No
56%

Total votes: 9

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Book of Exalted Deeds

Post by shai-hulud » Mon May 26, 2008 12:04 am

Is anyone interested in playing with the exalted deeds rules? I will only allow the feats if an entire party is willing to play good-aligned (or even exalted) characters. There is no maybe here. If there are at least four players interested in these rules, the book will be available to them only. If a majority want these rules (at least six), it will be required that both parties be good-aligned. Everything that I have read indicates that it is not fun when there is a mix between Exalted and evil in the party (since Exalted characters cannot work with evil characters at all). In fact, even neutral characters have a hard time paying in Exalted parties.

Edit: I am voting No, but my vote doesn't count. I want to make sure to have an accurate count of Yes votes, which is why I am not voting Yes. It has nothing to do with my preference. I go with majority rules. If you decide on an Exalted adventure, prepare for Vile enemies.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Re: Book of Exalted Deeds

Post by marine7312000 » Mon May 26, 2008 12:11 am

While I have no problem with the Book and have made characters using it before, being a "goody-goody" is not my idea for this character.

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Mon May 26, 2008 12:57 am

Considering Nathan's goals in this universe is to personally bitch-slap most of the gods, good or evil, I really don't feel he'd fit in with an exalted party.
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Mon May 26, 2008 8:23 am

Voting 'No' but only because I don't have the book and would have no idea how to work it =P
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

MonkeyAlpha
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by MonkeyAlpha » Tue May 27, 2008 11:17 am

I used a spell out of BoED as inspiration for the redemption of my character in his backstory.

I don't have qualms with exalted PrCs or even characters using the Vow of Poverty; PrCs and the VoP will require Shai to homebrew something and I trust he'll curtail the power curve to fit this campaign (which is precisely what DM's need to do with the BoED).

-Alpha
Image Leenah - Gunslinging Rogue
Image Kirre - Shifter Druid
Image Squirrely - Anthropomorphic Chimp Paladin
Image Rhaz - Shifter Scout/Warblade, Weretouched Master/Warshaper... [eaten by squid]
Image Ween - Whisper Gnome, a silent blade in the darkness and finder of lost treasures
Image Verbal - Warforged speakerbox/wiki
Image Kratos - Redeemed Divine Champion
[url=http://theonlysheet%20.com]Image[/url]

fnord
BARON
BARON

Post by fnord » Tue May 27, 2008 1:35 pm

I must be missing something, BoED is about good characters, not lawful goodie-two-shoe palladins.

So there is an evil character in the group? Great, I will be attempting to redeem him. Plan on killing gods? as long as they aren't the good ones and deserve it. A good character simply has a code of ethics or morals under which he does his slaying.

A good character will not harm innocents (usually), tell me a god that is not guilty of something.

I guess this boils down to, is this campaign about a bunch of nigh-diety mortals deciding to take on the gods for kicks, or have some of the gods done something for which the mice feel they must enter the feline's lair and exact retribution?
Image Frix/Male Pixie
Image was:Nayda/Female Human; now 'Laurai/Female Silver Dragon

valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by valinor » Tue May 27, 2008 1:49 pm

fnord wrote:I must be missing something, BoED is about good characters, not lawful goodie-two-shoe palladins.

So there is an evil character in the group? Great, I will be attempting to redeem him. Plan on killing gods? as long as they aren't the good ones and deserve it. A good character simply has a code of ethics or morals under which he does his slaying.

A good character will not harm innocents (usually), tell me a god that is not guilty of something.

I guess this boils down to, is this campaign about a bunch of nigh-diety mortals deciding to take on the gods for kicks, or have some of the gods done something for which the mice feel they must enter the feline's lair and exact retribution?

Does it really have to be all that? :)
Didn't Zues overthrew the Titans, including his father?

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Tue May 27, 2008 2:12 pm

He's also Chaotic Neutral... *cough*
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Tue May 27, 2008 2:47 pm

fnord wrote:I must be missing something, BoED is about good characters, not lawful goodie-two-shoe palladins.

Yes, you are missing something. We are not talking about good characters, we are discussing exalted characters. There is a VAST difference between the two. Here is an example:
Book of Exalted Deeds page 9 wrote:Good ends might sometimes demand evil means. The means remain evil, however, and so characters who are serious about their good alignment and exalted status cannot resort to them, no matter how great the need.
This is but one example from the text which separates a good character from an exalted one. The moment you "tolerate" a single evil act, you lose your exalted status. If the evil character in the party lies, and you let the lie go, your exalted status is gone. That is the degree of commitment expected from Exalted characters. That is what grants them abilities so far beyond what ordinary characters could achieve.

Now, one could easily argue that these rules are too strict and not fun. But, it is precisely these strict rules which are the balance point for many of the abilities. It is the constant danger of losing one's abilities which balances the power an exalted character can attain. By loosening restrictions, the balance is strained, possibly even lost. It takes an exceptional DM to mix exalted characters with non-exalted ones. I am a good DM, but I am not good enough for that.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:05 pm

To my understanding, CERTAIN Exalted feats are not inherently prohibited in a mixed- party. I can't quite remember the specific feats but I'm pretty sure there are a few. I voted no simply on account of my idea for my character. I imagine him as somewhat jaded to the concepts of good and evil. But again that's me and my character.

valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by valinor » Wed May 28, 2008 12:45 am

Best Example of a PrC is the Grey guard... :)

Since he does things a Paladin can not get away with, but he still remains as a loyal Paladin type for his god and ideals.

Return to “{PbP} God-Slayers [ENDED]”