Begin use of the Critical Decks

Millennia ago, the powerful empire of Thassilon ruled the land, dominated by despotic runelords who maintained their power through harnessing the power of rune magic. Thought gone forever, the workings of Thassilon are not so far beneath the surface and one of the runelords plans a return to power. Only the brave adventurers stand in his way.

Moderator: Duniagdra

Add Critical Hit/Fumble Decks to the game

Poll ended at Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:23 pm

Yes, add Hit/Fumble decks to the game
43%
No, do not add Hit/Fumble decks to the game
57%

Total votes: 7

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 2
Divine Rank 2

Begin use of the Critical Decks

Post by Duniagdra » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm considering introducing the Critical Hit/Fumble Decks from Paizo GameMastery. They are 3.5/PF/OGL compatible.
Game Mastery Critical Hit and Fumble Decks wrote:
  • Critical Hit Rules:
    • Player Use:
      • Whenever a player confirms a crit, the player draws one card from the deck and follows the result appropriate to the weapon's damage type (bludgeoning, piercing, slashing). For magical attacks, use the magic entry. For weapons with critical multipliers of x3, the player draws two cards and chooses which effect to use (x4 weapons draw three cards). The player must take the cards result unless it cannot be applied, in which case the player rolls x2 damage normally.
      GM Use:
      • There are three ways a GM can use these cards. Since they can be quite deadly to players, we recommend the first option.
        1. The GM only draws cards for crits scored by major villains or NPCs.
        2. Monsters and NPCs must spend a feat to draw cards when scoring a crit.
        3. All monsters and NPCs draw cards when scoring a crit.
    When monsters score crits, refer to the following guidelines when determining the type of crit. Slams, tail slaps, wing attacks, and tentacles do bludgeoning damage. Bites, stings, and spikes do piercing damage. Claws do slashing damage.
    • Definitions:
      The following terms appear on numerous cards.
      • Bleed:
        • Effects that cause bleed deal the listed amount of damage at the end of the affected character's turn. Unless otherwise noted, all ability bleed is damage (not drain). Bleed can be ended by any magical cure spell or a DC 15 Heal check made as a standard action.
      • Save:
        • Unless a DC is listed, the DC for any save that is called for is equal to the confirmation roll used to score the critical hit (after all modifiers have been applied). Saves only affect additional critical effects, never the base weapon damage.
      • Until Healed:
        • This always refers to the additional damage done or bleed effect, not the weapon (or spell) damage.
  • Critical Fumbles:
    • While critical hits are any everyday part of most games, critical fumbles do not have codified rules. For the purposes of this deck, you can use any of the following simple methods for determining a critical fumble. While the first is recommended, as it is the one that least penalizes players, the later two are a bit simpler to adjudicate.
        1. Whenever an attacker rolls a natural 1 on the die, the attack misses, and there is the threat of a fumble. The attacker must immediately make a confirmation roll, using his full base attack bonus (and accompanying modifiers). If the attack roll would miss the target, the attack fumbles and must draw from the deck.
        2. As per option 1, but instead of using the full base attack bonus, the attacker uses the same modifiers as the first roll. If the attack roll would miss the target, the character fumbles and must draw a card from the deck.
        3. Whenever an attacker rolls a natural 1 on the die, the character fumbles and must draw from the deck.
    • Using the Deck:
      • Whenever an attacker (be it PC, NPC, or monster) confirms a critical fumble, draw one card from the deck and apply the result appropriate to the attack type (melee, ranged, natural, or magic). Natural attacks refer to any attack made with a body part, such as a claw, bite, slam, unarmed strike, tail, or wing. Unless otherwise stated, all of these effects are in addition to the attack failing.
    • Optional Rules:
      • This deck is made so that you can use it in the way that best fits your game. The following are a few examples of optional rules you can employ to adjust how the deck works in your game.
        • If an attacker has a Weapon Focus for the chosen weapon, he may draw two cards from the deck and choose one of the results (from his/her attack type) to apply. A character with Greater Weapon Focus may draw three.
        • If you are using the GM Crit Hit Deck, anytime a player scores a crit hit, he can instead roll normal damage and hold on to the one card. He can exchange this card at any time to negate a crit fumble.
        • Player characters cannot fumble more than once in any combat. All additional attack rolls that result in a natural 1 or 2 on the die are treated as misses.
        • If the attacker is not proficient with the weapon used in the attack, he threatens a fumble on a natural 1 or 2 on the die roll.
        • The spell fumble dramatically increases the chance for a fumble to occur. Optionally, this spell could be the only way a fumble could occur. The effects of this spell are also a suitable choice for bestow curse.
    • Definitions:
      • Save:
        • Unless a DC is listed, the DC for any necessary save is equal to the armor class of the target.
  • New Weapon Ability:
    • Sure Grip Weapon:
      • A sure grip weapon is enhanced to avoid mishaps in battle. Whenever you threaten to critical fumble using a sure grip weapon, you only confirm the fumble if the second roll is a natural 1 on the die.
      • Moderate abjuration; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, remove curse; Price +1 bonus.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

scarymike23
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Re: Begin use of the Critical Decks

Post by scarymike23 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:39 pm

We use these in our weekly game. I like them quite a bit.

As far as NON PC use, we only let non mook bad guys use the cards though, so as to not overwhelm the PCs with criticals. Some of the crits are harsh, and letting some random goblin get a bad ass critical can unbalance the game a bit, in my opinion. However, I'm just throwing this out there, I welcome any use you come up with.
-SM

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:51 pm

My :2c: on this:

I dislike the Fumble for a few reasons:
a) I'm quite good at rolling '1's :P
b) More importantly, if I read the above rules correctly, you have the same probability to roll a natural 20 or a 1 (5%). BUT your probability of getting a fumble with your rolled '1' is much higher, specially for foes that have a high armor class (I remember more than a few games where my high level Monk had to roll 17 or more just to hit normally!). So in these cases, probabilities make fumbles occur MORE OFTEN then confirmed criticals...
c) This should be optional: More then once, I picked a 'card' and was rewarded with a crappy critical (instead of x2 damage, it was x1 damage with some useless stuff that didn't help at all)

Finally, I dislike that the Criticals are used against the players: The DM usually plays a TON of Monsters, which means that sooner or later, anyone will be hit with a crit, which can have Sorry consequences...

One of the GREAT decks we use at the Table Top, is the PLOT TWIST CARDS... Great stuff!!

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 2
Divine Rank 2

Post by Duniagdra » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:54 pm

• Example Critical Hit:
    • Card 1:
      • Bludgeoning
        • Crushed Intestines
          • Normal damage and 1d4 Con bleed (DC 15 Fort negates, save each round).
      • Piercing
        • Lodged In The Bone
          • Double damage and 2 bleed.
            This bleed requires a DC 20 Heal check to stop.
      • Slashing
        • Severed Spine
          • Double damage and 3d6 Dex damage (Fort halves).
      • Magic
        • I Love You, Man
          • Normal damage and target is charmed for 3 rounds (Will negates).
  • Example Critical Fumble:
    • Card 1:
      • Melee
        • Overextended
          • You provoke an attack of opportunity from all adjacent opponents.
      • Ranged
        • Aching Back
          • You are fatigued.
      • Natural
        • Upset Tummy
          • You are sickened for 1d4 rounds.
      • Magic
        • Backblast
          • The attack hits you and is a critical threat. You must roll to confirm the critical hit.
Image Image

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 2
Divine Rank 2

Post by Duniagdra » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Well, Maybe I should have locked this topic until I was done posting. In any regards, 8-) , to answer the above:
scarymike23 wrote:We use these in our weekly game. I like them quite a bit.

As far as NON PC use, we only let non mook bad guys use the cards though, so as to not overwhelm the PCs with criticals. Some of the crits are harsh, and letting some random goblin get a bad ass critical can unbalance the game a bit, in my opinion. However, I'm just throwing this out there, I welcome any use you come up with.
I have no idea what a non mook bad guy is as this is not standard terminology I'm used to seeing. My intention is to limit these to only the main villains in the game. Encountering a group of 4 orcs will not mean that 4 orcs score a threat a crit and thus can get a crit hit card. Encountering 4 orcs, and one of them happen to be a chieftain, the chieftain will have access to both decks.
These decks would not be implemented into the game during any mid-combat scenario.
admin wrote:My :2c: on this:

I dislike the Fumble for a few reasons:
a) I'm quite good at rolling '1's :P
b) More importantly, if I read the above rules correctly, you have the same probability to roll a natural 20 or a 1 (5%). BUT your probability of getting a fumble with your rolled '1' is much higher, specially for foes that have a high armor class (I remember more than a few games where my high level Monk had to roll 17 or more just to hit normally!). So in these cases, probabilities make fumbles occur MORE OFTEN then confirmed criticals...
c) This should be optional: More then once, I picked a 'card' and was rewarded with a crappy critical (instead of x2 damage, it was x1 damage with some useless stuff that didn't help at all)

Finally, I dislike that the Criticals are used against the players: The DM usually plays a TON of Monsters, which means that sooner or later, anyone will be hit with a crit, which can have Sorry consequences...

One of the GREAT decks we use at the Table Top, is the PLOT TWIST CARDS... Great stuff!!
  1. Point 1 is not a valid reason for disqualifying crit decks, hit or fumble. :mrgreen:
  2. My suggestion with the fumbles would be to go with as recommended, option 1, which does give the attacker the best chance at not fumbling. The target's AC does not matter as you would get two chances to not fumble by this rule.
  3. I'm not sure of your meaning, "This should be optional." Are you suggesting that the decks be made optional to players if voted to be implemented? That's not possible.
  4. As I said before, people are jumping the gun in making unvalidated assumptions. You're assuming I would apply this to all foes you face as if I'm an unfair DM. As I stated before, above, I'll say again. The decks would only be available to main foes.
I took a look at the twist cards and in no way would I enter those into play.
Image Image

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 2
Divine Rank 2

Post by Duniagdra » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:35 pm

How I would implement the Critical Hit/Fumble decks is as follows:

The player would roll on IC 1d52 for 2x weapons, 2d52 for 3x and 3d52 for 4x weapons.
The player would then refer to a master list thread of all the cards (and indicate the one chosen if able to pick) and post accordingly.

Only key foes would have access to the decks. Chieftains, lead villains, sole wandering monsters that would be considered lead villain type.

Once chosen, all players will be bound to the deck, including the DM.
And consider that in a time of large battles, there could be multiple lead villains involved. In times like this, I would not permit more than two villains access to the deck, and take objections from players at times of concern.
Image Image

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 2
Divine Rank 2

Post by Duniagdra » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:35 pm

Please place your vote in the poll above.
Image Image

Return to “{PbP} Rise of the RuneLords {Pathfinder}”