideas of what I want to do.

 


User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by valinor » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:52 pm

Yahjhank manuevers his strange weapon and attempts to slash the glass dwarf near Shard.
OUT OF CHARACTER
To hit +5 Dmg 1d10+2 1d20+5=18, 1d10+2=11

 


User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by klakxor » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:57 pm

Shard moves back away from the creatures (10') and swings again with his chain
Last edited by klakxor on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:23 pm

Phoenix512 wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
I don't have ranks in Knowledge Religion. So is there a way I could get flanking without getting AoO? I have a couple of ideas of what I want to do.

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
That's odd... the version of Kaito that I have has max ranks in Knowledge Religion... Let me send you what I have. If I have the wrong version, please send me an updated one.

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
Nargath
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by Nargath » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:39 am

Now that Shard has moved away from the zombies, Trackre takes another shot at the left-most one.
Longbow attack on zombie: 1d20+6=19
Image Xandos

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:42 am

klakxor wrote:Shard moves back away from the creatures (10') and swings again with his chain
Is Shard attempting to 5' adjust? Or is he moving 5' back? (Moving 5' back, no balance check. 5' adjusting requires a balance check at a -5 penalty, so he can't take 10)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Re: On your way to Rose Quarry

Post by klakxor » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:52 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Moving, not adjusting. He is not well enough balanced to make the adjust

 


Post Reply

Return to “FFE - The Becoming God [FULL]”