[RotR - Module II] Part I

Millennia ago, the powerful empire of Thassilon ruled the land, dominated by despotic runelords who maintained their power through harnessing the power of rune magic. Thought gone forever, the workings of Thassilon are not so far beneath the surface and one of the runelords plans a return to power. Only the brave adventurers stand in his way.

Moderator: Duniagdra

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

[RotR - Module II] Part I

Post by Duniagdra » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:30 pm

ImageFor all that went on, the town of Sandpoint and her people seem better for the worse. It's been a few weeks now since returning from Thistletop and all reports from hunters and the rangers scouting about the wilds is that all the goblin tribes have returned to their typical internal squabbling and thus should not be further threat for a time at least. Yiri, upon returning to Sandpoint had bid her farewell, as has Ryder with his trusty companion Storm. After discussion and agreement, Ash and Vanya fill in the missing spots.
ImageAfter some diligent investigating, Violasha manages to find someone in Sandpoint willing to sell off a haversack to her for a decently negotiated price of 1500 gold.
ImageCarter has a much harder time with his search, but eventually finds a headband of alluring charisma, but the seller was much more demanding on the price. Eventually they settle at a rate of 3800 gold.
ImageSelling off the loot found is another of the reasons that so much time has past, but after all is done, all the loot that's to be sold has been sold. The rest is split up so those best suited for them can put them to the best use.
ImageIt's not long though before you learn Sheriff Hemlock is looking for you. You're quick to make your way over to where he's expected to be. Upon sighting you, Hemlock nods to you and signals for you to meet him away from any ears.
Image[talk]First, let me thank you again for all you’ve done for Sandpoint. It’s fortunate you’ve proven yourselves so capable, because we’ve a problem I think you can help us with—a problem I wish I didn’t have to involve anyone with, but one that needs dealing with now before the situation grows worse.
ImagePut simply, we have a murderer in our midst—one who, I fear, has only begun his work. Some of you doubtless remember the Late Unpleasantness, how this town nearly tore itself apart in fear as Chopper’s slayings went on unanswered. I’m afraid we might have something similar brewing now.
ImageLast night, the murderer struck at the sawmill. There are two victims, and they’re… they’re in pretty gruesome shape. The bodies were discovered by one of the mill workers, a man named Ibor Thorn, and by the time my men and I arrived on the scene, a crowd of curious gawkers had already sprung up. I’ve got my men stationed there now, keeping the mill locked down, but the thing that bothers me isn’t the fact that we have two dead bodies inside. It’s the fact that this is actually the second set of murders we’ve had in the last few days.
ImageI come to you for help in this matter—my men are good, but they are also green. They were barely able to handle themselves against the goblins, and what we’re facing now is an evil far worse than goblins. I need the help. But I’m afraid you’ll need the help too. You see, I’m afraid that this particular murderer knows one of you as well.[/talk]
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Re: [RotR - Module II] Part I

Post by marine7312000 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:45 pm

Durmisht asks the Sheriff [talk]What do you mean the murderer knows one of us?[/talk]

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:03 pm

[talk]You'll have to come with me. We must go to the Mill.[/talk]
Image Image

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:06 pm

[talk]By all means lead the way.[/talk] Durmisht quickly moves to follow the Sheriff.

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:42 pm

Disturbed and saddened at the news of murders, Mak follow in silence

Ealdwulf
BARON
BARON

Post by Ealdwulf » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:13 am

Realizing that unless the murderer is from the caravans she worked with before, or even from Riddleport, Vanya realizes that the one that is known would have to be one of her new companions. Even so, she will accompany them to the mill to provide any support that she can.
~~~
Ealdwulf
"The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist" ~ The Usual Suspects

SpoilerShow
Image Vanya: Half-Elf / Rogue
~ Slip Gallows Abbey - Player ~ | Kasidra: Tiefling / Paladin
Image Tessara: Half-Elf / Rogue
Image Roxana: Half-Elf / Magus

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Curious and intrigued by how something of this nature could involve any of you, you accompany the sheriff to the mill. Together you all walk along a series of streets to the west side of Sandpoint where you eventually arrive at the Mill.
[talk]I have a reason for involving you in this,[/talk] the sheriff says regarding all of you. [talk]Since The Late Unpleasantness, if word of this were to get out, it would create hysteria throughout all of Sandpoint. I cannot work at keeping this quiet and investigate the murders at the same time. I ask you to maintain a low profile and help me in this.[/talk] He sense all of Hemlock's words to be true.

Hemlock provides the following list of leads.
SANDPOINT LUMBER MILL: The most recent murders took place here—the bodies are still present, and little has been done with the crime scene itself. Sheriff Hemlock suggests that this should be the first place the PCs investigate, since he would like to clean the mill up right away and get the bodies buried.
IBOR THORN: Sheriff Hemlock has interrogated Ibor, the man who discovered the bodies at the lumber mill, and doesn’t suspect the frightened man knows much more.
VEN VINDER: This merchant is Sheriff Hemlock’s only suspect, although the sheriff is fairly certain that Ven is innocent and that the murders were committed by someone else.
THE FIRST MURDERS: Three con men from the town of Galduria were found murdered in an abandoned barn south of town a few days ago—their bodyguard survived the assault but has gone insane and was sent to Habe’s Sanatorium—a privately run respite for the insane.
THE RUNE: The star carved on one victim’s chest certainly has significance to the killer, but Hemlock’s at a loss as to what it means. Perhaps an expert on runes (such as local scholar Brodert Quink) can be consulted?

A few of you recall the rune, however, as identical to that of the amulet that was discovered and the shield produced by the ring found when combating Malfeshnekor beneath Thistletop.

[talk]The men outside will keep the crowd that has gathered from entering or causing any disruption. The men I've posted inside are only to secure the crime scene.[/talk] Hemlock then departs having no further information to provide you other than what he's already divulged.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Durmisht spends some time examining the bodies of the victims, looking for anything out of the ordinary other than those stated before. Perception: [dice]0[/dice]

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:53 pm

Mak will take his time (i.e. take twenty) to examine the crime scene. He will divulge anything he finds to his companions.
Total perception = 31

admin

JPetherick
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by JPetherick » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Carter Jenkins takes a moment to take in the scene inside and outside the mill, trying to commit it to memory. Once that is done, he will aid in the search of the room by casting Detect Magic and scanning the interior of the building. The bard will bring anything that he notices to Mak's attention.

While Mak is looking, Carter will move over and examine the rune carved into the body. He tries to recall anything about the ring that they uncovered beneath Thistletop.
Perception (Aid Another)Show
Perception (Aid Another)
[dice]0[/dice]
Knowledge ChecksShow
Arcana - [dice]1[/dice]
Dungeoneering - [dice]2[/dice]
Engineering - [dice]3[/dice]
Geography - [dice]4[/dice]
History - [dice]5[/dice]
Local - [dice]6[/dice]
Nobility - [dice]7[/dice]
Planes - [dice]8[/dice]
Religion - [dice]9[/dice]
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge

Ealdwulf
BARON
BARON

Post by Ealdwulf » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:51 pm

In an effort to also provide assistance to the search Mak is making, Vanya will take her time (take 20) searching the room and bodies to see if anything can be found and paying close attention to make sure that the murderer left no traps behind either

take 20 + Perception 10 +2 (trap sense) = 30+2

[talk]The sheriff indicated that a Ven Vinder is the primary suspect even though he doesn't believe that he did it. Why would that be? Does anyone recognize the victims?[/talk]
~~~
Ealdwulf
"The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist" ~ The Usual Suspects

SpoilerShow

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:30 pm

ImageFor everyone's perception checks (plus some checks I needed to roll for you), the following bits of information is gleaned from the murder scene, which consists of four distinct parts; Harker’s body, Katrine’s body, a suspicious axe, and a lingering stench of rotten flesh.
ImageThe mill interior is coated with sawdust strewn with footprints and splashes of blood. It quickly becomes clear a desperate struggle took place here several hours ago. Being thorough as many of you are, a detailed study of all the foot prints comes back with a puzzling analysis. One foot print bears the distinct stench of rot.
ImageFrom the pier (entering the mill at S14-T16) that leads out to the river are a set of muddy foot prints into the mill. Careful investigation reveals a barefoot human man clambered up from the mud under the pier, crossed over to the mill, and then scaled the wall to an upper-floor window.
ImageThe female body, Katrine's body, the daughter of Ven Vinder-the General Store owner, and only reason that he would be a suspect though the sheriff believes him not to be, met a swift death at the unforgiving blades of the log splitter as they tore and cut and ripped her body apart. You note the guard's demeanor and unease at remaining near her and the scene, clearly upset and repulsed at what's left of her.
ImageThe male body, Harker's body, desecrated and mutilated in a manor none of you think you'll soon forget. Each part of his dismembered body affixed to the wall on hooks normally used for suspending heavy machinery. His face has been carved away and the lower jaw is missing. His bare chest boldly displays in dried blood from the deep cuts in the flesh that form the rune. Some of you who have been together from the beginning have identified this symbol as the Sihedron, an ancient Thassilonian symbol, though no one seems to know the significance of this symbol from the past to this day.
ImageDeeper examination of Harker's body also notes unusual puncture marks, seemingly in a pattern of five. They're not deep, but enough to break the skin and close study of these punctures reveals again that smell of rot.
ImageA distinct smell of decay seems to linger in the air about the mill's interior, almost as if an animal had died somewhere in the room and its remains were allowed to ripen.
ImageA handaxe is embedded in the floor near the log splitter, as if it had been dropped there. The handle is covered with bloody finger-marks, and a close examination of the head reveals two things of note. First, smears of what look like rotten flesh and fragments of bone are caked on its blade, and second, the rotten meat stink is strong on it.
ACTIVE EFFECTS
Prior to the sheriff's departure, he bring to light the comment he made about one of you being tied to this, in a way. He hands a note to Violasha.
handout-2-1-lst.png
Your name is on the back of this. I'm deputizing all of you, and am intrusting you to aid me in this matter to the best of all your abilities. My office shall in turn aid you to the same effect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:52 pm

Durmisht looks at Vi and says [talk]Well, it looks like you have a secret admirer.[/talk] He realizes after the horrified looks he observes that his attempt at humor may have been in bad taste.

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:07 pm

[talk]This stench... smells like undead...[/talk]

Turing toward the sheriff: [talk]Understood Sheriff Hemlock. Do you think the city could mandate a cleric to speak to the dead to ask questions? I see the man is missing the lower jaws, so perhaps it could be tried on the woman...[/talk] Mak trails off.
How can I help this project?Show
If you like my work, here are various ways to help out!
HOW do I SHARE my CHARACTERS?Show
Please take a moment to post your character .tos file in the Adventurers [User Created Characters]! This allows others to use your creation in their game, and for yourself, it makes for a secure backup for your .tos files! Feel free to add any background information, images and documents to accompany your Character. To create your .tos file, simply use "Save Character" on the Control worksheet!
Thanks!!
My Play-by-Post GamesShow
Image Morck: Half-orc/Sorcerer

JPetherick
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by JPetherick » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:19 pm

[talk]Maybe we should follow the tracks of this thing. You may be right, Mak, it could be undead since many of them stink like three-day old corpses. It certainly smells bad enough that it can be tracked by scent,[/talk] suggests Carter.

The bard stares at the bodies for a moment before speaking further. [talk]I see why you think that Ven Vinder may be involved. Does anyone know why his daughter was here with Harker? Besides the usual suspicions, of course. Once we're done here we should talk to the man who found the bodies. Did you call him Ibor Thorn, Sheriff?[/talk]

[talk]We should probably talk to Ven Vinder, too. Or have you done so already, Sherriff? While we're at it, if no one here can identify whether that's undead guts on the axe, can we take it with us to someone who knows more?[/talk]

Knowledge Religion checkShow
[dice]0[/dice]

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:23 am

Vi shrugs at the note, trying to seem less disturbed by it than she is. Bluff check: [dice=totalonly]0[/dice]
At Durmisht's comment about a secret admirer, she nods, [talk]Yes, well, these things happen. Although, I've never had an admirer send me a note quite as creepy or blood-spattered as this. I fear he may have rather... different... ideas than I do about what constitutes romance.[/talk]

[ooc]I'm assuming from the context that the note came from the crime scene, right?

Does Vi have any idea who His Lordship might be? Would any knowledge checks help? Vi has arcana, local, and planes.[/ooc]

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:51 pm

patransom wrote:[ooc]I'm assuming from the context that the note came from the crime scene, right?

Does Vi have any idea who His Lordship might be? Would any knowledge checks help? Vi has arcana, local, and planes.[/ooc]
[ooc]Yes, it's from the murder scene. I would say that the DC for His Lordship is currently really high. There's a chance that this roll might get lower, but if you ever feel a roll might help in a situation, by all means take the chance. While there are some rolls that I may make for you guys, there are some, such as this, that I just won't take initiative on for you.[/ooc]
admin wrote:[talk]This stench... smells like undead...[/talk]

Turing toward the sheriff: [talk]Understood Sheriff Hemlock. Do you think the city could mandate a cleric to speak to the dead to ask questions? I see the man is missing the lower jaws, so perhaps it could be tried on the woman...[/talk] Mak trails off.
I've already spoken to Mayor Deverin and she's authorized just that. I'm expecting the arrival of Father Zantus soon.
JPetherick wrote:[talk]Maybe we should follow the tracks of this thing. You may be right, Mak, it could be undead since many of them stink like three-day old corpses. It certainly smells bad enough that it can be tracked by scent,[/talk] suggests Carter.

The bard stares at the bodies for a moment before speaking further. [talk]I see why you think that Ven Vinder may be involved. Does anyone know why his daughter was here with Harker? Besides the usual suspicions, of course. Once we're done here we should talk to the man who found the bodies. Did you call him Ibor Thorn, Sheriff?[/talk]

[talk]We should probably talk to Ven Vinder, too. Or have you done so already, Sherriff? While we're at it, if no one here can identify whether that's undead guts on the axe, can we take it with us to someone who knows more?[/talk]

Knowledge Religion checkShow
[dice]0[/dice]
You are authorized to question anyone you feel is connected to this, and the other murder I've mentioned earlier. I have spoken with Ven, and he was not aware of his daughter's sneaking out at night. Understand though that Ven is extremely distraught. Tread easily there. Ibor is the person who found this, and I have questioned him. I've given you all that I have on him, but as I said, question anyone you feel connected to this and keep me posted on your progress.
Image Image

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:54 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Would you guys like for me to include in OCC any skills that might give you a chance at learning something in addition to what I've posted at that time?

Image Image

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:34 pm

[ooc]
Duniagdra wrote:Would you guys like for me to include in OCC any skills that might give you a chance at learning something in addition to what I've posted at that time?
Sure![/ooc]

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Mak scratches his head [talk]This won't be easy...[/talk] he tells the air around him.

[ooc]Mak would like to be present when the woman is interrogated by Father Zantus with his speak with dead spell.[/ooc]

admin
How can I help this project?Show
If you like my work, here are various ways to help out!
HOW do I SHARE my CHARACTERS?Show
Please take a moment to post your character .tos file in the Adventurers [User Created Characters]! This allows others to use your creation in their game, and for yourself, it makes for a secure backup for your .tos files! Feel free to add any background information, images and documents to accompany your Character. To create your .tos file, simply use "Save Character" on the Control worksheet!
Thanks!!
My Play-by-Post GamesShow
Image Morck: Half-orc/Sorcerer

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:44 pm

[ooc]so I guess that's what people are waiting for at this time, father Zantus to arrive and attempt to commune? Well... I guess I'll post that event Saturday.[/ooc]
Image Image

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:54 pm

[ooc]
Duniagdra wrote:so I guess that's what people are waiting for at this time, father Zantus to arrive and attempt to commune? Well... I guess I'll post that event Saturday.
From my experiences, doing a crime scene investigation through PbP is quite challenging.
The lack of quick communication is a big hindrance. Consider giving us a nudge to help speed things along...[/ooc]
admin

JPetherick
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by JPetherick » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:46 pm

[ooc]I was waiting for the list of skill checks, too.

So, while we're waiting for Father Zantus to show up ...[/ooc]

Carter Jenkins is trying to wait patiently for the sherrif to bring in the specialist. "While we're waiting, is someone good at tracking? Maybe they could look at the outside of the building and try to figure out where the undead came from? For that matter, can someone cast a spell that detects undead? I wouldn't be surprised if the thing was hiding someplace down in the basement or maybe hidden away someplace else."

While that is going on, Carter takes the time to record some of the pertinent facts that they have identified so far. They will obviously have to talk to both the girl's father and the man who found the bodies.

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:00 pm

[ooc]I was going back through the out posts and noticed that Ven Vinder is the owner of the general store and that his daughter, Shayliss, tried seducing Dregs. Did Dregs tell anyone about the incident?[/ooc] Durmisht seems to be thinking extremely hard about something. He shakes his head and responds to Carter [talk]While I'm not a tracker exactly I am from a small community. I'll take a look around outside.[/talk] [ooc]Survival Check to find tracks: [dice]0[/dice][/ooc]

Ealdwulf
BARON
BARON

Post by Ealdwulf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:37 pm

[talk]While I'm not really a tracker, I have done some scouting in my past. I may as well help out and see if there is anything I can spot outside.[/talk]
OUT OF CHARACTER
Take20 to search outside for anything of importance
Total Perception = 30

~~~
Ealdwulf

SpoilerShow

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:43 pm

I'm having internet issues at home, so I'm going to have to try updating via my phone, which will be a bit tricky. I'll check tonight if the issue is resolved, but if not, I should still be able to use my phone to update text-wise. Images might be tricky.
Image Image

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:25 am

With little, if any investigation being conducted while waiting for Father Zantus other than what has been done with the Sheriff present, Zantus finally does arrive.

There's nothing I can do with the man's body. The female is also in a very bad state. I could attempt the spell on her, but understand that you will have only two questions you will be able to ask, assuming the spell actually works on her.
ACTIVE EFFECTS
Bluff, Diplomacy, Heal, Know:Geo, Know:History, Know:Local, Know:Nature, Know:Religion, Perception, Survival.
You must name the skill you are using and describe in game how you are intending it's use. I'll add this warning to be careful in how you use Bluff when investigating crime scenes, but it can be useful if used well when questioning others. If you choose to go with Bluff, be confident that you can roll well with it since failure can have adverse affects with the investigation and cause delays in progressing. All skills listed above have some means of assisting your investigation at THIS crime scene.
Image Image

JPetherick
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by JPetherick » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Carter continues with his note-taking while waiting for Father Zantus. Perhaps the good father can shed more light upon what they have observed. Still, Carter asks himself THINKING: What do we know about this rune?. He reproduces the shape as closely as he can, noting where they saw it before. As he does this, the bard reflects on what ancient rumours he has picked up over the years.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Use Lore Master to Take 20 with Knowledge: History, getting a result of 28 to consider the Rune

Once Father Zantus arrives, Carter greets him [talk]Thank you for coming, Father. It's horrible business but we're hoping that you can help us and Sheriff Hemlock discover who did this. I'd suggest asking her who, or what, killed them. And asking her to repeat anything that she heard the murderer say.

When you're done, Father, we would also like you to look at some marks and smells we found on the floor, bodies and a handaxe. We think it smells like undead and we are hoping that you could tell us more about them, maybe even identify what kind of undead did this killing.[/talk]

If given a chance to ask questions of the murdered girl, Carter Jenkins will try his utmost to be diplomatic.
OUT OF CHARACTER
[dice]0[/dice]

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:13 pm

Don't expect specific answers if the spell succeeds. While you discuss what questions you wish to ask I can have a look at what you described. Father Zantus lets Carter direct him to those points of interest and he studies them closely. His face cringes when in contact with the foulness of the odor. [talk]This is definitely undead. From the smell, I would say goul, but here?[/talk]
Image Image

marine7312000
DUKE
DUKE

Post by marine7312000 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Appearing to be slightly upset at the discussion with Father Zantus regarding speaking with the dead, Durmisht remains outside during the spell casting. He focuses on finding tracks outside [ooc]Perception to find tracks: [dice]0[/dice][/ooc] and attempts to follow any that he finds for a short distance. [ooc]Survival to follow any tracks he finds [dice]1[/dice][/ooc]

Return to “{PbP} Rise of the RuneLords {Pathfinder}”