Rules Questions

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

If I were to change my attack, to try and disarm one of these dudes, could he make an attack of opportunity at me, since I assume he's not wielding a melee weapon?

Also, I assume since he's not holding a melee weapon, he would take a -4 on the opposing roll?

Am I correct?
Image R.I.P. Brand
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

shai-hulud wrote:I just wanted to bring up Esias's action. Esias seems to be attempting something in the rules known as a snipe attack. The tree will definitely provide partial cover, but should Esias succeed on a Hide check versus each dude's spot check, he can perform a snipe attack. The chances for sniping at close range are nearly zero, but I have no idea what his modifiers are.

Here are the rules, he makes a hide check with a -20 penalty (for attempting to snipe). Each dude then makes a spot check (at a penalty equal to their distance from the tree). The idea here is that when he first moves to the tree, he has total cover (he is behind the tree). When he snipes, he only has partial cover (+4 to his AC). Should he succeed on his snipe, he was able to move behind the tree before an enemy was able to fire at him (maintaining total cover). Should he fail, he was not able to move behind the tree, and his enemy gains a brief moment to fire at him behind his partial cover. Alternatively, if the tree only provides partial cover, then the snipe would do nothing, as he would still only have partial cover.

Of course, Esias will not be able to take advantage of sniping this round at all (since it requires a full round action to snipe), but just for future reference, if anyone was interested.
This is a good suggestion for your allies to keep in mind. Although it's important to note that you must have already hidden to take advantage of a snipe. Esias is no longer hidden since he ran out into the open last round.

In other words, you have to be already hidden, take a shot, then re-hide. If Esias were to successfully hide next round, he could then make a snipe attempt the following round. Of course, I'm not sure Esias would want to do this, since I think he likes to move around to take advantage of his skirmish damage! But someone else might like this strategy (hint for Aeless and Thanis :))
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Galaphile wrote:If I were to change my attack, to try and disarm one of these dudes, could he make an attack of opportunity at me, since I assume he's not wielding a melee weapon?

Also, I assume since he's not holding a melee weapon, he would take a -4 on the opposing roll?

Am I correct?
Yes, you are correct.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

shai-hulud wrote:No, Oldin cannot spontaneously cast healing spells, but he can rememorize different spells, just as a wizard can. Whatever percentage of spells he is trying to rememorize, that is the percentage of one hour that it will take to memorize new spells in their place.
From the PHB, p178, last paragraph, emphasis added:

"When preparing spells for the day, a wizard can leave some of these spell slots open. Later during that day, she can repeat the preparation process as often as she likes, time and circumstances permitting. During these extra sessions of preparation, the wizard can fill these unused spell slots. She cannot, however, abandon a previously prepared spell to replace it with another one or fill a slot that is empty because she has cast a spell in the meantime. That sort of preparation requires a mind fresh from rest."

In other words, Oldin requires 8 hours of rest before replacing prepared spells with new ones. If Oldin had left spell slots open when preparing spells today, he could spend a portion of an hour to fill those slots now, but he didn't do that.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oh, my mistake. I might have been thinking of a different class. Sorry about the confusion.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Here is my interpretation of the current situation with Vulan. Sunbolt seems to be attempting to use actions where it does not seem possible for him to use them. For instance, taking an attack of opportunity against Oldin when he is unarmed. That seems impossible to me. Additionally, he is attempting to take an attack of opportunity from 10' away. That also seems impossible to me. Pat, please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

Attacks of opportunity:

Vulan is attempting to take attacks of opportunity against Oldin while he himself is unarmed. I am not certain if he has improved unarmed strike, but if he does not, this is not possible. Not to mention that if he moves in to Oldin, but Oldin readies an action to back away, he is no longer within reach to make the attack of opportunity. Nor is he in reach to make an attack. He must make another move action (two move actions negates the possibility for an attack). Of course, the second movement brings him within striking distance, and Oldin's tactic only works once. But still, it keeps Vulan from attacking for one round while still taking a fiery burst from Oldin's readied action.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Vulan couldn't take an AoO the first time because you weren't within range. You cast from more than 5' away. I don't remember if Vulan has Improved Unarmed Strike, but will determine if he does before allowing AoOs.

As for your ready action, I'll need to roll initiative before determining whether that will work (If he acts before you, he will get to hit you before you ready the action. Otherwise, his first step toward you will trigger you using the firey burst. Then he can complete moving toward you and punching, which would provoke an AoO if you were armed and he doesn't have Improved Unarmed Strike.)
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

patransom wrote:Vulan couldn't take an AoO the first time because you weren't within range. You cast from more than 5' away. I don't remember if Vulan has Improved Unarmed Strike, but will determine if he does before allowing AoOs.

As for your ready action, I'll need to roll initiative before determining whether that will work (If he acts before you, he will get to hit you before you ready the action. Otherwise, his first step toward you will trigger you using the firey burst. Then he can complete moving toward you and punching, which would provoke an AoO if you were armed and he doesn't have Improved Unarmed Strike.)
Apologies - I assumed we were in range during the first casting - looked at the map after. As for the second, I'm just not up on my aoo details, haven't used them in a while, and to be honest, it's highly unusual for me to play a character that is unarmed in a combat situation - but then I guess that's why Shai had Oldin chose now to start this thing. Let's see if someone can end it before one or both wind up bleeding and dead.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin is a proud man, and not very skilled in combat. Vulan has insulted him one time too many. This is his end, and I know it, but I cannot see him travelling with Vulan anymore. If Vulan knocks him down without killing him, he will likely try a different approach, one that will likely be deadly to him next time.

Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

shai-hulud wrote:Oldin is a proud man, and not very skilled in combat. Vulan has insulted him one time too many. This is his end, and I know it, but I cannot see him travelling with Vulan anymore. If Vulan knocks him down without killing him, he will likely try a different approach, one that will likely be deadly to him next time.
Of course that will only serve to prove Vulan right - that Oldin is a liar and a coward... but perhaps there are other ways to keep this from being deadly...
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Killing a man who wishes you harm is self-defense, not cowardice. It would prove nothing only that Oldin is a smart man who was not insane, and would not attempt the same tactic multiple times knowing that it would only lead to failure.

Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

shai-hulud wrote:Killing a man who wishes you harm is self-defense, not cowardice. It would prove nothing only that Oldin is a smart man who was not insane, and would not attempt the same tactic multiple times knowing that it would only lead to failure.
You're making the assumption that Vulan wants Oldin dead. He doesn't. Vulan simply feels that Oldin has done the dirty a few times too many - and this last one was an attack against him while he was unarmed. He isn't buying into this "it's Sekers fault" crap. So far as he's concerned that would be like blaming the bolt for killing someone when you picked up the crossbow, loaded it, aimed it and pulled the trigger. A slap across the face would have been easier to accept than a magic attack when he's unarmed.
Your best bet would have been to keep it in the vestibule. There, Vulan's attacks would have been nonlethal fisticuffs. And as you point out - he gets no aoos to disrupt your spells. (Which doesn't make much sense to me, if someone's letting their guard down, why can't you move in and throttle them with your bare hands to disrupt concentration.... but that's why AOOs are so stupid in concept).
If Oldin attacks Vulan again without announcing the attack - Vulan will kill him. But if this resolves - it will be just like the dudes in the bar. Oldin admits he's beat - and Vulan accepts him and makes peace.
Battle is for the battlefield, once the battle-rage is done - so is the battle.
It might not be the wisest course of action, but it's what Vulan accepts as honor. The problem here has always been that Oldin has no honor that Vulan can see and uses every excuse to get his own way without owning his own actions.

"The boy is in danger, so I had no choice" "It was Seker's will, not mine"

These are words of liars and cowards - and Vulan is bound by his own honor the way Oldin is bound by his pride. One or the other will have to break - or the two will need to reach an accommodation - or just one kills the other.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

You mention in the other thread that Oldin must learn humility. In all honesty, at the first mention of Oldin's actions, Oldin took it on the chin, accepting that Vulan felt the way he did. When Vulan continued, Oldin began rejecting Vulan's repeated accusations. As Vulan continued even more, Oldin realized that Vulan's words mean nothing. His continued reiteration of his stated opinion did more to undermine his position than its stating in the first place.

As far as Oldin's magics, the spell Oldin used was a spell designed to punish the enemies of his god. So Oldin not only believes that his magic was punishment from Seker, but he is correct in his belief (in this case). While he did, in fact, direct it at Vulan, he is correct that it was punishment from Seker. Trying to change a devout man's beliefs is nigh impossible. Stating your beliefs once is all well and good, and future events might have given cause for Vulan to reiterate his beliefs, but constantly attacking Oldin every chance he got was beyond stating his beliefs. It was beyond insulting. It was an attack on Oldin himself, an attack on Oldin was responded in kind. To Vulan, they are different. Oldin attacked an unarmed man, but Oldin, himself, is unarmed. He has no weapons, save his magics. This will not end well. Oldin is making many valid points. He accepted Vulan's position at the beginning. Now it is Vulan who must be accomodating.

Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

shai-hulud wrote:You mention in the other thread that Oldin must learn humility. In all honesty, at the first mention of Oldin's actions, Oldin took it on the chin, accepting that Vulan felt the way he did. When Vulan continued, Oldin began rejecting Vulan's repeated accusations. As Vulan continued even more, Oldin realized that Vulan's words mean nothing. His continued reiteration of his stated opinion did more to undermine his position than its stating in the first place.

As far as Oldin's magics, the spell Oldin used was a spell designed to punish the enemies of his god. So Oldin not only believes that his magic was punishment from Seker, but he is correct in his belief (in this case). While he did, in fact, direct it at Vulan, he is correct that it was punishment from Seker. Trying to change a devout man's beliefs is nigh impossible. Stating your beliefs once is all well and good, and future events might have given cause for Vulan to reiterate his beliefs, but constantly attacking Oldin every chance he got was beyond stating his beliefs. It was beyond insulting. It was an attack on Oldin himself, an attack on Oldin was responded in kind. To Vulan, they are different. Oldin attacked an unarmed man, but Oldin, himself, is unarmed. He has no weapons, save his magics. This will not end well. Oldin is making many valid points. He accepted Vulan's position at the beginning. Now it is Vulan who must be accomodating.
Clearly we disagree on the terms of unarmed... in the world in which vulan and Oldin knew until recently being a man who can cast magic from afar is hardly unarmed. Oldin's punishment spell could only go off on Vulan - who isn't an enemy of Seker - he has no care of Seker at all. He's not even an enemy of Oldin. He rails at Oldin because he blames Oldin for trapping him on this world, and he will continue to do so until that comes out. Of course, that's only been hinted at - because he continues to use the murder of the unarmed - it's easier for him to accept, as that was a more egregious offense.
In fact, the only thing you said that might make a difference is that these men aren't trained in armed conflict except with Khuns. (I was hoping someone would bring that up at some point.... but the timing is all wrong now) To Vulan's senses if you're old enough to threaten someone, you're old enough to fight with a blade - it simply hasn't occurred to him that these guys are not capable of it.
As for accepting Vulan's position in the beginning - he might have - but he didn't change anything. He did nothing before Vulan that would make it seem that he accepted anything, only tolerated traveling with a man who disagreed with him. He was going to do it again. And when he cast that spell - could that spell have possibly affected Oldin? By the very nature of it - which vulan doesn't even understand - if it works it can only affect someone else. If Oldin was in fact guilty of betraying his god - the spell wouldn't be granted. So no harm to Oldin. If it does work -- it hits whomever Oldin THINKS is his enemy. It's a magic missile, a fire ball, or any other spell and Vulan can't buy it any other way without years of study of religion or magic. A cowardly attack on him while he was unarmed. If Oldin apologized for that action, or took the blow to the gut and didn't pursue it (tit for tat) Vulan would let it go.
Honestly, if the validation had come with us only having the one post each, we'd have been better off. But the verbal banter is escalating to the point I don't see the two getting out with both alive - unless someone else intercedes. (Which is why I had Vulan ask Sanctuary for analysis.)
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

I'll throw in an opinion and provide some out of character knowledge. I happen to think both characters are acting their alignment (lawful stubborn).

Also, if Oldin were a cleric and this were the world you know, as a DM I would still have allowed the spell to go off, even though Seker would not approve of this particular use of his divine power. But there would likely be some sort of punishment for Oldin, either immediate or in the near future. If Oldin were a cleric in the Gamma World, I haven't decided exactly what would happen ... Oldin, however, is not a cleric, he's an archivist, so the point is moot.
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

patransom wrote:I'll throw in an opinion and provide some out of character knowledge. I happen to think both characters are acting their alignment (lawful stubborn).

Also, if Oldin were a cleric and this were the world you know, as a DM I would still have allowed the spell to go off, even though Seker would not approve of this particular use of his divine power. But there would likely be some sort of punishment for Oldin, either immediate or in the near future. If Oldin were a cleric in the Gamma World, I haven't decided exactly what would happen ... Oldin, however, is not a cleric, he's an archivist, so the point is moot.
lol... and Vulan wouldn't know the difference anyway!
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin knows the difference in how he prepares, but he believes the source of his power to be the same.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

I have a question on hide vs. spot.

Situation:
Assuming Thanis's range increment is 80 ft., if Thanis decided to go out 400 feet, that would be his fifth range increment. Granted, all shots would be at a -8, but the spot check to see him would be at a -40 (each 10' providing a -1 to the observers' spot checks). This allows Thanis to make snipe attempts at a -20 and overall be 20 higher than his normal hide. This would ordinarily make the snipe attempt nearly always successful (an awesome tactic in regular D&D).

Question:
A pair of standard binoculars from the MSRD reduces range penalties to -1 per 50 feet (instead of -1 per 10 feet). This would reduce the penalty to -8 instead of -40. Because the viewing range is so much smaller, does it take any additional time to spot something through binoculars? I mean, with normal sight, it is easy to see everything within range, but with binoculars, you have to move them around to find your target. Is it still a free action to spot through binoculars? Or even a standard action seems rather short to me.

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

fwiw, i'm @ 200' (range inc is 225') and under a guille suit (+10 to hide)
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

With that kind of range increment, assuming they are using binoculars, you might want to back up quite a bit, like to 1100 feet. It will give your opponents a -22 on their spot checks while only posing a -8 on your attack rolls. Pretty much, for every 200 feet you go back, it applies a -4 penalty to spot checks with binoculars (-20 without binoculars) and a -2 penalty to your attack roll. Seems like an awesome tradeoff in my opinion.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Question about jumping: Can a player jump while making a charge? According to the rules in the Rules compendium, a character can make a horizontal jump, but the rulebook makes no mention of a vertical jump. Now, how does one determine the height that can be reached during a horizontal jump? Is it the same as if the character were trying for a vertical jump? Is there a difference?

What this means for the current situation: All of the characters going after the dabber who are within two move actions from him might be able to run and jump, trying to pull him from the fence. Since two characters could theoretically be involved in a grapple (there are two adjacent squares), it seems like there is potential.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Even though the rules are silent on a vertical jump during a charge, I'm going to allow it, as long as the charge attack occurs at the end of the vertical leap. My thinking is that you could run, hurdle something, land, and continue running, then attack (horizontal jump). You could run, plant, jump up, (like a high jumper), then attack in the air. You couldn't run, plant, jump up, grab the fence, climb some more, then attack. Unless you had a climb speed ...
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Re: Rules Questions

Post by shai-hulud »

MSRD wrote:

Code: Select all

Table: Melee Weapons
Weapon          Damage  Critical  Damage Type  Range Increment  Size   Weight  Purchase DC  Restriction
Simple Weapons (require the Simple Weapons Proficiency feat)
Rifle butt      1d6     20        Bludgeoning  —                Large  —       —            —
Rifle Butt
The butt of a rifle can be used as an impromptu club.
Since Rifle butt is a simply weapon, Thanis should have proficiency, and it should deal 1d6 damage, not 1d4 (if Pat goes with these stats, of course).

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Yeah, I only noticed the rifle butt rules in the MSRD last week! These stupid dudes have been wasting actions switching to their billy clubs, when turning their submachine guns around would achieve the exact same thing.

Anyway, I accept those stats as perfectly reasonable...
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Hooray!!

Thanks Shai, and Pat.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

patransom wrote:These stupid dudes have been wasting actions switching to their billy clubs, when turning their submachine guns around would achieve the exact same thing.
Obviously, a case of style over efficiency; whacking at people with a billy club is considered cool, whereas using a rifle butt, no matter how effective, is not. And Dudes are nothing if not cool... :D

(Alternately, of course, the SMGs could have collapsible stocks that really aren't suitable for clubbing.)
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:Obviously, a case of style over efficiency; whacking at people with a billy club is considered cool, whereas using a rifle butt, no matter how effective, is not. And Dudes are nothing if not cool... :D

(Alternately, of course, the SMGs could have collapsible stocks that really aren't suitable for clubbing.)
I think whacking someone with your rifle is much cooler than a stupid little billy club -- it's like the difference between a Green Beret and a mall security guard. I will, however, take the latter as my retcon explanation for the Dude's behavior. Yeah, the SMG stocks are too narrow and lightweight for effective clubbing, that's it.

Return to “Perearth: Archives”