Shipwrecked!

Like in real life, the circumstance of your birth are out of your control, but what you make of yourself after that is up to you. Welcome to the Wilderlands, where life is cheap, travel is dangerous and a strong sword arm is worth more than a purse full of gold!
User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 6183
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Shipwrecked!

Post by patransom » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:13 am

Yesterday, aboard the Wench's Arrow, a group of passengers came together for a meal of seagull (provided by Mirena, cooked thanks to Hela's influence over the cook) and rations (provided by Domasa). They made tentative plans to join together as an adventuring group once they reached Tlan. While they talked, the ship continued its journey south.

Yesterday afternoon, the Wench's Arrow put in at the village of Willowithy. There was some nervousness among the sailors. You may have overheard mutterings about sea monsters in this harbor. Nevertheless, the cargo of horses and the local pilot from Arngold Quay were put off the ship at Willowithy without incident and the Wench's Arrow soon set out again south along the coast.

Late that evening, the ship passed lights marking another settlement. Anyone who bothered to ask would have learned that those lights belonged to the village of Marcantine, where the Wench's Arrow was built. The voyage after that was unremarkable, with no lights or landmarks visible in the dark of night. Surely, the passengers took this time to sleep, either above or below decks, depending on their preference...

During the night, each of you experienced what seemed a dream of terrible crashing and rocking. In the dream, you grabbed what possessions you could before being plunged into turbulent water. You thrashed about, clinging to whatever you could in the darkness before finally finding what felt like solid ground beneath your feet.

Now it is dawn and you awaken, damp, on a sandy beach. Pieces of ship's timbers and shattered cargo crates are strewn up and down the beach. Apparently, that wasn't a dream! A horse (Sefera's) is running loose up and down the beach, but other than the people you dined with yesterday morning, there are no other signs of life.

The beach slopes up to the west onto a wide, grassy plain. Farther to the west, some miles away, there are signs of hills. Miles to the north, there is a glint of sunlight off water, suggesting a river lies that way.

[ooc]You have all your equipment with you. I'm not that mean.

The color regional map shows the last known civilization (Marcantine) you passed while still awake aboard the ship. But you must be far south of that - a few hours sail, maybe as many as a dozen. The tiny black and white local map has hexes that are 5 miles across, so you have an idea of how far away the only visible landmarks are.[/ooc]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by Benji » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:50 pm

Mire takes a moment to get to her feet and look around. [talk]Hmmf. This is why I don't like the sea.[/talk] She seems to be completely forgetting the other five hundred and seventy two reasons she bored you with on the journey.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

User avatar
rednetra
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 4211
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: New jearsy
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by rednetra » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:31 pm

[talk]What the bloody hell just happened. Let me fly up a bit and see if i can see anything.[/talk]Domasa Flys up and sees nothing and comes back to the land. [talk]nothing i can see for a long while.[/talk][talk]by Eros what the bloody Hell happen.[/talk]
Last edited by rednetra on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
The Hunter
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Butler, Missouri, USA

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by The Hunter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:57 pm

Volgen stands and assesses himself. He's covered in cuts, scraps, and bruises but he seems to not be concerned about any of it. He checks his possessions for just a moment all the while mumbling to himself in Skandik, [talk]By Odin's ravens...what in the Nine Hells happened?[/talk] He doesn't appear alarmed in the least, keeping his calm he looks to Mire who seems to be in good condition, considering the circumstances of course. He made a mental admiration at the woman's strength and endurance. He nodded to her at the comment she made, [talk]The whim of the sea is one of the things that we sailor's love about it. The choice to sail is no different than the choice to draw sword and march into battle.[/talk]

As he speaks he moves to the nearest woman who hasn't fully gotten up and makes sure she is ok. He moves from one to the next aiding them to stand, assessing their injuries and condition. Domasa's comment brings him back to his initial inquiry as to what happened and he attempts to think back to see if he remembers any sign of ill weather or heard any noises from a beast during the incident.
Image
Image Kaladron Daladar-Elf Wizard 2/Fighter 1
Image Daglaron-Elan Psion-Wizard 3/Cerebremancer-Druid 4/Psion-Arcane Hierophant 3
Image Ryder-Halfling Cavalier 4
Image Scorpius Black-Human Rogue 4

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by scarymike23 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:15 pm

Hela takes a while to stand, clearly in shock. With the assistance of Volgen, she makes it to her feet. She looks dazed and says nothing. You recall that she already hates sailing and this will surely sour her to it even further. Assessing her wounds and her gear, she looks around a bit paranoid, draws her shotbow, and then begins to cast. A shimmer of blue light surrounds her for a moment, and then fades away.

[ooc]Casts:
Mage armor (Duration 8 hours)[/ooc]
-SM

User avatar
rednetra
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 4211
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: New jearsy
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by rednetra » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Domasa will walk a bit up on the beach a bit more to make sure not too get further wet. will reach into her bag and pull out a triangle with a black sigil on one side and activate it and a 20 foot square tent with a small hole in the top where smoke is coming out. [talk]At least we can go in and dry off a bit and stay warm. we might wish to keep one person out here to keep a eye and make sure we stay safe. i will gladly stay watch once i get changed.[/talk] She will walk in to the tent and take a travelers outfit and put on dry clothing. Not being modest at all. She will leave her wet clothing hung up to dry best she can. Then after getting changed will fly a bit over the tent keeping a scan of the land keel turning to make sure not too miss something. Using her ability to Detect Magic and her Invocation to see invisible creatures as well as in darkness
Last edited by rednetra on Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
smeltdm
Divine Rank 10
Divine Rank 10
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Leesburg, VA

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by smeltdm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:35 pm

Straia awakens to the sound of crashing waves in complete darkness. Something has gone terribly wrong. Straia makes her way to shore, stumbling over what appears to a large crate, or drift wood, she is not sure.

Straia slums to her knees, looking to the pre-dawn sky and begins to pray.............as dawn breaks and she finishes her devotions to Apollo she notices for the first time in the gathering light her new friends scatter like so much drift wood on the shore.

Straia stands, arm out stretched with her Holy Symbol to Apollo and casts "Sacred Healing" and a shimmering glow surges out from her hand in all directions.

[ooc]All living creatures with in 60' fast healing 3 for 2 rnds.[/ooc]
Image Evan Prost: Halfling/Rogue

Image
Nilrem: Human Wizard/Sorcerer

Image Belor Fletcher Human Cleric of Abadar

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey

rednick90
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:35 am
Location: Grand Haven, MI/ Chicago, IL

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by rednick90 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:44 pm

Sefera awakes very confused. After she gathers her wits about her she reaches into her bag to make sure her book is not ruined. She will then try to collect her horse.
Image Sabine Human alchemist 4
Image Jormungandr: Dwarf/Fighter
Image Baron Von Freeze: Gnome/Summoner

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by kabkal » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:10 pm

The goblin pulls herself out of the water, and really looks no different then normal except her hair is wet, and it looks like she had a bath for the first time in months. She then starts to whistle and call for Sparky, hoping the dog made it to shore safley.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
Image Gerbull: Tortle Barbarian

User avatar
smeltdm
Divine Rank 10
Divine Rank 10
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Leesburg, VA

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by smeltdm » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:19 pm

Straia looks over the party and seeing that know one seems to be injured seriously, makes a suggestion........[talk]Perhaps we should look about and see if there is anything we can recover from the shipwreck. With all these crates laying about surly we can find something useful[/talk]
Image Evan Prost: Halfling/Rogue

Image
Nilrem: Human Wizard/Sorcerer

Image Belor Fletcher Human Cleric of Abadar

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by scarymike23 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Hela nods and begins rummaging through the wreck, looking for goods and signs of survivors. She casts a spell that make her eyes glow momentarily. She is still unusually silent.

[ooc]cast Detect magic and has a search base of 4[/ooc]
-SM

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by kabkal » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:01 pm

The goblin shrugs her shoulders[talk]” Stupid dog”[/talk] is mumbled and then she starts to look through the items washed up on the beach.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
Image Gerbull: Tortle Barbarian

User avatar
rednetra
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 4211
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: New jearsy
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by rednetra » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:38 pm

Upon Hela casting detect magic not sure of the spell, Domasa will say to the group from above the tent [talk]If anyone wants me to i can cast Detect Magic as many time as we might needs also i can identify anything magic if we come across it. Volgen might you have an idea how far we might have sailed. Also does anyone have the skills for scouting into any wilderness.[/talk]
Image

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by kabkal » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:58 pm

Gretchel looks up and for the first time speaks fairly clearly [talk]”I am not use to wilderness, but I can scout if you need me to.”[/talk]
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
Image Gerbull: Tortle Barbarian

User avatar
rednetra
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 4211
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: New jearsy
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by rednetra » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:33 am

[talk]After we Search for anything salvageable and then get in the tent to warm up and dry off and we maybe eat something we should start thinking about what direction we go and find some kind of civilization. I have no real wilderness skills but i do seem to remember a story from one of the Sailors about the starts telling where a person is.[/talk]
Image

rednick90
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:35 am
Location: Grand Haven, MI/ Chicago, IL

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by rednick90 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:35 am

[talk]We know there is a town north. I say we go that way and see about purchasing transportation. I need to think so im gunna go scout a bit.[/talk] With that she will walk north along the beach checking boxes along the way.
Image Sabine Human alchemist 4
Image Jormungandr: Dwarf/Fighter
Image Baron Von Freeze: Gnome/Summoner

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 6183
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by patransom » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:26 am

Straia comes to first in the pre-dawn darkness and begins her prayers. By the time she's done, the sunrise has started and she can see the others. She casts a healing "spell," which takes care of the minor bumps and bruises suffered in the shipwreck. The added vitality may also be what shakes everyone else awake.

Mirena seems to wake up grumpy. She complains bitterly as she surveys her surroundings. Confused instead of grumpy, Domasa flies into the air to get an even better view, but sees nothing more interesting than the hills to the west and the river to the north.

Volgen wakes up somewhat less surprised than the others. After trying to calm Mirena's anger a bit, he thinks about last night. If it was a storm, it was no natural storm, since the approaching swells would certainly have awakened him. It could have been a rogue wave, a waterspout, a hidden reef, a sea monster, a collision with another ship. There's no way of knowing. He helps Hela to her feet. The dwarf casts a protective spell.

Sefera wakes up very confused. She verifies that her book survived the wreck and begins trying to corral the panicked horse. Gratchl the goblin crawls out of the water, seemingly unpurturbed and begins to whistle and call for her riding dog. From behind a rise up the beach, Sparky comes running. With the dog under control, Sefera finds it much easier to calm the horse. Apparently, Sparky was one of the reasons the horse was excited.

Domasa sets up her magical tent and changes into dry clothes. While she does that, Straia, Hela, and Gratchl begin searching through the flotsam washed up on the beach. This turns out to be useful, since each of them finds a small item or two they neglected to grab in the chaos last night. However, there's nothing really useful found from the ship's cargo. A few wet grain sacks and some soggy carrots. But since everyone remembers Domasa's magic "box of nearly unlimited rations" from yesterday, these don't seem too necessary or appetizing.

Emerging from the tent, she flies into the air again for a more careful survey. Even detecting magic and seeing invisible, she doesn't note anything unusual. Hela likewise casts detect magic, focusing more on nearby objects on the beach, but finds nothing.

As the group discusses their options, Sefera suggests heading north toward the last known civilization and begins slowly walking that direction up the beach, examining any additional wreckage along the way...

[ooc]I've updated the local map to more precisely identify your location with a green dot.[/ooc]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

User avatar
smeltdm
Divine Rank 10
Divine Rank 10
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Leesburg, VA

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by smeltdm » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Straia seeing no good reason to head south agrees with Sefera, and comments ......[talk]We should follow Sefera, close enough to support but not so close as to give her away. I’m not all the stealthy and will take position in the middle were I can give support to more of the group.[/talk] then Straia looks to the rest of the group looking for consensues and says....[talk]If thats ok.[/talk]
Image Evan Prost: Halfling/Rogue

Image
Nilrem: Human Wizard/Sorcerer

Image Belor Fletcher Human Cleric of Abadar

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey

User avatar
smeltdm
Divine Rank 10
Divine Rank 10
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Leesburg, VA

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by smeltdm » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:37 pm

Straia then looks to Gratchl......[talk]Sister Gratchl, you seem to be able to move about with out being seen. Could you be out front checking for anything that could be of intrest or a danger to us?[/talk]
Image Evan Prost: Halfling/Rogue

Image
Nilrem: Human Wizard/Sorcerer

Image Belor Fletcher Human Cleric of Abadar

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey

User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by Benji » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:04 pm

[talk]And meat.[/talk] Mire adds. [talk]Boar. Deer. Even Rabbit.[/talk] She grabs her stuff together and adopts a position at the front of the group.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by kabkal » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:41 pm

Gratchl nods about taking the lead, and will then take the point as we move forward. Sparky will stay back with the group so as not to make noise as the goblin moves ahead.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
Image Gerbull: Tortle Barbarian

User avatar
rednetra
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 4211
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: New jearsy
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by rednetra » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Domasa will fly down fold up her tent and put it in bag of tricks. [talk]I can also make myself invisable if needed but i would care to stay in back as my speical ablity works best from a range. It is also not the best for hunting as it tends to do more energy damage then say a arrow.[/talk]
Image

User avatar
The Hunter
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Butler, Missouri, USA

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by The Hunter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Volgen will also help search the wreckage when the group does so. To answer Domasa's question, [talk]Tis hard to judge how far we've gone as the whatever caused the wreck could have carried us a ways.[/talk] As the group begins to gather up and get ready will move to take a forward position as well, perhaps next to Mire. [talk]I've spent much time in the wilds and am a capable hunter.[/talk]

[ooc]Don't have access to my character sheet but when I do I'll roll a Survival check to determine the direction we need to travel and such.[/ooc]
Image
Image Kaladron Daladar-Elf Wizard 2/Fighter 1
Image Daglaron-Elan Psion-Wizard 3/Cerebremancer-Druid 4/Psion-Arcane Hierophant 3
Image Ryder-Halfling Cavalier 4
Image Scorpius Black-Human Rogue 4

User avatar
rednetra
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 4211
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: New jearsy
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by rednetra » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:50 am

[talk]For who ever leads do you wish me to stay in the air and keep my eyes open from above.[/talk]Domasa will ask
Image

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by scarymike23 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:40 am

Hela sticks with the group and finally speaks, although softer than normal "[talk]Heading to the city north makes sense to me. Something isn't right here. Why are we the only ones to survive? I don't like this.[/talk] Hela looks anxious and keeps to the middle to the group.
-SM

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 6183
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by patransom » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:45 pm

The shipwreck survivors head north. There's not really any need for navigation, since the coastline provides an obvious landmark to follow. Moving alertly at the speed of Gratchl and Hela, it takes them two hours to arrive at the river that intersects the coast. The river is deep, but not very swift. Here at its mouth, the river is relatively wide (0.8 miles across), but further upstream it appears to narrow a bit (down to 0.4 miles across, about a mile upstream). Across the river to the northwest, a forest can be seen that grows almost to the coast.

The party will have to cross the river to continue north along the coast...

[ooc]Swimming in the river is only DC10. Taking 10, that is still a problem for Gratchl. It would also be a problem for Domasa, but she can fly. See here about the issues involved with swim checks.

The red X on the map marks your starting point, so you can see how far you've come.[/ooc]

[ae]Domasa Erawn - Fell Flight, See the Unseen
Hela Boatfoot - Mage Armor 6 hours[/ae]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

User avatar
The Hunter
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Butler, Missouri, USA

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by The Hunter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Volgen assess the scene before saying, [talk]I can swim. Might even be able to help any who can't.[/talk]
Image
Image Kaladron Daladar-Elf Wizard 2/Fighter 1
Image Daglaron-Elan Psion-Wizard 3/Cerebremancer-Druid 4/Psion-Arcane Hierophant 3
Image Ryder-Halfling Cavalier 4
Image Scorpius Black-Human Rogue 4

User avatar
rednetra
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 4211
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: New jearsy
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by rednetra » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:36 pm

[talk]I will be able too fly and carry you Gratchl[/talk]Domasa will say.
Image

User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by Benji » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:05 pm

[talk]Hmph. More water.[/talk] Mire moans. Despite her complaining however, she moves down to the waters edge and prepares to dive in.

[ooc]Taking 10 would give her a result of 14.[/ooc]
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

User avatar
smeltdm
Divine Rank 10
Divine Rank 10
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Leesburg, VA

Re: [Active Thread] Shipwrecked!

Post by smeltdm » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Straia curses under her breath for not preparing for this........nervously [talk]Maaaaybeee, we should go upstream were it is a bit narrower.[/talk]
Image Evan Prost: Halfling/Rogue

Image
Nilrem: Human Wizard/Sorcerer

Image Belor Fletcher Human Cleric of Abadar

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} The Veil of Ignorance {D&D3.5}”