Scouting ahead [Sammuel and Hannah]

The original game
Locked
User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Scouting ahead [Sammuel and Hannah]

Post by klakxor » Wed May 10, 2006 3:37 pm

It has been two days since you have left Thimblefair on the way to Quiet Pasture in Southern Solace. It is high noon on a sunny day in the middle of the week. The Caravan has stopped for a short break before crossing the Solace River.

Sammuel and Hannah have been asked to scout ahead to the bridge over the Solace River to make sure that the area is clear. After about a half hour ride, you make it the bridge.

The ride to the bridge is free of problems and the bridge itself appears to be in good repair.

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK

Post by draconas » Thu May 11, 2006 3:26 pm

Sammuel rode with his longspear and crossbow near to hand as they scouted. With the convoy stopped he was not in any particular hurry.

While he had a forceful personality and his business manner made any fighter think of the army he was quite happy to chill whilst scouting. "So Hanna what brought you into guarding merchants?"

Observing that the bridge was appearing to be structurally sound he decided that the prudent course of action would be to scout a little ways beyond it for likely ambush hiding spots - likely as not there would be nobody here yet but a few bandit scouts that would blend away from them, but the bridge made a natural ambush point for them so if he could guess where they were going to be then it would make crossing it easier.

User avatar
phoenixx
Knight
Knight
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by phoenixx » Sat May 13, 2006 8:08 am

Well Sammuel, I decided that merchants pay better than the regular army with far less ridiculous rules. Why did you give up the army?"

Hannah agrees with scouting a bit further ahead and checking the area surrounding the bridge on both sides. The area seems too ideal for her comort level, but she is surprised to find herself more comfortable in Sammuels company than she expected.
Forged in fire, wrought of steel.
Madragar- Hannah Jane, Human, Tough

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK

Post by draconas » Sun May 14, 2006 1:43 pm

"Too much peace. I trained as a warmage and did my stint on the border same as everyone else but it was nothingh more than glorified customs policing. So when they downsized tyhe regiment I offered to go and they let me."

He let his horse walk across the bridge so they could check the area around the other side.

User avatar
phoenixx
Knight
Knight
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by phoenixx » Sun May 14, 2006 6:23 pm

Too much peace? Sounds like a disappointment for being in the army. I'm sure their loss will be our gain.

Hannah follows across the bridge so that they can continue their search.
Forged in fire, wrought of steel.
Madragar- Hannah Jane, Human, Tough

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Mon May 15, 2006 10:15 am

The bridge is wide and lets out onto a nice open roadway. There is sparse vegetation on either side of the road. As Hannah rides to the right side of the path, she notices a large opening in the brush that appears as if it was being used recently to hide in.

As she approaches the opening, a snake skitters across her path, startling her horse and throwing her off.

As Sammuel tries to stifle his laughter, his horse also rears and throws him off. Sammuel lands closer to the left side of the path, almost in what seems to be another large opening in the vegetation.

OOC: Sorry guys. I rolled 19/18 for the spot checks to find the openings, and 1/4 for ride checks.

User avatar
phoenixx
Knight
Knight
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by phoenixx » Mon May 15, 2006 11:35 pm

Yeah Sammuel, I bet that looked really funny for a few seconds there. Right until you were looking at from a similar angle?

Hannah gets herself up off the ground, dusts herself off, checks the horse and then checks out the opening in front of her.
Forged in fire, wrought of steel.
Madragar- Hannah Jane, Human, Tough

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK

Post by draconas » Tue May 16, 2006 9:41 am

"Bah" Sammuel muttered something after it about stupid horse as he picked himself up and dusted himself off.

Leaving his longspear stuck in the ground next to his horse he hefted the shortspear and cautiously moved to check out the opening on the left.

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Thu May 18, 2006 10:44 am

As both Sammuel and Hannah check out the openings, they both realize that there has been some activity in the bushes recently (it appears to be within the last couple of days). From the size of the openings, you would guess that six people could easily fit into each clearing.

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK

Post by draconas » Sun May 21, 2006 9:31 am

"I think we have an ambush site don't you?"

Sammuel looked at the bushes, "fancy some agressive pruning? With any luck the banidts will think twice if they don't have their cover, and if they don;t it will at least mean we will see them coming."

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Mon May 22, 2006 2:54 pm

As Sammuel and Hannah trim the shrubery around the openings, they hear music coming from back towards the caravan. As they turn to look back towards the bridge, a large shadow starts to cover the ground around them.

User avatar
phoenixx
Knight
Knight
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by phoenixx » Wed May 24, 2006 8:37 am

Looks like we have company. Hannah says while turning to see what it coming and gearing her mind for battle.
Forged in fire, wrought of steel.
Madragar- Hannah Jane, Human, Tough

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Thu May 25, 2006 2:55 pm

I have not heard from draconas, but suspect he would also be turning and preparing his spear.

As the two of you look up, you see a young gold dragon gliding down and diving into the river about 200 feet upstream.

As you watch for it to re-surface, you see a young elf girl come up out of the water on the other side by the bridge. She appears not to notice the two of you and starts walking up the road toward where the caravan is stopped.

Dragon's of both Chromatic and Metallic types are well known and follow the same structure of alignment as in the Monster Manual.

User avatar
phoenixx
Knight
Knight
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by phoenixx » Fri May 26, 2006 7:49 pm

Well, hell isnt that something. I dont know about you Sammuel, but I just gotta see what this is all about.

Assuming that we are done "pruning" Hannah would want to go back and see find out what is going on.
Forged in fire, wrought of steel.
Madragar- Hannah Jane, Human, Tough

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK

Post by draconas » Sat May 27, 2006 5:43 am

((OOC Appollogies, I got conscripted to heading to a customer site in Cardiff for 3 days and the network their didn't let me login. If they send me back there I'll give some warning. At the moment I'm in Tenby library borrowing their internet))

Sammuel watched in awe, "oh hell yeah. Lets be a bit descrete about it though - I want to know what the dragon is upto and I don't want it pissed off. Hell for all we know she just wants a look around and to see the fair without causing a fuss."

User avatar
phoenixx
Knight
Knight
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by phoenixx » Sun May 28, 2006 5:44 pm

Discretion is my middle name. Hannah says with a grin. Let's do this, I'll follow your lead
Forged in fire, wrought of steel.
Madragar- Hannah Jane, Human, Tough

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Mon May 29, 2006 9:48 pm

Validation tomorrow. Memorial Day in the US and I had homework to finish.

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Tue May 30, 2006 8:15 am

Although neither of you mentioned it, I will assume being descrete would include staying a good distance back from the young elf girl.

The young elf (she doesn't look to be more than 80 years of age) seems to walk directly towards the caravan. Her step does not seem to be slowed by anything in the road, be it a large rock or a big hole.

Every now and then you notice her looking around at the countryside, almost taking in it's serene peacefulness. During one of these times, you can almost swear that she turned and looked right at the two of you.

User avatar
phoenixx
Knight
Knight
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by phoenixx » Tue May 30, 2006 9:52 pm

OOC: Yes that is what discrete means to me, and for the record I will be in Delaware til Thursday or Friday so this is my last reply til then. Internet is spotty in our more southern stores.

Hannah would be quiet and curious and probably hanging abit behind Sammuel as they go to check out the situation. She wouldnt want to startle the creature or make it leave or get angry.
Forged in fire, wrought of steel.
Madragar- Hannah Jane, Human, Tough

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK

Post by draconas » Wed May 31, 2006 1:33 pm

"I think she knows we're here. Feel like a bit of polite conversation with a dragon?"

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:23 am

I have excellent hearing and do know that you are there. I saw you cutting down the bushes before I landed. If you plan to rob me, you should probably know better.

The young elf has turned and is now looking directly at the two of you. She almost seems amused at the situation.

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK

Post by draconas » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:19 am

Sammuel chuckled slightly and then walked forward calmly, tucking his spear across his back.

"I assure you I have no intention of robbing you. My companion and I are from the caravan you are heading to and were scouting the bridge for when we pass it later. We were curious as to what interest you would have in our caravan."

User avatar
phoenixx
Knight
Knight
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by phoenixx » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:34 pm

"Hail and well met. I agree that we mean you no harm and are only curious ourselves"

Hannah, who normally seems confident and unafraid appears a bit like a backward schoolgirl at the moment.
Forged in fire, wrought of steel.
Madragar- Hannah Jane, Human, Tough

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:00 am

Not quite the greeting company that I thought Aros would provide. They are usually much more stealthy. and they don't cut down bushes, but normally hide in them when I fly by.

I'm Taryn, by the way. I hope I didn't interrupt whatever plans you had in those bushes.


She grins a big smile, obviously enjoying (almost playfully) any confusion or uncomfort she may be causing.

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK

Post by draconas » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:16 pm

Sammuel straightened himself to his full height and worked to maintain his compsure, dragon yes, but also friendly or so it seemed.

"We considered that had you been overtly hostile we would have found out about it when we had to dodge your breath."

"You've visited the caravan before then from your familarity"

User avatar
phoenixx
Knight
Knight
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by phoenixx » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:05 pm

Hannah makes a face at the bushes comment and then says" You didnt really seem to be a reason to be frightened, but you did look rather grand flying in. And as far as the bushes go they seemed too likely of a spot for an ambush, and that is just unacceptable."
Forged in fire, wrought of steel.
Madragar- Hannah Jane, Human, Tough

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:43 am

"Oh, I see. Trying to protect the caravan then. I guess Aros must have forgotten my visit. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to surprise him again. If you done with your pruning, maybe you would like to accompany me."

Taryn really doesn't wait for your response, she kind of just turns and starts walking again.

User avatar
phoenixx
Knight
Knight
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by phoenixx » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:14 pm

Hannah looks to Sammuel and says, Shall we get our horses, and go along?" She appears eager not to miss the visit.
Forged in fire, wrought of steel.
Madragar- Hannah Jane, Human, Tough

Locked

Return to “{PbP} The Madragar Archives”