Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"Sorry, you are right. Head back west."
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[For purposes of moving things along, I'm making the following assumptions: (1) that Vulan and Jiam agree to carry the prisoners, (2) that Shareev leaves the locator box Sam gave him in Nauthun at the ambush site (not the tracking device, but the box that shows up as a flashing light on the tracking device screen), (3) that Shareev is keeping an eye on the tracking device, as well as keeping an eye out with his special googles, (4) you move at a hustle for the first hour, then at normal speed to avoid tiring yourselves, and (5) you make your turn to the west once you've reached near the edge of the map (just so I don't have to draw more).]

The party sets off north at a hustle. Although Vulan and Jiam are slowed a bit by carrying the prisoners, the group makes good time and is 1/3 mile away from the site before the flashing lights arrive there. The lights stop there for almost an hour, then begin moving again, making a tight outward spiral from the ambush site. They follow this pattern for another hour, then begin heading back to the west.

At this point, Sam's voice comes from Shareev's bracelet, "Shareev. I've been listening to the Dudes talk with their base. Sounds like they couldn't find you. Their bosses told them to head back to Nauthun and wait. They figure you have to come back here some time. What are you planning, lad?"

Examining the speed with which the flashing lights are moving on the tracking device, Shareev estimates it will take the Dudes about 15 minutes to return to Nauthun. Thanis says it will take you two more hours at the rate you're moving, less if you let the prisoners walk on their own. But either way, the Dudes will get there before you.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"We can let them walk now." suggests Aeless.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev tells the others that the lights are heading back to Nauthan. "They will get there long before us. Perhaps we should stop at Sactuary before going back to Nauthan. I do not think the dudes will bother us there. I can have Sam contact us when the coast is clear."
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

"As good a plan as any."
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Within minutes, the flashing lights representing the Dudes arrive at Nauthun and stop.

With no objections to Shareev's plan, the party makes its way toward Sanctuary. Only one of the prisoners is conscious to walk under his own power, so it takes two hours to reach the place.

Here you find the large metal dome you spotted on your way in to Nauthun. There is what appears to be a door in the dome, but no signs of life about.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin looks to Shareev and Thanis, "Is this place usually this quiet? While talking to Sam, he indicated that people lived here."
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"Never actually been here before Oldin. There are pure humans inside, as I have seen them in Nauthan, but I really do not think they would invite me home to meet mom. Perhaps a couple knocks on the door should get some attention."

Shareev moves over to where the door is located and uses the butt of his shotkuhn to rap on it a couple times.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin squints, studying Shareev's features. "So, what exactly are you? Half-elf? Half-orc? It certainly doesn't show, whatever 'half-' you are. Actually, if you are half-dwarf, I don't think I want to know..." Oldin gives a little shudder and an 'eewwsh'.

beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam promptly sits on his prisoner to rest.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin turns to Jiam, shocked. "Jiam, what are you doing?!? Get off of him!" Oldin tries to pull Jiam off of the prisoner.

beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

"I am resting and I don't trust these filth as far as I can hurl them! Even if they are bound, I expect them to constantly be looking for a chance to flee. If I sit on them, I don't have to get up to throttle them later.

I understand your sense of nobility and honor, but this pond scum will slit your throat if he gets half a chance."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

"He is bound! There is no reason to torture him. It is far more humane to put him out of his misery. He doesn't understand that what he does is wrong. If he tries anything, his life is forfeit. I am sure he understands that!"

beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam does not move for a second, but then stands at once. "I feel you are misguided on a great many things, but you are my friend. I am humbled by your honor." Jiam bows slightly. Then turning to his prisoner, "But do not mistake his honor as weakness. It would be the last mistake you make."

Jiam steps aside to fold his arms and wait.
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

[Sorry for the extended absence...] Vulan keeps the prisoner safe, and shoots Jiam a dirty look.
"It might be you like to torture and bully, but I don't stab those I'm drinking with the back, and I don't beat tied up men. Untie him if you want to kill him, give him a sword and face him like a man, otherwise, leave him to me."

Then, assuming Jiam doesn't do anything stupid, he turns to the prisoner. "Why's it so quiet here? You dudes hide your sentries or have some other way to know if someone's sneaking up on you? Or do you just think noone would come here? How many are inside? And understand, I'll know if you're lying when you answer, and you'll be dead if you do!"
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

"I did not beat up a tied man, and I already faced him in combat. Do you pride yourself in having the last word? I have already complied with his wishes, " says Jiam pointing to Oldin. "But if you wish to be the babysitter, or you dissaprove of my methods, then have it your way. You now have two prisoners to to attend to." Jiam walks away and ignores whatever reply may follow.

Jiam walks to the entrance and tosses a rock through. If nothing happens, he walks in through the already open door.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev turns to Vulan,"I know that perhaps you do not like the methods chosen by Oldin or myself the other day. However, we thought the actions were for the best and we did what we felt we had to do. As for Sanctuary, this is not the home for the dudes."

He will walk over to Vulan, showing him the disk. "These lights represent their vehicles. Notice the large congregation many miles to the west. That is where they are making their home, I am sure of it. If you look carefully", Shareev will zoom in to Nauthan and Sanctuary, "This is where we are. There are three vehicles that went to Nauthan and we think that if we can spend some time here we may be able to wait them out. So that we can safely return and speak to Sam."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin looks to Shareev, "Vulan did not mention our methods. He said that he doesn't stab those he is drinking with in the back. We did no such thing. I would never drink with animals such as these. We slaughtered animals who happened to be drinking, but certainly not with us. They were never with us."

whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

"Do all civilized men talk this much?" Ruadhnait wonders aloud. Moving behind the prisoner (assuming no one stops her), she clocks him on the back of the head with the pommel of her sword. "Now he will not be trouble."
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam glances behind him while standing in the doorway. "I think I like you, lady."
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah will approach the door and knock to see if anyone responds. If no one responds within say five minutes then she will see if she can open it.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin nods and says, "Thank you, Ruadhnait."

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Jiam, Oldin, and Vulan discuss the treatment of the one conscious prisoner, who seems rather frightened by the argument.

Vulan asks the prisoner, "Why's it so quiet here? You dudes hide your sentries or have some other way to know if someone's sneaking up on you? Or do you just think noone would come here? How many are inside? And understand, I'll know if you're lying when you answer, and you'll be dead if you do!"

He responds, "What are you talking about? This isn't our place. It's where those religious fanatics live." He seems about to go on, when Ruadhnait clocks him on the head with the butt of her longsword, knocking him unconsious [nonlethal damage more than sufficient to exceed his remaining hit points].

With that settled, Shareev moves to knock on the door with the butt of his shotkhun, accompanied by Leenah. [Jiam, sorry if it wasn't clear, the door is closed, so throwing a rock through it isn't really an option.] Examining the door, Leenah finds it quite strange: there are no hinges, handle, or lock. It looks like it slides into the wall of the dome, but there's no obvious way to open it.

Leenah's inspection of the door, however, is interrupted by a response to Shareev's knocking. Although the door remains closed, a voice comes from directly above it -- the voice of a woman with a rather pleasant tone. Looking up for the source of the voice, you see no windows or other way for someone above to talk to you, but it sounds like the woman is several feet above your heads.

The voice says, "Welcome, Strangers, to the Sanctuary of Our Lord Meeher. How can Sanctuary be of assistance?"
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin bows and looks up in the general direction of the voice saying, "Greetings, I am Oldin Sargash, of the Sargash family. May my companions and I be granted admittance to this... establishment... err... abode."

Oldin is attempting to be as diplomatic as possible. He is also extremely hungry, as he has not eaten since Alice's soup.

Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

[ooc - first I have to apologize, I rushed through the moves and validations to catch up, and wound up misreading something - I thought the prisoner Jiam was sitting on was the one I'd already proclaimed under my protection... oops. I also, obviously, thought we had gone to the dude's hideout, which clearly we didn't. None the less, I love how it role played out, and see no reason to try to rewrite the history, so let's keep going from here.... I'll be more diligent in the future.]

Vulan looks at Ruadhnait - "good shot. Now we don't get any information, unless you can speak to a sleeping man. Am I the only one here who doesn't beat up defenseless people?"

Then to Shereev - "You're right. I didn't. We beat them in honest combat and I offered to make peace and buy them a drink. They returned the favor with honor as the defeated and offered to pay instead - and then you two killed them without discussion or consensus. I do not know the ways of this new world - but I am certain I don't like killing men when their backs are turned and they are drinking and at peacemaking. Perhaps they were trying to trick us, or lull us into a false sense of security, but I'd rather have let them make the first move of deceit and killed them for it than be party to cold blooded murder.
That said, I don't really know much about your lights and maps and such - but I choose to believe you. My question is why are we here then instead of taking the fight to the Dudes? If they are such a threat of mindless animals and such, why aren't we hunting them down before they can hurt anyone else?

Oh, and that they weren't with us - I AM part of US, and since I got US to drinking, they were most certainly with US. Make what excuses you will priest - you murdered those people without trial, without justice on the word and testimony only you heard and without giving them a chance to defend themselves either with words or weapons. I question - and that is my right - or do I have to guard my back as well?"

Then he noticed the door open...

(ideally, this takes place before Oldin turns to address the people at the door.)
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[To clarify, the door didn't open at the knocking and hasn't opened yet. There's a disembodied voice speaking from somewhere above it.]

The voice answers Oldin, "For what purpose do you and your companions seek admission, Oldin Sargash?" The voice is still quite pleasant and helpful-sounding.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin's eyes squint, "Vulan, I believe in protecting Amon. I believe in it more strongly than I believe in the sanctity of your life, mine, or anyone else's. That boy is destined for greatness. I had never murdered a man before, and it made me sick to do it, but I believe it had to be done, and I believe it was right. I am not telling you to believe it.

"As far as your back, if you have any designs on Amon's life, it will be more than your back you must watch. Nothing all in the Celestial Heavens would keep you safe from my vengeance.

"That said, I am not a vengeful man, but I will not allow these dudes or you or anyone else to come between Amon and a long, healthy life. We will continue the hunt once we have filled our stomach, sustaining our own lives. We will not prevent their actions if we die from hunger, now will we? Use your head Vulan. Our survival is necessary to our success."

At the voice's response, Oldin replies, "We come seeking food, council, and a place to rest."

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Looking to continue the discussion with Vulan, Shareev responds.

"I realize you are from elsewhere, so I do not fully expect you to understand. But I have had to deal with the Dudes my entire life. I know what they are and what they are capable of. Oldin's thought of protecting the child is just one of many emotions I felt at that time. I do not look for your acceptance of our actions, and as such, I do not think I will find it.

You have no need to hide your back from me Vulan, as I do not know you and would not attack you unprovoked. But let this be known, Dudes are more then likely to pick you up when you fall, just so they can shoot you in your back when you turn around.

And as to why we are here as opposed to taking the fight to the Dudes. The weapons they have and their sheer numbers will be a problem if we go to them. Imagine being a solitary ant fighting an anthill. Would you want to do it in the anthill. We are here awaiting the dudes to leave Nauthan so we can speak to Sam Tinker."

Shareev does not respond to the voice coming from the dome, allowing Oldin to do the diplomacy. Shareev is not even sure if some of them will be allowed in.
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

"We vowed to save and protect the boy - and now we have saved him, sort of. I too will keep him safe - though I'm certain you think you're the only one who can do "what needs to be done." But mindlessly killing anything that MIGHT pose a threat - anything that has the Potential to harm him is madness! These Dudes have no reason to target the boy. If they are like rabid dogs they are a threat to all. Rabid dogs however are mad and lack intelligence. These are men, corrupt, perhaps, but men. They have minds. When defeated they turns over their weapons. Perhaps just biding their time, as would any prisoner, waiting to escape and slay his captors. Maybe they are ruthless men with no regard to life. Who would kill us all, but just because they are horrible, does not give us excuse for murder. If we adopt their standards - THEN we will be a greater threat to the boy's future than if we had allowed him to die, his soul pure. I would have thought a priest would understand that!

"Shereev. I have no issue with you, but that you acted with only Oldin, leaving the rest of us to guess at your actions. He does not speak for us, and his decisions are circumspect. We are new, none the less, and we'll have to adapt to each other. I will not bring this up again, nor do I expect you to turn on me, or Jiam, or any of these others. Nor can I dictate the morales of our group. I am, perhaps, overreacting because I am so surprised to be the moral center of any group.
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

"HEY! In case you have not noticed, there is a disembodied voice floating above the door asking asking whaty we want. Can we please debate who is more noble later? If you need this settled now, I say the boy." Jiam turns around to face the door again.

Return to “Perearth: Archives”