Rules

Like in real life, the circumstance of your birth are out of your control, but what you make of yourself after that is up to you. Welcome to the Wilderlands, where life is cheap, travel is dangerous and a strong sword arm is worth more than a purse full of gold!
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Rules

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:43 am

Question: Do you use PvP rolls? In my games, rather than having PCs roll against each other, I prefer to have them decide for themselves how they feel they would react to something. Do you prefer that PCs actually rolls opposed skill checks for things like bluff and sense motive?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: Rules

Post by patransom » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:22 am

I think I'll handle that on a case-by-case basis. I hope that player versus player will become a relatively rare occurrence once you've gotten to know each other, anyway.

In this case, Zariena's done a sense motive, which seems a reasonable thing to do in a cell full of prisoners she hasn't met before. If anyone wants to bluff about their circumstances, go ahead and do a bluff roll. If you want to keep the fact that you're bluffing a secret, PM me the roll and I'll determine what to tell Zariena.

I wouldn't use player versus player rolling if someone were attempting to use Diplomacy vs your character, however. In that case, it's really up to you to decide how you react...
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:29 pm

patransom wrote:
Ludyee wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Does Se have cover with relation to Dwanthor if he uses his reach weapon or ray? The answer could mean Dwanthor will Delay or perhaps Ready.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Yes, he has cover because of Rend.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Rend only gives soft cover though, -2, not cover, -4.

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread] Day 24: Mitra's Fist

Post by patransom » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:48 pm

Duniagdra wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER

OUT OF CHARACTER
That distinction does not exist in 3.5. See here

[quote="SRD"]Soft Cover: Creatures, even your enemies, can provide you with cover against ranged attacks, giving you a +4 bonus to AC. However, such soft cover provides no bonus on Reflex saves, nor does soft cover allow you to make a Hide check. [/quote]

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: [Active Thread] Day 24: Mitra's Fist

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:37 pm

patransom wrote:
Duniagdra wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER

OUT OF CHARACTER
That distinction does not exist in 3.5. See here

[quote="SRD"]Soft Cover: Creatures, even your enemies, can provide you with cover against ranged attacks, giving you a +4 bonus to AC. However, such soft cover provides no bonus on Reflex saves, nor does soft cover allow you to make a Hide check.

[/quote]
OUT OF CHARACTER
Ah. Well, I just looked in Pathfinder to see if that's where I mixed up, but it's the same there. Seems I've been doling out the wrong value for soft cover. My bad. :D

Image Image

Ludyee
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Ludyee » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:55 am

[As eldritch blast is a spell-like ability, I am not allowing iterative attacks with it, except in the case of Eldritch Glaive, which explicitly provides for this. We can discuss in the rules thread, if you like]
I was simply going with what the TOS+ sheet indicated in the ranged attack area for Eldritch Blast for the Dwanthor character I downloaded. I once again am finding that the sheet just causes me more confusion then assistence with a Warlock character. I am starting to track Dwanthor on trusty paper if I can't get the confusing elements to disappear in the sheet.
"We're all gonna die." -Billy, Predator

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:25 pm

On the front page, just change the attack type for eldritch blast to SINGLE ATTACK. Then it won't be as confusing.
singleattack.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:46 am

admin wrote:[ooc]
patransom wrote:Bolt of the North Marches (Bo) follows the bandit up the corridor, firing an arrow that manages to find a chink in Gerag's armor [9 hp damage].
Reminder: Bolt is firing through his ally... Even if he has Precise Shot to avoid the -4 penalty to attacks for firing into melle, he would still suffer a penalty for the soft cover provided by B3!! Actually, he's firing through TWO allies... giving Gerag a +8 AC bonus vs his attacks, no? (Since we can't see your rolls, we can't determine if you forgot or not this situation :P )
Soft Cover
Creatures, even your enemies, can provide you with cover against ranged attacks, giving you a +4 bonus to AC. However, such soft cover provides no bonus on Reflex saves, nor does soft cover allow you to make a Hide check.
In the specific case that you're discussing I did give Gerag a +4 to AC and Bolt still hit. I did not give Gerag +8 and for two reasons:

Reason 1: There actually was only one person in the way when Bolt took the shot. Hastor moved after Bolt in the initiative order. But, going forward, there might be two people in the way, so I need to bring up the second reason...

Reason 2: I do not apply an additional cover bonus determined by the number of people in the way (e.g., +8 for two, +12 for three, etc.). I generally apply greater than +4 for cover only in extreme circumstances (such as targeting someone who's behind an arrow slit). This interpretation is supported by the discussion of Varying Degrees of Cover (see here):
SRD wrote:In some cases, cover may provide a greater bonus to AC and Reflex saves. In such situations the normal cover bonuses to AC and Reflex saves can be doubled (to +8 and +4, respectively). A creature with this improved cover effectively gains improved evasion against any attack to which the Reflex save bonus applies. Furthermore, improved cover provides a +10 bonus on Hide checks.
Certainly, some DM's could interpret "in some cases" to mean "anytime there's more than one person in the way," but I don't. I reserve the "improved cover" scenario for special circumstances where cover is very great, but less than total (e.g., the aforementioned arrow slit).

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:17 am

Well, that might be fine in some cases, but soft cover is a defined rule and is applicable in the scenario where multiple creatures (friend and foe) are in the line of fire from the shooter and the target. You might wish to use the rule you quoted above, but Soft cover should prevail regardless. This is not a variant rule, but a core rule, which is the rule set you choose to enforce. :thumb1:
Image Image

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:04 pm

From your link (which is the same one I cited for Varying Degrees of Cover):
Soft Cover wrote:Creatures, even your enemies, can provide you with cover against ranged attacks, giving you a +4 bonus to AC. However, such soft cover provides no bonus on Reflex saves, nor does soft cover allow you to make a Hide check.
I'm not sure we are disagreeing. I am applying soft cover by the rules as written and giving a +4 bonus to AC when "Creatures" provide cover. I interpret "creatures" to mean "one or more creatures." No where in the section on cover (soft or otherwise) does it say "+4 per creature." The only mention of cover greater than +4 (other than "Total Cover" which is a different issue) is under "Varying Degrees of Cover." There it says "in some cases" cover can be +8. It does not define what those cases are. I have explained my particular interpretation of "some cases" above.

Your mileage with other DM's may vary, but I do not believe I am ignoring any core rules or applying a variant rule. I am applying the soft cover rule as written.

EDIT: and note that this interpretation applies equally to PC's and foes, of course. So, when you are shooting past several people, you also are only facing the +4 to AC, not +8.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:45 pm

patransom wrote:From your link (which is the same one I cited for Varying Degrees of Cover):
Soft Cover wrote:Creatures, even your enemies, can provide you with cover against ranged attacks, giving you a +4 bonus to AC. However, such soft cover provides no bonus on Reflex saves, nor does soft cover allow you to make a Hide check.
I'm not sure we are disagreeing. I am applying soft cover by the rules as written and giving a +4 bonus to AC when "Creatures" provide cover. I interpret "creatures" to mean "one or more creatures." No where in the section on cover (soft or otherwise) does it say "+4 per creature." The only mention of cover greater than +4 (other than "Total Cover" which is a different issue) is under "Varying Degrees of Cover." There it says "in some cases" cover can be +8. It does not define what those cases are. I have explained my particular interpretation of "some cases" above.

Your mileage with other DM's may vary, but I do not believe I am ignoring any core rules or applying a variant rule. I am applying the soft cover rule as written.

EDIT: and note that this interpretation applies equally to PC's and foes, of course. So, when you are shooting past several people, you also are only facing the +4 to AC, not +8.
Well, it seems I find myself stumped. While the rule does show "CreatureS, even your enemieS" it does say only "giving you A +4 bonus to AC". I find this annoying because from somewhere I remember there being a +2 to armor, thinking something relating to hard corners maybe (partial cover?). Anyhow, maybe you're right in the RAW AND IAW. I find that it does go both ways and that annoys me.
Image Image

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:13 pm

d20 Modern has varying degrees of cover that start from +2 and go up to +10. Since Modern is based on 3rd edition, it may have been similar in 3.0 and that could be what you're remembering.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Perhaps