A fistfight turns lethal

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

A fistfight turns lethal

Post by patransom »

After the Dude (d2), pokes him in the back of the head, Aeless rises from his seat and says, "I don't know what a Newskin is, but I don't take kindly to being assaulted. If you want trouble, you'll get it."

The Dude's buddy (d1, named Vic) ignores Leenah's response and turns to leer at Aeless and says, "Hey Zol, I think the Newskin wants to stand up for itself. How cute!"

As Jiam and Oldin discuss the potential for violence, Ruadhnait responds to Oldin's suggestion by pretending to walk to the bar. Dropping the glass mug, her punch takes Zol (d2) completely by surprise. She doesn't quite hit his chin, but instead makes contact with his sternum, where, to her suprise, her fist bounces off the heavy padding of his suit.

This sets off a chain of violence: [Ruadhnait's action was a surprise round, so she'll go again later in the round. Unfortunately, the Dudes all rolled really well on their initiative and, while they would have been perfectly happy just watching Zol duke it out one-on-one with Ruadhnait, as you'll see below, they'll each be jumping in as soon as provoked]

Vic (d1) laughs at his buddy, "Ha, that big girl got you good Zol!" One of the other Dudes at the bar likewise laughs, "Ha, ha, the Newskin's got a girlfriend." [Not an action for either of them yet, just a little flavor]

Zol (d2), although seemingly uninjured by Ruadhnait's punch, is now visibly angry. He swings back at Ruadhnait with his fist, but misses completely.

Brand watches in surprise the actions of his comrades, then stands up and steps forward. He mutters to himself, "A tavern brawl, my teacher would not approve". He focuses his attention on the 3 men still at the bar, waiting to see what they will do. [see note at end of post]

Leenah takes this opportunity to slash Vic (d1) in the gut. Her blade cuts straight through his padded suit and draws blood.

Vic, mouth agape, shouts, "What? You cut me?" He pulls out his own knife and stabs back at Leenah, cutting her arm as she draws it back from her sneak attack [5 hp]

The three Dudes at the bar stop smiling, having seen the knives come out, but don't do anything just yet.

Aeless shouts, "You'll see I can defend myself quite well" and swings his fist at Zol, missing.

It is at this point that Thanis reveals his odd weapon, doing so in a dramatic fashion, kicking it up and snatching it out of midair. Pointing the thing at the men at the bar, he moves toward them. This finally provokes a response from two of the other Dudes (d3 and d5). One of them yells, "Hey, that one's got an illegal weapon!" They reach for their small staves and begin to ... there is a loud bang from Thanis' weapon and a small amount of blood spurts from d5's shoulder.

d3 and d5 now complete what they had planned, weapons held in both hands at hip height they move to the right of the bar. Multiple loud bangs come from each of their weapons and Thanis grunts with pain and starts bleeding. [Fortunately only one of them hit you with his burst, 11 hp]

With the flurry of action going on, Shareev looks down and says to Amon in a quiet voice, "Hide under the table behind us." He then pulls his shotgun off of his back and looks over at Thanis,"You know this is a real bad idea, don't you." He then moves around Oldin.

Vulan wheels about - looks up at the man who spoke and says, "Don't much care for your tone, little'bit." Vulan draws his greatsword and slashes at Zol (d2). He draws a considerable amount of blood.

Jiam drinks both mugs of ale at the same time, pouring them down his throat quicker than you've seen anyone drink before, even him. He then stumbles as he stands up, knocking over his chair. He slurs, "Yuv shtarted a bar brawl wi' zuh wrong guy!" He runs and jumps up on a neighboring table, seeming to nearly fall over as he lands, but ending up in a position behind Vic (d1).

Suddenly, the pitcher of water flys off your table and across the room, narrowly missing d5's head, and shattering against the back wall of the bar.

Amon, as Shareev warned him to do, ducks beneath the table.

d4, who was apparently a bit drunker than his friends, finally acts. He moves toward Thanis and there is another series of loud bangs. Blood erupts from Thanis' chest and he falls the floor in a heap. [A crit for 24 hp, putting you at -3]

"A riot is an ugly thing... and it's high time we had one!" says Esias as he attacks Zol (d2). Esias' shortsword just nicks Zol, but still penetrates the padding of his strange outfit.

Alice and the patrons at that end of the bar duck for cover. The patrons behind you run for the exit.

[Okay, Ruadhnait has her in round full action left. Brand, who said he was waiting to see what everyone did has a single action left. You two can post these additional actions and they'll take place at the start of next round.

Vulan and Esias, I did not resolve your attacks. If you feel like, in character, your character would have used a lethal weapon, rather than fists, given what happened before you went in the initiative order, just post that along with your actions for next round and I'll edit the post above.]
Last edited by patransom on Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

"A riot is an ugly thing... and it's high time we had one!"
That was OOC (Out of Character). Jeez, hasn't anybody else here ever seen Young Frankenstein?

IC: Anyway, since drawing a weapon is a move-equivalent action without Quick Draw, and Esias already used his move action to stand up, he'll have to take a poke at Dude #2 with his fist this round.

Next round, he'll (probably) draw his short sword and "Give 'im the Ginsu!"
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah tumbles to 908 via 909 coming up with sword drawn if she can and attacks Vic again with both weapons if she can, or just the dagger if she can't get the sword drawn. "Yes I do, I don't take kindly to being accosted..."

Tumble: +10
Attack (sword): +8 (includes +2 for flanking)
Damage (sword): 1d6+2 (+3d6 for sneak attack since he would be flanked)
Attack (dagger): +8 or if only one attack +10 (includes +2 for flanking)
Damage (dagger): 1d4+1 (plus sneak attack if she only gets the one attack)
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Seeing the violence ensue, Oldin's mouth drops. As soon as he sees Thanis's blood, he rushes over to 1312 and calls for the power of Seker, "Seker, may your flame bind these wounds!" [OOC-Cure Serious Wounds]. Golden flame erupts from Thanis's wounds.

Edit: Oops, missed the crit hit there. Changing that to a Cure Serious Wounds.
Last edited by shai-hulud on Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"Damn, I knew this was a bad idea. Hold on Thanis, I'll be right there."

Move over to Thanis, believe I can double move to make it to him.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:IC: Anyway, since drawing a weapon is a move-equivalent action without Quick Draw, and Esias already used his move action to stand up, he'll have to take a poke at Dude #2 with his fist this round.
Actually, you can move and ready a weapon as one move action, as long as your BAB is +1 or more.
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

Given that they're shooting our people over a knick! Vulan will have drawn his Carbellium Greatsword - and slashed the man's throat!

IF he killed the fool - he moves towards whichever one shot at Thanis, otherwise, he'll continue with the same moron who started this.
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

CGM3 wrote:
"A riot is an ugly thing... and it's high time we had one!"
That was OOC (Out of Character). Jeez, hasn't anybody else here ever seen Young Frankenstein?
OOC perhaps, but it was oh so appropriate!
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Rúadhnait is caught off-guard for a half-second. Suddenly, blood was being drawn! She hadn't intended for this to become lethal, but since she now had no option, she could do little but continue the pattern.

Rúadhnait draws her sword, slashing at d2. If he is dropped before she has the chance, she'll move to engage d1, instead.
John Grigsby
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

patransom wrote:
CGM3 wrote:IC: Anyway, since drawing a weapon is a move-equivalent action without Quick Draw, and Esias already used his move action to stand up, he'll have to take a poke at Dude #2 with his fist this round.
Actually, you can move and ready a weapon as one move action, as long as your BAB is +1 or more.
Ah, I'd forgotten that. In that case, Esias will "Give 'im the Ginsu!" with a stab from the old short sword at Dude #2.

OOC: +6 to hit, damage is 1d6+2, AC is 16 (12 touch, 16 flat-footed [gotta love uncanny dodge])

Sidebar: I considered going for the disarm, but with a light weapon I'd be at -4 to hit, and without Improved Disarm he'd get an Attack of Opportunity first, so we'll try whittling him down.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OOC: Updated post above with Vulan and Esias using lethal force in response to what happened before they acted. No changes to outcomes, just a little more damage done to the original troublemaker, Zol.
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

Vulan takes his sword to the man's throat - "Surrender and call off your friends with their popper twigs and we'll let you live, continue and die!"

If Zol and his friends give over - he keeps his blade at the man's throat - if not, he goes for the kill.
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Finish Turn 1:
Seeing the action turn lethal, Brand draws his sword.

Turn 2:
If Vulan's threat takes place before Brand's turn, he'll wait for their response, otherwise, he'll attack D1.

Longsword (Atk: +8 Dmg: 1d8+3)
Image R.I.P. Brand
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

From last round: Ruadhnait draws her sword, slashing at Zol (d2). She barely hits him, but draws blood.

Seeing the action turn lethal, Brand draws his sword.

Now this round: Zol (d1) whips out his billy club and turns his attention to Vulan, who it seems hurt him the worst. He misses.

Leenah successfully tumbles past both men, preventing them from attempting to hit her as she moves, and gracefully readying her sword as she goes. She slashes Vic badly across the back with her sword, but fails to make contact with the dagger.

Vic spins around, glaring at Leenah, and slashes wildly and unsucessfuly at her with his knife.

Brand takes this opportunity to cut Vic with his sword. Vic screams.

Aeless pulls out his ridiculously huge greatsword, but fails to hit Zol.

Thanis bleeds [now at -4]

Dude #3, who seems to be the leader, turns his attention to the melee, swinging his weapon in your direction, and shouts [Newspeak, so Ruadhnait doesn't understand], "Alright, that's enough! Put down them freakin' swords or we'll kuhn you down where you stand!" [DM Note: it's obvious he has a ready action awaiting the beginning of next round]

Dude #5 runs over to Thanis' bleeding body and kicks Thanis' weapon out of his reach. [It's that funny-looking thing at 1308]

Shareev yells, "Damn, I knew this was a bad idea. Hold on Thanis, I'll be right there." He runs over to Thanis. [It's only a single move to reach him, so you can take another action … I imagine to pull out whatever healing item you were thinking of]

Vulan attempts to grab Zol to put a sword to his throat. Zol attempts to prevent this by knocking Vulan's arm aside with his club, but fails. Nevertheless, Vulan is unable to get ahold of the man. [Sorry, Sunny, it would have been interesting to see how that standoff would play out.]

Jiam staggers and sways atop the table, attempting to smack Vic with both of his beer mugs. He hits with one of them, smashing Vic on the head, and Vic falls down in a heap, showing no signs of life. [Risky flurry leads to a crit and Jiam proves his statement about facing him in a bar fight]

Amon continues hiding under the table.

Oldin rushes over to 1312 and calls for the power of Seker, "Seker, may your flame bind these wounds!" Golden flame erupts from Thanis's wounds and Thanis is healed! [healed 19, putting you back at 15, conscious, but still prone and unarmed]

Dude #4, like his boss turns his weapon toward the brawl, glaring at the swords. [Ready action]

Ruadhnait misses Zol with her sword this round.

Esias, however, does not miss at all. Zol goes down in a bloody heap. [crit … unlike Vic, though, Zol is rolling aroung gurgling a bit]

The remaining patrons run out the door.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

If Dude #5 is holding any recognizable melee weapon, or any unknown object that might be a "kuhn", Esias will move to 1210 and stab him with his short sword.

(+6 to hit, 1d6+2 damage, AC 16)

If Dude #5 doesn't seem to be armed, Esias will move to 1307 and poke Dude #3 instead.

(+6 to hit, 1d6+2+2d6 damage, AC 17; hurrah for skirmishing!)
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:If Dude #5 is holding any recognizable melee weapon, or any unknown object that might be a "kuhn", Esias will move to 1210 and stab him with his short sword.
Yes, Dude #5 has one of the same "kuhns" that the others do. He shot Thanis with it last round, although it was #4 that brought him down.
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

To be honest- I wasn't attempting to grab the man - I just wanted to put my sword tip to this throat... but now that he's dead....

Vulan turns and puts his sword tip at D2's throat and makes his threat again. Since D2 is inbetween D3 and Vulan, it'll be very interesting to see if he tries to fire at us through his buddy.

"Drop those twigs, and we'll revive your rather rude friend. Don't and he's dead while you fight us!"
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

patransom wrote:
CGM3 wrote:If Dude #5 is holding any recognizable melee weapon, or any unknown object that might be a "kuhn", Esias will move to 1210 and stab him with his short sword.
Yes, Dude #5 has one of the same "kuhns" that the others do. He shot Thanis with it last round, although it was #4 that brought him down.
Then Dude #5 is Esias' target unless they heed Vulan and drop their weird wand weapons.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

If Thanis is healed by Oldin then Shareev will spray D5 with a loud bang.

Sawed off 12-Gauge +5 to hit 2d8 damage

"Hope that fire works for you Thanis"
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Having no idea what was just said, but fully understanding the potential lethality of the fire sticks, Rúadhnait pauses long enough to turn and face the speaker. Her sword is still in the ready position and she shows no intent of letting it drop. In one smooth (hopefully) motion, she grabs the lip of the table between herself and dudes 3 and 4 and flips it up towards them.

If the move succeeds, she will move to attack d3. If she can't flip the table completely over, but can turn it on its side, she'll use the table for cover. If she can't even move it, she'll grab the lip and swing under the table, hoping to emerge right in front of d3.
John Grigsby
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand waits to see what will happen next. (Ready action)
Image R.I.P. Brand
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah will wait to see if they drop there weapons. If they do no then she will take a 5-foot step to 1007 and attack D4. If they do then she will move to kick the weapon away from D4.

Attack (sword): +6
Damage (sword): 1d6+2
Attack (dagger): +6
Damage (dagger): 1d4+1
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Zol (d2) lies on the floor and bleeds.

Leenah, Brand, and Aeless wait to see what will happen.

Thanis, in spite of the healing, plays dead.

Dude 3, the leader, shouts, "Well, what are you waiting for! Drop the weapons or die!" He and his buddy (d5) keep you covered.

Shareev does not comply, instead he raises his weird weapon and it lets off a loud boom. You all see Dude 5 duck as a cloud of particles, moving at incredible speed, passes over his head.

This sets off another round of violence, as Dudes 5 and 3 turn their weapons on Shareev, d3 stepping to the side a bit to avoid hitting his ally. There is a series of loud bangs from each weapon, but Shareev seems to escape unharmed!

Vulan turns and puts his sword tip at D2's throat and makes his threat, "Drop those twigs, and we'll revive your rather rude friend. Don't and he's dead while you fight us!"

In response, Dude 3 only shouts to Dude 4, "Get 'em! I never liked Zol anyway!"

This brings about action from Leenah and Aeless Brand did not specify what would trigger his ready action, so he can take it at the beginning of next round if he wants

Leenah steps toward d4 and lays into him with both blades. She misses with her sword, but this allows her to slip her dagger under his guard and cut him slightly.

Aeless closes on d5, cutting him brutally with that gigantic sword.

Jiam seems to nearly falls as he steps off the table, but somehow mangages to land on his feet and stagger over to d4 and smack him on the face with one of his beer mugs.

All of a sudden, you see Thanis' weapon levitate up off the floor and land right next to Thanis' prone hand!

Oldin stands still, shaking his head at the continued violence.

d4 takes a step back from Jiam and Leenah and waves his weapon from side to side while it lets out a rapid sequence of bangs. Leenah and Jiam are both striken with pain as something small and hot seems to strike each of them [7 hp each]

Ruadhnait manages to flip the table over onto d3 (d4 has since moved out of the way). D3 manages to duck out of the way of the lip of the table as it fall toward his head and escapes unscathed. Ruadhnait then strides across the underside of the now overturned table into position to threaten d3.

Esias moves on d5. Putting the speed of his motion behind his blade, Esias cuts him badly.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin moves over to the downed body and touches it (d2) with the slightest of Seker's power. [Cure Minor Wounds].
Last edited by shai-hulud on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

For Last Turn:
Seeing that the fight will continue Brand moves to 1005.

For this Turn:
Brand takes a 5 foot step to 1105 and attacks Dude #4.

Longsword (Atk: +8 Dmg: 1d8+3)
Image R.I.P. Brand
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias moves to 1309 and stabs at Dude #5 again.

+6 to hit (+8 if Dude #5 is now flanked, depending on Thanis' situation), 1d6+2 damage, AC 16
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Five foot step to 1107 and attack D3.

Attack (sword): +6
Damage (sword): 1d6+2
Attack (dagger): +6
Damage (dagger): 1d4+1
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

patransom wrote: Now this round: Zol (d1) whips out his billy club and turns his attention to Vulan, who it seems hurt him the worst. He misses.
I think I got confused by this...let me make sure I know what's going on.

Zol is D2 - Vic is dead, D1. So I'm holding my sword against an unconcious body? OK, got it.

Vulan glares at Oldin for a moment, then nods and charges D3 -- going right over the upturned table and cutting him down!

"Friends don't let friends die drunk!"
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Sunbolt wrote:
patransom wrote: Now this round: Zol (d1) whips out his billy club and turns his attention to Vulan, who it seems hurt him the worst. He misses.
I think I got confused by this...let me make sure I know what's going on.

Zol is D2 - Vic is dead, D1. So I'm holding my sword against an unconcious body? OK, got it.
Sorry for the confusion, I guess I even confused myself while posting. You have it right now.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Taking another shot at d5

Return to “Perearth: Archives”