A Call to Arms [Group 1]

From Ferris to Madragar
Locked
User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK

Post by draconas » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:12 pm

Andrea would sketch the above map for people. Sammuel asked her several questions regarding distances, from the quick way she replied it was obvious that this happened quite a bit.

"I don't think I can catch both leaders in a single fireball. However, what I intend to do is increase the power of my first fireball, the result will be 2 fireballs in quick succession, the first will hit the southern leader the 2nd the northern."

He turned to Andrea, "The increased power will leave be vulnerable while I cast, do you have invisiblity?"

She grinned, "So you want to be invisible and fly? Fine by me. The old magical superioity through faster firepower rountine?"

Sammuel glared at her, "you would prefer we gave them a big hug? Now next question - how close do people think they can get without the orcs noticing?"

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 6180
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:42 pm

Samara listens to Andrea's description of the situation up ahead. "If they don't have some kind of magic alarms, I doubt they'll see me as long as I'm in the trees. If no one's opposed, I'm going to keep scouting a little ahead of you, then try to sneak around the left side of the clearing."

"I'll wait until Captain Sammuel sets off the big boom-booms, then come at them from a different direction from the rest of you. I'm going to try and create a distraction when I come in, so if you hear me shrieking like a little girl, don't worry about it ... that's to confuse them. If you hear me yelling curses like a sailor ... then something went very wrong."


If there are no objections, Samara's going to continue ahead, hiding (+18 ) and moving silently (+16), until she's about 30' from the edge of the clearing. Then she'll sneak around the left side until (1) she runs out of cover, (2) she reaches the complete opposite side, (3) the fireballs start, or (4) she runs into something unexpected.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Post by marine7312000 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:50 pm

Well I'm not exactly the sneaky type so I just really need to get within say shooting distance. Now that we know what we're facing, let's get to it. Any general plans beyond the fireballs? I'm a decent shot but better up close and personal. Plus they're bloody orcs. I REALLY hate orcs.

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 994
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:54 am
Location: United States, Ohio

Post by Phoenix512 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:35 am

"My armor would make it hard for anyone not to notice that I'm coming. That's why I suggested that I'll draw their attention. That way they wouldn't think to look for other people. I'll stay behind until the attack starts."

User avatar
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:44 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post by Flinx » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:13 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Don't forget that I made everybody's movement quiet. I'm assuming that stepping on stick and stuff will still make noise (I just dampened the sound of footsteps, armor and such), but it still should help

 

R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight
Image
Image

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK

Post by draconas » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:40 am

My 2 fireballs will be concetrated on the right, careful on the left flank, I think most of them will be unsinged. I'll focus on them afterwards. Malsvirirlym, if you stay below the tree line until I let rip then provide ranged support on the left flank. I'm sure the rest boys here will be able to cut through anything thats left on the right.

We need to move forward to say within 4 minutes of the camp anyway.

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:44 am

"At this point, I will simply follow. If you want me to charge, Sammuel, just say so. Like I said, you have an impressive mind for tactics, and I trust your plan."
Last edited by Catalyst on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:48 am

Plan on moving this ahead into the fight. Waiting on Tailor to post and for draconas to give me locations to center his fireballs on and then I can kill you all..... er, I mean, begin the fight.

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK

Post by draconas » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:47 am

Ok Sammuels plan:
Under invisibility and fly will fly to directly over them quite a distance up so they can't hear his arcane mutterings. Give people time to set up (probably wait a minute or 2 for everyone else to slip into position)

Round1: Cast Explosive Fireball on square 1111 (+2CL so 5th level spell and Full round action. Any that fail their save get pushed to the edge and knocked prone (and take damage if they hit things on the way, sorry don't have the book or character sheet here, think ref save is DC22)) This should catch 7,8,3 and C2.

FRA means that the spell won't take effect until the start of his next turn (and invisiblity won't break until it happens)

2nd round. Fireball 1108. This should catch 1, C1, 2 and possibly 3 depending on where he gets knocked.

Assuming it works poor orcs take 2 fireballs 1 after the other (since if it works sammuel is the only one that acts on round 1 and round 2 by default starts on his turn as thats when the suprise round end.)


Unless I have misinterpreted the rules somewhere

User avatar
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:44 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post by Flinx » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:23 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
A spell cast as a full round action is different than 1 round casting time. A spell that is cast as a full round action still takes place on your first turn, it just takes both your move action and your standard action.

[quote="SRD"]Sorcerers and Bards

Sorcerers and bards choose spells as they cast them. They can choose when they cast their spells whether to apply their metamagic feats to improve them. As with other spellcasters, the improved spell uses up a higher-level spell slot. But because the sorcerer or bard has not prepared the spell in a metamagic form in advance, he must apply the metamagic feat on the spot. Therefore, such a character must also take more time to cast a metamagic spell (one enhanced by a metamagic feat) than he does to cast a regular spell. If the spell’s normal casting time is 1 standard action, casting a metamagic version is a full-round action for a sorcerer or bard. (This isn’t the same as a 1-round casting time.)

For a spell with a longer casting time, it takes an extra full-round action to cast the spell. [/quote]

sorry to be rules lawyerish on this, just wanted to make sure we get it right

 

R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight
Image
Image

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:37 pm

Flinx wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
A spell cast as a full round action is different than 1 round casting time. A spell that is cast as a full round action still takes place on your first turn, it just takes both your move action and your standard action.

[quote="SRD"]Sorcerers and Bards

Sorcerers and bards choose spells as they cast them. They can choose when they cast their spells whether to apply their metamagic feats to improve them. As with other spellcasters, the improved spell uses up a higher-level spell slot. But because the sorcerer or bard has not prepared the spell in a metamagic form in advance, he must apply the metamagic feat on the spot. Therefore, such a character must also take more time to cast a metamagic spell (one enhanced by a metamagic feat) than he does to cast a regular spell. If the spell’s normal casting time is 1 standard action, casting a metamagic version is a full-round action for a sorcerer or bard. (This isn’t the same as a 1-round casting time.)

For a spell with a longer casting time, it takes an extra full-round action to cast the spell.

 

sorry to be rules lawyerish on this, just wanted to make sure we get it right[/ooc][/quote]

Lol, the bad guys have a lawyer on their side. hahahaha

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:09 pm

OOC: Sorry for waiting on the post, sometimes it doesn't notify me that there are any new developments.

Malsvirirlym will do as has been suggested, and will take flight, moving towards the orc's left just above the tree line and just inside of 2 range increments, e.g. 200 feet away from the clearing along the treetops.

Ready action to move at a slight slope (30%) upwards and forwards toward the orcs and the clearing when he hears the sound of the first fireball. 1 move action, 100 ft. *That is my standard action for the ready action* From this perspective, I would be within the regular range increment of my bow, (110 ft)
Image

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:28 pm

Andraes advances to just about Malsvirirlym's distance away from the Orcs, taking care, of course, to be as quiet at possible and maybe even hiding behind a tree, if there is one that would provide significant cover and will use Cat's Grace (as 4th lvl Sorcerer, to jack it's dex up +4 for the next 4 minutes).
Last edited by Catalyst on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK

Post by draconas » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:10 pm

Appollogies that was me misreading the rules

It will be the first target for the explosive fireball (1111), ignore the bit about the follow up fireball. Everyone will have been told to wait until the first fireball goes off.


edit Sammuel will fly to a height a bit below his medium range spells - about 150 feet in the air.
Last edited by draconas on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Post by marine7312000 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:36 pm

Doc will move to about 150 away from the clearing and find cover with her crossbow loaded and ready.

User avatar
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:44 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post by Flinx » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:51 am

Mar will try to close to about 100 feet from the clearing, so that anything within the clearing will be within 2 range increments, and stand ready with her bow.
R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight
Image
Image

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:38 am

OOC: Very quickly I want to remind the archers in the group that the only reason Mal is not closer, is because he will have a clear shot within one movement.... as the rest of the party is in the forest, I am unsure of the distance within one range increment that a bow or crossbow may be shot within the woods, between the trees, and what not.
Image

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:47 pm

The Plan sets off easily enough and you all move forward quietly enough that it appears that none of the orcs hear you.

Not that you would see, but Sammuel flies into the sky after Andrea casts her spells on him.

His fireball flies down into the encampment, exploding just inside the fire pit the orcs had dug. The explosion knocks out the fire, sending three of the orcs through the air and landing limp on the ground. The commander is still standing and yells at the troops in Orc. It is apparent he knew this was coming.

From the east and west of the clearing, arrow flys at Sammuel and at Malsvirirlym but no one can see where they are coming from.

Sammuel is hit by 3 arrows and Malsvirirlym is struck by 3 as well.

Damage:
Sammuel : 31
Malsvirirlym: 24
(EDIT: I made some errors on the damage, both beneficial and not beneficial, so in the interest of fairness, I am dropping some of the damage taken)

Initiative for the round

Malsvirirlym
Sammuel
Samara
Armite
Andraes
Marsaili
Doc
Andrea


OOC: Orcs are easy targets aren't they, lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by klakxor on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK

Post by draconas » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:28 pm

Highly explosed from his position Sammuel will dive for the southerm treeline and land in the tree. (I think this will take a double move)

User avatar
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:44 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post by Flinx » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:39 pm

I will rapid shot the nearest target that is still standing by the time my turn comes up, and will move on to the next closest if that one should drop.
R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight
Image
Image

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:46 pm

Andraes will advance forward at a run towards the clearing, stopping at the nearest point of cover at the edge of the clearing... Both rapiers drawn.
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:02 pm

Malsvirirlym lets loose a deep bellow at the piercing of the arrows, and dives downward, getting right above a tree, hovering, and drinks a potion.



Diving back the way I came, drink cure light wounds
Image

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 994
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:54 am
Location: United States, Ohio

Post by Phoenix512 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:23 pm

Armite will move towards the clearing as well with his greatsword drawn.
OUT OF CHARACTER
klakxor, do you want to determine what maneuvers I get for the start of combat and each round after that or should I do it?

 


User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:20 pm

OOC: This is out of character, but finally got his picture finished by my friend Lewis. :)

Image
Image

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:21 pm

Phoenix512 wrote:Armite will move towards the clearing as well with his greatsword drawn.
OUT OF CHARACTER
klakxor, do you want to determine what maneuvers I get for the start of combat and each round after that or should I do it?

 

Initial Manuevers Available:

White Raven Attack
Foehammer

To come granted in this order:

Entangling Blade
Radiant Charge
Divine Surge
White Raven Tactics

I know you aren't supposed to know ahead of time, but I will forget every time to let you know

User avatar
marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Round Rock, TX
Contact:

Re: A Call to Arms [Group 1]

Post by marine7312000 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:40 am

Doc will duck behind a tree and take aim at the nearest orc with her crossbow.

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Re: A Call to Arms [Group 1]

Post by klakxor » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:11 am

Sorry for the slight delay. Re-Doing maps to open up placement of Characters. Draconas, you owe me an action for Andrea. Thank you all for your patience

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK

Re: A Call to Arms [Group 1]

Post by draconas » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:23 pm

Andra will move forwards but stay behind the rest of the party (probably near doc). If she can get sight of any orcs she will fire her crossbow.

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Re: A Call to Arms [Group 1]

Post by klakxor » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:21 am

Malsvirirlym roars as he dives to the cover of the trees, obstructing him from view. (8HP healed)

Sammuel also dives for the treecover, hiding himself among the treetops.

Armite and Andraes continue their forward movement towards the clearing as the orcs in the clearing, following directive, line up along the southern area and prepare for whoever comes out.

Marsaili looses 4 shots at the C1, 2 miss but one of the 2 that hit strikes deeply (nice Critical you got there)

Doc follows suit, loosing crossbow bolts at one of the grunts directly in front of him, dropping the poor orc.

Andrea also let a crossbow shot out against one of the orc grunts but it is not as effective as docs

Map Key
S1 = Samara
S2 = Sammuel
M1 = Marsaili
M2 = Malsvirirlym
A1 = Andraes
A2 = Armite
A3 = Andrea
D = Doc (who at least decided to go with a name that didn't start with A, M, or S)

Damage so far
Sammuel = 31
Malsvirirlym = 16

Initiative for the battle stays the same
Malsvirirlym
Sammuel
Samara
Armite
Andraes
Marsaili
Doc
Andrea
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:44 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Re: A Call to Arms [Group 1]

Post by Flinx » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:46 am

Now that they know that we are here, Mar begins to sing (Inspire Courage), and moves 30 feet closer to the clearing.
OUT OF CHARACTER
What did our enemies do on their turn? Also, I noticed new enemy markers on the map. Can we get a description?

 

R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight
Image
Image

Locked

Return to “{PbP} The Madragar Campaign - Game 1”