marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

New character concept

Post by marine7312000 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:33 am

Name: "Doc" Lorrie Clevland
Race: Dwarf
Class: Arificer / Alchemist Savant
Description: Lorrie has red hair and deep green eyes. She wears her hair short, cut almost in a crew cut. The right side of her face and arm are horribly scarred in a manner that suggests a mix of fire and acid. Her general build and short hair have caused some to confuse her for a man at first until they see her face. While the scarring does much to cover it, Lorrie was once beautiful. She is very self-conscious about her scars and refuses to discuss them with anyone.
Background: Lorrie was born to a clan in decline. Her parents were both metalworkers, her father a weaponsmith and her mother a jeweller. She was trained from an early age to respect good honest work but her interests turned to magic while she was still young. Her parents couldn't afford to apprentice her to a mage so instead they had her take an apprenticeship with an artificer that was a friend of the family. She spent years learning the applications of his particular form of magic from the artificer and the basics of fighting from her father before she left to travel the world. Shortly afterwards, she met up with a group of adventurers. She joined the group and they worked together for two years before initial raising of Pyraxus. Shortly after, almost her entire group was killed, leaving only herself and a halfling thief alive but not unscathed. For the last ten years, Lorrie has been on the run from one area to the next desperately trying to stay ahead of the armies of the demi-god.

Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:35 am

Tailor wrote:I see a gestalt... if you are going that crazy, let me know, I will adjust accordingly.
As far as I know, he isn't using gestalt characters
R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:17 am

Okay, here it is guys. I said it before and here again

Anything goes guys

With that said, yes rednetra designed a gestalt for his character concept. I said anything and am willing to look at whatever. That does not mean automatic acceptance nor does it mean he will be the same level as the party if he were accepted.

I mean look back through the other concepts. Catalyst worked with me developing a Nimblewright. They have a standard ECL of 16, but we worked together to wittle it down to a reasonable ECL within party guidelines.

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:05 pm

Last chance to post character concepts. I will make decisions over the next day or two and let everyone know what is going on.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:24 pm

Then it seems the right time to post the more detailed character background for Samara that I wrote over the holiday. Happy New Year!

Samara’s Tale

Part 1

In her years eking out a meager living in the alleys and markets of the slums, Samara had learned the hard way the best method for “borrowing” valuables from the unwary. First, people tend to shy away from a tiefling’s approach, so it’s best to come upon them when their backs are turned. Second, even in crowded markets, people get angrier when jostled by tieflings than by other races, so the old “bump and grab” routine used by many scoundrels is risky; better to make the lift without any noticeable contact at all. Finally, when they notice something missing, people blame the tiefling right away, guilty or not. It’s always smart to make yourself scarce right after you’ve got the goods.

The wealthy-looking noblewoman wandering the marketplace today made a nearly perfect target. Her back was turned and she seemed distracted in her argument over the merchant’s wares. There was a strong breeze, so the woman probably wouldn’t notice when Samara gently snatched the jeweled tiara perched precariously atop her beehive hairdo. And there was an alley right nearby, perfect for a quick escape.

Samara walked up nonchalantly behind the noblewoman and, as the wind rose, quickly pulled the tiara from the woman’s head: a near perfect lift … but then something went horribly wrong! The tiara shifted shape into a tattered skullcap and the woman became shorter and wider, revealing her true form: an ugly, hairy, and very angry-looking dwarf! Instantly noticing his disguise gone, the dwarf spun, drawing a razor sharp waraxe. Samara tumbled through the crowd toward the alley with the dwarf on her heels. Samara unleashed a carefully timed burst of darkness as she leapt over a pile of trash. She heard the dwarf curse behind her as he blindly tripped over the trash, and Samara sprinted through the alleyways toward her favorite hiding place.

Finally, with pursuit apparently lost, Samara caught her breath. She’d gotten no pretty jewelry, but it seemed she had something better. She begin to scheme as she thought of the scams she could pull using this nifty new magic hat …

Part 2

Posing as Princess Samara, unmarried heir to the throne of Cromwell, proved easier than expected. No one had seen the old king of Cromwell in years, so her disguise didn’t have to resemble anyone in particular. Samara just had to look human and keep careful track of her tall tales. The masquerade made for a perfect way in to the better circles of city society. Samara spent long weeks at social events and balls until she found the perfect suitor …

“My love, you really need not concern yourself with such boring business matters!” said the merchant “prince.”

“Nonesense!” Samara replied. “When we are wed, I expect to be a full partner in your trade affairs, darling. Plus, I’d like to know what sort of pretty wedding gifts you can afford to buy me.”

As Samara turned the page of the big ledger, she flashed the old fool a charming smile and let the strap of her gown slip down her shoulder, revealing a little more cleavage to help distract Cagun from the copious notes she was taking in her lap beneath the table. She now knew the location of every one of Cagun’s vaults and caches. It was just a matter of determining which ones held the best loot, and then it would be time to bring the charade to an end. She smiled to herself as she thought of silly “Prince” Cagun waiting at the altar while Samara left town with the biggest haul of her career!

It was just that moment when the bedchamber door burst open. Cagun’s chief guard rushed in, shouting, “My Lord! Pyraxus’ forces have entered the town and a cadre of monsters pound upon the manor door as I speak!”

“Princess, hide!” Cagun yelled in terror, “I will organize the guards to protect you!” Before he finished, Samara had already ducked beneath the desk and crawled under the bed …

Samara listened helplessly to the screams of the guards and servants from her hiding place. In the late evening, when all grew silent, Samara crept carefully through the manor into the empty, burning streets of the city. She had to step over Cagun’s body as she exited his bedchamber. She had no love for the old fool, but she felt a twinge of guilt as she remembered his dying moans. He’d fallen defending the door to her hiding place.

“I don’t know who this Pyraxus is, but he’s really messed up a good score for me,” Samara thought to herself as she made her way out of town. The inferno blazing throughout the city made it apparent that none of Cagun’s hidden vaults were accessible to her now …

Part 3

“Princess, the scouts report no contact with Pyraxus’ army this evening. This campsite seems quite safe. Perhaps you should retire to your tent, it has been a long day of marching,” suggested Captain Illivar.

Samara nodded and muttered, too quietly for the good Captain to hear, “I don’t suppose you’d like to join me?” She laughed ironically to herself as she entered the tent. She knew what Illivar’s response would have been had he heard her. The Captain cared only about the safety of his men and his duty to the royal family. Such a pretty face, but so blind to what was right in front of him.

The Princess disguise continued to serve her well, even if it meant Illivar would never dream of sharing her “royal” tent. Other refugees didn’t have a company of royal guards to protect them from the advancing monstrous armies, she thought. She was lucky to have stumbled upon Illivar and his men as they all fled the city.

Samara had scarcely closed her eyes when the screaming started. She dashed out the back of the tent, tossing a globe of darkness behind her as she ran for the nearest copse of trees. If the monsters had gotten past the pickets, she was certainly in no position to stop them. She cringed as she thought of what they’d do to the men … and Illivar …

At dawn, Samara crept through the smoking remains of what had been a campsite the night before. Finally, she found Illivar’s body, horribly burned, right in front of where her tent had been. A single tear rolled down her cheek as she bent to kiss his still lips.

This was it, she thought. Pyraxus wasn’t only bad for business, he had ruined any hope she’d ever known for happiness. Samara decided then and there that she wasn’t hiding any more. She’d learn to fight and have her revenge upon the minions of the demi-god …

Part 4

A quick feint put the ogre off guard, and Samara stabbed her rapier through the softest part of its neck. As the creature fell, she kicked the last mooring line off its piling with her foot, grabbing the loop at the end with her free hand as it flew into the air. More ogres rushed forward, but Samara easily dodged the downward stroke of the first one’s greatclub. The club smashed the rickety dock beneath her feet into splinters and the ogre flailed as it dropped into the water below. Samara’s heels barely skirted the water of the harbor as she swung backwards on the mooring line, toward the hull of the small ship, already beginning to drift away and out of the harbor.

“Tell Trazill and Rawten that Princess Samara Zires of Cromwell will return!” she shouted at the remaining ogres, “And when she does, they’ll pay with their heads!” Samara didn’t care if the ogres understood. She also didn’t care that she didn’t look very royal. She looked like a tiefling, splattered with ogre blood and dangling from a rope against the hull of a slow moving boat. Samara only cared that she’d gotten a very small amount of payback today. And she was finally headed for Ferris, where she’d heard like-minded individuals were gathering. She hoped the rest of her party, already aboard the ship, knew how to get there … She hoped at least one of them knew how to sail …
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

morvegil
Squire
Squire

hi

Post by morvegil » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:27 pm

This campaign still open?

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:22 am

morvegil, since you actually posted right before the deadline, I will give you an opportunity to post a character concept for group 2.

Other then that, posting is closed. I will read through what I have and let everyone know the final decision on Group 1 by Friday (hopefully)

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:13 am

Okay, took a while but here is the first list of players. If you did not make this list, do not fret. I will be starting a second adventure within Madragar sometime in Febuary or March and your character concepts will be for that game. Keep your eye on this thread for information on on that game

Patransom
Character Name: "Princess" Samara Zires
Class: Rogue/Swashbuckler
Race: Tiefling
Race: Aasimar
Class: Fighter
Race: Haf orc/ half dwarf (it's from the midnight campaign setting)

Character Name: "Doc" Lorrie Clevland
Race: Dwarf
Class: Arificer / Alchemist Savant
Race: Human

Character Name: Solon Valtrav
Class: Possibly 1 level of Barbian
Race: Minotaur of Legend (MM2)
Race: Half-Dragon Centaur

Draconas and Marine7312000, I need you to choose which of the 2 character concepts you want to go with.

Character building guidelines. Starting Gold is 50,000 GP for equipment. Ability scores, I trust everyone to be honest so you can roll your own. Same with Hit Points, max at 1rst.

I like to keep things open, so equip yourselves from whatever books you want, but verify with me that I have the book you are using if it is outside the Core, Race, or Complete Series of books. Same thing goes for spells for Spellcasters.

You have had your concepts for a while now, and I am sure many of you have already put most of them together on the Onlysheet. You have until the 18th to finish your characters. I will create a new thread where I would ask you to post your characters.

I would prefer TOS files, but realise that not everyone has TOS+ yet. I will accept MCS files only on the condition that whoever submits plans on upgrading to TOS+ soon (as I prefer it and it makes it easier for me to keep track of whats going on)

Did I miss anything? Bet I did. Let me know.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:29 pm

Name: Bolt
Class: Soulknife (5) Soul Bow (5)
Race: Xeph

Description:
5'5", 100 lbs, Tanned Skin, and Sapphire Eyes - this fellow looks harmless enough. He's not carrying any weapons, wears an explorer's outfit with a well made cloak, boots, a couple of rings, bracelets and a nice hat that keeps his hair out of his eyes - and out through the back in a pony tail.

Background:
Bolt earned his name when studying with his people growing up. At the small age of seven he appeared completely uninterested in his schooling. In fact, if the teacher turned his back on the class for even the shortest of time - he would bolt from the room to explore the caves and mountains of his homeland.
Naturally, there were many repercussions. He gladly paid them - so long as he didn't have to sit around and learn about stupid nobility and boring geography! Still, his parents were noble born, so he had to take all the "appropriate"classes - even Dance lessons! How he hated those! He would sneak into the kitchens and learn from the chefs - since they would hide him from the teachers if he was helpful, and often reward him with a sweet. He would go off with the hunters or the healers helpers - especially Zorna... she was older, but never let on she knew about his crush on her, not even when his little sister teased him about it in front of her.

Oh those long days of old when he could just be a kid and nothing in the future ever mattered.
Since then, times have changed. He learned discipline after his father's death in a hunting accident ended his carefree existence and placed him at the head of the household. He was smart enough to do the job, and smarter still to know that his little sister could do it better. So he left the families business affairs in her hands - and offered what aid he could. The two made a wonderful team and turned their small house into a successful example of Xeph nobility. Now as others court his sister - he takes them aside and makes certain they are worthy. This has caused a bit of friction between him and his sister - who would like to be treated in love with the same respect in which he treats her with regard to the business affairs of the house. To that end he has taken a "vacation", out in the world.

Which brings him here...

Dexter
Squire
Squire

Kim-wo-suu-leh

Post by Dexter » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:32 pm

Okay, I know nothing about this campaign setting; I'm accustomed to playing in homebrew worlds doing tabletop D&D and the only prepublished I know well are Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms. I'll have to have you help me fill in/alter some details, but heregoes (another idea is that if this doesn't resemble anything already in place, perhaps we can integrate it anyways to personalize the gameworld, I dunno):

Name: Kim-wo-suu-leh (Translates in the Common Tounge to "Fern-Grows-By-The-River")
Class: Druid 10

Description:

Kim-wo-suu-leh only pronounces his true name in the deepest of religious ceremonies and with other Yawoni tribesmen, preferring the Common translation of his name, or "Fern" for the sake of brevity.

He was, on a time, the Yawoni Ma-la-wa-hi, or "Old-Man-of-the-Forest," a sort of head curandero or shaman. Though he clothes himself more appropriately for life in civilization these days, he still wears many of the old adornments of his position; a massive necklace created from the front canines of the numerous a-nak-wanna, or displacer beast-like jaguars that roam the dense jungle between the small Yawoni villages, hangs round his shoulders. Fern has long black hair, greying in spots with middle age, but not dramatically. His skin is copper, and his face has the sort of appearance common to the indigenous, with a squatter skull and larger nostrils than the standard humanoid cranial structure. Though one can sense an air of destructive power within the man, he is most frequently genial, and his face is wrinkled from what seems to be a permanent grin augmented by rich, deep laughter. One can easily see that Fern more readily uses his arts for restorative purposes, but not from ignorance of the great fury the world can exhibit. He carries with him a nondescript and mottled wooden staff, it's only remarkable feature being a bent and twisted liana vine that, recessed into a painstakingly carved channel in the wood, seems almost to be growing from within the wood.

Background: (Note on pronunciation- Hyphenated words indicate syllables, to make what are unfamiliar and clumsy pronunciations easier for the reader of this text in Common)

Fern grew to maturity in a small village in (insert any major region of deciduous forest or jungle/rainforest terrain built into the campaign setting here) named Kwama-sala-ma-toe. It was the larger of some twenty-odd Yawoni settlements flung through the tens of thousands of square miles of (blank). Groomed from birth for the path of the Yawoni shaman, Fern was among five or six youths screened during the first years of their life for capability in the skills of the shaman. As one of the few selected every ten years, Fern was taken farther out and pushed harder in hunts with his fellows. At only seven years old, Fern willingly took the Yawoni's shamanic sacrament for the first time, ye'kepo. The intoxicating brew filled his stomach and set his lungs aflame; his breathing was shallow, quick, and his pulse magnified. Voices became indistinct and colors deeper in their intensity than ever he had seen before. It felt to Fern as though his senses had become something alien and entirely unknown. Eyes heavy, Fern closed them, and crossed the blurry and often indistinct border between the physical and spirit worlds of Yawoni cosmology. Then there was clarity, and color fell away from him, replaced by a column of light that was all of the world's divinity, all its many gods in a single, incomprehensible whole. And it spoke, but he could not hear it. He felt the vibrating mumbled words meander toward him, but they remained intangible and inaudible.

When he awoke, he felt elated, airy and refreshed, as one coming out of an ample sleep. On further forays into the jungle, he realized that somehow he knew the names and uses of many plants he had not studied with the Ma-la-wa-hi. He also knew the names of the animals and could speak with them. Not until his me-um-ba-ka-lor, a graduation of sorts, would he recieve such a high dose of the ye'kepo, being administered low doses of the cocktail, or amplified doses of specific ingredients within it. Fern came to learn the pathways to God, both external means like the ye'kepo as well as by force of concentration and meditation. He studied the ancient knowledge of his people, and learned the rest of the names of the forest.

When his studies were complete, it was time for the me-um-ba-ka-lor, the final test of his manhood and wisdom. He was to endure the ye’kepo again, and a stronger dose than ever this time. He knelt before the Godhead again, bare, and stripped of his soul, his very form scattered before divine purity. But his test was not to submit again, but to exist, annihilated and whole, functioning simultaneously in both the spiritual and physical dimensions. When he had achieved the trance, and had become a walker of two worlds, he had become a man and a shaman.

A week after the ceremony, Fern’s master came to him and told him that it was time for Fern to study other parts of the jungle. For four years, the young man wandered the jungle, on a pilgrimage to gather the knowledge of the other Yawoni. When he returned, he took up routine responsibilities as one of the lesser shaman’s in the village. He took a wife, fathered a child, and slowly exceeded the skill of his colleagues. He eventually took the role of Ma-la-wa-hi.

Just a few months into his service as Ma-la-wa-hi, Fern’s village was destroyed by Pyraxus’ hordes. He lost his family, along with many others, but he was able to escape and save a few other villagers. They made their way across Madragar, dodging Pyraxus’ agents, and found their way to the Island of Ferris. Here, Fern has decided to lend his talents to driving back the hordes.

Return to “{PbP} The Madragar Campaign - Game 1”