Rules Questions

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

OOC: Yes, I realize what Ruadhnait is doing is completely insane.

No, I have not grown tired of the character and want to see her die nor do I wish to quit the game. This is just... Ruadhnait.

This may sound crazy, but I often let my characters write their own personalities. I may have a detailed description of a character's methods and actions and then, suddenly, a brand new idea pops into my head and I just go with it because it seems to fit the character so well. That's what has happened here.

I hope she survives, because I'm sure that as the game goes on, she will only get more entertaining, but if she dies here, then at least she will die as she would have wanted. And she has been a blast to play, even if only for a short while.
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Question: Would I get my Sneak Attack Bonus hitting my opponents inside the mist?
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Without referencing the rules, you should only get your sneak attack bonus if your targets are denied their dex bonus to AC or you have flanking. You have concealment (and so do they), which isn't the same thing as being denied a dex bonus or having flanking.

Of course, you could sneak off into the mist where they can't see you, hide, and sneak back, such that they no longer know you're there. Then they'd get no dex bonus and you'd get in a sneak attack ...
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

valinor wrote:Aeless says something (Elvish) "avel' Thalik" and swings at his foe once more (w6).

OOC: Using a swift action to cast True Strike and swinging with the Large Greatsword. It should ignore the concealment roll for my attack.
Pretty sure you can't quite do that... You need to be a 5th level duskblade to do quick cast. Otherwise, True Strike is a standard action, so you'll have to wait for the next round to attack (and they get an AoO while you cast, unless you do so defensively).
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by TheGreenLabrador »

fyi, as long as your opponent has concealment, no sneak attacks are possible.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Is it possible to charge attack with a wand? If it is, I would like to charge Vulan and attack him with the wand of healing.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

I'm really not sure ... I'd probably allow it with a wand of shocking grasp or a touch attack spell (if you had already cast it and were holding the charge) ... but since a wand of healing isn't really an attack, I'd say no, although it seems inconsistent ... in any case, I wouldn't worry about it here since the werewolf is restricted to attacking Brand only, thanks to the Knight's Challenge.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Fair enough :)

valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Question about covers.

If a creature has cover vs me, I in turn has cover vs the creature?
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

valinor wrote:Question about covers.

If a creature has cover vs me, I in turn has cover vs the creature?
Yep, works both ways.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Not necessarily. A guy behind a tree can use the tree as cover while firing an arrow at a target. The rules for cover say that if one corner of your current position has line of fire to all four of an enemy's corners, the enemy has zero cover. If one corner of your position has line of fire to two or three of an enemy's square's corners, he has partial cover. Less than that, he has full cover.

Here is a poor illustration of my point. If someone else is better at drawing, perhaps they can offer a better illustration...

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

oh, and the one where i said that one and two have partial cover from each other, it may be that two does not have any cover... that is a judgement call on the part of the DM if the tree would get in the way...

valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Does this mean Aeless has cover vs the mystery man, while the mystery man has no cover bonus vs Aeless?
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Actually, that's a very good explanation of the rule, shai-hulud! I never read it that closely ... they should put diagrams like yours in the books.

Rechecking the map, Aeless has cover vs the small man, but the man does not have cover vs Aeless!
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by TheGreenLabrador »

Move to 1202 and drop from the stairs (Slow Fall, 20'), then continue across and down to reach 1010.
To actually do a monk slow fall requires something with which to slow fall upon, e.g. a wall, a falling person to kick off from, etc. You cannot actually... fall slowly without any aid.

At 4th level or higher, a monk within arm’s reach of a wall can use it to slow her descent. When first using this ability, she takes damage as if the fall were 20 feet shorter than it actually is. The monk’s ability to slow her fall (that is, to reduce the effective distance of the fall when next to a wall) improves with her monk level until at 20th level she can use a nearby wall to slow her descent and fall any distance without harm.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Heh, I made a behind the scenes jump check for Jiam, since that ability wouldn't work in this situation. He made it anyway.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Question on Sneak Attacks, do you get your sneak attack damage at range too?
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

valinor wrote:Question on Sneak Attacks, do you get your sneak attack damage at range too?
D20srd states, "Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet. "
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

But you need to be able to catch your opponent by surprise. You cannot flank your opponent with a ranged weapon...

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

shai-hulud wrote:But you need to be able to catch your opponent by surprise. You cannot flank your opponent with a ranged weapon...
Yep, you can't flank your opponent with a ranged weapon, so he must be w/in 30 feet and suprised or otherwise denied his dex bonus to armor class.
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

patransom wrote:
shai-hulud wrote:But you need to be able to catch your opponent by surprise. You cannot flank your opponent with a ranged weapon...
Yep, you can't flank your opponent with a ranged weapon, so he must be w/in 30 feet and suprised or otherwise denied his dex bonus to armor class.
If the oponent is flanked already - you can take advantage of that - I do believe.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Sunbolt wrote:
patransom wrote:
If the oponent is flanked already - you can take advantage of that - I do believe.
Not that I know of. Reading through Sneak Attack, I get the impression that the rogue himself must be performing the flank, not simply that the character is flanked. As strange as that idea might be, two opposing characters may be flanking an opponent, yet a third character arrives and from that character's position, the target is not flanked, even though to the two other attackers, he is...

Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

shai-hulud wrote:
Sunbolt wrote:
patransom wrote:
Not that I know of. Reading through Sneak Attack, I get the impression that the rogue himself must be performing the flank, not simply that the character is flanked. As strange as that idea might be, two opposing characters may be flanking an opponent, yet a third character arrives and from that character's position, the target is not flanked, even though to the two other attackers, he is...
That's an interesting interpretation. But if the person is flanked, then he's denied his dex bonus.... therefore the third party should be able to use the sneak attack.

Frankly, I still don't understand the rule that says you can't flank with a ranged weapon. If someone's dodging a sword, that should make it a bit more difficult to dodge an arrow - but that's just me using common sense....
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

A person who's flanked is not denied his dex bonus.

If a rogue has flanking (as opposed to an opponent being flanked), it's a special circumstance in which he can slip his blade into an unguarded area.

Threatening with a ranged weapon ... well, it might depend on the weapon ... and that's all I'm saying for now :twisted:
mechwarrior26
Horseman
Horseman

Post by mechwarrior26 »

Alright, I just wanted to know what the rules were for running. I've heard several different rules for this from several different DMs, I just wanted to know which one was right....

How far can I go while running, is it twice the ordinary distance, or x4 ordinary distance. and can I make an attack action after I do it? Can I shout something while running?
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

SRD wrote:Run
You can run as a full-round action. (If you do, you do not also get a 5-foot step.) When you run, you can move up to four times your speed in a straight line (or three times your speed if you’re in heavy armor). You lose any Dexterity bonus to AC unless you have the Run feat.

You can run for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution score, but after that you must make a DC 10 Constitution check to continue running. You must check again each round in which you continue to run, and the DC of this check increases by 1 for each check you have made. When you fail this check, you must stop running. A character who has run to his limit must rest for 1 minute (10 rounds) before running again. During a rest period, a character can move no faster than a normal move action.

You can’t run across difficult terrain or if you can’t see where you’re going.

A run represents a speed of about 12 miles per hour for an unencumbered human.
As a full round action, no, you could not attack. Because shouting is a free action, yes you could shout. Running unencumbered allows you to move up to 4x your single move speed, so long as you travel in a straight line. If the path you wish to take is not in a straight line, you cannot run it in one round, the best you can do is double-move.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

shai-hulud wrote:As a full round action, no, you could not attack. Because shouting is a free action, yes you could shout. Running unencumbered allows you to move up to 4x your single move speed, so long as you travel in a straight line. If the path you wish to take is not in a straight line, you cannot run it in one round, the best you can do is double-move.
Yep, exactly.
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

patransom wrote:
shai-hulud wrote:As a full round action, no, you could not attack. Because shouting is a free action, yes you could shout. Running unencumbered allows you to move up to 4x your single move speed, so long as you travel in a straight line. If the path you wish to take is not in a straight line, you cannot run it in one round, the best you can do is double-move.
Yep, exactly.
Of course if you're a Xeph Monk with Speed of Thought and Run feats you can really move - espeically when using the Xeph Burst ability!

The next DM who runs a campaign - that's what I'm going to play. Fastest character in the game!
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

patransom wrote:
Yep, exactly.
I do think you can pull off a charge or run through attack (is it called run through or is it now trample? I sometimes confuse my D&D with my Magic: The Gathering terms.) Basically you run right into your foe. Just watch out that he doesn't set for your attack - or you run right into his weapon! (Oh, that's what a pike feels like! Doh!)

Edit: Dope... I just checked in a charge you can only move twice your normal move and still get the attack in. In order to run - you really are dropping your defences etc. Looks like another great feat opportunity - improved charge pre: run. You can make a charging or overrun attack at 4 times your move instead of times 2. Same penatlies as for a normal charge....
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

I just wanted to bring up Esias's action. Esias seems to be attempting something in the rules known as a snipe attack. The tree will definitely provide partial cover, but should Esias succeed on a Hide check versus each dude's spot check, he can perform a snipe attack. The chances for sniping at close range are nearly zero, but I have no idea what his modifiers are.

Here are the rules, he makes a hide check with a -20 penalty (for attempting to snipe). Each dude then makes a spot check (at a penalty equal to their distance from the tree). The idea here is that when he first moves to the tree, he has total cover (he is behind the tree). When he snipes, he only has partial cover (+4 to his AC). Should he succeed on his snipe, he was able to move behind the tree before an enemy was able to fire at him (maintaining total cover). Should he fail, he was not able to move behind the tree, and his enemy gains a brief moment to fire at him behind his partial cover. Alternatively, if the tree only provides partial cover, then the snipe would do nothing, as he would still only have partial cover.

Of course, Esias will not be able to take advantage of sniping this round at all (since it requires a full round action to snipe), but just for future reference, if anyone was interested.

Return to “Perearth: Archives”