[Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Like in real life, the circumstance of your birth are out of your control, but what you make of yourself after that is up to you. Welcome to the Wilderlands, where life is cheap, travel is dangerous and a strong sword arm is worth more than a purse full of gold!
Post Reply
User avatar
rednetra
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 4211
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: New jearsy
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by rednetra » Wed May 02, 2012 1:01 pm

[talk]Volgen if you wish not to use up one of your great weapons then allow me to hoot a bolt of magical energy into the void. It will not take any effort and not use something that you may need in the future to save yours or one of our lives.[/talk]Domasa will add in his voice
Image

User avatar
smeltdm
Divine Rank 10
Divine Rank 10
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Leesburg, VA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by smeltdm » Wed May 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Straia comments... [talk]I will wait for you two to decide weather it be a Javiline or a bolt of magical energy. But I'm more concern about weather I can pass throught the darkness. Will your bolt of magical energy tell me that?[/talk]
Image Evan Prost: Halfling/Rogue

Image
Nilrem: Human Wizard/Sorcerer

Image Belor Fletcher Human Cleric of Abadar

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 6183
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by patransom » Fri May 04, 2012 1:13 pm

[ooc]The DM also awaits a decision on whether you send a javelin through or an eldritch blast. It makes a difference.[/ooc]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

User avatar
The Hunter
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Butler, Missouri, USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by The Hunter » Fri May 04, 2012 7:59 pm

Volgen throws the javelin without waiting for any more deliberation.
Image
Image Kaladron Daladar-Elf Wizard 2/Fighter 1
Image Daglaron-Elan Psion-Wizard 3/Cerebremancer-Druid 4/Psion-Arcane Hierophant 3
Image Ryder-Halfling Cavalier 4
Image Scorpius Black-Human Rogue 4

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by kabkal » Sat May 05, 2012 10:22 pm

Gratchl waiters to see what happens to the javelin.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
Image Gerbull: Tortle Barbarian

User avatar
smeltdm
Divine Rank 10
Divine Rank 10
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Leesburg, VA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by smeltdm » Sat May 05, 2012 10:49 pm

Straia watches see what happens to the javelin.
Image Evan Prost: Halfling/Rogue

Image
Nilrem: Human Wizard/Sorcerer

Image Belor Fletcher Human Cleric of Abadar

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey

User avatar
rednetra
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 4211
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: New jearsy
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by rednetra » Sat May 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Domasa will be ready to blast anything that attacks the party. [ooc]waiting for DM telling us what it does to see if a blast will get fired into the darkness.[/ooc]
Image

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 6183
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by patransom » Sun May 06, 2012 10:20 am

Volgen steps back, leans his axe against the wall, and pulls out a javelin. Gratchl examines the doors she's standing next to. She finds no traps and the doors do not seem to be locked. After some discussion, Volgen flings the javelin into the area of darkness.

When the javelin enters the darkness, the entire room goes black. So dark that even darkvision cannot see. There is the clear sound of the doors through which you entered slamming shut. From all four directions there is a fainter clicking sound, possibly of all the doors locking themselves. Nothing else happens; to your surprise, you hear no riddle being asked.

[ae]Domasa Erawn - See the Unseen, Fell Flight, Walk Unseen
Straia Allan - Magic Vestment 469.0 min, Light 69.1 min left, Detect Evil 76.0 min left (or until concentration ends)
Hela Boatfoot - Comprehend Languages 69.0 min left[/ae]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

User avatar
The Hunter
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Butler, Missouri, USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by The Hunter » Sun May 06, 2012 1:53 pm

Volgen listens to see if he hears his javelin hit the wall on other side of the room, the floor, or anything else while he gropes in the dark for where he last left his axe. [talk]Everyone ok?[/talk]

Listen Check
[dice]0[/dice]

[ooc]He also activates his armors ability to give him the Scent special quality.[/ooc]
Image
Image Kaladron Daladar-Elf Wizard 2/Fighter 1
Image Daglaron-Elan Psion-Wizard 3/Cerebremancer-Druid 4/Psion-Arcane Hierophant 3
Image Ryder-Halfling Cavalier 4
Image Scorpius Black-Human Rogue 4

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 6183
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by patransom » Sun May 06, 2012 4:28 pm

The Hunter wrote:Volgen listens to see if he hears his javelin hit the wall on other side of the room...
[ooc]Ah, yes, I neglected that. Everyone heard Volgen's javelin hit the wall on the other side of the room immediately after the lights went out.[/ooc]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

User avatar
rednetra
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 4211
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: New jearsy
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by rednetra » Sun May 06, 2012 7:33 pm

[ooc]just want to make sure sound is still being heard as normal even if it might be coming from a location we did not think our part member is in.[/ooc]
Image

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 6183
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by patransom » Sat May 12, 2012 10:49 am

After the lights go out, everyone hears Volgen ask [talk]Everyone ok?[/talk] So it's obvious that sound is working normally in the room. Apparently, no one bothers to answer Volgen's question. It seems most of the party is too afraid of the dark...

Volgen reaches back and, after a little fumbling, is able to find his axe right where he left it. Activating his armor's scent ability, he does smell something odd directly south of him (toward the bottom of the map). It is something he's never smelled before, definitely not human, with a hint of charcoal and brimstone.

[ae]Domasa Erawn - See the Unseen, Fell Flight, Walk Unseen
Straia Allan - Magic Vestment 468.9 min, Light 69.0 min left, Detect Evil 75.9 min left (or until concentration ends)
Hela Boatfoot - Comprehend Languages 68.9 min left[/ae]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

User avatar
smeltdm
Divine Rank 10
Divine Rank 10
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Leesburg, VA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by smeltdm » Sat May 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Straia momentarily stunned thinking she has gone blind, finally finds her voice and comments... [talk]No I'm not ok. I can't see a thing. Can anybody else see?[/talk]
Image Evan Prost: Halfling/Rogue

Image
Nilrem: Human Wizard/Sorcerer

Image Belor Fletcher Human Cleric of Abadar

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by kabkal » Sun May 13, 2012 8:56 am

Gratchl tries to speak, but at first cannot. She then says [talk]"OK."[/talk] She then tries to open the door she is standing next to. If it is locked (as she assumes it is) she will try to remember if there was a key hole in the door. If she remembers seeing one she will try to pick the lock. If she cannot remember a lock she will draw her sword and look about hoping her eyes adjust to the darkness. She will also move silently away from where she was (going up) in case there is anything that was bad that heard her speak.

OL [dice]0[/dice]

MS[dice]1[/dice]
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
Image Gerbull: Tortle Barbarian

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by scarymike23 » Sun May 13, 2012 12:13 pm

Hela says [talk]I'm ok. I'm going to try and see if I can get some light in here, though I doubt it will work.[/talk]. She clearly seems shaken by this experience.

Hela casts dancing lights in front of her.
-SM

User avatar
rednetra
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 4211
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: New jearsy
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by rednetra » Sun May 13, 2012 12:19 pm

[talk]I cant see a thing not even with my Darkvision on.[/talk]
use detect Magic again
Image

User avatar
The Hunter
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Butler, Missouri, USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by The Hunter » Mon May 14, 2012 9:22 am

Volgen let's out a low, bear like snarl then says, [talk]I smell something...burnt...[/talk] speaking in a low menacing voice. He takes two steps forward, following the scent his axe ready. He continues to listen for hints of what his nose has told him is in the darkness. He also calls out a challenge. [yell]Speak if you're of a mind to...or come face me...[/yell] he's not even sure if what he smelled is a creature or just some fire pit that had opened up. But his thought is better to be speaking to nothing than to not call somethings attention to him and let it go after one of the others.
Listen check
[dice]0[/dice]
Image
Image Kaladron Daladar-Elf Wizard 2/Fighter 1
Image Daglaron-Elan Psion-Wizard 3/Cerebremancer-Druid 4/Psion-Arcane Hierophant 3
Image Ryder-Halfling Cavalier 4
Image Scorpius Black-Human Rogue 4

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 6183
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by patransom » Mon May 14, 2012 9:27 am

The Hunter wrote:Volgen... takes two steps forward...
[ooc]Is two steps forward just flavor or do you mean to actually move forward? If so, a grid coordinate (0503, 0504, etc) would be of great help...[/ooc]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

User avatar
The Hunter
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Butler, Missouri, USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by The Hunter » Mon May 14, 2012 9:55 am

[ooc]Sorry, Volgen is moving forward two squares to 0504[/ooc]
Image
Image Kaladron Daladar-Elf Wizard 2/Fighter 1
Image Daglaron-Elan Psion-Wizard 3/Cerebremancer-Druid 4/Psion-Arcane Hierophant 3
Image Ryder-Halfling Cavalier 4
Image Scorpius Black-Human Rogue 4

User avatar
smeltdm
Divine Rank 10
Divine Rank 10
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Leesburg, VA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by smeltdm » Mon May 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Straia strains to hear anything, her ears still ringing after Volgen's booming rant at the darkness.
Listen checkShow
[dice=totalonly]0[/dice]
Image Evan Prost: Halfling/Rogue

Image
Nilrem: Human Wizard/Sorcerer

Image Belor Fletcher Human Cleric of Abadar

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 6183
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by patransom » Sat May 19, 2012 9:40 am

As Volgen smells something odd, the rest of the party begins communicating and acting.

Gratchl does not recall a keyhole on the doors. If they're like the others in this place, they lock magically when the rooms do their weirdness, so Gratchl despairs of opening them, especially in the dark. Instead, she draws her sword and sneaks north.

Hela casts a spell, creating some lights. However, the lights cannot be seen in this deep darkness.

Domasa reaches out with her magic senses. The whole room now seems to be emanating a magical aura.

Volgen calls out a challenge and marches forward with his axe ready. To his utter surprise, he steps into a column of light where he can see again! Volgen also hears a slavering, almost demonic voice, whispering directly in his ears, [talk]Ohh, yess, my little trap has caught another fly foolishh enough to enter...[/talk] The voice sounds like it has more to say, but Volgen can still smell the burnt humanoid smell from farther south, in the darkness beyond the column of light [in other words, it's up to him to decide if he's going to wait here and listen or not].

No one else hears the whisper. What they do hear, however, is the sound of heavy footsteps. Very heavy footsteps, like those of a giant. They seem to be approaching from the south.

[ae]Domasa Erawn - See the Unseen, Fell Flight, Walk Unseen
Straia Allan - Magic Vestment 468.8 min, Light 68.9 min left, Detect Evil 75.8 min left (or until concentration ends)
Hela Boatfoot - Comprehend Languages 68.8 min left, Dancing Lights 1 min left[/ae]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

User avatar
The Hunter
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Butler, Missouri, USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by The Hunter » Sat May 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Volgen says, [talk]Where the pillar of darkness was there is now light.[/talk] he says it swiftly so as to let the others know but his mind is mostly preoccupied with his so called captor. He waits, his fingers tightening around his axe. But instead of roaring at charging like his warrior instincts want him to so badly...he holds off and waits to hear what else the thing has to say...and perhaps get a glimpse of what he's up against.
Image
Image Kaladron Daladar-Elf Wizard 2/Fighter 1
Image Daglaron-Elan Psion-Wizard 3/Cerebremancer-Druid 4/Psion-Arcane Hierophant 3
Image Ryder-Halfling Cavalier 4
Image Scorpius Black-Human Rogue 4

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by kabkal » Sun May 20, 2012 9:39 am

Gratchl will stop moving and turn towards the heavy foot steps to see if she can see or hear anything else.

[dice]0[/dice] Listen roll
[dice]1[/dice] spot roll
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
Image Gerbull: Tortle Barbarian

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA

[Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by scarymike23 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Hela casts Mirror image and then moves towards Volgen as far as she can (hoping to find light).


---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?eevi0x
-SM

User avatar
rednetra
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 4211
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 10:11 pm
Location: New jearsy
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by rednetra » Mon May 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Domasa wqill try and get to the center of the room with the best of her memory of how the room was laid out.
Image

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 6183
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by patransom » Mon May 21, 2012 2:01 pm

scarymike23 wrote:Hela casts Mirror image and then moves towards Volgen as far as she can (hoping to find light).
[ooc]Mirror Image is not on your list of spells?[/ooc]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

User avatar
smeltdm
Divine Rank 10
Divine Rank 10
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Leesburg, VA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by smeltdm » Sun May 27, 2012 11:14 pm

Straia moves to her right five feet (to 0402) and cast Prayer.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Upon yourself and your allies while bringing disfavor to your enemies. Allies & foes inside 40' for 8 rounds allies gain a +1 luck bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks, while each foe takes a -1 penalty on such rolls.

 

Image Evan Prost: Halfling/Rogue

Image
Nilrem: Human Wizard/Sorcerer

Image Belor Fletcher Human Cleric of Abadar

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 6183
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by patransom » Mon May 28, 2012 10:31 am

Volgen says, [talk]Where the pillar of darkness was there is now light.[/talk] he says it swiftly so as to let the others know but his mind is mostly preoccupied with his so called captor. He waits, his fingers tightening around his axe. But instead of roaring at charging like his warrior instincts want him to so badly...he holds off and waits to hear what else the thing has to say...and perhaps get a glimpse of what he's up against.

Hela tries to cast a spell that she never learned and, predictably, fails. Then she moves towards Volgen until she reaches the light.

Domasa flies toward where she remembers the center of the room to be and also finds her way into the light.

Straia moves to her right five feet (to 0402) and casts Prayer.

Those inside the column of light can now hear the slavering, almost demonic voice, as it continues to whisper, [talk]...Know you, little flyss, that your doom is at hand. Perhapss, and I repeat, for your ssmall mindss, perhapss I shall allow you to esscape my little trap if...[/talk]

Outside the column of light, Gratchl listens intently. Neither she or Straia can hear the whispering voice. All they hear is the sound of the heavy footsteps, which seem to be getting louder and closer!

[ae]Prayer on everyone (+1 luck bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks): 7 rounds left

Domasa Erawn - See the Unseen, Fell Flight, Walk Unseen
Straia Allan - Magic Vestment 468.7 min, Light 68.8 min left
Hela Boatfoot - Comprehend Languages 68.7 min left, Dancing Lights 1 min left[/ae]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Image Agrous Devone: Human Cleric

User avatar
The Hunter
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Butler, Missouri, USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by The Hunter » Mon May 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Volgen continues to listen as two of his companions come into the light. After Hela steps into the light in front of him he reaches out with a burly hand and clasps her should, [talk]Hela, get behind me...[/talk] he snarls and gives her a firm pull backward, not enough to yank her from her position should choose not to heed him. If she does, he swaps places with her and continues to hear what else the slavering disembodied voice has to say.
Image
Image Kaladron Daladar-Elf Wizard 2/Fighter 1
Image Daglaron-Elan Psion-Wizard 3/Cerebremancer-Druid 4/Psion-Arcane Hierophant 3
Image Ryder-Halfling Cavalier 4
Image Scorpius Black-Human Rogue 4

kabkal
Divine Rank 6
Divine Rank 6
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Wretched Riddles of Redcliffe

Post by kabkal » Mon May 28, 2012 7:16 pm

Gratchl will try to make her way to the light if she can see it. She will be sure to have her sword ready in case of an attack.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
Image Gerbull: Tortle Barbarian

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} The Veil of Ignorance {D&D3.5}”