The Boar and Pig (Gathering Supplies)

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"I do have to agree with Leenah, abd it would be more portable and less prone to breakage than a potion vial. I don't know how much it would cost though..." as he readies the last of his gears.
Last edited by valinor on Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless sniffs the air, "Is that wine you're drinking?" and looks at the table, where Leenah is seated.
jameswllorimer
Horseman
Horseman

Post by jameswllorimer »

The busy activity of the morning almost threatened to sweep away anyone not aware of what was going on. Jermain had readied his own gear, taking note of the extra purchases that Elias had acquired for him, notably the extra quarrels, the shared tent, parchment, paper and the extra ink, and the horse. Jermain had already had a chance to look at this animal and both man and beast had eyed each other warily. He now joined the rest of the group to continue preparations. Good morrow good fellows. Elias, thank you for procuring the extra items for myself, the horse is..er.. a hardy beast. He nodded his thanks towards the scout. Somebody inquired as to whether us mages could produce any form of light. I only have the modest power to produce a small area of light on touch, but this only lasts for about an hour. I do own a few sunrods, and I can craft these also, but that would take time that we do not have on our journey.
jameswllorimer
Horseman
Horseman

Post by jameswllorimer »

CGM3 wrote:
"Anybody else here have some craft in th' physicker's art?" he asks the party at large.
Jermain turns to answer this question. I do not have the skills you say, but I have a few potions that have a modest strength in healing any injuries.
jameswllorimer
Horseman
Horseman

Post by jameswllorimer »

shai-hulud wrote:"I definitely think that I can obtain a wand or two. The question is, do we want both to be used for healing, or one to be healing and the other for another purpose? Jermain, do you have any suggestions if perhaps the second wand were arcane, rather than divine? Perhaps a wand of the arcane spell that you call Alarm? I doubt that I could obtain a wand with more power than that, though.

"Does anyone else have any ideas? Leenah, you originally mentioned the idea of procuring wands. Do you fancy any in particular?"
"A wand with charges of Alarm, would certainly help guard our encampment as we slept. I would prefer that we had the ability to heal all of our number should the need arise, as well as perhaps the boy when we retrieve him. We do not know what condition he is in. I will defer to what the group decides."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

"I agree. Two wands of healing then?"
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

"Potions have th' benefit that any o' us can give one t' any other," Esias observes pensively, "while wands can only be used by one who can cast the spells they contain. On t'other hand, wands can be used more often than a potion, provided th' operator be able t', well, operate it. A few wands o' healin' magic, and mayhap a few potions o' th' same just in case, strikes me as wise.

"Jermain, might be best t' have Brand or Aeless show you how to mount 'n' sit 'n' guide a horse, afore we set out. And m' name," he adds with a quirk of his lips, "be Esias, not Elias. A small thing, I grant you, but m' own."
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

"That seems like a good idea. I will get as many healing potions as I can find. Is the list complete?"

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias makes an addition to the list, then does some figuring. "This be what I make th' now," he says, displaying his results:

4 bedrolls (4 sp)
8 cold weather blankets (24 sp)
7 sets of cold weather clothing (56 gp)
5 riding horses (negotiable) w/ tack (bit, bridle, blanket, riding saddle, saddle bags : 82.5 gp)
1 pack horse (negotiable) w/ tack (bit, lead, blanket, pack saddle : 11.5 gp)
2 riding ponies w/ tack (as riding horses : 33 gp)
6 quivers of arrows (6 gp)
6 cases/quarrels (6 gp)
darts (5 sp@)
2 daggers (2 gp)
1 hand axe (6 gp)
1 spade (2 gp)
5 tents (50 gp)
300 days of trail rations (150 gp)
22 waterskins (22 gp)
200 ft of rope (4 gp)
2 climber's kits (160 gp)
writing implements & parchment (ink 8 gp@, inkpen 1 sp@, paper 4 sp/packet)
liniment (lots) (negotiable)
2 healer's kits (100 gp)
disguise kits (50 gp@)
2 curative wands (light wounds, 1500 gp)
curative potions (light wounds, 50 gp@)

"I reckon it t' be 693 gp 'n' 8 sp wi'out th' wands, which add another fifteen hundred gold. Plus whatever the cost for the animals be, 'n' how many o' some o' th' other items are added in."
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

valinor wrote:Aeless sniffs the air, "Is that wine you're drinking?" and looks at the table, where Leenah is seated.
Laughs softly, "Yes it is." She lifts the bottle towards Aeless, "Would you like some?"
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Had to ask an elven blood, eh?" as he raise an eyebrow, and pulls a glass out of his pack "Then a glass would be fine before we leave." and leans to Leenah's ear.
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Grins her eyes dancing with mischief, it would seem the Viridian has relaxed since her interview with Oldin. Fills Aeless' glass tipping her head at the whisper. "It is always better to ask, then assume."
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Thank you." as he sips at his glass.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Oh... Oldin and Esias, I rather suggest to have 1 wand than 2 of healing. I didn't notice the amount of food we have there, I think that is quite too much. I am sure we can hunt and forage for some games out there once in a blue moon. Due to that now, you have too much to carry there unless you have a cart, and I didn't suggest a cart for the travel since it slows a fast moving trailblazers like all of us." and points winks at the both of you and goes about chatting with Leenah for a little more while, after the morning wine he readies to help checking more of the load equipments and gears.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

"The food comes t' twenty-six pounds for each o' us, wi' another thirteen for th' boy," Esias explains patiently. "Stoppin' t' hunt will waste time 'n' make th' trip longer, and we don't know why they took th' lad, so best we get there as soon as we can. I'll be carryin' my share, Master Aeless, and goin' afoot," he states calmly. "You'll have your own mount, 'n' the pack beast as well."
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Esias' says: "The food comes t' twenty-six pounds for each o' us, wi' another thirteen for th' boy," Esias explains patiently. "Stoppin' t' hunt will waste time 'n' make th' trip longer, and we don't know why they took th' lad, so best we get there as soon as we can. I'll be carryin' my share, Master Aeless, and goin' afoot," he states calmly. "You'll have your own mount, 'n' the pack beast as well."
Aeless chuckles, "Hunting is part of the travel and it doesn't take but 2 hours of our time." after a brief moment, he states "Am just wondering how are we gonna pack all of the food, since travel time is important for us." and sighs in the end.

"What I'm talking about is the allocation of weight. You're a scout, would it be wise to travel heavy loaded when you need to skirmish?" as he await for a reply.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

valinor wrote:
Esias' says: "The food comes t' twenty-six pounds for each o' us, wi' another thirteen for th' boy," Esias explains patiently. "Stoppin' t' hunt will waste time 'n' make th' trip longer, and we don't know why they took th' lad, so best we get there as soon as we can. I'll be carryin' my share, Master Aeless, and goin' afoot," he states calmly. "You'll have your own mount, 'n' the pack beast as well."
Aeless chuckles, "Hunting is part of the travel and it doesn't take but 2 hours of our time." after a brief moment, he states "Am just wondering how are we gonna pack all of the food, since travel time is important for us." and sighs in the end.

"What I'm talking about is the allocation of weight. You're a scout, would it be wise to travel heavy loaded when you need to skirmish?" as he await for a reply.
"We will probably be spending those two hours travelling. We need to get there as quickly as possible. I agree with Esias. We should be traveling as fast as possible."

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

"By my reckonin', the food 'n' gear we've put together, divided 'mongst us, shouldn't slow us down, 'less somebody wants t' lug a statue or somethin' along," Esias states firmly. "We may have t' hunt on th' way back if we take longer'n expected t' get t' the boy -- th' Wanderer knows, the smoothest lookin' trail can have its pitfalls -- but two hours trackin' 'n' killin' 'n' skinnin' game is two hours we can otherwise use travelin', and it be my understandin' that we shouldn't dally."

OOC: the DM agrees, the load can be distributed amongst the party without impeding our pace.
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

"Never having done traveling quite like this. So I bow to your judgement Esias," she chuckles. "I've traveled fast but never in a group this large."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

valinor wrote:"Oh... Oldin and Esias, I rather suggest to have 1 wand than 2 of healing. I didn't notice the amount of food we have there, I think that is quite too much. I am sure we can hunt and forage for some games out there once in a blue moon. Due to that now, you have too much to carry there unless you have a cart, and I didn't suggest a cart for the travel since it slows a fast moving trailblazers like all of us." and points winks at the both of you and goes about chatting with Leenah for a little more while, after the morning wine he readies to help checking more of the load equipments and gears.
"Aeless, why one wand rather than two? Wands are of inconsequential weight, and we can definitely use any additional curative powers that I might be able to obtain. Do you have any ability in using wands? If so, suggest another, and I will look into procuring it."

valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Alright, tally up the weight so we can distribute them all. I can possibly carry an additional 10 - 12 lbs...." as he crosses both arms on his chest.

"My suggestion is if our funds is not enough, due to the cost of these wands." as he smiles.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

"Our only concern is how much we can obtain on short notice. We have enough funds, but little time. As far as weight, please excuse an old man with no adventuring experience, but I would think the horses would be carrying most of it. I don't know much about horses, but their four legs look quite a bit sturdier under weight than any of our two legs. I would not think that you would personally be carrying much of the weight at all, Aeless. Am I mistaken?" Oldin looks to the others, finally stopping his questioning gaze at Esias. "Should we begin loading up the horses?"

OOC: Any last minute thoughts before validation tomorrow? Should we bring anything that was previously not mentioned? Alchemical substances? Should I look for an everburning torch or 11? My character is smart, but would have no reason to suggest anything else. In his life, everything has always been provided for him. What about something like manacles? Should we be attacked, taking prisoners would probably be more my character's preference over killing. Usually, anyway...
Last edited by shai-hulud on Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

I thought we were leaving on the morrow? Should we not rather get a good dinner and to bed early so that we can get an early start. Tis no good to load the horses now, if we don't leave until morning.
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Gets up to look back over the list one last time, shaking her head as she laughs, "Mmm light perhaps? Torches, sunrods, something? I have a lantern and a few flasks of oil but that is not going to last long."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin ponders for a moment, then looks back to Leenah, "Yes, Aeless mentioned that, as well. I am afraid that I don't understand. During the day, we will have the sun, and at night, wouldn't light only draw attention to us? I am afraid that much of travel is new to me. I will look for light as you say. Perhaps I can obtain everburning torches. They are more difficult to find, but would cut down on the space we would need."

Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

"Oldin, I have an Everburning Torch, but that is only one. I think Jermain, said that he has a few sunrods. A couple of extra torches might come in handy, if we have to travel at night. "

OOC: I have a set of Manacles, if we need them.
Image R.I.P. Brand
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

"So the Everburning Torches are a good idea? Hmm, well I have a lot of other ideas." Oldin begins pacing and spouting out ideas. "What happens if we need light quickly? Do they make torch sheaths, so that light will be only a flick of the wrist away? Ooh, what about a way to hide our light, like things that create smoke? No, that would only cause everything to be smoky, and wouldn't do much to hide our location. What about firewood? Do we need to bring any along with us? You mentioned that it will get very cold, and I like the warmth of fire when it gets cold. Of course, fire has light and smoke, so that isn't a very good idea. Why are we even traveling by horse? Why not just have the master priest cast a spell to allow us to walk the wind? It would only take 7... maybe 10 castings... I know, I can prepare a spell to allow the horses to move faster. No, that would sap all my power each day... Is there some way of generating heat without fire? What about chemical heat? Yes, I can research... No, research takes too long..."

Oldin continues coming up with more ideas that I haven't come up with. Most of them are inane with the occasional cherry buried in there. Even most of the cherries, however, would add too much weight or would not serve a purpose given the limited amount of time we have.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

"Travelin' by day 'n' campin' by night means we'll only be needin' t' make our own light if somethin' should come upon us while we rest," Esias allows judiciously. "A campfire or two, wi' dry wood for little smoke 'n' shielded so as not t' be visible too far away, and some ready torches or lanterns or magical lights should handle that; addin' a few more sunrods t' Master Jermain's might not be amiss. Some manner o' sheath or holster for any everburnin' torches -- I've seen 'em as glass orbs -- or sunrods would be handy, aye, but sometimes all it takes is some fuel on a fire t' bring enough light.

"If there be no mystical means t' transport the lot o' us, or at th' least a goodly number, quickly to our goal at hand, 'tis better for us t' go ahead as planned. Mayhap your master priest could provide some talisman or magical device, before we leave, that could send the lad back here once we retrieve him," he suggests diffidently.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Well, I guess I'm just used to travelling with the Gladekeepers of Elsenwood, and we do travel very light, so excuse my thoughts of light travelling. Rarely we use devices such as sunrods, torches, everburning torches or the likes... elves or elven blooded as long as there is the star at night we can see in the dark." explains Aeless.
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Icefire wrote:"Never having done traveling quite like this. So I bow to your judgement Esias," she chuckles. "I've traveled fast but never in a group this large."
Rúadhnait cocks an eyebrow at this and smirks slightly. "I haven't either, but I expect they will hear us coming at least a mile away." She smiles slightly and her eyes narrow dangerously. "I almost feel sorry for them."
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36

Return to “Perearth: Archives”