A burning ring of fire

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar

Post by CarnageCJB »

Jiam winces at the searing wounds from the fire, and sets about his attack on the man. "I've no idea how you managed to elude me last time, but I'm better prepared now, and I imagine that drunken brawls aren't quite as much fun for you as they are for me." Jiam chuckles to himself and quickly drinks a vial of alcohol. He smiles at the man as his eyes take on a glassy sheen and he staggers somewhat when the alcohol hits his system, but then he stands, perhaps slightly straighter than before partaking. Using "Drink like a Demon", +2 Con, -2 Wis and Int (there's a reason I've been carrying my flask in my hand :wink: ). "Come, let us resume what you were too cowardly to properly begin earlier." Jiam taunts the little man, then swings his staff at him with all the force, style, and accuracy of a golf club. :wink: Attack with my Improvised Staff (+4 to hit, 1d8+1+1d4)
Everybody loves ninjas!
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Eyeing the fire warily, Brand takes a 5 foot step to 1102, then throws his Javelin at the small man.

OOC:
Atk: +4 (includes -2 Range Penalty)
Dmg: 1d6+2
Image R.I.P. Brand
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

5-foot step to 902 and fire an arrow at the man.

Attack: +7
Damage: 1d6+1
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Tailor wrote:Vulan eyes the man, waiting until being *wacked* by Oldin, and moves quickly to 0909.
Now close to him, Vulan looks quickly at the man before acting.

OOC: Does he have armor on, if so, what kind? Attack during this round will be determined based on armor being worn, if any.
The small man is wearing hide armor. Is Vulan really going to wait for Oldin's wand whacking? Because it's not going to happen this round ... Oldin has to stand up from his hands and knees, move where he wants to go, while pulling out the wand, then heal himself ... so there's a bit before he can get to healing Vulan.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

OOC: Aeless will continue with his actions.
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Ruadhnait still hesitates, not wanting to cross the flames. But should the wall go down, she's on him like lightning.
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias mutters an oath and looses another arrow at the man.

OOC: still +7 to hit, damage will now be only 1d6+4 (and still magical, if he has protection from normal arrows up).
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by TheGreenLabrador »

Ah, didn't realize that. Finishing action then.

Vulan power attacks for full on the small man, hoping he is at least slightly distracted by the monk.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Leenah steps forward and fires an arrow at the small man, who now seems a bit frightened. In spite of the difficulty of shooting around Esias and into a melee, Leenah plugs the man in the shoulder.

Vulan rushes forward through the flames [16 hp fire damage], swinging a mighty blow with his greatsword, just missing the man's head as he ducks out of the way.

Brand flings his javelin at the small man, but finds him a difficult target now, surrounded by attackers. His javelin hits the wall behind the man.

Esias' shot is equally difficult and just barely misses the man.

Ruadhnait stands glaring at the flames, waiting for an opportunity that does not come.

Oldin struggles to his feet and staggers to the center of the ring, pulling out his wand as he goes. Near the center he finds it slightly less hot, but still very uncomfortable [4 hp fire damage].

Jiam chatters at the man while downing a flask of alcohol. As the booze hits his system, Jiam staggers a bit backwards while his staff swings awkwardly upward. The blow misses.

Aeless fires two quick arrows at the man. The first arrow, guided by Aeless' spell, strikes the man right next to Leenah's. The second is nowhere near hitting the man.

The small man seems amazed to be alive amidst the hail of arrows and blows. He growls as he swings his pick at Jiam, who sways a bit as the weapon hits him [4 hp]
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Fire another arrow, then put her bow away.

Attack: +7
Damage: 1d6+1
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Now in the center of this ring, Oldin's skin is charred from the flames, yet he does not scream. He stops himself from weeping. Standing in the middle of a fire that is slowly cooking him with the full knowledge that any attempt to escape will kill him outright, he remembers Amon, and his will overcomes his fear and pain. He concentrates on using his wand, sure that Seker will grant him the strength to pass through the wall of fire and aid in the rescue of his charge.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias steps back to 0903 (to give Rúadhnait a better shot if she wants it), slings his bow, draws his short sword, digs the vial of cure light wounds potion out of his pouch -- and musters his courage for what comes next. (This is gonna hurt.)
Last edited by CGM3 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless mutters those words again "Cael sar'Tho".
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Any possibility, if she were to put her back to the wall and move slowly, that Rúadhnait could move along the eastern wall and avoid contact with the flames? Or are we assuming that it actually fills the squares along the edges?

Assuming she can accomplish this, Rúadhnait moves to the eastern side or the room and does exactly that. If that isn't possible, see below.

OOC: On the pretext that the preceeding is not possible...

Rúadhnait steels herself and dashes through the ring of fire, as quickly as she is able, hoping to cross before succumbing to the effects. If successful, her move will end in square 1009.
John Grigsby
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

whtknt wrote:Any possibility, if she were to put her back to the wall and move slowly, that Rúadhnait could move along the eastern wall and avoid contact with the flames? Or are we assuming that it actually fills the squares along the edges?
Previously answered, although it was a few pages ago, so you could have missed it. The answer was no. The flames lick against the walls, even though the map doesn't make it look that way.
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand shakes his head muttering to himself, then takes a Cure Light Wounds potion out of his pack.
Image R.I.P. Brand
CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar

Post by CarnageCJB »

OOC: Forgot to mention that I'm using my Dodge bonus against the man, if it needed mentioning. :wink:

Attack with my Improvised Staff (+4 to hit, 1d8+1+1d4), take a five foot step to 1110 (to avoid the AoO from the following), and draw a Potion of Cure Light Wounds from my outfit.
Everybody loves ninjas!
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by TheGreenLabrador »

Once more against the man, full power attack.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Leenah fires another arrow at the man. Again, in spite of the difficult conditions, her shot is excellent and flies directly at the man's head. This time, however, just before the arrow is about to hit, a field of wild, brightly colored lights appears in front of it, deflecting the arrow off in a random direction! [Whaddya know, that spell finally worked ... too little too late, though]

Vulan swings heavily at the man again. He hits and the strength of his blow cuts the man's arm clean off! The lifeless man collapses to the ground in a heap.

Brand retreives a potion from his pack.

Esias steps back, slings his bow, and draws his short sword. [You'll need to wait until next round to retrieve the potion, but with the man down, it may not be as urgent]

Ruadhnait finally musters up the courage to cross the flames. But then, seeing the man fall, she reconsiders … [Took the liberty of having you reconsider, since there's no enemy at the end of your move now :)]

Oldin remains at the center of the ring and uses his wand on himself [healed 7 hp, take 3 hp fire damage, for a net of 4 hp healing]

Jiam staggers back a step and pulls out a potion. [Vulan just saved you from breaking your staff, Jiam, 'cause I pre-validated your attack and rolled a 1 :)]

Aeless decides there's no need for his spell now :)

The ring of fire still burns, but the room is otherwise quiet. [Out of combat mode for a bit]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

With a sigh of relief, Esias addresses Oldin: "Good sage, hie yourself from that fire afore you do yourself a serious mischief. Be there any way to dampen this blaze, or must the rest o' us run this fiery gantlet as well?"
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin does not acknowledge Esias. Still very near death, his insides roasting, he can think of nothing but using his wand.

valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"How long do these walls last?" the half-elf asks and moves to an area where the flame will not hit or touch him.
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah is going to search for to see if there is a way to disable the wall of flame as if it were a trap. If nothing is found within a fairly short period she is going to run through to come out at 1210.
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Ruadhnait waits to see if there is any sign that the wall will be coming down with the man's death. If it is apparent that the wall is not going to dissipate, she will dash through as quickly as possible.

I'm going to be at Disneyworld in Florida for the next week and don't know what kind of access, if any, I will have. Please NPC Ruadhnait as necessary and I'll "see" you all on Sunday.
John Grigsby
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Oh, crud.

Alarmed by Oldin's failure to respond, Esias offers a quick prayer to Johnny Cash (don't look at me like that, you knew someone would have to make that reference sooner or later, given the thread title :roll: ) as he tries to go to the sage and pull him out of the ring of fire. This can go one of two ways (depending on GM's fiat):

1 - move to 1206 (which takes up 20 ft of movement), grab Oldin in 1306 (standard action?) and drag him to safety at 1210 (another 20 ft, and Esias' speed is 40).

2 - move to 1206 (again, 20 ft), then into 1306 to grab Oldin (5 ft), then 15 ft to 1309 (which is still inside the ring, alas).
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

OOC: Should Oldin notice Esias moving toward him, he will call out to Esias to stop, but I am pretty sure Oldin's attention is elsewhere at the moment (Pat, perhaps a spot check is in order here?) If Esias makes it to Oldin, he will attempt to dodge being grabbed.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Oldin WILL notice Esias before being grabbed, so do what you want with that ...
CarnageCJB
Templar
Templar

Post by CarnageCJB »

Drink the potion, then look around and see if there is something that can be used to help get Oldin out of the circle.

OOC: It isn't possible to "help" someone drink a potion (unless they're unconcious), is it?
Everybody loves ninjas!
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to make a Johnny Cash reference

Leenah searches her immediate surroundings to see if there is a mechanism of some sort associated with the burning ring of fire.

Esias calls out to Oldin. Receiving no reply, he becomes worried and rushes through the fire to the old sage [19 hp fire damage]. Seeing Esias' intent, Oldin yells out "Wait! Stop!" but Esias attempts to grab hold of him anyway. Oldin ducks out of the way [Esias' initial touch attack to start a grapple failed, maybe he hesitated when Oldin resisted, which would explain the terrible roll I made for him]

Ruadhnait waits to see if there is any sign that the wall will be coming down with the man's death.

Oldin uses his wand [healed 5 hp, then take 1 hp fire damage, net healing of 4 hp]

Jiam drinks his potion [healed 6 hp]

Aeless decends the stairs a bit.

Just as Leenah and Ruadhnait are about to give up in frustration and run through the scorching flames, the wall begins to flicker and then disappears!
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah will move to Esias and Oldin. Attempt to use the wand once on each of them move to the doors. Check the doors for traps and to see if they are locked. If the are trapped disable the traps, if they are locked unlock them but not open them.

Use Magic Device: +7
Search: +15 (Including Goggles)
Disable Device: +14 (Including Masterwork tools)
Open Lock: +16 (Including Masterwork tools)

Return to “Perearth: Archives”