Nauthun

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Sam Tinker says, "Wel, Shareev, seens yau ayr bilink kenerays, eeths ee til!" He proceeds to the glass box full of liquid and removes a handful of the tiny fish. He walks around the room, handing one of the fish to each person, including Thanis and Shareev.

He then walks back to the counter at the center of the room and manipulates the box he played with to make the map on the wall. After a few moments, three items come out of the top of the box: two small black objects the size of playing cards and a large, colorful piece of parchment. He hands the two smaller objects to Thanis and Shareev without a word and the parchment to Leenah.

He says to Leenah, "No charge for the map, ma'am, since it costs me nothing to make you a copy." The parchment is, as you might expect, a copy of the map that still appears on the wall.

After Oldin receives his fish, you notice him quietly chanting a spell …

[Ok, you are in no way required to stick a fish in your ear. However, to ease the burden of all the translation, the two Nauthanese-speaking PCs and I will indicate when we are not speaking in Common and I ask only that you role-play not understanding if you haven't used your fish. Everyone ok with that?]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

After a moment's consideration, Esias dutifully, if gingerly, inserts the little fish into one ear. (It probably tickles. :D )
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin looks to Sam Tinker, Thanis, and Shareev, maintaining concentration. I assume that the results will be the same.

Oldin requests a moment to confer with the rest of his group in private. Assuming that he is granted that, the following is to the group. If not, he will state it in front of everyone.

"I must admit that I was slightly incredulous at first, but now I am certain of deception. I attempted to detect the magic of these fish, but they have no magical auras. Now, to someone who is not versed in magic, as I am, I can understand that not being terribly telling. But to me, it indicates one of two things. One, we have been given fish to stick in our ears to be made fools of, and these fish do nothing at all, or two, an illusion has been used to mask the magic from detection. The only reason for that would be an attempt to conceal something potentially dangerous. I am not saying that Thanis, Shareev, or even Mr. Tinker have any knowledge of this. None of them seem to possess an aura of magic, so I would suspect that Mr. Tinker is merely a brilliant linguist, yet somehow tricked into believing these fish are in some way useful.

"This leads me to question some more issues. A good deal of this might relate to the Prelate in some way. Perhaps he has used magic to travel between time and has used his magic to subjugate the people here. We put these fish in our ears and become willing slaves of that madman. Esias, are you capable of removing that fish from your ear? If so, that would set my mind at least somewhat at ease. Additionally, I suggest that we test out these 'fish' to see what sorts of properties they actually possess. Since Esias has already placed a fish in his ear, I suggest we attempt to speak to him in languages he does not know and see if he is capable of understanding and then responding to us as Mr. Tinker suggested he would."

[High Viridian]"Esias, are you feeling any strange effects since inserting the fish? Do you feel fully in control of your faculties? How about the Prelate? Do you feel any bond or connection to him?[/High Viridian]

[Celestial]"Do you understand what I am saying?"[/Celestial]
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah takes the parchment quickly comparing it to the one on the wall. When Oldin calls the group together she moves to join the group. After Oldin speaks to Esias in the two languages she says as she hands him the map, [Gnomish] "I think you can understand this map better than I." [/Gnomish]

If Esias seems to understand both Oldin and herself then she will follow suit and place the fish in her ear. If he does not then she will not.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev places the fish in his ear. He has no problem with Oldin requesting some time to confer with his friends.

He turns to Thanis and says, "What do you think the problem is?"
OUT OF CHARACTER
Of course this would be in his native tongue (since he hasn't heard you speak while he had the fish), so the only one other then Tinker and Thanis that would understand would be Esias, who stuck the fish in his ear.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

OUT OF CHARACTER
And Oldin who understands the language without the fish :). Yay taking the time to translate.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias blinks several times. "I ken your words, learned sir, " he informs Oldin, "and aside from feelin' a mite silly wi' a fish wigglin' in m' ear, I am no different than before. Th' only connection I wish for that damned Prelate is a brace o' m' arrows in his heart!"

He then repeats his observations concerning the map (see entry on previous page).
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand eyes the fish warily, but since Esias doesn't seem to be any worse for wear, dutifuly sticks it in his ear.
Image R.I.P. Brand
mechwarrior26
Horseman
Horseman

Post by mechwarrior26 »

Thanis cocks his head to the side for a moment and drops the fish into his right ear. He closes his eyes and grimaces while the little bugger wiggles in and sets itself. A cold shiver runs down his spine and his body seems to shake a little before he shakes his head and looks to Shareev and speaks in a hushed tone...

(newspeak) " I have no clue. These people have to look over everything, have a huddle conference, and then triple check their answers before they make a fricken decision on anything."

He shakes his head once more as he looks back over the group...

((I've dubbed the 'native' language that Shareev and Thanis speak "Newspeak" just for ease of operations. Only the people with fish in their ears would be able to understand him, and only if they can hear him...)
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

After listening to Oldin and the others, Amon follows suit and puts the fish in his ear.

"Maybe they don't use magic - here, now - the way they did back home. When did you grow so paranoid? It seems everything is wrong with everything and it's all a trick of the Prelate. Don't get me wrong - I'm not his fan or anything - I mean demon or no demon he kidnapped me and held me against my will till you all got there. But I'm fine now, and I'm thinking clearer than ever, and so what if these fish aren't magic? If he cast his last spell to heal me and then travelled here with us - how could he have possibly been responsible for non magical fish that can swim in our ears and translate all languages? How could anyone short of god create such a thing?"

Amon looks at the rest of you: "Thanks for saving me, by the way. I might have forgotten to mention that. I mean you all came together just to get me out of that jam. I owe you all.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

The half-elf is still looking a bit cautious from the fish states in celestial, "I still hear you, Oldin" and reverts to common, "Since they have a map for us, we can evaluate a bit better and compare it with our map."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Sunbolt wrote:"... When did you grow so paranoid? ..."
"I've always been paranoid. That is why your father trusts me. I am rarely fooled. I sometimes see problems where none exist, but I usually catch all the problems that do."

Oldin takes one final reluctant look at the squirming fish and inserts it into his ear. He adds, "If it is some kind of mind control, I guess I'll be right there with the rest of you."

Oldin heads back over to Mr. Tinker, Shareev, and Thanis. He looks to Shareev, "Thank you very much for your generosity. Please, let us know how much of your treasure they cost. I always repay my debts. If you have need of some other assistance, please let me know."

Next, he turns to Sam Tinker and says, "Mr. Tinker, these truly are amazing creatures. You say they are created without magic at all? That is most remarkable!

"I did have some questions about the area. You mentioned that this area has very limited ideas of religion. Please explain the nature of this religion. Also, what sorts of laws exist here? I would hate to do something only to find out that it is taboo here. If you have any legal books that you can copy as you did the map, I would be most appreciative. Also, do you possess any extraplanar spaces for sale? I am an old man, and don't relish carrying any more books than I need." Oldin gestures with the thick red leather tome he always carries.

After Mr. Tinker's response, Oldin says, "Thank you, Mr. Tinker. Does anyone need anything else? If not, let's head to this Sanctuary."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin suddenly remembers something else to ask. "Mr. Tinker. I have one more question. How long is it until the next full moon? When we 'fell asleep', it was about twelve or thirteen days until the full moon, but I suppose that is rather moot now. And do know where we can obtain some belladonna? It will be useless on us, but in case there is a problem, I feel we should be prepared."

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Although the questions asked of him were in Common, Sam Tinker responds in Newspeak (which I gladly accept as a superior term for the language than Nauthunese, given the referential nature of so many elements of this campaign. Thanks, mechwarrior). Those of you with fish in your ears are easily able to understand him now.
CGM3 wrote:"Goodman Tinker, know you aught o' a range o' mountains called th' Smokes, t' th' southwest o' this Great Rift o' yours?"
To Esias, he says: "Sorry, I forgot to answer your question earlier. I've been racking my brain, but don't recall any mention of the Smoke Mountains. Might you mean the Zayrayh Mountains? I'm told they are to the south and a bit west, although I do not know their place in relation to the Rift. Lands beyond what I have on my map are largely unknown to folk here, at least folk who have ever returned here. I know a few names from Ancient records, but the Smokes are not among them."
shai-hulud wrote: "Mr. Tinker, these truly are amazing creatures. You say they are created without magic at all? That is most remarkable!

"I did have some questions about the area. You mentioned that this area has very limited ideas of religion. Please explain the nature of this religion. Also, what sorts of laws exist here? I would hate to do something only to find out that it is taboo here. If you have any legal books that you can copy as you did the map, I would be most appreciative. Also, do you possess any extraplanar spaces for sale? I am an old man, and don't relish carrying any more books than I need."
To Oldin, he says: "I'm not much of a religious man … or a believer in magic. If you want to discuss metaphysics, the Faurs-theens at Sanctuary are your best bet. They'll talk your ear off about it, I’m sure."

"As for laws, we're pretty simple here in Nauthun. No great works of law like the Ancients had. We've got a magistrate for settling disputes between neighbors and a sherrif for keeping the peace. The only stern rule is that if you want to own a home or business in town, you've got to contribute to the upkeep of the factory. Gotta keep the Dudes happy, you know. As long as you don't assault anyone," he glances briefly at Ruadhnait, "or steal anyone's property, you'll be fine."

"I don't know what you mean about extraplanar spaces. If it's a treasure of the Ancients, it's not one I've been able to collect and sell yet. If it's a carrying device you're after, I have a rupoocase that someone brought in recently. Similar to what Shareev has there, but much smaller." He gestures to the box on wheels that has been following Shareev all this time. "Might be good for carrying your religious book."
shai-hulud wrote:Oldin suddenly remembers something else to ask. "Mr. Tinker. I have one more question. How long is it until the next full moon? When we 'fell asleep', it was about twelve or thirteen days until the full moon, but I suppose that is rather moot now. And do know where we can obtain some belladonna? It will be useless on us, but in case there is a problem, I feel we should be prepared."

"I'd guess it's about that long to the next full moon, but I don't really pay attention to such things. Belladonna? That's an herb, right? You might ask Alice, she grows herbs for her cooking, I think. But I don't know if anyone cooks with belladonna ..."

He finishes with a yawn, "Anyway, it's getting rather late and I'd like to close up shop. Come back in the morning if you'd like to talk about trading some more." With that, he ushers all of you out of his shop.

[validation continues in new thread]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod

Return to “Perearth: Archives”