Aboard the Wench's Arrow

Like in real life, the circumstance of your birth are out of your control, but what you make of yourself after that is up to you. Welcome to the Wilderlands, where life is cheap, travel is dangerous and a strong sword arm is worth more than a purse full of gold!
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Aboard the Wench's Arrow

Post by patransom » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:37 pm

[ooc]The final character is very close to approval, but not quite complete. However, I promised we'd start today, so I'm putting up this thread as a sort of pre-game roleplay, introduce your character opportunity. The game will start for real as soon as the last character is ready (hopefully very soon), but this thread should give you a chance to get acquainted (if you want) before the "main event" that brings the party together. Feel free to interact with each other and the crew.[/ooc]

You are aboard the merchant galley, Wench's Arrow, sailing south along the coast from Lenap toward Tlan. The departure from Lenap yesterday was a bit delayed by loading of cargo, so the ship did not leave the harbor until several hours after dawn. Still, the wind was good, and the crew pulled hard at the oars, so the Captain, a Ghinoran by the name of Maffirr, seemed pleased with your progress.

Around midnight last night, the ship put in at the small port town of Arngold Quay. There, a half dozen horses were brought aboard, along with a local pilot, whose job, you overheard, was to steer you through the rocky shoals of Bootleg Bay. The Wench's Arrow set sail again well before dawn. The pilot seems to have done his job, for the ship rounded the horn at the mouth of the dangerous bay about a half hour ago, turning due south along the coast again.

Dawn is now breaking on the second day of what is supposed to be a three-day sail to reach Tlan. The deck is a bit crowded with the horses put on in Arngold Quay, but there's a good breeze, so the smell isn't too bad. The coastal waters seem reasonably calm. Off to the west, the coast is covered in a dense forest of mangrove trees. If you look out to sea to the east, however, you will spot a curious sight. Perhaps a dozen miles distant, strange bluish flames can be seen spurting straight into the air, seeming to come from the sea itself.

The good wind means the captain's given the crew a break from rowing, so crew members are available to speak to, if you desire, and even passengers who might be paying their way through work have some time to themselves. Captain Maffirr himself seems to be leaving the steering, for now, up to the pilot hired in Arngold Quay, so even he might be able to spare some time to talk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Re: [Active Thread] Aboard the Wench's Arrow

Post by Benji » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:06 am

Mire is a young lady barely into adulthood. She has short cut sandy blond hair and a robust figure. Possibly because she is travelling the open waters, she wears a fine suit of tiny linked chains and has a massive axe strapped to her back. She rests absently on a massive bow, perhaps waiting for a bird to present itself for some target practice as there is an arrow attached to a thin cord being played with in her hands and a dead seagull at her feet.

She is obviously quite bored with the pace of this ship and occasionally she looks up from her post by the stern to see if anyone else is around with whom she might be able to engage in conversation or perhaps a small training session.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by kabkal » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:35 am

On board you see a riding dog that appears to be playing with someone, yet no one is there. Then out of thin air (at least that is how it seems) you see a rather ugly female (you think, but are not sure) goblin. But then she is gone again. You are not sure if your eyes are playing tricks on you or not. At meal times you are sure you see this goblin so feel a bit better knowing she is actually on board and not a bit of cabin fever. She does not appear very approachable and when asked any questions she answers in as few words as possible.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
Image Gerbull: Tortle Barbarian

The Hunter
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by The Hunter » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:06 pm

Volgen sticks out like a bit of a sore thumb on the ship. He is a well built young Skandik man with long blonde hair slightly braided and pulled back out of the way and has a short and well kept beard. He is a very attractive looking man, so long as the dozens of scars on his hands, face, chest, arms, and back don't bother you. By all appearances it seems he was hired on as help on the ship as he spends much time unarmored in light clothing and unarmed as he helps the crew about various duties and seems to be a competent sailor. At other times though he is dressed in a breastplate armor covered in black bear fur with a large axe in a hopper at his hip and a quiver with spears and javelins on his back. If he seemed imposing before he appears more so now.

Volgen also has a habit of challenging fellow sailors and anyone else the warrior looking type to wrestling matches or brawls, so long as they are allowed aboard whatever ship he's on at the time.

Volgen steps up to the rail and closes his eyes, taking a deep breath, seeming to get a sense of peace from the smell and feel of the winds, the sea and the spray. When at last he exhales and his green eyes open they are glazed with memories and troubled thoughts. He shakes his had as to shrug off the effects of wound as he sees the flames and forces himself back to focus on the here and now. He stares at the phenomenon intently and curiously before snagging a member of the crew with a firm and assertive hand. He doesn't speak much but when he does there's a reason other than simple conversation, such as now, [talk]Sailor, what is that?[/talk] His voice is low, almost a growl and to specify what he is referring to without having to talk more than he needs to he points towards the flames with the hand he is not holding onto the sailor with.
Image Kaladron Daladar-Elf Wizard 2/Fighter 1
Image Daglaron-Elan Psion-Wizard 3/Cerebremancer-Druid 4/Psion-Arcane Hierophant 3
Image Ryder-Halfling Cavalier 4
Image Scorpius Black-Human Rogue 4

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by scarymike23 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:45 am

Not exactly fond of being on the water, you only occasionally see a female city dwarf above deck. Below deck however, she is approachable and friendly, and clearly has made friends with quite a few people. The staff seems to treat her like an old friend, but any level of questioning will reveal she only just met them on this trip. Its strange, as she isn't particularly attractive, even for a dwarf, yet men, and women alike, seem to fawn over her.

She wears no armor, and carries only a short sword at her hip, and a shortbow across her back. Not even 4 feet tall and with flame red hair, Hela always wears a smile.

At dinner, Hela will introduce herself to anyone nice enough to sit near her, and engage in friendly conversation. Anyone willing to do so would find out that she has no agenda for this trip, and is simply traveling and looking for adventure. She hails from Dwarfport in the City State region.
-SM

rednick90
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by rednick90 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:22 am

Sefera Spends most of her time in her room studying her leather bound book. She keeps to herself and rarely talks to those around her. When she does leave her room she is accompanied by a wolf. Standing just under 5 feet tall, she has red hair and has a somewhat thin build. When not in her room she wears a mithril shirt over her green robes. Daily she checks in with her horse, then collects her meal. She will try to sit alone when possible, and avoid answering questions about her journey when engaged in conversation. During meals she can be seen feeding her wolf. Upon seeing the fire she will look at it and try to over hear talk of what it could be.
Image Sabine Human alchemist 4
Image Jormungandr: Dwarf/Fighter
Image Baron Von Freeze: Gnome/Summoner

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:54 pm

[ooc]Posting for smeltdm's character, just so you all know she's also aboard the ship. He's out of town until next week...[/ooc]
Just before dawn, a stout, black-haired human woman sits near the eastern rail, performing a variety of intricate prayers. As dawn breaks, she stands and toasts the rising sun with an ornately-crafted drinking mug. Soon after, as the blue flames draw into view, she raises an eyebrow at the unusual sight. When Volgen grabs a passing sailor to ask about the curious flames, she listens intently...

[ooc]And now to respond to the only NPC interaction requested so far...[/ooc]
The sailor cowers a bit when Volgen places a firm grip on his arm. This was one of the men that the sturdy Skandik thrashed in wrestling yesterday, before Captain Maffirr put a stop to the matches as a disruption of shipboard discipline. (Or because he was losing money betting on them, depending on who you ask.) In any case, the crewman quickly regains his composure. All in all, the brusk Skandik man, he figures, isn't so bad as some of the other odd passengers the Captain's agreed to let on board for this trip. Like that overly manly Altanian girl. Or the strange Karak woman with the animals. Or the Goblin who sometimes isn't there. Really, even that pleasant Dwarf lass, the pretty little girl, and the Apollo-worshiping woman are beginning to worry him. Entirely too many women aboard. It's bad luck to even have one, some sailors say...

Shaking the thoughts of bad luck out of his head, he answers Volgen's growled question. [talk]Them fires mark the Isles of Flame, a ways east o' here. Always leaping from the peaks o' them islands, those flames are. No one's ever found out why, far's I know. But I hears tell of sailors so taken with them fires that they drove their ships right against the rocks out there. So they make a good sighting landmark on our journey, but's best to keep far west o' such strangeness, like we is right now. Better off closer here by the coast, says I.[/talk]

The Hunter
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by The Hunter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:47 am

patransom wrote: Entirely too many women aboard. It's bad luck to even have one, some sailors say...
[ooc]Just realized that Volgen is the only male in the party lol[/ooc]

Volgen nods his agreement to the sailors statement, though the way his green eyes take a bit of effort to be pulled from the sight it is obvious that his curiosity has been awakened. He finally pulls his gaze from the flames and locks his emerald orbs on the sailor, giving him his full attention. He recognizes the man as one of the men he had wrestled the day before and puts his hand on the mans shoulder in an attempt to show respect to a competitor and brotherhood to a fellow sailor, but the gesture may have been lost as the Skandik man felt that the gesture was all that was needed in order to convey the message and instead of verbally congratulating the man on his efforts the day before or saying it was an honor to sail by his side, Volgen moved on to the next thing on his mind, [talk]Tell me of the lands we sail for,[/talk] Volgen pauses for a moment to think perhaps he should be more specific so he makes an attempt. [talk]I will need work and knowledge of the men and beasts that call it home.[/talk]
Image Daglaron-Elan Psion-Wizard 3/Cerebremancer-Druid 4/Psion-Arcane Hierophant 3

rednetra
DUKE
DUKE

Post by rednetra » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:43 am

Domasa is a rather silent young lady but very proper and a hair is never out of place. Always has a hand back on her body and she is always reaching in for stuff to keep her appearance perfect. Every so often she would fly up to the Crows nest to just get a good view of everything. mainly staying near the stern. she does tend to keep to herself unless spoken too. The only weapons she carry's is a short sword she is also wearing a fine and polished set of Elven chain mail armor. If anyone does get a look into her eyes they see an unnatural Emerald Green eyes. She will not look many into the eyes unless asked a direct question. that is the only time she talks as well. She has Brown hair that is cut short and very well kept and her skin tone is of a reddish color. She is just wearing a traveling outfit.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:22 am

The superstitious sailor answers Volgen's question. [talk]We sail for Tlan. Tis a small town and something of a ruin. Even the harbor's tough to sail, 'cause o' sunken ships and mooring chains. But, don' worry, the cap'n knows how to safely reach the berthing points there. In the town, most o' the buildings are nothin' but burnt out shells. But people still live there, some o' 'em inside the shells o' the old houses, some o' 'em underground. The folk are Ghinoran, like me, though they worship the old gods like Enki and Enlil and Utu. Methinks they stay in their wrecked town to sell their potions and cures. Lot's o' those made in Tlan, from the stuff foraged from the jungles. Tis why we sail there, to bring such goods north to the civilized lands.[/talk]

[talk]Don' know much more than that. If ya work in alchemy, or fixing old stone builidings, ya might find work there. 'Course there's always need o' a good sword arm everywhere's, so if yer o' that sort, should be no trouble. Me, I'd stick with sailin' on the Wench. Cap'n pays good an' ya get ta see the world, without too much danger, other than a sea monster or two...[/talk]

[ooc]The game will start for serious with a little action on Monday or Tuesday. smeltdm will be back then. Until then, feel free to continue interacting in this thread.[/ooc]

rednetra
DUKE
DUKE

Post by rednetra » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:36 am

Domasa listens too ever words that she can no matter how big or small it may be. She will never meet anyone eyes but is also very well mannered and groomed.
Last edited by rednetra on Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rednick90
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by rednick90 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:13 am

still listening to the sailor, sefara wonders if there are treasures to be found in the waters around the port.

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:49 am

Mire's ears perk up at the mention of sea monsters, and she's quite disappointed when that topic goes nowhere. Despite that, she doesn't bother to ask for more information, she just keeps her eyes out for another seagull to shoot.

smeltdm
Divine Rank 10
Divine Rank 10

Post by smeltdm » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:36 pm

Straia, finishes her prays and her toast, just in time to catch a conversation on deck by the only male passenger and one of the crew. She lisens in on the conversation.

THINKING: I will need to keep my witts about me...It seems odd to me that this captain would allow so many sisters abord his vessel. Apollo I pray thee see the road before me, as I step out boldly, into the night, for I can scarcley see the way

Straia moves to the blond haired stranger......
[talk]Greetings my name is Straia, and I am also new to these lands. I to am traveling to Tlan in search of work and knowledge of the men and beasts that call it home. Would you be willing to make this a joint endevor?[/talk]

[ooc]Straia is talking to Volgen...of course we don't know each other yet ;)[/ooc]
Image Evan Prost: Halfling/Rogue

Nilrem: Human Wizard/Sorcerer

Image Belor Fletcher Human Cleric of Abadar

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The Hunter
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by The Hunter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:24 am

[talk]I am muscle by trade,[/talk] Volgen says to the sailor, the simple answer an attempt to mask his intellect as he preferred for most to underestimate his intelligence. He nods his thanks to the sailor for his time and information. He then turns as though to cast his gaze and his thoughts back out to sea but instead is confronted by a black-haired human woman.

A bit taken aback at the woman's bold approach, especially to a Skandik, he looked her over for a moment after she asked her question. He liked her boldness. Volgen gave a slight and respectful bow, [talk]I am Volgen,[/talk] he said again with his growl of a voice. He thought about offering to be a bodyguard or muscle for pay but decided he would not treated a woman so. Instead, [talk]We may travel together for as long as you wish. I have no agenda.[/talk]

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by kabkal » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:23 pm

Out of the shadows the ugly goblin appears, and mumbles something, which you think might have been asking to tag along, but you are not 100% sure. She just stands there looking at you two. (Volgen and Satria)

smeltdm
Divine Rank 10
Divine Rank 10

Post by smeltdm » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:40 pm

Straia looks to Volgen, [talk]I think the this young goblin just asked to join us.[/talk] Straira, turns back to the goblin speaking in Ghinoran [talk]Names and introductions may be in order here.[/talk]

rednick90
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by rednick90 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:23 am

After much conversation to herself, Sefera walks over to the small group forming itself. [talk]Greetings. Perhaps you have room in your caravan for another? I find travelling in groups in a new land is the easiest way to go.[/talk]

The Hunter
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by The Hunter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:15 am

Volgen's left eyebrow raised when the...goblin...he wasn't sure if it was male or female, he'd never stopped to figure out how to tell the difference in the past appeared and asked to join. He offered Straia a shrug, [talk]It hasn't done harm to anyone aboard and I've not heard of coin purses growing lighter,[/talk] he chuckles which sounds almost like thunder, [talk]Other than from gambling.[/talk]

His head cocked to the side a bit in confusion as the next woman, one he might have caught a glimpse or two of the entire voyage approached. He gave her a bow and said, [talk]Greetings, I am Volgen. Just the muscle,[/talk] he nods to Straia, [talk]Lady Straia would be the one to ask.[/talk]

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:58 am

[ooc]Contrary to my previous promise, I'm going to let this thread continue a little longer before starting the action, since I like how you're all introducing yourselves.[/ooc]

Benji
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Benji » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:44 am

Seeing a small group start to form, Mire grabs her catch and walks over. Not waiting for a natural lull in the conversation, she instead thrusts the dead seagull into the middle of the gathering. [talk]Bird?[/talk] She drops the creature to the floor with a squelch. [talk]Good. I am Mire. What are you talking about?[/talk]

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by scarymike23 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:25 pm

You see Hela (femail dwarf) appear from below decks, and she looks instantly woozy... She manages to make her way to the group, and politely listens for a bit. When she sees an opening, she says [talk]Hey all, I'm Hela. Quite the ensable we've got on this ship, wouldn't you say[/talk], casting glances at the goblin as she says this. [talk]I'm not to fond of being on the water, to be honest. But I've learned to adjust. That being said....[/talk] Hela makes her way to the rail and leans over... Just in case.
-SM

smeltdm
Divine Rank 10
Divine Rank 10

Post by smeltdm » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:55 pm

Straia, looks to the group that has gathered and suggests.....[talk]Perhaps it would benefit us all if we were to gathered below decks, [whisper]away prying eyes and ears[/whisper], were we might have some drink, food and get to know each other better. Would serve us well if we intend to travel together[/talk]

THINKING: may be better for the dwarf...I think

[talk]And we might get the ships cook to roast that fine bird that Mire has offered up[/talk] A small feast thou it may be. Maybe a silver or two to the cook would help.

[talk]What say ye all?[/talk]

Straia, looks about to see if any of the others she has seen lingering about would be intrested in joining them.............

rednick90
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by rednick90 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:31 pm

[talk]Agreed[/talk] sefera will say glancing at the dwarf

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by scarymike23 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:17 pm

[talk]Yes, a meal![/talk] Hela quickly shuffles off to the dining area, beckoning people to follow.
-SM

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6

Post by kabkal » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:43 pm

The goblin nods her head, mumbles something else that you have no idea what it was, and then follows everyone downstairs. On her way down she whistles a shrill whistle that chills you to the bone and then a dog comes running to join you downstairs.

The Hunter
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by The Hunter » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:12 am

Volgen nods approvingly of Straia's suggestion and a smirk crosses his face at the mention of drink. He waits to be the last one to go below decks. He then realizes as the group that seems to have spontaneous formed before him passes that they are all women except himself.
THINKING: This could very well be a recipe for disaster... he thinks to himself with a mental chuckle.

As he begins to follow below he pauses at the top of steps and looks about the upper deck to see if the sailors are in need of any aid. He fully understands that they are a capable crew but he was born to the seas and his nature would not permit him to leave their company without first making sure that there was not something he needed to do. And his eyes once more go out across the waves and his thoughts almost slip back into memories of the past but, with a growl not of anger but more akin to the physical exertion of lifting something heavy he reels his mind back in and forces himself below decks with his fellow travelers.

smeltdm
Divine Rank 10
Divine Rank 10

Post by smeltdm » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:18 pm

Straia, has scooped up the bird that Mire offered up and moves below decks to locate the ships cook to barterr for the cooks services. Once below decks, Straia cast "Comprehend Languages". Starts in search for the ships cook, but stops and turns to Hela before moving off.....[talk]Hela, I couldn't help but noticed that you seemed to be well liked by all the crew. Would come with me to negotiate for the cooks services for a feast?[/talk]

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by scarymike23 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:42 pm

[talk]Be my pleasure[/talk] says Hela with a smile, obviously please to be below decks again. She then leans in to Straia [whisper]Not sure that bird is exactly the best choice, and the cooks may be insulted. But hey, nobody needs to know.[/whisper] As they walk off Hela begins to tell a charming story about the time she talked a ship captain into letting her stay for free in his room, while the captain himself slept in a guest room.
Last edited by scarymike23 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-SM

rednetra
DUKE
DUKE

Post by rednetra » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:12 am

Domasa will fallow below too listen to the conversation and likes the idea of working this these people [talk]this Might be a lot of fun and far better then sitting just listing to sailors fawn over all us girls[/talk]

Return to “{PbP} The Veil of Ignorance {D&D3.5}”