A box canyon

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

A box canyon

Post by patransom »

Having gathered all the equipment you require, Shareev and Thanis lead you about an hour east of town, to a place that looks ideal for an ambush: a small box canyon. The canyon walls are about 20 feet above its floor at the east end.

Set yourselves up to wait in whatever position you desire. Shareev, you have the tracking device that Sam removed from the Dude's transport. Oldin, I'm assuming you left Amon in Sherrif's custody, as planned, right?
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev will take up position behind the tree at 0602. He would like to attempt to corner them in and possibly disable their transport.
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah will hide behind the tree located at 1604, so in 1703. She will have her forty-five handy as well as her bow.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin leads everyone into the canyon to begin with, making sure to leave heavy tracks, so there is no way that their entry into the canyon could be missed. He then casts Pass Without Trace on everyone.

"You can walk back however you want. You will not leave any tracks out of the canyon, so our pursuers will believe we are still in the canyon. Once we hear them get closer, I will create a magical silence. Whoever has the best aim can throw coins into the canyon that will disable their ability to communicate with each other. They also will not hear your kuhns, so they will not know which direction the kuhnshots are coming from."

Oldin will be in 1603 so that when he recites his religious passage, everyone will hopefully be affected.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

Vulan takes the place at 1703 - and takes out the Khun.

"How many are we ambushing? Do you have any clue?"

He lines up the shot, and takes a couple of practice shots to get the range and aim. Once he knows exactly where the shot goes - he braces the Khun there, and then sets up the second one and repeats the process.

All the while keeping an eye on Oldin.
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam takes up a position at 0603 and intends on helping Shareev box in and cut off escape, as well as disabling the transport. He prepares a couple flasks of oil for igniting, as well as pulling out a flask of ale. He also redies a scroll of Mage armor that he will read when he sees them approach.

He simply nods to Shareev when ready, then settles down in the shade to wait.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Rúadhnait lifts herself into the tree at 0214 and readies her spear for an ambush, should the men try to flee.
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
Catalyst
Horseman
Horseman

Post by Catalyst »

If it is possible, Thanis will take up post at 2211 aiming into the canyon keeping a keen eye out behind a tree to take aim on anyone coming in.
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias will take up position behind the tree at 2214, bow in hand as he watches the canyon for Dudes, his kuhn sheathed for the moment.

OOC: +7 Hide, +11 Listen, +14 Move Silently, +10 Search, +11 Spot, and the trackless step class feature to obscure his tracks.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand takes up position behind the tree at 1217. He readies a Javelin for now, not quite trusting himself with the Kuhn. He will help Rúadhnait, take out Dudes who attempt to flee.
Image R.I.P. Brand
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[The only person missing in this round of posts was Aeless, so I placed him arbitrarily]

You all take up positions, hiding above the canyon floor as best you can, and settle in to wait. Moments later, the bracelet on Shareev's wrist begins speaking in Sam Tinker's voice: "Shareev, I've been monitoring the Dudes wave. Sounds like there's more than one scouting party out there. Some of them are coming here and others are following the tracking device to you. I can't tell exactly where any of them are yet or how many, but I'll try to keep you posted."

Several hours pass with no word from the Sam-speaking bracelet. It approaches high noon when all of you hear a low growling sound.

Moments later, you spot the source: two objects in the distance, approaching your location. As they get closer, you start to make out details. The objects appear to be round-nosed metal wagons with huge wheels. There are, however, no horses to pull them; they seem move by themselves, making a strange grumbling as they do. Four men sit atop each wagon.

They reach the mouth of the canyon, then slow to a stop. A man (d3) in the back of the lead wagon is staring at something is his hands. Without looking up, he shouts, "It should be here somewhere. Fan out and look around." Most of the men dismount from the wagons and begin looking this way and that.

One of them (d6) shouts, "Hey, there's someone behind that tree over there …" and points directly at Brand.

Another (d2) says, "There's another one there …" pointing at Shareev
d3 looks up from the object in his hands and stares back and forth between the two, "Who the geeh are you?" The other men go for their kuhns, raising them to point at one or the other of Brand or Shareev.
[d1, d3, and d5 are seated in the wagons and not currently pointing weapons at anyone … but the rest are aiming at Brand and Shareev]
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam whispers behind him to Shareev. "Your presence is known, but the trap may yet be sprung. Run screaming East into the canyon, and they will follow. Their attention will be focused on you. Bring Brand with you!"

Jiam drinks down his Mage Armor potion. He then will take a long pull of Ale from his flask. If Shareev does not take his advice by then, hew will break cover himself and drag Shareev with him East into the canyon. The intent will be to keep their attention and draw them in into the trap.

If Shareev does run like suggested, he will wait and swing in behind the group making a bee line to the closest wagon. His intent will then be to mount it, clear the top of enemy, and throw burning flasks of oil inside.

(OOC) I suddenly feel like I am playing a weird version of Call Of Duty 3 (/OOC)
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless moves to the trees (2204) quietly and hopefully unnoticed, as he hears the commotion and the dismounts of men from their horses and readies his bow and arrows.

OOC: Am currently moving am sorry about that, thought I would get my comp ready on time there.
Catalyst
Horseman
Horseman

Post by Catalyst »

Thanis trains his crosshairs on d6 and begins to control his breathing.
Image Rain Talayan
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev will slowly walk out to 1904 (the edge of the canyon and call out

"Get out of the canyon. They know you are in there"
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

Well, Vulan's marked the range and aim of his Khuns - so he waits for one of them to step into the line of fire he's already marked and squeezes off a round. If it looks like noone of them will do so - he moves one of the khuns and takes the shot once they move in deeper.
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand runs into the canyon, running, sliding or dropping (not sure how shear the walls are) down to 1313. He then runs as far as possible into the canyon.

Declare Shield Block on D6.
Image R.I.P. Brand
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Not wanting to lose her advantage, Rúadhnait waits in the tree until, a) she is spotted, or b) the melee is joined. Once a melee begins, she will grab her necklace and offer a swift prayer to her father's spirit (DM, take note, please), then move in, attacking the nearest foe. If she can manage to jump from the tree onto said foe, so much the better.
John Grigsby
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah keeps her bow ready waiting for one of the men to move further into the canyon. She will not fire until at least four of the men have moved at least thirty feet into the canyon from where they are. Or someone else begins combat first.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin holds his action for the dudes to advance within the canyon more. When he figures that all of them are within 60' of his location, he will open his prayerbook to the page he has marked off and recite some scripture. Since the dudes will be in magical silence by then, they hopefully won't notice his casting.

[OOC -
+2 luck bonus on attack rolls and saving throws to all allies within 60 feet. -2 luck penalty on attack rolls and saving throws to all enemies within 60 feet.]

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[A note I missed last week: Just before the dudes arrived, someone (Leenah or Oldin) threw a couple of coins into the canyon. Oldin had cast Silence on these coins and the blue circles now mark the silenced areas. Also, the canyon walls are sheer and I've marked off the distance down at various places.]

Jiam drinks his potion of mage armor, then, with amazing speed, consumes his entire flask of ale, too.

Carrying his javelin, Brand runs to the edge of the canyon, then jumps down. He lands on his knees, but the outfit he is wearing absorbs the impact nicely [no damage]. He picks himself back up.

Thanis quietly begins concentrating his aim on Dude 6

Shareev moves along the canyon edge, shouting, "Get out of the canyon. They know you are in there." [Your move rate is not enough to get you quite to 1904. I put you where I did so you'd still be out of everyone's line of fire. You still have 4 squares of movement left if you'd prefer somewhere else]

Aeless moves in close to the tree and readies his bow.

Dude 3 shouts, "Hey! That guy's got one of our suits!" pointing at Brand, "Get him, they must have taken our rover, too!" Dude 1, who seemed to be listening to Shareev, adds, "Sounds like there might be more of them in there, so be careful."

Dudes 2, 4, 6, 7, and 8 begin moving into the canyon, most of them toward Brand, although Dude 2 appears to be keeping an eye on Shareev.

Leenah starts things off by firing an arrow at Dude 2, hitting him, but barely penetrating his Kel Suit.

Dude 2 begins to shout, but is startled when his voice makes no sound. He points his kuhn at Leenah. Dude 3 shouts, "Look out! It's an ambush!" but his allies don't seem to hear him.

Unaware of Leenah's action, Dudes 4, 6, 7, and 8 continue moving toward Brand, seemingly intent on surrounding him. They don't get very far before Vulan fires off a shot at dude 6. Vulan misses, but Dude 6 seems unaware of the potential threat. Dude 2, seeing Vulan pop up, now runs further into the canyon, his aim waving between Leenah and Vulan.

Dudes 4, 6, 7, and 8 arrive at positions sort of surrounding Brand, but a little distance away. Dude 6 begins to speak, pointing his kuhn threateningly, but is then startled when there's no sound.

Dude 3 stands up in his seat and readies his kuhn. Dudes 1 and 5 remain seated, looking a bit confused.

[Oldin, all the dudes aren't within 60 feet, but if you wanted to cast during this round anyway, I'll allow it.]

[Ruadhnait, you weren't spotted and said you were waiting for melee to start. I'm not sure whether you consider what's happened enough to act yet. If you do you, you can act during this round, too]
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev will attempt to slide down into the canyon with his Shotkuhn in hand.

If possible, he would like to take a shot off at D2 when he reaches the bottom otherwise he will leave D2 to Vulan and Leenah and move as much as possible to get behind D7
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias moves to 1614 and lets fly an arrow at Dude #6.

OOC: +7 to hit (thank you, Point Blank Range); damage if he hits is 1d6+4+2d6 (Point Blank Range and skirmish) [normal crit threat range of 20, x3 multiplier]; AC is 17 (+1 for skirmish movement), 18 vs Dude #6 (another +1 for Dodge).
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Catalyst
Horseman
Horseman

Post by Catalyst »

Thanis gently squeezes the trigger, crosshairs trained on Dude 6's face, and fires off his shot.
Image Rain Talayan
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam changes his course of action now that he does not have help. He ignites both flasks of oil, and will begin launching them on to the top of the closest iron wagon. (0407) He will attempt to score with both even if the first one hits. Even if he misses, he hopes his action will cause further confusion and buy his friends more time.
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Steps forward to 1704, slipping her bow over her shoulder and drawing her sword as she jumps to 1705. Assuming she lands well she will take a swing at d2.

Jump: 1
Tumble: 5
Attack: +8
Damage: 1d6+2 (19-20/x2)
AC: 20
Last edited by Icefire on Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand smiles as the Dudes surround him, he drops his Javelin, draws his Longsword and charges (+2 Atk, -2 AC) Dude #7.

As he moves he keeps his shield between him and Dude 8 (Shield Block +1 AC).

Atk: Longsword (+8*, 1d8+3)
AC: 17*, +1 for D8

*includes Charge
Image R.I.P. Brand
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

Vulan will try to get a better shot off with the second khun - at whatever target is closet to the range he already established with that khun - or if noone is close - then at D2.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

[OOC - No, my delayed action was for all of them to be within range. Oldin is a fairly patient man, usually. He doesn't mind waiting to get it right.]

Oldin moves to 1303, in plain view, not attempting to hide, holding out his hands, indicating that he is no threat, hoping that he will not be killed instantly. When he arrives, he opens his book and recites, [Celestial]"Seker, I entreat you! May your light shine guide my allies and blind my enemies!"[/Celestial] (Recitation... +2 luck bonus to all attack rolls and saves for allies, -2 luck penalty to all attack rolls and saves for all enemies).

[With everyone's current positions, I think I get everyone except d5 and Ruadhnait.]

After that, Oldin remains standing there, hoping to draw their attention (and possibly khunfire). If he is seriously wounded, he will fall to the ground to hopefully avoid any more khunfire (seriously wounded is 9 or fewer hp remaining).

whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Grasping her amulet and offering a quick prayer to her father's spirit, Rúadhnait slips from her perch and hits the ground running. Her target is d5, but she does not scream a war cry, hoping instead to take him by surprise.
John Grigsby

Return to “Perearth: Archives”