Rules Questions

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Rules Questions

Post by patransom »

I split the below out from one of the main threads, just to maintain some semblance of immersion. Plus now we'll have a place to discuss such things.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

shai-hulud wrote:OOC: Combined move actions have always been something that confused me. I believe that I read somewhere that a character with a base attack bonus of at least +1 can draw a weapon while moving as a single move action. Does this apply for grabbing potions, etc.?
You can draw a weapon during a move if your base attack bonus is +1 or better. For our purposes, I interpret this as applying to wands, too, since I've always visualized them as sheathed and ready at hand like weapons.

Retrieving a stowed item like a potion, scroll, or grenade-like weapon is a separate move action to which this rule does not apply. You wouldn't want these things in a sheath on your body, since they could be easily destroyed in combat. You have to dig them out of a pack or pouch. Someplace with a lid where they'll be safe.

So Vulan's action follows this rule: 1 move to retrieve potion, another to move to Leenah.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

I think so, unless they changed it.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Cool, thanks for the clarification :)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by TheGreenLabrador »

Indeed, it is as patransom says, I ensured it was that way via the SRD before I had posted it. Unless of course, before combat I would tie a string around all the necks of the potion bottles and tie the other end of the string somewhere outside the bag, in which case, I am sure it would be much easier than a move action to rummage around in my pack. :-)
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

CarnageCJB wrote:(Charges don't provoke AoO, right? (I hope they don't... But I honestly don't remember...))
Unfortunately, as far as I know, there are only two movements that do not provoke attacks of opportunity. A 5-foot step (free action) and a full withdrawal ignores your first 5-foot square when determining if that square is threatened for purposes of attacks of opportunity. Charging will cause you to leave a threatened square, which will provoke an attack of opportunity. Now, since Vulan posted that he is 5-foot stepping in to #1, you could 5-foot step to Vulan's previous position and apply the quicksilver without provoking any attacks of opportunity.

CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar

Post by CarnageCJB »

except it would take a five foot step to get into the square, then a move action to get the quicksilver out, then a standard (full round action) to apply it. I'm pretty sure that someone would be after me within two rounds if I stayed that close to the combat... :(
Everybody loves ninjas!
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Charges DO provoke AOOs. I might recommend a withdraw action, if you can figure out a decent place to withdraw to.
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

also, you cannot have a 5ft and a withdraw in the same round

*edit* Betcha by 2 minutes Shai
Last edited by TheGreenLabrador on Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

You cannot have a 5ft and any other movement in the same round. A 5ft replaces your movement for the round. You can take any move actions that don't require movement, though.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

I forget flanking rules. If a person with a ranged weapon is standing on the opposite side of an opponent from an ally with a melee weapon, is the person with the ranged weapon considered flanking, but the person with the melee weapon is not? like this:

Ranged (+2 from flank?)

Enemy
Melee (no +2 from flank?)

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

IIRC, you only create a flanking situation if you threaten an opponent in melee. So adjacent squares only, unless you have a reach weapon. Ranged weapons don't count for flanking. I suppose I could look it up, but I'm feeling lazy this morning.
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

patransom wrote:IIRC, you only create a flanking situation if you threaten an opponent in melee. So adjacent squares only, unless you have a reach weapon. Ranged weapons don't count for flanking. I suppose I could look it up, but I'm feeling lazy this morning.
If the person with the ranged weapon was firing from point blank range - and an ally with a sword was on the other side of the opponent then there could be a flanky situation - since the person is being threatened from two places... however, the archer is going to provoke an attack of opportunity before the flanking benefits can be accessed - if it kills him - there goes the flank.

Also - if the archer misses, there's a percent chance he hits his ally....
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

That is incorrect. There are two things that must happen for a flanking bonus, 1st, they must be directly opposite each other with the enemy in the middle. Secondly, both characters must threaten the enemy character. An archer does not threaten a character, ever. Unless he wants to hit the person, with the bow, and not an arrow.

http://boards1.wizards.com/archive/inde ... 55965.html
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040302a

The second one has the statement that makes it totally clear.
You can flank with any melee weapon, including a reach weapon, but you cannot flank with a ranged weapon.
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Also, drawn from the current actions
OOC: Charges at w7 (P-6) with a Large Greatsword 3d6+1 (Flanking)(Sneak Attack +1d6) (Charge)

Aeless charges at the warrior, trying to alleviate some of the opponents on Jiam.
I believe that they are in a mist, which provides partial cover, probably a 20% chance, you cannot sneak attack.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040217a
Sneak attacks require a clear view of the target. Any degree of concealment -- even concealment from fog (a lousy 20% miss chance) foils sneak attacks.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Yep, and also, you can't charge an opponent you can't see. The obscuring mist means you can only see who's there within 5 ft. Once you're within 5 ft, the 20% applies.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

np... sorry, bout that forgot the rules about it since i don't get a chance in a fight in one of these too often. :oops:
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

No worries. This rules thread is proving useful. Let's hope Aeless doesn't have to fight in one quite like this again for a while ... it's proved more challenging than anticipated :twisted:
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

Tailor wrote:That is incorrect. There are two things that must happen for a flanking bonus, 1st, they must be directly opposite each other with the enemy in the middle. Secondly, both characters must threaten the enemy character. An archer does not threaten a character, ever. Unless he wants to hit the person, with the bow, and not an arrow.

http://boards1.wizards.com/archive/inde ... 55965.html
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040302a

The second one has the statement that makes it totally clear.
You can flank with any melee weapon, including a reach weapon, but you cannot flank with a ranged weapon.
Bah - I house rule that one as stupid... if someone's about to shoot me at point blank range, I'm going to try to jump out of the way, same as if someone is trying to slash me with a sword - xbows and bows at that range provide a threat... so I disagree with the book on that one every time... I suppose I should have put that in my original post, sorry... but it's how I run my games.

The part about hitting your ally, however is right on in the rules as well as my games...

grin.

Not a total loss, I suppose.
CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar

Post by CarnageCJB »

Thought I'd go ahead and post my intended actions here, prior to posting in the thread, since I probably won't have a chance to change things after tonight. Please let me know if I'm going to be provoking lots of AoO by doing this!!

Five foot step to M3 (Freestep, doesn't provoke AoO), then Flurry of Blows against the caster M (I believe I shall call him "Bob" for the duration). First strike, I shall use the Stunning Fist (Unarmed Strike +2, 1d8+1, DC 15 (Fort)). After that, I am going to use the second attack in the Flurry for a Grapple attempt (+4 (or does it take the -2 from flurry attacks as well, making it +2?), moving into his square (N3) if I succeed (5 foot step not considered part of movement, allowed as part of grapple, doesn't provoke AoO, correct?)

Thanks a bunch, and I'll check back later this evening prior to posting in the actual thread to see if I'm going to be setting myself up for lots of slicing and dicing by the mooks!
Everybody loves ninjas!
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

The touch attack to begin the grapple takes the -2, but a grapple attempt is a Strength-based check, so it does not suffer the -2 penalty, because that is to all attacks you make during the round (of which, your grapple was already penalized for the touch attack portion).

Pat, please confirm this, as I am very tired and may be writing gibberish.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

And none of the movement you are proposing should provoke any attacks of opportunity.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Yeah, sorry, wasn't able to check in yesterday evening. I'm certain that none of the movement will cause an AoO. The touch attack to start the AoO will take the flurry penalty, but the grapple check to establish a hold won't. The grapple attempt itself will provoke AoO's, but not very many if the position you've moved to is what I think it is.
CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar

Post by CarnageCJB »

From my reading of
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specia ... tm#grapple
you only provoke AoO from the person you are attempting a grapple on, unless there is a special circumstance, such as moving from a threatened square or something. But I think that grapple rules are way too confusing for me. :P
Everybody loves ninjas!
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

CarnageCJB wrote: Five foot step to M3 (Freestep, doesn't provoke AoO), then Flurry of Blows against the caster M (I believe I shall call him "Bob" for the duration). First strike, I shall use the Stunning Fist (Unarmed Strike +2, 1d8+1, DC 15 (Fort)). After that, I am going to use the second attack in the Flurry for a Grapple attempt (+4 (or does it take the -2 from flurry attacks as well, making it +2?), moving into his square (N3) if I succeed (5 foot step not considered part of movement, allowed as part of grapple, doesn't provoke AoO, correct?)
The only thing that throws me off is moving a five foot step twice in one round. My instincts tell me you can only do that once per round, and I don't have my ph handy to look it up. I don't think it's in the book specifically, but even though you're allowed to move a free five feet as part of a grapple - I don't think you can do that if you've already moved five feet that round. Someone with the book handy check it?
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

The five foot step to initiate a grapple is not considered part of a character's movement. It simply occurs as the attacker enters his opponent's square. The movement, however, does draw attacks of opportunity (I believe). This is all from memory, as my D&D books are all packed, but I Wizards has produced a four page discussion on grappling. I don't have time to review it, but here is the link...

It continues to part 2, part 3, and part 4

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

PHB p 156: "To maintain the grapple for later rounds, you must move into the target's space. (This movement is free and doesn't count as part of your movement in the round.)"
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Tashas Hideous laughter:

According to the onlysheet it has a duration of 5 rounds, but description says subject loses actions for 1d3 rounds.

According to SRD:
This spell afflicts the subject with uncontrollable laughter. It collapses into gales of manic laughter, falling prone. The subject can take no actions while laughing, but is not considered helpless. After the spell ends, it can act normally.

So is it 5 rounds or 1d3 rounds
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

klakxor wrote:Tashas Hideous laughter:

According to the onlysheet it has a duration of 5 rounds, but description says subject loses actions for 1d3 rounds.

According to SRD:
This spell afflicts the subject with uncontrollable laughter. It collapses into gales of manic laughter, falling prone. The subject can take no actions while laughing, but is not considered helpless. After the spell ends, it can act normally.

So is it 5 rounds or 1d3 rounds
TOS takes everything from D20SRD.org

Here is the entire entry from D20SRD.org
Hideous Laughter wrote:Hideous Laughter
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature; see text
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

A creature with an Intelligence score of 2 or lower is not affected. A creature whose type is different from the caster’s receives a +4 bonus on its saving throw, because humor doesn’t “translate” well.

Material Component
Tiny tarts that are thrown at the target and a feather that is waved in the air.
I am fairly certain that this would make the duration 5 rounds, not 1d3.

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

That is what I thought. I opened a thread under Insect Plague for admin to look at

Return to “Perearth: Archives”