The Plan

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

The Plan

Post by patransom »

As the party reaches general agreement on Oldin and Shareev’s plan, Sam Tinker re-enters the restaurant, carrying a small metal box. He surveys the scene, but does not immediately say anything. Instead he walks around, inspecting the bodies of the Dudes. From each corpse, he removes a small item or two. From the two, Vic and Zol, who were downed first, he also picks up the sticks called “kuhns.” Finally, from the leader, formerly known as Joonays, he removes a bracelet from the wrist.

He puts his armload of items down on the bar and asks Alice for an ale, then sets about poking and prodding at the bracelet. Every now and then, over the music, you hear a crackle and pop from the bracelet. After a while, he turns to Oldin and Shareev, and asks, “I assume because you finished off the survivors, you’re going ahead with Shareev’s plan? I think it’s a good one, and an opportunity for us here in Nauthun.”

He begins speaking, mostly to Shareev, but loud enough for the group in general, “I’ve got the tracking treasure from their largest vigeehul. Probably best you take it with you to wherever you’re going to set up the ambush. They might even follow it directly to you, without stopping here.” He hands the box he entered with to Shareev. “I’ll hide all their vigeehuls, so if they do come here, they’ll believe my story that you killed their comrades and took the vigeehuls … unless you think you can pilot them and take them with you?” He looks around skeptically.

He holds up the bracelet he removed from the leader, “This haymauneeheethayr is on their wave. Doesn’t seem like anyone’s looking for this bunch yet. If I take it back to my shop, with enough time, I may be able to trace the wave back to their hideout. It’ll take some equipment and careful listening, though…”

“For now, I think you should get some rest. I don’t expect the rest of the gang will start looking for their scouts until at least the morning, so you’ve got a little time.”

“You left a couple of the kuhns on the floor.” He waves at the sticks on the bar [for the record, Shareev already picked up one and Vulan two]. “I expect you’ll want those. You’ll need ammunition, too.” He indicates five small boxes he’s placed on the bar. “Come by my shop in the morning and I’ll see what I can do to outfit you with more kuhns and ammunition, or whatever else you need.”

“You may want to check out the outfits these guys were wearing, too. Not my expertise, but seem mighty protective. Not sure where they came by them.”

He scratches his head, “I hope this works. If you take out the search parties, and I can use this haymauneeheethayr to find their main hideout, we may have a real chance to get the Dudes off our backs once and for all!”
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin looks rather confused for a moment, and then his confusion seems to border on panic. "I thought these animals were not negotiators. They have a haymauneeheethayr? Why didn't we just speak to their haymauneeheethayr and work this all out? I, too, am a haymauneeheethayr! Perhaps I could have negotiated some sort of peace!"
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Sam sighs at Oldin's response, "I assure you, they really aren't negotiators. Tell him, Shareev! Believe me, I've tried, and others have too!"

"They believe only that might makes right. They won't bargain when they think they can just take what they want. Even when they do bargain, they'll stab you in the back at the first opportunity!"

He seems reluctant to give up the bracelet, but ultimately holds it out, "If you want to try talking to them, go ahead, but you'll get no further help from me! And you'll give up our advantage of surprise but letting them know we're on their wave!"
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin looks at the bracelet. "Is there a haymauneeheethayr in there? How did they make him so small?" He looks confused again. He carefully puts the bracelet on the table and whispers to it, careful not to blow the tiny man's eardrums out.

"Hello?"

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Sam shakes his head at Oldin's antics, "There's no one in there, old man! It's a treasure that connects with something on the other end through their designated wave. And you need to know how to use it to talk to them."

"Shareev, take it away from him before he breaks it. If you want to help him talk, go ahead ... but you'll give away our advantage. They'll change waves, we won't know what they're doing, and I won't be able to find their hideout."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin's face reddens as he realizes that he is very ignorant of these treasures. "I apologize. Where I am from, a haymauneeheethayr is a man who communicates. I thought that was what you meant."

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"This treasure is simply used to talk to someone a distance away. Please be careful with it or else Sam will have a problem tracing the signal. As Sam said, these butchers have killed every negotiator we have tried to send to them."

Shareev takes the strap from the table Oldin placed it on.

"Our only course of action at this point is to move forward as planned. I know the local layout fairly well, so I should be able to find a place where we could lay out an ambush. Although I could probably pilot one of their vigeehuls, I doubt anyone else here would be able to. Perhaps we should set out on foot."

Shareev hand the haymauneeheethayr back to Sam.

"I agree that we can probably rest easy tonight, but if you hear anyone on this haymauneeheethayr, Sam, please wake us and let us know so we can be on our way immediately."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin's brow furrows again as he is about to ask a question, but he thinks better of it and says, "Very well. We should all get some rest. With all that has happened, I am feeling a bit nauseous." Oldin turns to Alice, "I apologize for all of the damages that we have caused. Tomorrow, before we leave, I will repair as much as I can. I cannot promise that everything will be as good as new, but I can mend some of the holes to some degree.

"I would be able to aid in cleaning, as well, but sadly, I don't think that we will have enough time. I have been working on something that would allow me to clean very rapidly, but I have not perfected it yet." Oldin looks at his book and adds, "Perhaps I will take a look at it again in the morning and see if I can figure it out."

Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand, goes up to Sam Tinker and Shareev, "I think I'm going to need some lighter armor, if we're going to be doing a lot of walking, this suit is too heavy for that."
"Do you know how effective these suits the Dudes are wearing are, or maybe you have something else, I can use?"
Image R.I.P. Brand
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias regards the kuhns on the bar with a dubious expression, then shakes his head. "Best if I use what I know, m'thinkin'," he addresses Sam Tinker. "I'll carry one o' these strange rods if needful, but d'you know where I can get some arrows?"

OOC: unless I'm greatly mistaken, we will be at -4 to hit with an unfamiliar weapon! Possibly even more, considering the differences between D&D missile weapons and firearms.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

"You probably know much more about armor than I do, and whether those outfits are suitable for you" Sam says to Brand, eyeing what the knight is wearing, "Without further examination, I can't tell you exactly what the protective properties of those suits are, but I can say they are made with materials that are lost secrets of the ancients ..."

"If you find they don't suit you, I have some simpler types of armor at my shop. We can check on that in the morning."

To Esias he says, "If you haven't used a kuhn before, you might find them difficult to use. It take a lot of practice to be a marksman like Thanis there ..."

[From a rules standpoint, yes, you will take the -4 nonproficiency penalty with these "kuhns." You'll also require someone to show you how to use them in the first place, but Shareev or Thanis can do that.

If anyone bothers to try on the armor, testing it out in simulated combat, you can pretty easily figure out just how protective it is (it's pretty good). However, you'll also find it moves unusually and you won't be able to take complete advantage of its protection without special practice.

I mention this now because both of these problems could be solved by taking certain feats. Conveniently enough, I expect most of you will be 6th level if you survive the next several encounters, so this might be something to consider in character ... ]

Return to “Perearth: Archives”