[POLL] Game Status

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

What do you want to do about this game?

A) Let's finish this off and not speak of it again.
No votes
B) Let's go on with the long-term d20 modern game as planned.
25%
C) Let's have another crazy game reset and play D&D again.
75%

Total votes: 4

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

[POLL] Game Status

Post by patransom »

With only three players, I'm finding my enthusiasm for this game flagging a bit. Given the lack of activity recently, I suspect the rest of you might be losing interest, too. There's a bit of work involved in converting this D&D adventure path to d20 Modern and that's an effort I don't want to go to if you guys are on the borderline of dropping out.

So, there are four options in this poll that I want to explain a bit more here:

A) Bring the current adventure to a nice, tidy close and retire this game. This means skipping a section of the published adventure that really exists only to lead into the next episodes of the adventure path. Under this option, there would be two more combats and maybe a month or two more of play before we finish (depending on how long it takes you to figure out the thing with the lanterns).

B) Continue on as originally planned, introducing all the necessary subplots to play through the Age of Worms as a d20 modern campaign. This means you are committing to keep active in this game for the foreseeable future, and I should make some effort to find an additional player or two.

C) Retcon/reset the game to convert over to a D&D 3.5 setting and rules. This would mean some work from you, to regenerate your characters as D&D 3.5 PCs, but very little work for me going forward, since I don't have to worry about the D&D to modern conversion going forward. There is some precedent for this, since the "Brave New Perearth" game was originally about a bunch D&D characters that got dragged into a Gamma World setting, then there was a deus ex machina that changed the whole thing into a d20 Modern game. It would be easy enough to throw another deus ex machina in. I also think we will have more luck recruiting new/replacement players for a 3.5 game than for a modern game.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: [POLL] Game Status

Post by Duniagdra »

I'm okay with a reset and revert to 3.5 if it will bring more players in. Are you saying though that we would be converting the modern classes to the 3.5 system, or just finding the 3.5 equivalents?
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Duniagdra wrote:I'm okay with a reset and revert to 3.5 if it will bring more players in. Are you saying though that we would be converting the modern classes to the 3.5 system, or just finding the 3.5 equivalents?
Just finding a 3.5 equivalent that makes you happy with your concept of the character...
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

patransom wrote:
Duniagdra wrote:I'm okay with a reset and revert to 3.5 if it will bring more players in. Are you saying though that we would be converting the modern classes to the 3.5 system, or just finding the 3.5 equivalents?
Just finding a 3.5 equivalent that makes you happy with your concept of the character...
Well, what would make me happy is paragon. :D
I'll start having a look at what compares in the event that the others vote the same.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

I think I'd like to finish out our scenario and bow out either way. Not sure I want to go back to 3.5.

But also, I think you should run Age of Worms, and open it up for people to play, get some fresh blood. Especially since converting that to Modern is pretty cumbersome.

So i guess my vote is kinda for #3.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Yes, my vote would include Age of Worms.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Seems I'm the lone holdout for continuing the d20 Modern campaign, but I'm willing to go along with the majority.

Exactly what is the Age of Worms setting? Sounds a bit... squirmy.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

CGM3 wrote:Seems I'm the lone holdout for continuing the d20 Modern campaign, but I'm willing to go along with the majority.

Exactly what is the Age of Worms setting? Sounds a bit... squirmy.
It's a lot of fishing i think? LOL
I vaguely recall little bits of it and not enough to really guess, but I remember being told it was good.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

To clarify, the Age of Worms is a Paizo "adventure path" (a.k.a., long series of adventures with a connecting plot), not a setting. It is written to fit in the world of Greyhawk, but is largely setting neutral. In actual fact, the adventure we are playing in d20 Modern right now is the first adventure in the Age of Worms. It was my original plan to run the whole Age of Worms using the modern setting and rules, but, well, you see my current thinking on that...

If we reset to D&D3.5 (which seems to be winning right now), we won't repeat the first part of this first adventure. Instead, the characters will get time and space warped (again) to a D&D world (the Wilderlands, because I'm running Age of Worms in that setting in real life right now, so it's easy) and recast into D&D classes. I will try to recruit one or two new players to round out the party, and the Age of Worms plot will continue from there.

So, are all three of you game for doing the latter? It sounded like tdsprouse just wanted to quit, period, but thought, philosophically, that Age of Worms was a good idea?
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

I am on the fence honestly, but i think i would like to see were it goes. I'm not too keen on 3.5 (been running/playing pathfinder for a while), but i'll give it another go. Probably roll up something simple. Barbarian maybe? never played one of those.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Well, I wasn't aware we were in the AoW AP to begin with. :)
I must not have read the recruiting post properly or just forgot, which is not unusual for me.
I'm okay with the time/space warp. What source books are permited?
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

I'm willing to give it a shot. Probably run a fighter or monk.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

tdsprouse wrote:I am on the fence honestly, but i think i would like to see were it goes. I'm not too keen on 3.5 (been running/playing pathfinder for a while), but i'll give it another go. Probably roll up something simple. Barbarian maybe? never played one of those.
Hmmm, Pathfinder is a possibility. Converting the adventures from 3.5 to Pathfinder is trivial compared to converting them to Modern, especially since I don't have to worry about converting the plot so it "makes sense" in the modern world. What do the rest of you think about Pathfinder?

My current thinking is that you would keep the same characters, not create completely new ones. Your modern characters would be transplanted in the new setting, memories intact, with a (somewhat) clear explanation as to why they are there and what they are supposed to do, although their talents and skills will be transformed in the process to suit their new environment. The reset process would work something like this:

1. Keep your ability scores.
2. Keep your equipment! For the most part, I think the only significant equipment you have that would really function in the new setting is the guns. These will remain operational until you run out of bullets. After that, they will be useless hunks of metal. You will remain proficient with them.
3. Replace your d20 modern class (or classes) with a new D&D (or PF) class(es). Your new class does not need to have any relation to your old d20 modern class (i.e., strong heroes are not restricted to fighter or anything like that).
4. Replace all your skills and feats per D&D (or PF) rules.

What do you think about that approach? I'll come up with more details if you agree to it.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Either someone spiked my drink, or my brain went haywire, as I just spent the last few seconds wondering why I couldn't reply. If I was clicking the reply button instead of the show signature button, that tends to help. :lol:

Pathfinder, all out. Will you permit all Pathfinder classes/races and traits?
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Pathfinder sounds like fun. And I'd probably convert Eric to a monk.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

I've been thinking about how to convert some of the Wilderlands Setting "house rules" to Pathfinder. If you have time, take a look at the possible Subrace Traits I came up with and give me your opinion of them...

Return to “Perearth: Archives”