Main Party: Washup

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Main Party: Washup

Post by draconas » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:51 pm

Hope you all had fun. Some general what happened and feedback

Round 1. The kobolds
I didn't bother rolling for this. You instagibbed the kobolds in one hit and you always hit, so every round you killed the maximum number that you were eligable to.
I did however put 3 kamazakee kobolds in each swarm to make things more interesting. They were a bit tougher and had a tendancy to explode.
It was a pity really, because you were just starting to get a handle on them when Xian set one off accidently, which was a shame because i thought that stunning fist was a really good idea, it just didn't work in that situation.

Round 2. The Trexes
Ogie got the flack immidately here being large and an obvious source of food. By an large i thought everything was going well until Xian charged one. Having seen what they were doing to ogie (+30 on grapple checks is harsh) I would have stayed nice and safe in the trees.
The whole: be eaten, escape and then stand next to the Trex the next turn I found hilarious, and it really confused the poor T-rex.
the T-rexes were the "large single besatie" encounter, i picked them becvause the grapple checks and swallow made it a bit more interesting than straight "see who can deal the most damage fastest"

round 3: 2 arboleths and 1 Squid
In hindsight this turned out to be much more difficult than i had planned. Arboleths are CR7 a squid is CR9. You were a Cr11 party so even with a terrian disadvantage I thought that the main risk would be if the squid got a grapple and dragged someone under (which was planned to be the major threat.)
Round 1: Arboleth 1 dominates the squid. Arboleth 2 tries to dominate the only player it can see (pixie) given pixise was flying and Rhaz and Ogie were in the middle of the island.
Round 2: Arboleth 1 uses programmed image to cover up the fact that the island is sinking. Arboleth 2 uses programmed image to hide the location where they and the squid are about to surface.
Round 3: Arboleths try to dominate Rhaz and Ogie. This is where ogie got unlucky as he only needed a 5, and got a 3. Rhaz has a piss poor will save and got a 5, so it looked like he was being dominated as well, but he pointed out he had an ability to use a concetration check instead. He concentration check is at +12, giving him exactly what he needed (17).
Round 4: Arboleths try to dominate Rhaz and pixie, both attempts fail. the arboleths are now out of dominate attempts for the day.
They hatch the plot to kill off pixie, given he can fly and go invisible. figuring something that small can't have a strong constituion and ogie has poison memorised so ogie was ordered to trick pixie to fly dowhn and become visible, then poison him. This worked perfectly.

after that it was let the squid do its thing against Rhaz, which once again failed (if anyone was readying the iron main game Tannith had a ring of blades up that meant any tentacle that succeeded the grapple check and constricted got minced), Rhaz had natural attacks which can be used when in a grapple, which combined with his very high AC, +10 to grapple checks meant that there was really no hope of dragging him under.

With that concluded the only option became all out offensive so even the arboleths threw themselves onto dry land and flailed wildly with tentacles, though i don't think any of them managed to hit.

---
So thats what happned general points

1. Race/class choices.
Shai did point it out and i did try to hint to people that races with large level adjustments generally suck compared to standard races with max class levels. They just don't have the attacks/caster level/saves to cut it. that is particulally true in a gestalt game where they have effectively lost 2 classes instead of just one. I think wizards put the ECL modifiers extra high to discourage people playing them.

On that subjet class combos. Particulally Rhaz, though i was impressed at your way of countering it. The encounters were all prepared before the first character sheet was uploaded and worked on the principles stated in the SRD/UA for running gestalt games. Generally that you can expect high hitpoints and good saving throws. Creatures that rely primarily on something that requires a save (like dominate) should have their CR reduced by 1 so i assumed they would be even easier. Rhaz has a piss poor will save, as a result of taking many fighter related classes so never getting much from the poor save progression. You gained respect when i found out you had a counter to the worst aspect of the poor will saves and survived the dominate person, but it did take you ages to see through the illusion. PArt of the theory of gestalts is you can have more rounded/varied characters, while you can use very complimentry classes to make very powerful characters in some areas (and Rhaz was awesome for that) they tend to be even more exposed in other areas.

General favourite characters:
Tannith: (i think her combo is awesome and is working really well. Insanity and all
Ogie: Very similar to tannith, but being a big target is guarenteed to pick up the flack
Rhaz: like i said, very single use, but man did he do it well!
Obaron: Pixise sorcerer is very powerful as pixise racials compensate for some sorcerer weaknesses and give you battlefield movement. But the lack of spell evles really hurt you.
Xian: Too high a level adjustment meant you only had 1 monk level, and lack of evasion + lack of HP was your downfall.

2. Teamwork
I think you did okay here. Always room for improvement yes, but there was effort made to help everyone and keep everybody alive.

3. Spellcasting.
I did tell you at the start that spells were on BOGOF. (for those that don't work in retail: Buy One Get One Free). There was a lack of taking advatange of this. For ogie this meant more heals, pixie could have been dishing out a lot more damage, especially against those T-rexes. For every 2 spells you cast you got one back at the end of the round, provided they were the same level. There was no point in just casting 1 spell.

All in all thanks for putting up with me as DM. There will be a new arena starting shortly, with a different concept and some monetary incentives, so watch this space.

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Re: Main Party: Washup

Post by klakxor » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:25 pm

Thank you for DM'ing. I really enjoyed this and was sad to see it ending so quickly.

To date, Ogie has been one of my more creative characters (at least in my mind) and did rather well even though he became a main target right off the bat.

If/When you run another game, I will definately put in to play again. If you run gestalt again, I have a bunch of ideas that I would love to try.

LinusMundane
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by LinusMundane » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:01 pm

Oh it was a good learning experience, I'll say that. I love the way it was run and the idea of the game in general.

I agree with you exactly on the LA and what not, lesson learned there. As far as staying in the trees it just didn't match the personality I had in mind for the character, I couldn't make myself do it.
Image Glugglug; Orcish Paladin of Tyranny
Image Bone Crushnsmash; Fighter of the Bloodthirst School
Image Collin; Monk
Image Nani; Rogue
Image Dwanthor; Hill Dwarf Warlock

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Well, Tanith's not dead yet, but I assume her luck will run out soon enough. She's been close a couple times, and when she runs out of frenzies against the next giant grappler, she might be screwed. (shoulda taken Bull's Strength as one of her spells known)

I've been very surprised how well her combo of classes has worked. I didn't create her specifically to take on this challenge; she was a character I've tried to use in a couple of the games that didn't get very far. She was always a favored soul/stormlord with a level or two of barbarian just for "personality." Since this game was gestalt, it was only appropropriate to make the other half barbarian/frenzied berserker. Seemed to fit the character concept. My only nod to power building was throwing in a couple levels of fighter so she'd have the feats for both prestige classes.

I don't know how a single "iron man" character could have handled this without a combo of healing/attacking. It was really convienient that the good will saves from favored soul pretty much eliminated the main drawback of frenzied berserker (unplanned frenzy). Being alone also means the frenzies are no threat to the rest of the party; although she didn't get to use the Inspire Frenzy special ability.

Fun game and right up Tanith's ally: kill. everything. then smash their skulls.

rednetra
DUKE
DUKE

Post by rednetra » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:45 pm

I had a blast and i should have cast spells more. I am thankful for getting to play and looking forward to put my name in the hat for the next round.

MonkeyAlpha
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by MonkeyAlpha » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:01 am

I really enjoyed your game. Thanks Draconas, I'd love another chance at The Arena

Did Obaron not have Dispel Magic or Break Enchantment to free Ogie?

Rhaz was a lot less effective than I thought he'd be... I was hoping to charge into combat (using pounce and skirmish to maximize damage), then next round use a maneuver and tumble out... then charge into combat again repeat until dead.

Magic Item Compendium's Augment Crystals are so useful for making up for character deficiencies... and I removed Salve of Slipperiness from my inventory at the last second.

Again I have to say that I loved it, and can't wait to give it another go, whether as part of a team or the Iron Man/Woman. I have a new gladiator build that I want to try...

-Alpha
Image Leenah - Gunslinging Rogue
Image Kirre - Shifter Druid
Image Squirrely - Anthropomorphic Chimp Paladin
Image Rhaz - Shifter Scout/Warblade, Weretouched Master/Warshaper... [eaten by squid]
Image Ween - Whisper Gnome, a silent blade in the darkness and finder of lost treasures
Image Verbal - Warforged speakerbox/wiki
Image Kratos - Redeemed Divine Champion
[url=http://theonlysheet%20.com]Image[/url]

rednetra
DUKE
DUKE

Post by rednetra » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:38 pm

Did Obaron not have Dispel Magic or Break Enchantment to free Ogie?
sorry no i did not have that spell. i only had one 3 rd level spell and that was lightning

Return to “{PbP} The Arena Original Game: Main party”