River Crossing

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

User avatar
CGM3
Divine Rank 9
Divine Rank 9
Posts: 3153
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:20 am
Location: Atlanta, GA (USA)

Post by CGM3 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:54 pm

Esias quirks an eyebrow quizzically at Oldin's addendum, but after handing the reins of Elezar's mount to Elezar obediently strides to the pack horse, slings his bow, and fumbles at the saddlebags for an empty waterskin.

(OOC: if it matters, Listen +11, Search +10, Spot +11)
Last edited by CGM3 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:29 pm

At Oldin's remark recheck the area for ambushes (SPOT/LISTEN +6; SEARCH +9), and goes back to his horse and grabs a waterskin, starts on his return to his spot earlier.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:41 pm

As Aeless begins to turn back to the riverbank, Oldin says, "Aeless, please check the pack for another waterskin or two. Riverkeeper, from the sounds of your Lady, her power must be truly enchanting, wouldn't you say, Jermain?"
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:45 pm

He nods and grabs an additional 2 from the mule, while keeping aware of the surrounding.

User avatar
jameswllorimer
Horseman
Horseman
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:46 pm
Location: York, England

Post by jameswllorimer » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:24 pm

Jermina nods knowingly at Oldin's veiled statement. He too had been wondering if this stout dwarf was under some external influence. After a moment's thought he starts muttering a quiet incantation. Casts Detect Magic to try to see if the dwarf is enchanted.

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:53 am

Returns to her horse grabbing a waterskin and slipping an extra dagger or two into her belt as she stands hidden by the bulk of her horse. She keeps an eye and ear around her, taking a while to get the waterskin so she can look on her edge of the group.

Moves to B26

Spot:+1
Search:+10
Listen:+5
Sleight of Hand:+9
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

User avatar
CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:43 pm
Location: Lexington, KY, USA
Contact:

Post by CarnageCJB » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:15 am

"Apologies, Riverkeeper, I meant no offence. I did not intend to sulley the waters of your lady's river with the contents of my jugs. Rather, I meant it as a friendly gesture, a peace offering. It was intended for your lips, as I have met many dwarves (OOC: Going on the assumption that "dwarves" is a non-insulting term here :wink: ) that preferred to discuss things of any degree of seriousness or weight over a beverage such as I had offered. Please accept my most humble and sincere plea for forgiveness." Jiam bows deeply, returns to his mount and retrieves a waterskin from his saddlebags, very subtly removing a handful of shuriken from his belt (once hidden from view), just in case.
Everybody loves ninjas!

whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:45 pm
Location: Ocean Springs, MS

Post by whtknt » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:43 am

Rúadhnait mutters something in her native tongue, but does as she is bidden.
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:00 am

Oldin takes a moment to get his thoughts in order and finally decides to just come out with it.

"Riverkeeper, you are truly wise to have discovered the Lady's beauty and power. We, too, would like to learn more about her, but alas, we are pressed for time. The life of a 10-year old boy hinges on our ability to reach him before he is killed. We don't have enough time to purify ourselves. If there is another crossing, please let us know where it is. If there is no other crossing, please let us know some other way we can purify ourselves. Our wizard has arcane magics that can clean us and our mounts. Perhaps we can offer a service to your Lady for her aid in our time of need. Please let us know what we can do to appease her."
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Post by Galaphile » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:20 pm

Brand returns to his horse, he roots around in his saddle bag for a water skin.
Image R.I.P. Brand

User avatar
CGM3
Divine Rank 9
Divine Rank 9
Posts: 3153
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:20 am
Location: Atlanta, GA (USA)

Post by CGM3 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:54 am

Esias stands very still at Oldin's words, watching the dwarf carefully but making no move to unsling his bow or draw a weapon.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:31 am

OOC: Is validation happening today (Monday) or normal time tomorrow (Tuesday)?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:52 am

Just got back from vacation... have a number of work-related issues to deal with now, so validation will take place at the regular time on Tuesday. Sorry for the delay.
Image

User avatar
jameswllorimer
Horseman
Horseman
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:46 pm
Location: York, England

Post by jameswllorimer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:48 am

OOC: Sorry I'm just doing this now, but I didn't fully understand a message Pat pm'ed so I wanted to have some light on it before I continued.

IC:
Jermain concentrates further as his spell magic begins to take effect, and several auras of an eldritch nature become apparent. Being rather surprised at the result, he leans across to Oldin to convey the information. "Good fellow, not to alarm you but I am seeing several auras, perhaps twelve in total hidden under the water around the level of stout dwarf's rotund waist. The only areas other than these are his chainmail shirt and the wand he is holding. Perhaps we might benefit from a more aggressive stance in case of something more untoward?"

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:08 am

Oldin shrugs and whispers back, "I know about the auras, which is why I asked Riverkeeper about his friends beneath the water's surface. I have proposed an alternative to Riverkeeper, instead of our meditation. Now, let us see what his response will be. Should he become aggressive, we have moved back from the river's bank and have a little time to prepare for his advancement, as well as that of his submerged friends. Will we soon see how negotiations will pay off."

OOC: Oldin has detect magic running, as well. He has seen the same things as Jermain.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:23 pm

Most of you follow Oldin’s instructions and head back to your horses to collect waterskins and are currently holding waterskins in at least one hand (with the possible exceptions of Jermain and Elezar). Those of you making spot and listen checks observe nothing unusual (other than a dwarf standing up to his armpits in water). The dwarf answers those who have spoken to him.
Oldin: "Are your companions beneath the river's surface going to be aiding us in contemplation?"
The Riverkeeper looks a bit confused, “Do you mean the fish? They are gifts from the Lady for her humble servant. I shall share, if you remain to contemplate.”
Jiam: "Apologies, Riverkeeper, I meant no offence. I did not intend to sulley the waters of your lady's river with the contents of my jugs. Rather, I meant it as a friendly gesture, a peace offering. It was intended for your lips, as I have met many dwarves that preferred to discuss things of any degree of seriousness or weight over a beverage such as I had offered. Please accept my most humble and sincere plea for forgiveness."
The dwarf does not respond directly, but looks relieved as Jiam walks away from the water’s edge with his jugs.
Oldin: "Riverkeeper, you are truly wise to have discovered the Lady's beauty and power. We, too, would like to learn more about her, but alas, we are pressed for time. The life of a 10-year old boy hinges on our ability to reach him before he is killed. We don't have enough time to purify ourselves. If there is another crossing, please let us know where it is. If there is no other crossing, please let us know some other way we can purify ourselves. Our wizard has arcane magics that can clean us and our mounts. Perhaps we can offer a service to your Lady for her aid in our time of need. Please let us know what we can do to appease her."
The Riverkeeper now looks conflicted, “The life of a boy requires you to pollute the waters? What to do? What to do?” He stares at the water surface, splashing his hand in it as he thinks. He seems to be talking partially to Oldin, partially to himself. “You cannot become clean without meditation … Foul wizard-magics do not make a thing clean … The river is life, more important than one life … The Lady has her devoted Riverkeeper, she has no need of unclean servants … no boy crossed her river, so he is not near here … there must be time for the unclean ones to travel.”

He looks up at the group as if he has made a decision, “If you cannot contemplate, you cannot cross. You have horses, you can ride to the headwaters of her river and go around. Horses are fast; you should have time for the trip, if you go now. It is only 30 or 40 miles. A small price to maintain the purity of her river, yes?”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:35 pm

Oldin turns to face Esias. "What do you think? Do we have time to travel all the way around this river? I understand this dwarf's desire to preserve a place that he holds sacred. I would not want anyone defiling a place sacred to Seker. At the same time, I cannot allow harm to come to Amon, and I am therefore torn. If we do not have enough time to travel around, then perhaps the Riverkeeper will have an alternate solution. If not, then I will accept that we must invoke his Lady's wrath and hope that we can atone for our sins later."

Oldin addresses everyone. "Please, if anyone has a suggestion, pose it now."
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:44 pm

Oldin turns to Riverkeeper and adds quickly, "Are you familiar with our enemies, the Natchai? They are the ones who will kill the boy if we are not successful. If you think that a wizard's magics are foul, imagine the polution the Natchai magic would generate. Saving the boy is in your Lady's best interests."
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
CGM3
Divine Rank 9
Divine Rank 9
Posts: 3153
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:20 am
Location: Atlanta, GA (USA)

Post by CGM3 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:14 pm

Esias regards the dwarf with a guarded expression, his voice flat and low as he responds to Oldin: "It will take us an extra day or more to reach these headwaters, although from there we could strike straight for our goal and lose no more time. If you think such a delay will not greatly imperil young Amon, I'd say we should start moving upstream at once, otherwise... well, that is your choice, good sage, but I will stand by your decision."
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:15 pm

Bonus validation, since Oldin just said the magic word and did it quickly!
shai-hulud wrote:Oldin turns to Riverkeeper and adds quickly, "Are you familiar with our enemies, the Natchai? They are the ones who will kill the boy if we are not successful. If you think that a wizard's magics are foul, imagine the polution the Natchai magic would generate. Saving the boy is in your Lady's best interests."
The Riverkeeper answers immediately, "Natchai! Dirt-worshipping corrupters!" He utters a number of other curses in dwarvish (which those of you who speak the language would be reluctant to translate in polite company). "Why did you not say so at once! Mount your horses and I will escort you across the ford! Follow me!"

With that, the Riverkeeper raises his arms in the air and rises out of the water, so that his feet touch only the surface. He turns and gestures to you to follow him. Without looking back, he begins walking slowly across the surface of the ford, chanting in some unknown tongue.
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:21 pm

Oldin carefully climbs up and follows the dwarf, whispering a quiet blessing to Seker on behalf of Riverkeeper and his Lady in thanks for their aid.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
CGM3
Divine Rank 9
Divine Rank 9
Posts: 3153
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:20 am
Location: Atlanta, GA (USA)

Post by CGM3 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:39 pm

Hastily stowing the waterskin back in the packhorse's, er, pack, Esias unslings his bow and follows Oldin into the river, holding his weapon high and scanning the surface and the far bank for danger as he wades through the water.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:35 pm

With but a moment glint in the eyes of his companions, places the waterskin back and mounts up his steed. "Lead on, Riverkeeper. We don't need these foul worshippers even get a foothold of strength around these areas." as he grabs the reins of the pack horse and asks his horse to follow the dwarf and Oldin.

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:47 pm

Vulan smiles, and mounts, following the rest across.
Image

User avatar
CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:43 pm
Location: Lexington, KY, USA
Contact:

Post by CarnageCJB » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:26 am

Jiam hops on his mount and makes to follow the rest.
Everybody loves ninjas!

User avatar
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Post by Galaphile » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:23 am

Brand quickly mounts his horse and leads the way across the river, following the Dwarf. Looking back at Oldin, as they ride. "Well done..."
Image R.I.P. Brand

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:45 am

Mounts her horse after stowing the waterskin. Keeps a dagger at hand as she follows the others across. Keeping an eye and ear around her.

OOC Given that I'm on vacation and forgot my character sheet, I don't have her stats at hand.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:36 am

OOC: This post assumes that everything goes well. I don't want to ask this question unless everyone crosses safely. Riverkeeper seems to be concentrating on his spell, and I don't want to ruin it.

IC:
Once everyone safely crosses the river, Oldin turns to Riverkeeper and asks, "Riverkeeper, we have discovered the name of our Natchai enemy. Have you ever heard the name Phatel Rablim? And do you know anything about the area he is in? Esias, please show Riverkeeper the map. Any information he might have for us may be helpful in defeating our foe. Also, after we defeat our Natchai enemy, is there any service that we can perform for your Lady in thanks for your aid?"
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
CGM3
Divine Rank 9
Divine Rank 9
Posts: 3153
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:20 am
Location: Atlanta, GA (USA)

Post by CGM3 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:13 am

Esias will show the map to the dwarf.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer

whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:45 pm
Location: Ocean Springs, MS

Post by whtknt » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:40 pm

Shaking her head and muttering under her breath, Rúadhnait enters the water and crosses with the rest of the party.
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36

Post Reply

Return to “Perearth: Archives”