Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Re: Character Creation

Post by Sunbolt »

patransom wrote:Here are the basics:

Classes: Any of the standard classes, plus those from the Complete series. No psionics (sorry). Other classes might be OK, too, upon approval.
Just a thought. You might consider allowing psionic races - like the Xeph in - and using psionic feats - but no psionic classes or powers. Skills affects like using concentration to become psionically focused combined with feats like speed of thought and up the walls can come in handy for a rogue - start to familiarize you with the psionic system - AND make for an interesting character twist in your game.

If you really want to get interesting you could allow the soulknife as a class. It's powers derive from psionics - but there's no manifesting and all of the powers are combat related and self-contained rather than manifestation based.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

It's an idea, but I don't have any of the psionic sources and I'd never even heard of a Xeph until I started playing in your game :)

If someone really, really, really wants to play a soulknife, they might be able to convince me. Actually, it's more likely I'd ask them to play a different, but kind of similar class from the new rules I'm going to spring ...
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

patransom wrote:It's an idea, but I don't have any of the psionic sources and I'd never even heard of a Xeph until I started playing in your game :)

If someone really, really, really wants to play a soulknife, they might be able to convince me. Actually, it's more likely I'd ask them to play a different, but kind of similar class from the new rules I'm going to spring ...
It's not so much the xeph - it's the getting you hooked on psionics - once you are - you'll never go back (at least not back to an exluding psionics campaign). And allowing the psionic feats only (by allowing psionic characters like the Xeph) is a good first step.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

patransom wrote:It's an idea, but I don't have any of the psionic sources and I'd never even heard of a Xeph until I started playing in your game :)
This may help: the Wizards of the Coast website's Rules of the Game "column" has started a review of psionics this week, outlining the concepts and applications.

I've toyed with the idea of a campaign with psionics instead of magic...
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

CGM3 wrote:
This may help: the Wizards of the Coast website's Rules of the Game "column" has started a review of psionics this week, outlining the concepts and applications.

I've toyed with the idea of a campaign with psionics instead of magic...
Well stop toying and run it on the board! we'll help you get it where you want it for your live game....
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Sunbolt wrote:
CGM3 wrote:I've toyed with the idea of a campaign with psionics instead of magic...
Well stop toying and run it on the board! we'll help you get it where you want it for your live game....
Yeah, running a game on these boards isn't really that much of a time commitment. And there's the intoxicating power of being a DM! MWHAHAHAHAHA!

BTW: Moved this discussion to a separate thread, just to keep the character creation thread easier to read.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Yes, join the "Cult of Board DM's"

or is that Bored DM's, can't ever get that right.

After starting mine up, I realized that it gives a whole lot more time for development. The play pace may be slower but everything that has happened is readily available to you as well. No need for someone to write every little incident down.

If you decide on doing it, Sunny is biting at the bit to play psionic, and I have an interest as well. See http://theonlysheet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1818

Plus replacing magic with psionics is an interesting twist to the norm of the game. (or at least to me it is)
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

klakxor wrote:After starting mine up, I realized that it gives a whole lot more time for development. The play pace may be slower but everything that has happened is readily available to you as well. No need for someone to write every little incident down.
Yep, this is absolutely true. I realize now that it doesn't really require as much advanced planning as a regular game, since you have plenty of time while waiting for players to post to decide what might happen next.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Well, first, I'll have to brush up on psionics myself :oops: , and flesh out the campaign setting (it is not the common fantasy world :twisted: ). I'll putter with it and see if I can get it to gel. :wink:
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

CGM3 wrote:Well, first, I'll have to brush up on psionics myself :oops: , and flesh out the campaign setting (it is not the common fantasy world :twisted: ). I'll putter with it and see if I can get it to gel. :wink:
Well - do hollar if you need any help. We're all highly motivated. :P

Return to “Perearth: Archives”