In the hills

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin frowns, "And if Amon is being kept below the obelisk, and while we are attempting a frontal assault, he is tortured or slain, what then? We are not here to defeat the Natchai, as much as that would bring me great satisfaction. We are here to rescue Amon. To do that, we must attempt stealth. If we are already discovered, then we will charge into battle as you and Rúadhnait suggest, but that is a last resort. It is far too dangerous to Amon's health."
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by TheGreenLabrador »

"Very well, Oldin. You have my suggestion, and I will abide by yours, but either way, we had better put something in action soon." Vulan slightly withdraws into himself, and awaits Oldin's orders patiently as he readies himself for battle.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

"Well, seeing as how we have no suggestions for how to determine the nature of the Natchai gathering, I suggest that we wait for Leenah, Esias, and Aeless to return. Then we can scout out the gathering together. We will keep our distance and remaining in the shadows in an attempt to discern if Amon is being held on the surface. If he is still held beneath the obelisk and Leenah is successful in opening the door, then we will all travel together beneath the obelisk to find Amon."

"Once we can protect Amon, I believe that I, too, will be in favor of a frontal assault."

Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Moves with Esias and Aeless to find a way towards the obelisk, she carries her lantern hooded nearly completely unless Jermain was able to cast a spell to allow her to see.

Move silently: +9
Listen: +5
Search: +10 (While walking, if they can get to the door it is +15 to search the door for traps)
Spot: +1
Disable Device: +12
Open Lock: +15
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias suggests that the three "scouts" go around the camp to reach the door, the better to avoid detection; an obvious tactic, but worth specifying. Otherwise, he's ready to go.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"In case you see a fire arrow, it means we're in trouble." as they take their silent leave.
CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar

Post by CarnageCJB »

Jiam takes a sip fom his flask, and looks up at the group preparing to depart. "I may not be of much use in a 'sneaky' role, but I can provide a few items that could perhaps come in handy, if you would like." Jiam offers the use of some Alchemist's Fire, a Smokestick, a Tanglefoot Bag, a Thunderstone, a Hooded Lantern, a Bullseye Lantern, some Tindertwigs to light the lanterns with, a Sunrod, and a couple of signal whistles. "I don't know if any of this will be of any use at all, but if you feel that it may be helpful, you are welcome to it. I myself am more inclined to action than to sneaking, but I can see the need for more information before rushing into action."
Everybody loves ninjas!
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Esias, Leenah, and Aeless decend the hill, quickly disappearing into the darkness. In addition to the well-light center of the camp, where the people have gathered, you can see a faint light near the door at the opposite end of the valley.

I am setting up a separate thread for the scouting mission. The rest of you can continue to post any discussion of strategy, preparations, etc., here. I will try to validate that other thread more quickly than usual, so the rest of you aren't waiting too long...
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Early validation, since something has happened that requires your attention.

Jermain and Rúadhnait see it at the same time. A brilliant light ascending into the night sky from near the position of the doorway. It briefly shows the form of the obelisk behind it.

Post your actions here, rather than in the scouting thread, until you reach their location. If you are going to run, you will need light. Also, the first 100 feet down into the valley is difficult terrain on the steep and snowy slope of the hill. The snow on the valley floor is not deep enough to be considered difficult, though.

Use the map below to indicate your route, if you are going to head towards the signal. 1 square = 25 feet.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin shakes his head and begins trekking down the slopes, carefully, "I suppose they were prepared for us, as many of you have stated. I apologize. Either we all travel together, or I can aid one of us in arriving sooner."

whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Without waiting for further conference, Rúadhnait starts down the hill by the most direct route, as fast as she is able without the benefit of light. As she goes, she whoops a loud war cry.
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand starts making his way down the hill, as fast as safely possible. Grumbling to himself, "Knew I should have kept my horse."

OOC: Brand is a candidate for the Longstrider scroll, since he only travels at 20' per round or 60' at a run. Though if it will help someone else reach them much faster, that works too.
Last edited by Galaphile on Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image R.I.P. Brand
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Vulan moves with Oldin, and speaks quickly trying to speak loud enough for him to hear over the woman's battlecry, "Oldin, I leave my expertise to you, should I engage the camp as she is most likely to do, or move beyond it to aid the others."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

"Vulan, from the looks of it, the camp does not care about our presense. It will bode very poorly for us should she trek through the camp. I understand that to a warrior to die in battle is a glorious death, but to sacrifice yourself to battle is just idiotic. I suggest skirting camp and doing your best to help the others. Should she pick a fight with the entire camp while our allies are in danger beyond, then she has no business traveling with us. We will do our best to help her, but she will seal her own fate."

CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar

Post by CarnageCJB »

OOC: I have a base move of 40 already (160 at a run), so I can probably get there first. Since I'm not the party's best fighter by any measure, I'd recommend giving the Longstrider to Brand, so his speed can be upped to 90 at a run. It'll still take him six rounds to get there (plus a round for casting the spell), but that's better than nine. (Also, I may have a secret weapon (that can be given to whomever) for what we're coming up against when I actually find out what we're running to face. (Assuming that Jiam knows the weakness IC... Is it common knowledge?)) Are we going to try and move in together? Or should we try and each get there ASAP? An organized front would probably let us survive longer, but will probably mean that our scouts are done for. Arriving one at a time will mean that we can get picked off that way as well (unless we arrive within a round or so of each other).

Also OOC, who visibly looks like our best "tank"? Best able to both give and take damage? I'm guessing either Brand or Vulan, but I could be mistaken...

IC:
Upon hearing Rúadhnait give a cry to wake the dead, Jiam looks up from his meditation, picks up his staff, grabs a Sunrod from one of the many folds of his outfit, and begins moving down the hillside with the party, as fast as he is able.
(Heading from K27->L26->M25->N24->O23 then running straight up O to the rest of the party, as fast as possible, should take me about four rounds (unless my math sucks worse than I thought).)
Everybody loves ninjas!
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Looking at Jiam, and judging quickly his stature, Vulan nods to Oldin, and says quickly, "I agree, and I think that I should recieve the spell you suggest, for I will carry Jiam with me to the field of battle. I doubt very much that he weighs more than a hundred pounds with all his gear, and I can still travel at my fullest with even that. But I would like to test his weight first before attempting it."

OOC: As long as Jiam doesn't weigh 154 lbs, I can still move at 40 ft
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin will follow someone who looks like they know where they are going.

OOC: This will be my last post for a little while. My 21 hours of driving begins.

CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar

Post by CarnageCJB »

Tailor wrote:OOC: As long as Jiam doesn't weigh 154 lbs, I can still move at 40 ft
OOC:Sorry, just over 200 with all my gear. (I'm 187 with none at all.) But my move is still 40, so I could keep up. (Unless the spell would push you up to a move of 50, in which case you would get there a round or two before me (not counting the round it would take to cast the spell)).)
Everybody loves ninjas!
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

OOC:
Brand will follow Jiam's path to the East (Left) of the camp, probably going as far left as the Q line, since he doesn't move that quietly in all his armor.

Brand has 58 HP and an AC of 23. Atk is +8. Dmg is 1d8+3.

Definitely built to take Damage, moreso, than dish it out.

Since, Vulan and Jiam, already move 40', and I assume they can't increase their speed past that, I think Brand should take the scroll?
Image R.I.P. Brand
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

After lifting Jiam, Vulan grunts a little then looks over at Brand, while speaking to Oldin, "I cannot do what I suggest. Give Brand the speed increase and we will skirt the edge of the encampment to aid them, come as quickly as possible Oldin."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

OOC: Well my U-Haul broke down just outside Charlotte, NC. I am currently at Circuit City. I may be able to post once or twice, if need be :-P

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Note ... next validation may be around 8 pm tomorrow, rather than the usual time of late afternoon, due to a minor work crisis. Don't let that delay the two of you who haven't posted yet, though, since I may be able to resolve the crisis and post at the regular time ...

Edit: crisis averted ... validation in a few minutes ...
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Note, because of the unusual timing of validations last week there may have been some confusion. Therefore, I'm assuming Jermain and Elezar are doing what the rest of the party is doing: moving across the valley at their best possible speed. That may not happen in the future. If you don’t post, or let me know that you can’t for a few days, your character may end up doing nothing.

Seeing the flare from across the valley, Rúadhnait whoops a war cry and sprints off into the darkness directly toward the center of the valley, without waiting to consult with any of the others. The rest of the group makes haste down the hill, with Jiam’s sunrod lighting the way, on a path to avoid the camp.

Reaching the valley floor, the party begins to run. Jiam and Vulan quickly outdistance the others, while Oldin and Brand lag behind. As a result, you end up stretched out into three pairs (Jiam and Vulan, Elezar and Jermain, and Oldin and Brand), although those behind can still get their bearings following the light of Jiam’s sunrod. [Note for Oldin: longstrider is a personal only spell, if you still want to use it, let me know. You’ll get to the doorway between the second group and Brand]

Jiam and Vulan arrive at the scene of the slaughter first …

Validation continues in new thread …
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oh, my bad. Sure, I'll use it. A healer in the area never hurts.

Return to “Perearth: Archives”