A deadly fight turns into a drinking session

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

After Amon is put to sleep, Oldin chats with Shareev about earthworms and other things to eat. As he does, he makes his way over towards the downed dudes and when as few people are looking as possible, grabs his knife. Then, pacing himself with Shareev and hiding his newly acquired knife behind his back, he makes his way to the bar to stand behind the dude on the left. Then, hopefully in unison, he slits the dude's throat.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

As Shareev discusses with Oldin the ins and outs of eating worms, dirt and anything that doesn't break his teeth, he will try to keep everyone distracted from Oldins actions with the downed dudes. Once Oldin makes his move, Shareev will walk up behind the other dude and pull his sickle from his side, sliding it across the dudes neck.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

OOC: And does anyone notice these dastardly deeds? Esias has a Spot of +11.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

In an amazing stroke of rolling luck, everyone in the party spots Oldin and Shareev drawing their weapons and going for the Dude's throats, but the Dudes themselves did not. If you want to act in reaction to this, post away!
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah rises, palming her dagger as she moves towards the nearest Dude. If she is able to get in an attack she will take it. If she has to move too far to attack than she will attempt to get into a flanking position and also draw her short sword.

Sleight of Hand: 11
Attack (with dagger): +8
Damage: 1d4+1 (+3d6 if she can do it while they are flat-footed)
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

In that case: uncertain as to the meaning of Oldin and Shareev's actions, Esias will put a hand to his sword hilt, and wait alertly to see what is toward.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

Vulan simply sighs, audibly. "So much for honor." Then downs the rest of his drink.
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Rúadhnait is visibly aghast and angry at these actions. "Why do you kill them?" she snaps aloud (in Common). "They fought well. A warrior should die in battle! This is not the way of honorable men!"
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Ah, the deed had been done; I thought we were stepping back to run up to it. In that case:

"Ekskremento!" Esias blurts an orcish curse as he watches the kindly sage cold-bloodedly kill a helpless prisoner. Whipping out his sword, he looks anxiously -- and warily -- at both murderers with a horrified expression and demands: "Oldin, have you gone mad?"
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

To dispell confusion a bit, and because no one posted an immediate intervention, I'm validating Oldin and Shareev's actions now.

Oldin stands behind the dude on the left, the leader who had introduced himself as Joonays, draws his knife and quickly slits the man's throat. He falls from his stool to the floor, dead.

Shareev cuts the other man's throat with his sickle. He slumps forward on the bar, dead.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin can't hold back and his eyes fill with tears. He addresses his friends, in Common, with as much restraint as possible, "My friends, you might think what I have just done to be dishonorable, or perhaps even cold, but I believe it to be merciful." As he talks, he walks away from the body slumped forward, heading towards the middle of the tavern, talking as he walks.

"You see, I have just come from a meeting with Sam Tinker. He explained to me the nature of the situation with these 'Dudes'. They are not men, but wolves. They travel in a pack, raiding this town, and when these men would be allowed to go, they would scurry back to their others and bring misery upon this town.

"One of theirs was killed in a fair fight, but because they have no comprehension of honor, they will return for vengeance. They will slaughter townsfolk in their ire.

"Now what is to be done when a rabid wolf is incited? Should you fight it honorably? It will not understand. How cruel to confuse it like that! No, the only mercy that can be granted is a swift slaughter. That is what Shareev and I have done. We have slaughtered these men as the animals they are."

Oldin bends over, holding the knife above one of the downed dudes, whom he had earlier healed.

"If we let them go, they will bring forth destruction and ruin, upon all of us, all of these townfolk, and to Amon. If we bring them with us as hostages, they will attempt to slay us while we sleep.

"No, we could not leave them alive. Instead, I will leave a trail for them to follow. The townsfolk will tell them that a crazy old man slew their men. He was too powerful for them. They will come hunting me, and when they find me, they will kill me. In this way, I can protect the townspeople and protect Amon.

"Blood needed to be spilled, and I knew that it should be my hand that spills it. If you have issue with this plan, have no fear, for my life shall soon be forfeit. Please, protect Amon as you have been commissioned, and tell him that I love him. Perhaps someday he will understand that what I have done, I have done to protect him. Take him far from here, and bring him to safety."

With the final word, he stabs the downed dude.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin adds, "And for the town's safety, I plan to fight these animals until my dying breath. Shareev has agreed to aid me in this task, and for that I am grateful."

Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah looks at Oldin, "Shareev is not the only one who will aid you. I drew first blood and therefore it is somewhat my fault that things were not handled differently. I will go with you and aid you in destroying these wolves."
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

The warrior-woman's face mellows slightly as she considers Oldin's words (only comprehending about half of what was said). Finally, she speaks, her tone no softer than before, and still with the strength of anger. "Savages. My spear stands beside you. This day, their blood will flow like water!"
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev looks at the bloody mess and at Oldin.

He walks next to the man, puts his hand on his shoulder, and says, "I stand by our actions. I have seen the dudes do more damage to families then I care to recall. I take no pride in what needed to be done, and do not enjoy the prospect of what is to come. If you choose to stand with us, then I will accept you. If you choose not to, then I would suggest that you head towards sanctuary as planned. At least you will not be in their way when they come for us."
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

I'd like to see some posts from a few more characters agreeing/disagreeing with Oldin and Shareev's plan before moving forward
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias frowns as he examines the dead Dudes. "Y' make these wretches sound worse'n orcs in a berserker's frenzy," he observes grimly. "I've seen what a band o' them can do t' a village, and 'tis in no wise pretty. Count me in, sage."
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

OOC: Sorry, I'm a little late, Brand is not the only one a little shocked. :)

IC:
Brand stares in shock at Oldin's actions, and nods in agreement with Esias' and Rúadhnait's exclamations.

Remaining quiet, as Oldin explains his actions, Brand's face is unreadable.

Listening to the others pledge to help, Oldin fight the Dudes, Brand finally replies.

"Oldin, may your god have mercy on you for what you have done. I may be ignorant of Seker's ways, but I would not expect such actions from one of his followers."

"However, since I had my part in bringing the wrath of these Dudes, on the people of this town, I will assist you in eliminating them, then we will see where we stand, if we stand at all."
Image R.I.P. Brand
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin frowns, looking down to his cherished green book. Looking back up, his eyes still full of tears, Oldin replies, "You are correct, Brand. Seker would have preferred these Dudes to be purged by his holy fire. And perhaps that will provide an excellent incentive for the other Dudes to follow us. If we prepare a funeral pyre large enough for their pack to see, I am sure it will incite their rage.

"May Seker's light shine upon them in whatever afterlife they end up."

Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

Vulan stares at Oldin - "How wonderfully well you rationalize the cold blooded murder of others. I had no idea you and the Prelate had so much in common. Did you study together as children?

"Very well, we're bait then - if we're going to do this, let's do it. But first - who here can show me how to work these Kuns?"
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin turns to Vulan, and in his calm, kindly way, says "I have used no deception. I have offered no falsehoods. Deception and lies are the lifeblood of the Prelate's rationale. If you question my actions, fine, but if you question my integrity again, I shall take insult."

Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

"Perhaps someday someone will explain the difference to me between cutting someone's throat while their back is turned and truce has been offered and bloodletting a child. Both victims are helpless, and both are done by those claiming to serve the "Greater Good". I have found few people with integrity and without honor. Take what insult you will - and do what you must - so shall I."

Vulan's stare leaves no doubt that he'll defend his words with steel, or let the matter drop with the words so spoken.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

"Ah, so you only have problem with my actions. You feel that my actions are what has cost me my integrity? That I can accept. As I said, if you have issue with what I have done, then sit aside as I fight to my death. I care little for your ideology, as I know that Seker is behind me and my actions. His flames shall purge this land of as many of these men as I, and any who wish to fight beside me, can take with us. Should we prevail against them, this town, freed from their tyranny, shall sleep better knowing that I have slit the throats of helpless men. Join us, or stay out of our way."

Return to “Perearth: Archives”