To the rescue

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

To the rescue

Post by patransom »

Jiam and Vulan are the only ones close enough to see the details of what’s going on as yet; the rest of you are still running towards the area. You will arrive in a few rounds. If you want to make some preparation while you run, go ahead and post or PM it, but remember, you don’t know exactly the situation as described here, although you can probably hear some commotion as Jiam and Vulan arrive.

As Jiam and Vulan near the front of the door, they several figures moving about. One (#3) standing still near the doorway, two (#1 and #2) moving away from them toward the hillside, and a fourth (the “M”) walking slowly forward.

As the reach the torchlight area, they can make out the details. The bodies of their three companions lie bloody in the snow. The door is open and a passage leads back into the hillside.

Three of the four men (#’s 1-3) are burly and wear what appear to be only the tattered remains of hides. They carry no obvious weapons. The fourth man (M) is much shorter, perhaps older, and wears armor made of animal hides and carries a heavy pick in one hand. Seeing Jiam and Vulan moving rapidly towards him, the short man stops in his tracks. The two who were moving away also stop and turn toward the intruders, away from the hillside. The man near the door remains where he was.

Even though only Jiam and Vulan are present yet, I’m going to maintain the regular validation schedule, not accelerate.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by TheGreenLabrador »

"Jiam, let us move to Leenah, I have a few potions in my bag that I can put down her throat. We will need any aid we can get, and to stop their bleeding if nothing else. Help me defend while I do so and until reinforcements arrive."

Vulan moves forward to Leenah's body. Declare dodge on the nearest man, move action to take out a potion while taking another move action to near Leenah.
CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar

Post by CarnageCJB »

Declare dodge on #1, move to W18 (assuming that Vulan heads to W20, if not, I'll adjust my position accordingly), and ready my staff for their attack. (Using my own unique combat style, of course. :wink: )
Everybody loves ninjas!
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Jiam rushes forward through the snow, staff held awkwardly by its end, rather than in a proper fighting grip.

Vulan offers advice, "Jiam, let us move to Leenah, I have a few potions in my bag that I can put down her throat. We will need any aid we can get, and to stop their bleeding if nothing else. Help me defend while I do so and until reinforcements arrive." He withdraws a potion from his pack and moves toward Leenah’s unmoving body. Arriving there, he sees that she is no longer bleeding, just lying unconscious in the snow.

The short man shouts something in Tharbrian. At first, the other three men stand still, then something odd happens ... the forms of all three twist and change. They sprout hair, canine-like snouts with sharp teeth, claws, and pointy ears. They howl as they run toward you.

As soon as #1 is within reach, Jiam swings his staff awkwardly at it, but fails to make contact.

The short man stands where he is, but begins gesturing and speaking in some foul and unknown language. He completes his spell, but nothing obvious happens.

It is then that you hear a whooping yell from behind you and Rúadhnait comes sprinting into the area!

The rest of you are still running toward the fight ... you'll be there soon
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Vulan, hearing the woman, takes the instant the creature twitches to see who is yelling, to move to out of reach, but still next to Leenah. (5 foot freestep to X19) Drawing his greatsword with one hand, (part of the 5 foot freestep move action) Vulan pours the potion down Leenah's throat hurriedly.
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

As soon as she is able assuming the potion makes it down her throat, she will pick up her short sword and dagger. If she can she will tumble up to stand and prepare to attack the nearest creature. If it is possible when she does her tumble to stand she would try for a flanking position.

Tumble: +10

Full attack is one attack with each weapon
short sword: +6, damage 1d6+2, 19-20/x2
dagger: +6, damage 1d4, 19-20/x2
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

When she wakes she shakes her head and sighs, "Did any of our group have silver weapons?" she asks Vulan, "Cause we aren't going to be able to do nearly as much damage with standard weapons, as with silver." She speaks loud enough that Jiam should be able to hear her. Rather than attacking she goes into full defensive, until the rest of the group arrives.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Jiam swings his staff awkwardly again at #1 and misses.

Vulan, drawing his greatsword, steps away from the creature and hurridly pours a potion down Leenah's throat.

Leenah coughs and awakens. Grabbing her weapons from the ground, she does a dexterous kip-up to her feet. As she does so, she says to Vulan, in a voice loud enough that Jiam and Ruadhnait can hear, "Did any of our group have silver weapons? Cause we aren't going to be able to do nearly as much damage with standard weapons, as with silver." [Leenah was healed 6 hp, putting her at 4 total]

Ruadhnait screams and charges full speed directly at #1. With the speed of her movement behind it, her spear actually pierces the creature's skin and it howls very slightly.

The creature strikes back at Ruadhnait with claws and teeth, hitting with one claw. [5 hp to Ruadhnait]

#2 attacks Jiam. One of its claws catches the stumbling monk directly at his throat. [Crit, 10 hp]

#3 moves around the melee to attack Ruadhnait from behind. With the advantage of a flanking position, it hits with both claws and its teeth. [15 hp more, for a total of 20 this round]

The small man near the door chants another spell. This time something happens. The ghostly form of a spiked gauntlet appears next to Vulan, and punches him in the chest. [6 hp]

It is at this point that Elezar and Jermain sprint into the area. At the same time, unfortunately, the torches that some of you saw pursuing Ruadhnait arrive. Four warriors clad in hides, carrying spears or axes rush in from that direction! [Marked by w1 through w4 on the map]
CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar

Post by CarnageCJB »

[Edit]:oops: That was all supposed to go before the validation. Stupid work. :oops: [/edit]
Last edited by CarnageCJB on Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everybody loves ninjas!
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Takes a five foot step back. Uses the wand to heal herself a little more.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CarnageCJB wrote:[Edit]:oops: That was all supposed to go before the validation. Stupid work. :oops: [/edit]
No problem, sorry I validated early becasue of my own work. Wouldn't have made a difference.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

No validation because only Leenah has posted an action and no one has instructed me what they want their characters to do in their absence. If you are out of town, you should let me know. If you want to drop out of the game, let me know that, too.
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

A) What is G on the map?
B) I was waiting for more actions to be posted,
C) Vulan takes a 5ft freestep to #1, and power attacks for the full 5.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

'g' is the ghostly spiked gauntlet. Sorry for not making that clear.[/i]
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

My apologies. Got back from GenCon and walked straight into a mess at work. You'd think that in an office with six adults, someone could figure something out for themselves once in a while!

Rúadhnait, reeling from the attack, lashes out again at the one in front of her (#1) with her spear. "Fight on!" she shouts to her companions, "It is a glorious day to die!"

Spear: +8, 1d8+4, 20/x3
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar

Post by CarnageCJB »

Jiam looks up at Leenah's words, and remembers his vial of Quicksilver. (OOC: Unfortunately, it's a move action to get it out, and a standard action to apply it. :( Not a good idea when surrounded by lycanthropes.) Realizing that he needs to put a little distance between himself and the lycanthropes in order to make any use of his vial, he grabs his staff by the end, and prepares to withdraw...

After listening to the wise advise posted in the rules thread (and opting to not get chopped to bits by AoO), I'm going to withdraw to A11, via Z20, then Z23, then A23. (Hopefully that will avoid any AoO. :wink: )
Everybody loves ninjas!
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Back on regular validation schedule. Based on the votes in the other thread, from now on if you do not post or otherwise give me instructions, your character will do nothing...

Jiam withdraws from the melee by some circuitous route [I wasn't quite sure where you meant to go, so I used my best judgement]

Elezar and Jermain stand still, as if shocked by the horror of the creatures …

Vulan steps forward and swings with all his strength at one of the attackers. His red greatsword cleaves directly across the creature's snout and comes out even redder, dripping with blood. The creature howls with pain. [Crit! Nice shot Vulan!]

Leenah steps backward and drops her dagger [you need to do that to have a free hand for the wand]. She pulls a wand from her belt and touches it to one of her wounds. [Sucessful Use Magic Device Check: healed 6 hp]

Ruadhnait shouts "It is a glorious day to die!" and pokes her spear at one of the creatures. She misses.

#1 counterattacks Vulan amidst it's pained howls, hitting with one claw. [6hp]

#2 ignores Jiam's flight and steps forward to attack Vulan in defense of its brother. It hits with two claws. [9 more hp for a total of 14 this round.]

#3 attacks Ruadhnait, slashing her with one of it's claws. [6 hp]

The ghostly spiked gauntlet floats forward in pursuit of Vulan. It strikes him a glancing blow. [2 hp more, total 16]

The small man casts another spell, directing it at the roaming Jiam. Jiam feels a swirl of winds about his body, but dodges their effects, whatever they might have been.

The warriors do not continue their pursuit of Ruadhnait. They seem to want to give the creatures a wide berth.

Two of them charge at Elezar. The first of them swings its greataxe wildly, missing him, but the second makes contact with its shortspear. [8 hp]

The other two sprint forward and assume a defensive stance near the small man.

It is at this moment that Oldin arrives…
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin makes a straight shot for R19. As he arrives, he beseeches, "Seker, may your light bind these wounds!" With one hand holding his massive tome and the other on Aeless, he releases the power that Seker has bestowed upon him. (Cure Serious Wounds).
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Seeing Oldin move towards Aeless she aims the wand at Esias and attempts to cure him.

Ranged touch: +7
Use Magical device: +8

Assuming that is successful she will return the wand to her belt. And if she can retrieve her dagger from the ground, if not that will be part of her next move.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

OOC: Um, unless that's a wand with a funky ability, I do believe the cure spells are touch only. (Oh, good work, General Custer, you just sold another shipment of rifles to Sitting Bull! :roll: )
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

OOC: Oops :oops: ok... so instead...

Move to Y17, X16 then on to Q16 for this turn.
If possible she will do a heal on Esias.
Use Magic Device: +8
Last edited by Icefire on Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

OOC: Once am up and at it, grab my melee weapon near me and thank Oldin as I get up. Fully get up rather than be a paste on the ground again.

IC:

"Thank you, Oldin. I much needed that." as Aeless looks and assess their predicament with a smile.
Last edited by valinor on Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar

Post by CarnageCJB »

Declare dodge on the first person to attack me this round (if any do). Jiam reaches into the folds of his clothing and withdraws a tiny capsule. He quickly and carefully breaks it open, rubbing the contents along the length of his staff. Quicksilver, weapon is treated as silver (including the -1 to damage) for 3 rounds. Having completed the application, he looks towards the beasties with a new gleam in his eyes.
Everybody loves ninjas!
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Vulan, greatly annoyed by the ghostly mace, yells out, "Aeless! The man by the torch!" Before readying himself for the next attack by making one of his own.

Make a 5-ft freestep to V20.
Declare dodge on #1 (I know if was declared before, but for my own sake I redeclare), use combat expertise to apply +2 to AC, -2 to BAB.
Power Attack on #1, with a +3, total of +6 for 2-handed to damage, -3 for a total of -5 to BAB for this round.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Continuation from previous post:

After Oldin's prayer, the hand he laid upon Aeless ignites, the fire spreading to Aeless's wounds. The fire quickly subsides, and where it had been, the wounds are closed.

valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

OOC: Gotta get confirmed, if I was able to do the first thing... :) But as soon as I am able to move I will take careful aim to the man near the torch with 2 warriors next to him. :oops:
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Jiam reaches into the folds of his clothing and withdraws a tiny capsule. He quickly and carefully breaks it open, rubbing the contents along the length of his staff. Having completed the application, he looks towards the beasties with a new gleam in his eyes.

Elezar and Jermian continue to stand as if frozen with fear

Oldin sprints forward, moving faster than you have ever seen the old man move. As he arrives, he beseeches, "Seker, may your light bind these wounds!" With one hand holding his massive tome, he places the other on Aeless. The hand he lays upon Aeless ignites with a golden flame, the fire spreading to Aeless's wounds.

Rather than burning Aeless, the flame seems to close his wounds! Aeless grabs his greatsword and stands up, "Thank you, Oldin. I much needed that." He smiles. [Aeless is now at 13 hp, he was down to -9. Using the scroll of longstrider, Oldin, may possibly have saved his life.]

Vulan yells out, "Aeless! The man by the torch!" He steps back from his previous position, but continues to attack the creature he gravely wounded before. Another telling blow lands on the creature's head and it crumples to the ground. [Another near crit ... this one wasn't confirmed, but you did just enough damage to kill the thing!]

Leenah, wand still in hand, moves cautiously around the melee, heading for Esias.

Ruadhnait, her foe vanquished by Vulan's red sword, turns her spear on #3. Its point barely pierces the creature's skin and it howls slightly. [Let you get away with one there, but in the future, no post, no action per the votes in the other thread.]

Ruadhnait's foe counterattacks, slashing her with one of its claws. [5 hp]

The other remaining creature moves after Vulan, slashing and biting. It hits with one of its claws. [7 hp]

The ghostly spiked gauntlet punches again at Vulan, but this time misses completely.

The small man says something in Tharbrian to the two warriors next to him and then casts a spell. An icy mist rises from the snow around him, and the whole area near the door is hidden from view. From the timing of his action, it seems provoked by the fall of the werewolf, not by Vulan's instruction to go after him.

The two warriors near Elezar move in concert to surround him. They strike at him, but, in spite of his apparent fear, he seems to be defending himself quite well.

The two warriors who stood near the small man emerge from the fog in different locations. One moves in Jiam's direction. The other emerges near Leenah's right hand and jabs at her with his spear. He does not make contact.

Three more warriors arrive from the direction Ruadhnait came. If you look back that way, you do not see any more torches coming.

[If you're wondering where Brand is, he'll be here soon … very soon]
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

5-foot step to Q17, bend down and use the wand on Esias.

Use Magic Device: +8
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Ruadhnait fights on, seemingly heedless of her savage wounds. She stabs her spear at #3 again, shouting something in her native tongue.
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin nods to Aeless and steps toward Esias. Oldin makes another solemn plea to Seker, and once more, the golden flame appears and closes Esias's wounds. These flames are not as bright (Cure Moderate Wounds).

As Leenah finishes, Oldin says, "I will aid Ruadhnait and Vulan. Keep an eye open if it becomes too much for me to handle," as he pulls out his own wand.

Return to “Perearth: Archives”