Ambush completed

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Ambush completed

Post by patransom »

[New thread, 'cause things seem to have stabilized with this combat and nine pages is just too long]

Jiam pins his opponent with a choke hold and Ruadhnait piles on. The man shouts and struggles weakly to get free of the two of them, to no avail.

Oldin's fire brings Leenah back to consciousness, but she still seems badly wounded, so he follows up with another spell. [Healed a total of 23 hp]

In response to Vulan's command, Dude 1 removes his billy club from his belt and tosses it to the ground. "My name is Mayrhu and I ain't got no more weapons or a reetyu. The sarge has ours." He indicates the man struggling to free himself from Jiam and Ruadhnait.

At this point, the magic bracelet on Shareev's wrist begins making noise. It's Sam Tinker's voice, "Shareev, are you there lad?"

[Damage totals: Thanis 17, Leenah 16, Esias 19, Shareev 21 (including 3 nonlethal), Brand 24, Aeless 6 nonlethal, Ruadhnait 15]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin proceeds to use up his healing magics on the most injured among them, still saving his wands for dire necessity. If things settle down, he will replace his remaining spells with healing spells and use up the rest of his spell allotment for the day.

Edit: Actually, rather than waste all of his spells, he will cast until everyone's wounds look like they will heal in a night or two of rest. So, no more than 10 hp damage left on anyone.
Last edited by shai-hulud on Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev replies to Tinker. "Before you ask, yes we ran into a problem. Is everything okay in the town?"
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah gets off the wagon still looking pretty badly injured but at least moving now.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam will continue to squeeze him in a choke hold until he stops moving. Once out. Jiam will tie him up using his own belt. He will take his Khuns and ammo, and then drag him by his feet so that he head drags the ground face first, back to the others.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Seems all is alright, think we need to catch the other wagon or head back to town?" asks Aeless while examining one the guns.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Sorry folks, no validation today. I'm heading out the door out of town and didn't have time. Will pick up Tuesday
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

Vulan continues to question the man: How many of you DUDES are there? What's your purpose? Why do you take from the locals without pay? Do you have a law or a code of honor?

He continues this, trying to learn everything he can about the dudes while tying the man securely.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

After some considerable struggle, Jiam and Ruadhnait manage to subdue their prisoner into unconsciousness. [Really, it was nearly impossible for him to win a grapple check, but his suit was doing a great job of keeping him from being injured] Jiam ties him up, takes his weapons, and drags him over to the others. In addition to a kuhn, a billy club, and his suit, the man also has a bracelet like the one Shareev's talking to Sam with, and a small flat item that fits in the palm of a hand, with flashing lights on it.

Oldin begins casting spells on the most injured party members [Took the most injured first, in terms of percent, not total damage: Shareev healed 21, Leenah healed 13, Thanis healed 13. Oldin, that's all of your memorized healing spells. Can Archivists cast healing spells spontaneously? I didn't think so, but I haven't looked at the class in a while ...]

Sam's voice from Shareev's bracelet replies, "I figured you had a problem. A bunch of the Dudes came here. I hardly started telling them our 'story,' when they got a call on their hoomauneeheether about an ambush. I assume that was you. They drove off like they were shot out of a kuhn. I've been listening to their waves. Sounds like there are still two groups out there. They are going to meet up and then head back to the ambush site."

"So, be sure you're ready to handle a whole bunch of them if you stay put. I figure they're still tracking you with the locator box I gave you."

"The bad news is that they haven't talked to their hideout yet, so I can't locate it. Maybe if you can get a hold of whatever they are using to find the locator box, it will be easier to find their hideout that way."

In the meantime, Vulan interrogates his prisoner (Mayrhu), while tying him up:

Vulan: "How many of you DUDES are there?"
Mayrhu: "There's the cowards you chased off and another raiding party like us. Then there are the guys back at base."

Vulan: "What's your purpose?"
Mayrhu: "We're just tryin' to live in the wastes. Boss says if we get enough kuhns and recruits, we can build a real army and maybe set up a better fort in one of the old cities."

Vulan: "Why do you take from the locals without pay?"
Mayrhu looks a little confused and shrugs: "'Cause they got stuff we need. Bullets, parts for the Jifs."

Vulan: "Do you have a law or a code of honor?"
Mayrhu looks completely confused now: "What are you talking about? We do what the boss says …"

[Damage totals: Thanis 4, Leenah 3, Esias 19, Brand 24, Aeless 6 nonlethal, Ruadhnait 15]
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Into the bracelet, "Thanks Sam. It appear we have captured two of them. Perhaps we can get them to tell us. Otherwise I can check the Jif they were using for anything of the sort."

Turning to the group. "Hear that guys. Sounds like there is going to be more company. If we are staying here for the next round of attacks, I would suggest staying towards the back of the canyon and drawing them in."

Shareev will jump on the wagon that is still there and start searching it.

OOC: Trying to find out if there is something on it that helped them locate us and seeing if it can be moved and driven into the canyon.
Last edited by klakxor on Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

No, Oldin cannot spontaneously cast healing spells, but he can rememorize different spells, just as a wizard can. Whatever percentage of spells he is trying to rememorize, that is the percentage of one hour that it will take to memorize new spells in their place.

Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand puts his revolver away and retrieves a cure light wounds potion out of his pack and drinks it.
Image R.I.P. Brand
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"Okay, looks like we have another tracking box. Vulan, perhaps you could convince your friend there to tell us how they tracked us."

"On a better note, if I can get this fixed, we could move it into the canyon to create for a better ambush. That is if you guys want to wait around for the next set to show up."
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

"You heard the man - how'd you find us? And then tell me all you know about your boss - I might need to have a chat with him.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Clearly, they already know to approach this are with caution. I suggest to move our ambush point closer. Would be something unexpected, and they would come here anyway." Aeless waits for other suggestions.
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

"We had difficulty with these." Jiam points at the Dude laying at his feet. "I am thinking we find that locater thing, and get out of here."

"But first..." Kiam begins stripping the man of his suit. "Should have done this the first time. I am taking this thing for myself. Gave me no end of trouble."

He then tosses the the small flat item with flashing lights down for all to see. "What is this?" he demands of the prisoner answering questions. (ooc)If there is a delay to his answer, he will get a boot in his face.(/ooc)
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias, waiting to see if Oldin's healing magic will extend to him, checks his sole dose of cure light wounds (which he'll quaff if Oldin has nothing left; 1d8+1). "Depends on how clever these Dudes be," he remarks in response to Aeless' suggestion. "If they 'spect us t' be here waitin' for 'em, then movin' closer down th' way we 'spect 'em t' come will prob'ly take 'em by surprise. 'Course, if they're canny enough t' reckon we'll do somethin' like that, could be the smartest thing is for us t' stay here."

He gives the ranger a crooked smile. "Ambushes be like that, betimes. No matter how clever y' might be, what th' other side 'spects and does can throw all your fine plans into the latrine.

"One trick that can work pretty good, if'n your foes don't think o' it, is t' dig yourselves holes just big enough for a man t' crouch down in, then cover him over with a blanket and cover that with dirt 'n' sod. Th' orcs back in th' Smokes favor that so much we learned t' stomp around any campsite 'fore settlin' down, just in case some was lurkin' there in hopes o' catchin' us unaware. But I don't know if we've the time for that here, nor the tools, neither."

OOC: Ah, so Jiam is a student of Tae Kwon Leap! (Obscure pop culture reference: "Boot to the head!")
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[Oldin - please see my message in the rules questions thread about rememorizing]

In response to Shareev's and Vulan's questions about how the Dudes are tracking the boxes, Mayrhu bobs his head in the direction of the item Jiam just threw on the ground. He then cowers a bit under the threat of Tae Kwon Leap.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Instead of replacing new spells for the old ones, Oldin pulls out one of his trusty wands and completes his task of healing everyone to within a night or two of rest.

beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

"That is what I thought. Well then since we have the means to track them, don't we now have the means to locate their hideout?" Jiam asks, picking up the disc once more.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"Careful with that. If this is the device that they used to track us, I am sure there is a way to reverse it in order to find out their location. Can I see it."
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam simply nods and hands the device over. He then begins to put the suit on himself in anticipation of more Dudes coming.
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

CGM3 wrote:OOC: Ah, so Jiam is a student of Tae Kwon Leap! (Obscure pop culture reference: "Boot to the head!")
Not so obscure. A friend forced me to watch Demon Hunters one night. Didn't care for it as much as The Gamers, though.
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

whtknt wrote:
CGM3 wrote:OOC: Ah, so Jiam is a student of Tae Kwon Leap! (Obscure pop culture reference: "Boot to the head!")
Not so obscure. A friend forced me to watch Demon Hunters one night. Didn't care for it as much as The Gamers, though.
Actually, I was refering to its original appearance... :D
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Oldin starts whacking people with his wand [Esias healed 9, Brand healed 21, Ruadhnait healed 7, six charges used]

Jiam puts on a Kel Suit stripped from his prisoner, finding it binding, but oh so protective.

Shareev examines the device recovered from the prisoner. Its purpose is quite obvious to him. The face of it is meant to be a map, although it doesn't show terrain. The center of the map is always the location of the device itself and the flashing lights indicate the relative locations of tracking boxes. The two flashing lights right at the center make this clear.

Shareev also figures out the controls that can be used to change the scale of the map. Zooming out, he sees two flashing lights moving toward your location and a third moving away. The three lights meet and stop moving. From the scale on the map, Shareev can tell the three lights have met at a location perhaps five miles from here.

Zooming out much farther, Shareev notes a large group of flashing lights clustered together about 75 miles to the west. These lights are stationary.

[Damage totals: Thanis 4, Leenah 3, Esias 10, Brand 3, Aeless 6 nonlethal, Ruadhnait 8]
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"Well guys, I have good news and bad news. Good news is that I think I have figured out the home base location. All these lights that aren't moving would be the most likely place. Bad news, those guys that ran are only a couple miles away and have 2 more groups coming back with them."
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah asks, "So what do we want to do?"
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin sighs, "Most of my magic is tapped. I have the power to create a fog that would obscure our locations. If there is no wind, it would last until the three groups arrived. We might be able to use the fog to our advantage.

"Perhaps we can make some decoys and place them in the wagon within the fog. When the group comes, it will buy us a little time to engage. It seemed that my magical silence had the intended effect of confusing them.

"If they are already five miles away, I would guess they could return within five to ten minutes. We don't have much time to set this up, and my spell will not last very long. It will last about five minutes if there is not much wind. With wind, it will last maybe thirty seconds or less.

"Honestly, I am no fighter. How do the rest of you feel about fighting another group coming at us?"

valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Well, am not a wizard and I think we can take them if there were only 2 groups. Sounds like you mentioned a total of 3 groups?" as Aeless looks around to his companions. He turns to one of the prisoners and politely asks, "How many are there of your coteries and be precise?" as he slings his large greatsword to his back and holds his large composite bow along with a war arrow.

OOC: Weaponries for additional intimidation factor.
Catalyst
Horseman
Horseman

Post by Catalyst »

Thanis checks his reeble and reloads.

"Just give me a good possition."
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

Return to “Perearth: Archives”