Welcome to the Brave New World

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

mechwarrior26
Horseman
Horseman

Post by mechwarrior26 »

Move to 2523, hearing Shareev, and kneel down into a good position, aiming the weapon. Look to see the two running towards the boy (spot +7 naturally, +2 Eagle Eye). Raise the rifle and fire a single shot between there the 'hulk' is and the boy is standing (A warning shot, not aimed at anyone particular. Just making noise to scare people.)
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Aeless and Jiam are apparently at a loss as far as what to do under these strange circumstances.

Thanis creeps forward, then kneels. He holds some sort of stick or staff in his arms, which he points between Amon and the what-is-it, bracing it against his shoulder. Suddenly there is a very loud bang from the stick, although nothing obvious happens.

Esias readies his bow, aiming at the what-is-it.

Vulan runs toward Amon and tries to grab him. Amon, frightened at the approach of the large unfamiliar Tharbrian, tries to duck out of the way, but Vulan is too quick for him and picks him up.

Leenah runs forward, placing herself between the what-is-it and Amon and Vulan.

Oldin calls out, "Amon, my boy, be careful of the machine and run over to me!"

Brand stands up and moves forward.

The what-is-it rolls forward until Leenah is in range of its arms. One of the arms, one with what can only be described as a jawed scoop on the end, swings down at Leenah, striking her quite forcefully [14 hp], grabbing hold of her, and picking her up in the air a little. [Leenah is grappled by the scoop arm]

Esias, seeing the hostile action toward Leenah, shoots his bow and easily hits the what-is-it. Although it has no obvious mouth, the what-is-it begins calling out, "Aylerth, Aylerth! Meeshon eentherbirince! Tibence moot ayhtheevaythet!"

Ruadhnait moves forward, staring at the what-is-it.

Amon, hearing Oldin, struggles in Vulan's grasp, quite unable to get free.

Shareev moves forward, shouting something to his companion. [You can all see Shareev now, so hopefully klaxkor will describe him, as he's quite a sight :)]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Attempt to wiggle free of the scoop and if possible tumble out of the way.
Speak to Amon in High Viridian. (I'll pm it.)

Escape Artist: +9
Tumble: +10
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias moves from 1318 to 1320 and looses another arrow at the what-is-it that grabbed Leenah.

+7 to hit (including Point Blank Shot), damage will be 1d6+4(+2d6 if the thing is subject to critical hits, which I rather doubt); AC is 18. As the target's holding Leenah away from its body, I don't see the need to take the -4 penalty for shooting into melee wuthout hitting an ally.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by TheGreenLabrador »

Vulan, tired of the boy struggling in his grasp, moves the boy to his chest and holds his arms and legs down with his arms as best he can. Then he attempts another move.

I am assuming I have entered a grapple with the boy. Grapple check to pin, if successful grapple check to move half-speed with him towards Oldin. +4 to the grapple check to move him if the pin is successful.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin calls out again, "Amon, don't resist! He is a friend, trying to bring you to safety!"
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
mechwarrior26
Horseman
Horseman

Post by mechwarrior26 »

((Lets see if I got this Translation down...))

Thanis looks to Shreev at the new prediciment," Wgayth sgoult wee too? Thayh day treasure taun, or thayh dem auth?” He looks back to the arm that is holding the woman and aims the reeble at it, taking a full round action to aim at the hand holding her, aiming to try and sunder it with his shot.

(Full round action to aim at the hand holding Leenah. Gives me a +7 to hit next round with a sundering shot if she doesn't wiggle free, if that is possible.)
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

As you see Shareev come out of the shadows of the hallway, he is a fairly normal sized human, however his bulging head and pale skin are unmistakable. The goggles on top of his bald head almost seem too squeeze his brain. A cigarette dangles from his mouth for a second, before he flips it in and swallows it. He is wearing fairly worn out overalls and has a neatly oiled chain shirt underneath.

"I tunth dinh day untersthaynt. Day futh eeth een tebense mood. Day weell nid or gelf!"

He pulls his goggles down over his eyes and moves up to 2028. "Thau worh"
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Rúadhnait is obviously becoming very confused by the sudden turn of events (and that is never a good thing). Her grip tightens on her spear until her knuckles turn bone white. Those nearest to her can hear her teeth grinding and it seems as though she may fly into a rage again at any moment, but for the time being, she manages to restrain herself.
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand double moves to 1523, readying his longsword and shield. Brand keeps a watchful eye on Thanis and Shareev, not sure what to make of them, but more concerned with the what-is-it.

Shield Block +1 on the what-is-it.
Image R.I.P. Brand
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless aims at the arm holding Leenah and fires his arrows.

OOC: Sorry for no response last time, computer crash due power supply and board fried. :(
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Aeless fires two quick arrows at the what-is-it's arm. One hits, denting the metal a bit.

Thanis, crouching, takes careful aim with his funny stick.

Esias moves forward and launches an arrow at the what-is-it, denting its body a bit.

Amon, having heard Oldin's reassurance, ceases resisting Vulan, allowing the man to carry him all the way to Oldin's side.

Jiam continues to do nothing.

Leenah struggles to wriggle free, to no avail.

Oldin looks pleased that Amon is now in a place of relative safety.

Brand strides boldly forward into the reach of the what-is-it.

The construct calls out "Nau dreagth een reenk. Nauthrayleezeenk." It redirects two of its arms at Brand. The first arm has what looks like a large metal hand on it and pokes Brand painfully. The second arm is a pincer-like claw, which grasps Brand about the arms and waist, hurting him and grappling him. It then squeezes tightly [Brand is pinned and has taken a total of 24 hp] The pincer arm then lifts Brand in the air, carrying him toward the what-is-it's body. A hatch atop the body opens up and the arm drops Brand in. Brand finds himself in a small compartment, filled with threatening looking gears and acidic oils. The gears begin spinning. [Brand is in deep, deep trouble. He can try to bust his way out of the hatch and the rest of you can also target the hatch, as it's clearly visible. I strongly recommend this if you ever wish to see Brand again]

Ruadhnait struggles to contain herself.

Amon steps away from Vulan (I'm assuming you let him go now that he's safe) and stands in front of Oldin. "Uncle Oldin! What are you doing here? And where is here?" He shuts his eyes and shivers a bit, leaning against the old man.

Suddenly, a rock falls from the ceiling, thudding against the hatch to the compartment that holds Brand.

The big-headed newcomer moves towards the what-is-it, saying something to his companion while pulling his goggles down over his eyes and eating something that, moments before, had emitted a faint smoke like a halfling's pipe.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin whispers to Amon, "Everything will be all right." He then shouts to Jiam, "Jiam, my boy, there is nothing to think about. The sphere did its job. Now is the time to act!" Then shouts to everyone, "All aim for the central hatch of the thing! If it can be disabled, we will force it to let Leenah go!"

With Oldin's other hand, he searches his pack until he finds the one he wants.

whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Having a little trouble visualizing. What would it take for Rúadhnait to somehow get to the top of the thing, where she could attack the hatch directly? I'm envisioning something that she could climb, like scramble up a leg, or some such.
John Grigsby
mechwarrior26
Horseman
Horseman

Post by mechwarrior26 »

Thanis watches as the construct picks up the man and dropped him into the hatch. He lets out a long steady string of swear words that only Shreev would understand. He turns the rifle to aim at the hatch, focusing his eye through the 'scuf' again as he pulls the 'drikker'.

(its easily withing range of Thanis soooo...... +9 to hit with 2d10 damage aimed at the hatch to try and help the poor soul inside.)
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

OOC: Well that didn't go very well. :)

Brand says to himself, "I'll not die in the belly of some machine in some damn infernal dimension." He swings his long sword with all his might (power attack) at the hatch. [Atk +3, Dmg 1d8+8]

Shield Block +1 on the what-is-it.
Last edited by Galaphile on Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image R.I.P. Brand
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias moves to 1621 and shoots another arrow at the what-is-it.

Again, +7 to hit (including Point Blank Shot), damage will be 1d6+4(+2d6 if the thing is subject to critical hits, which I still doubt); AC is 18.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless moves up (1314) and again aims at the same arm with his bow, unleashing more arrows, while casually glancing as there are now individuals near the battle.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev carefullt moves up to 1728, and attempts to see if there is any way to turn it off.

Disable Device +15
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Try to free myself again and if it works tumble out of the way.

Escape Artist: +9
Strength: +1
Tumble: +10

OOC: I will be out of town until Saturday. I should be able to check in before Friday's validation but just wanted to send the heads up just in case.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Aeless moves forward and fires two more arrows at the arm holding Leenah. Both arrows hit and a loud horn-like sound starts coming from the what-is-it. The bright lights on top turn red, but the machine continues waving its arms around.

Thanis changes his aim and another loud bang comes from the stick he's holding. Brand hears a lound ping from the opposite side of the hatch.

Esias continues moving and firing. His arrow hits the what-is-it with a clang, denting it badly.

Vulan and Jiam do nothing.

Leenah continues to struggle, to no avail.

Oldin tries to reassure Amon and direct Jiam to act, while retrieving a scroll from his pack.

Brand pounds on the hatch from the inside. The hatch looks about to give way, but Brand remains trapped inside. Then the gears around Brand start grinding against him, causing him unbearable pain [24 hp damage]

The what-is-it is no longer "speaking," just letting out that loud horn-like sound. It rolls forward until it's arms are in range of Esias. The arm that had previously been burning the floor launches its fire at Esias, but he ducks out of the way [lucky fellow, Esias]

Ruadhnait rushes forward, heading directly for the hatch. As she ducks underneath the what-is-it's arms, the one that looks vaugely like a human hand pokes her hard [14 hp]. Reaching the what-is-it, she finds a convenient ladder extending up to the top, which she climbs to put her longspear in reach of the hatch. As fast as Ruadhnait is, she is able to reach the what-is-it, climb the ladder, and smack the hatch all in one round! The hatch springs open and the gears around Brand stop grinding!

The what-is-it is now moving its arms quite erraticly, but still seems "alive." Another rock falls from the ceiling, but this time misses the construct and lands harmlessly on the floor.

Shareev creeps forward and examines the what-is-it, but finds no switches or other way of disabling it. He does note several other ladders extending to the top and, from his experience, he can tell the construct is now quite badly damaged.

[Ruadhnait and Thanis have saved Brand's life, good show! Now let's see if you can finish the what-is-it off before it does any more damage. By the way, CarnageCBJ was in the hospital, but feeling better now, so you'll be hearing from Jiam again.]
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"Kaut wurh, Thanis. Leths three nuth thau testhruy eeth"

Up the closest ladder to the top, looking for knobs and buttons.

Knowledge checks along the way.
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by TheGreenLabrador »

Sure that Amon is fine, Vulan moves to his sword, and picks it up, finishing whatever move he had left to move toward the machine.
mechwarrior26
Horseman
Horseman

Post by mechwarrior26 »

"Eeb wi thayh eeth ton, den wi cayn thayh eeth payh thau de thon aynt sell ith…."

Thais re-aims the reeble towards the main body of the construct and squeezes the drikker again, popping off another shot at the construct.

(Once again +9 with 2d10 damage)
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"Meekgth pi word mor een won fes"
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin calls out to Thanis and Shareev, "Thankh yheh, baht ayh cuhn naht ahndayrstaynd yheh." (Free action)

Oldin then reads the scroll (takes the entire round).

Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand sighs with relief, then quickly climbs out of the hatch, nods his thanks to Ruadhnait.

Not sure, if he has any movement left, but if he can attacks the machine again, aiming for the main body. [Atk +3, Dmg 1d8+8]
Image R.I.P. Brand
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Rúadhnait smiles back at Brand, then takes a look inside the hatch. Specifically, she is looking for any outcropping pieces that look as though she could get a grip and pull them free, or any signs of a way into the belly of the beast.
John Grigsby
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

mechwarrior26 wrote:Thais re-aims the reeble towards the main body of the construct and squeezes the drikker again, popping off another shot at the construct.
When did an ancient Hellenic courtesan show up? [obscure historical reference :mrgreen: ]

Esias moves to 1623, drawing his shortsword (as part of his move action) and looking for a crack or loose joint into which to stab.

+6 to hit, damage will be 1d6+2(+2d6 if the thing is subject to critical hits, which it may be); AC is 18.
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Tries yet again to struggle free, searching for a way to free herself as she does so.

Return to “Perearth: Archives”