Nauthun

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Nauthun

Post by patransom »

You follow Thanis and Shareev south, soon leaving the arid hills for flat terrain that can only be described as bleak desert. For those of you with decent survival skill (or good memories), the timing of the transition is completely consistent with that from plains to hills on your trip north.

You camp one night in the desert, finding that it does not get as cold as one might expect at night for a typical desert.
Late afternoon on the second day, you approach a walled village where you remember no village from your travel north. The 15-foot high walls are an odd construction, seemingly made of pieces of metal of varying shapes, bound or stuck together in some unknown way. This construction is interrupted here and there by sections of what appears to be smooth stone.

Some distance to the east of the village, those of you with a good spot skill notice a glint of sunlight reflecting off some large domed structure.

At the gates of the village, which are open and appear to be made of metal wire, Thanis and Shareev nod to two men with longbows, who look at the rest of you appraisingly, but seem unconcerned that you are following the two into the village.

The buildings of the village are all low, single-story square or rectangular boxes made of metal of the same patchwork construction as the walls. Here and there are a few domed buildings, almost like rounded tents, made of some unknown non-reflective material. As you walk through the village, those of you with any ranks at all in listen notice a low hum throughout the area, with no clear source.

Thanis and Shareev lead you to a larger building near what appears to be the center of the village. This building appears to be made of stone, but with no visible blocks or seams. The big metal double doors slide open, seemingly of their own accord, as the two men approach.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
mechwarrior26
Horseman
Horseman

Post by mechwarrior26 »

As he enters the town, Thanis slings the rifle over his shoulder befoe nodding to the two men. He walks with the group towards the large building and as the two doors slide open he stops and lookes to Shareev," Wee tun’th yau theeh de treasure aynt si wgath yau cayn keth bor ith. Ee’ll thah dem aynt si wgath Tinker cayn tau bor dem."

He looked back to the small group and sighed as he motioned for them to follow him into the building," Come on… leth’s si wgath wi cayn keth bikuret auth…"

(I couldn't see a good way to translate 'Come on' to anything other then that.... Sorry..))
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin continues acting as translator, "Thanis says that Shareev can handle selling their treasure, and Thanis will lead us to Tinker to see what he can do for us."
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
mechwarrior26
Horseman
Horseman

Post by mechwarrior26 »

shai-hulud wrote:Oldin continues acting as translator, "Thanis says that Shareev can handle selling their treasure, and Thanis will lead us to Tinker to see what he can do for us."
Thanis chuckles again, 'Dis kee is ausbul thau gayv ayrount…"
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin smiles at Thanis, "Danh yau!"

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"Tinker weel pi intheresthet in de treasure. Fergayfs gi weel gelf dem in excheenge bor soom"
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

klakxor wrote:"Tinker weel pi intheresthet in de treasure. Fergayfs gi weel gelf dem in excheenge bor soom"
Oldin smiles, "Ee danh yau bor ayll yaur gelf. Gow hayn wi rifee yau pood?"

valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Am getting a bit anxious to see the world outside for this is getting stranger and stranger from what it seems." states the half-elf.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[Assuming that you follow Thanis and Shareev into the building, for the sake of moving things along]

Entering the front room of the stone building, you find that it is clear set up as a shop of some sort, full of shelves cluttered with various objects. Most of these objects you don’t recognize and cannot discern their purpose. There are, however, shelves with more mundane items that you do recognize. They are the types of things you would expect in an expedition outfitter’s shop: ropes, grappling hooks, backpacks, and the like.

A grey-haired, short and skinny man approaches to greet Thanis and Shareev. Although his weathered face shows signs of age, there is the glimmer of youth in his eyes. He addresses Shareev specifically.

“Payh soo saun? Musth gayv gont yaurselb ay nees gol ob treasure hweehli, den! Wgath gayv yau kayth boor mi?” Then, noticing the large number of people who seem to be entering the shop, he adds “Oo! Aynt wgau ayr yaur brents?”
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev gestures to Brand, "Dey wer in di wee ob di treasure. Dis wayn ways almoosth frosesset. Dey tau noth thaylh kaut."

He then gestures to Oldin, "EE dinh gid neem ees Oldin. Gi ayhths leeh gi ees een chayrk."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin bows, "Krithinks. Wi wayr thoolt pi Shareev dayth yau haylt gelf aus. Dis ees ..." Oldin introduces everyone as best he can, still not certain he has the grammar correct.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Suprisingly (or maybe not, given how close he is to figuring out the code), the man seems to have no trouble understanding Oldin. He turns to each party member in turn, repeating their names and saying, “Krithinks, EE aym Sam Tinker.” He then says to Oldin, “Soo leth mi kess, yau nit gelf pihays yau toonth sfih di laynkweek? EE mee gayv justh dee deenk, puth gayventh gayt ay chains dau three eeth oth rilli. Sfih ay peeth ayb yaur neetheev laynkweek boor mi.”
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin translates, "He wants us to speak for him in our native language. He must have a spell that will translate to his. Once he figures it out, perhaps he can brew a potion that will perform the translation for you. I don't confess to know enough about magic to know if that is possible, but let's give it a shot."

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[I'm moving the conversation ahead out of schedule just so more folks will have something to do before the next validation]

Sam Tinker becomes visibly excited upon hearing Oldin speak in the common tongue. "It works!" He shouts. "You can understand me, right? Your language isn't all that different from ours, but I can tell it's working!"

"I suppose you're wondering how I did that, eh? Well, it's a nifty bit of peeutheh I've aquired and have been breeding. Waiting for a time when they might be saleable. I've got a whole ayhweraym full of 'em, if you've got something to trade..."

He walk across the room to a shelf on which there is a glass box full of greenish watery liquid. He dips his hand in and pulls something out. Returning to Oldin, he holds out his hand to reveal what looks like a small, thin fish flopping about.

"Try it out! I call it a paypelfish. If you like it, I have many more and can make you a deal."

[I hope someone with the translation figured out gets the reference involved in the name paypelfish :)]
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin says, "What a load of dingoes kidneys! This is a simple comprehend languages spell! I could have cast that!" Oldin harumphs at a difficult puzzle being ruined by someone who cheats. "I do suppose it is a little better than I could do. I can only allow myself to understand your language. I suppose these magic fish allow everyone to."

Oldin looks at the fish. "So, what do you do? Stick it in your ear?" Oldin chuckles at the silliness of the idea of sticking a magic fish in your ear to understand languages.

Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah watches the interaction quietly, eyes moving over everything as assessing the value and trying to gain some insight as to where they are and what has happened to the world she knew.

OOC: Yes I got it even before reading shai-hulud's reply, which almost had me falling out of my seat.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

OOC: Ah, the "paypelfish", such an astoundingly unlikely and incredibly useful creation that it could only have come into existence through divine intervention, thereby proving the nonexistence of the gods. :mrgreen:

IC: Esias frowns as he runs his gaze over the wares displayed in the shop. "What price be he askin' for this magical fish?" the scout asks uncertainly. "Might as be we could earn 'em with some manner o' service or errand. Or will he want somethin' in trade?"
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin says, "Oh, I forgot to translate. I am terribly sorry. Shareev offered to use some of his treasure as trade for our magic fish. I thanked him for his generosity, and offered that perhaps we could do something in return."

whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

At the suggestion of sticking a fish in her ear, Rúadhnait looks skeptical. Fish were for eating. Her people had long held that those in the "civilized" regions were odd, but she never realized just how strange.

She is far more concerned with their new surroundings, however. The young woman's discomfort in the odd village is readily apparent, and she examines the buildings with an admixture of curiosity tinged with fear.
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Tinker answers Oldin, still speaking perfect common, "Yes, of course, you let it wriggle it's way into your ear, although I suppose the nose might work as well. Won't hurt a bit or do you any harm. I've had one in my head for months now, waiting to try it out on some non-native speakers."

"As for a trade, it depends on what you what you have to offer. I'll make you a good deal, though, as I honestly haven't had much call for the paypelfish yet. If you haven't any worthwhile treasure yourselves, and my friend Shareev is willing, maybe some of what he's brought back could cover it, though I haven't seen it yet."
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

What magic fish?
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"I hate to interrupt but how can we understand this language and what kind of language is it?" as Aeless asks Oldin.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Sam Tinker laughs at the mention of the word magic from Oldin, Esias, and Amon, "You folk really must be from some isolated settlement! It's not "magic," it's a simple bit of peeutheh, really ... a treasure of the ancients. I'm not the best with that form of treasure, but I've managed to breed a bunch of them from the single specimen I was brought here. If you are more comfortable calling it "magic," though, that's fine with me."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin harumphs, "More comfortable?!? I am more comfortable wielding the magics of Seker. He has blessed me with his power. Have you no priests of Seker in this town? If not, then I will bring Seker's light and heal your wounded. Just give me an hour of prayer to Seker, and I will be ready."

Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

patransom wrote:Sam Tinker laughs at the mention of the word magic from Oldin, Esias, and Amon, "You folk really must be from some isolated settlement! It's not "magic," it's a simple bit of peeutheh, really ... a treasure of the ancients. I'm not the best with that form of treasure, but I've managed to breed a bunch of them from the single specimen I was brought here. If you are more comfortable calling it "magic," though, that's fine with me."
What does the peeutheh do? And how do you breed these fish from only one fish? Doesn't it take two fish to make more?
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

As the others chat, Rúadhnait breathes deeply, tasting a bitter flavor in the air. "This place smells wrong," she says, to no one in particular.
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah stays quietly in the background watching and listening. Her eyes moving over everyone and everything. Trying to determine where they actually are. A thought occurs to her and she steps forward and whispers to Oldin in high viridian.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand, wanders around the store, looking at the strange objects on the shelves. He only half listens to the conversation between Oldin and the shop keeper.
Image R.I.P. Brand
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin nods as Leenah whispers to him. "Mr. Tinker, my companions and I were wondering if perhaps you could help us figure out where we are. We were rescuing Amon here from a crazed religious fanatic worshipping Natch-Ur who believed that a demon resided in the boy's blood and thought the prudent thing to do was drain him.

"The temple of the Gnosophim gathered information on the man and could tell that he was very powerful. Luckily, Jiam," Oldin points to the monk, "is from a temple devoted to Mycr, and the priests there were able to give us an orb that when shattered would sever the man's connection to his power. We asked the Gnosophim to investigate any properties of the orb that we could use to better understand its workings, but they were unable to give us any additional information. When we arrived, we witnessed the man, Phatel Rablim, performing his ritual bloodletting. Jiam's orb headed toward his power center, but was shattered by a defense that the man had conjured.

"We awoke later, although I am unsure how much time passed--I am starting to wonder if we were not in some sort of stasis field until that machine broke it, which would lead me to believe that a very long time might have passed, indeed--Anyway, I digress. We would like some assistance figuring out not only where we are, but how much time has passed since we began our trek.

"Do you know this boy's father, Shah Lyeah? Are we still in the nation of Tharbria? How far are we from the Viridian Empire? Have you heard of an amazing halfling chef named Tildon? And do you know where I might hire the services of an experienced chef here? I haven't eaten in two days, and I am starving!"

valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless has relaxed his posture and placed his arrows and bow away. He listens and trying to understand the new language they were subjected too.

Return to “Perearth: Archives”