EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

Vulan listens to the chatter quietly.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"I don't think I really fully understand the history, since I do not even have the inkling of what you're all talking about. I am half-elf born in the Silver Glades raised by my parents, and I am curious as to what Age is this now?" as Aeless begins to worry for some unknown reason.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Just playing the character w/o using player knowledge.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

As Dr. Zeus plays with his device, Apothecary continues to pester Shareev. "Water, sparkling, with lemon! Enjoy!" It continues to present the small canister.
Leenah wrote:"All right, I will allow you to draw some of mine."
Dr. Zeus smiles and moves away from his device for a moment to collect some blood from Leenah. He adds it to one of the slots atop his box.
Shareev wrote:"Doctor. It is possible that these people who I am travelling with are from prior to the End Times, as they have absolutely no knowledge of it or anything that we would consider everyday things."
"Prior to the end times? That seems quite strange, since they are, as far as I can see, organic beings! However, I've heard that the Ancients had the ability to preserve thoughts, memories, and even bodies for later awakening. There are rumors of such people being reawakened in our time, although I've never met one. If your friends are reawakeneds, it will be facinatating to see what my analysis shows. At the very least, keenetheeh material from before the End Times could be very valuable to my research."
Shareev wrote:"Is it possible that mauthasguns could have been happening prior to End Times, since Aeless is from the same time as the rest?"
Dr. Zeus frowns, "As I said, I am not certain of all of the sources of mauthasgun. Certainly there's no record of wild mauthasgun during the time of the Ancients. There is a popular theory, however, that the elemental factors that cause mauthasgun are, in fact, the result of Ancient advancements, set loose upon Perearth by the catastrophies of the End Times. So perhaps these factors existed prior to the End Times, and mauthasgun would have been possible, even though we have no record of it."
Oldin wrote:"Perhaps they are the same. If that is the case, then we had many words for mauthasguns. In addition to elves, we had orcs, dwarves, goblinoids, halflings, gnomes, gnolls, kobolds, and a whole manner of other creatures. Each group tended to its own. Perhaps during one of the ages that we missed, these groups began intermingling. Perhaps the strange combinations that you notice are the mixing of bloodlines. When you mix them enough, who knows which parts of which race you will have!"
Dr. Zeus looks at Oldin quizzically, but says nothing in response to this.
Aeless wrote:"I am curious as to what Age is this now?"
Dr. Zeus barely turns from his device to answer this, "Here in Sanctuary we call this the Gamma Age. I imagine others out there have their own terms for modern days, but Gamma Age serves as well as any."

Now Dr. Zeus' attention is completely focused on his device. "Let's see what we have here, now, shall we?"

"This is Oldin. Hmmm. Quite normal, not Fars-Theen, but there's no evidence of mauthayken exposure. Very healthy and similar to samples of other non Fars-Theen I've collected from Nauthun. Still useful to add to the teethay set for ensuring variation in future generations here in Sanctuary."

"Now for Aeless." He takes some time studying the patterns displayed on the device. "Oh my. I haven't seen this before. Clear markers of enhancement and differentiation. But no sign of environmental mauthasgun. No broken strings. If this is inherited mauthasgun, it's many generations old! How very odd." He looks at Oldin, "Maybe you're right ... but ... this will require much study to understand."

Dr. Zeus thinks for a brief time, then manipulates the box again, "Okay, Vulan. Yes, similar to Oldin. No evidence of current mauthasgun ... wait, what's this? Oh dear." He looks at Vulan with concern, "Sir, you have some sort of mauthaykeneeg agent present in your blood! I've not seen a blood-borne mauthaken before!" He ponders, "This is very odd. Usually exposure occurs and keenetheeh changes begin immediately, with no agent left behind. This appears to be dormant." He frowns, "I have no idea what this will do to you if it becomes active."

"Let me move on to Leenah while I ponder this ... Oh dear. It's the same! Leenah, you have this same blood-borne mauthaken!" He turns and stares at both Leenah and Vulan in turn. "Can either of you tell me, what have you done that the other three have not? It could be very helpful, possibly we can identify an new source of mauthasgun I wasn't aware of before."
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev takes the water from the Apothecary and listens to Dr. Zeus's explanation of the blood he has drawn.
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

"Vulan, were you injured by those were-beasts we fought? I know you were Aeless, as was Esias..." Leenah comments looking at the others. "Before we went into the cave and awoke here..."
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin shakes his head and says, "That's right! I was going to try to find belladonna, but it is far to late now. Before we 'went to sleep', or whatever it is that happened to us, we fought our way through humans tainted with a partially animal form. These creatures are known as lycanthropes, and their attacks can spread their affliction. I did not mention it because I did not want to worry anyone. I do possess the means to cure this affliction, however it does not always work. During the three nights of the full moon, all of my group who were afflicted will undergo drastic transformations, becoming animals each of the three nights. During one of those three nights, I have the ability to cure them. Once I have done what I must do, it is their own willpower which must fight off the disease."
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

[ooc - I wasn't playing Vulan at that time, and I have no desire to go looking back into old posts to find out - was Vulan damaged in that manner? - ]

Vulan looks at the Doctor and shrugs. "I'm not sure I understand what you mean by mauthasgun - in blood or otherwise. If you're able to look at your machine and see lycanthropy in our blood or 'enhancements' that comes from having partially elven blood, then I am impressed, but what does that mean or do for any of us? Can you help us remove the disease? Perhaps you have this belladonna that my people called Wolve's Bane and can see what it does when it interacts with the mauthasgun in our blood. It might even be you can use it to help others in here be rid of any unfavorable 'enhancements.'"
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sunbolt wrote:[ooc - I wasn't playing Vulan at that time, and I have no desire to go looking back into old posts to find out - was Vulan damaged in that manner? - ]

Vulan looks at the Doctor and shrugs. "I'm not sure I understand what you mean by mauthasgun - in blood or otherwise. If you're able to look at your machine and see lycanthropy in our blood or 'enhancements' that comes from having partially elven blood, then I am impressed, but what does that mean or do for any of us? Can you help us remove the disease? Perhaps you have this belladonna that my people called Wolve's Bane and can see what it does when it interacts with the mauthasgun in our blood. It might even be you can use it to help others in here be rid of any unfavorable 'enhancements.'"
Vulan was hit by claws 6 times
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin shakes his head and frowns, "I am afraid that in my knowledge, belladonna is only useful within an hour of being struck by the creature. Perhaps the professor has found additional uses for it after a longer time, but by my knowledge, it will do nothing at this point."

valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless laughs, "Dr. Zeus, I'm quite young compared to some of my people in Elsenwood. Now for these things you're talking about maybe someone maybe able to procure a spell to rid of the disease. What do think, Oldin?"

Aeless seem to calm down from his little laughter, "Now, what do you mean this is the Gamma Age? I've never heard of it before nor the End of Times. All, I remember was that we passed the Ayves Santuary Lake a couple of weeks ago and entered Tharbia to help a friend in need. Then there was an explosion from someone striking something. Lo and behold we met Shareev and his party."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin shrugs, "From what we learned from Sam Tinker, this area does not use much magic. My own detection spell indicated that, as well. My Remove Curse spell has a chance to remove the disease, but only after the change has occurred during one of the nights of the full moon. Whatever devices the good professor possesses might be able to remove the problem, but as we found out earlier, it will be done without magic."

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Taking the cylinder from Apothecary, Shareev immediately recognizes that there is a trigger atop the cylinder. Pressing it causes part of the top of the cyliner to evaporate, allowing access to the contents. A taste reveals that the contents are exactly as advertised: water, sparkling, with a hint of lemon.

Dr. Zeus listens to much of your conversation with what seems to be a mixture of interest, amusement, and confusion. Ultimately, he says, "Yes, mauthand beasts can be a source of mauthasguns. And it's quite possible that certain of these beasts could bear a resemblance to the mythological lycanthrope ..."

"As the End Times began, the Ancients were quite clever at creating machines and creatures for use as weapons." He shakes his head. "I'm certain they could have created a war beast inspired by the fable of lycanthopy, if just for the fear factor. So, if you are reawakened, perhaps that's what you encountered."

"As for helping you with the affliction ... As I said, I have not yet discovered a reliable way to reverse existing mauthasguns. However, since this is a blood-borne peeulukeeh agent and currently dormant, it's possible we can eradicate it before it does its dirty work. What do you think Apothecary?"

The Apothecary rolls on its tracks over to Dr. Zeus' device. A cord extends from its side and attaches itself to the box. After a few moments, Apothecary speaks, "Yes, I can manufacture something that will destroy the agent in blood. It may have side effects, though."

The symbols on the front of the box shift and change and Dr. Zeus examines them. He announces, "What Apothecary proposes will eliminate the blood-borne mauthaken. But the cure is itself a mauthaken. A more standard mauthaken than this blood-borne one. If you take this cure, and are unable to resist its mauthakeneetheh propoerties, you could develop a mauthasgun, probably within 24 hours. What mauthasgun that could be is unpredictable, but won't be the same as what the blood-borne agent would cause. If the intent of the agent is to transform you into a 'lycanthrope' war machine, Apothecary's cure could be preferable." He looks around at you.

Apothecary unplugs from the box and says, "Greetings customers! Can I interest you in a refreshing anti-lycanthropy tonic?"

As you consider your response, Dr. Zeus motions to Shareev. When Shareev approaches, he whispers something to him.

Then there's an interruption: the disembodied voice speaks out of nowhere, "Dr. Zeus, pardon the interruption. Jeemi's gone and injured himself again. His parents will be bringing him down shortly."
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Mutation??? Never heard of such, lycantrophy is a war machine type? Strange these times, and anyone else uses magic these days? Maybe we can help the boy a bit. Is Apothecary a golem/construct?" as he watches the tin can move about unlike anything he's seen before.

"Sounds like we can wait till he changes and just Cure him then, Oldin?" suggests the half-elf.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin nods, "Yes, Aeless. It appears that you now have a choice. You can take the anti-lycanthropy tonic or you can wait until you change into a lycanthrope and I would attempt to remove the curse. Only the strongest of wills can recover, even with my aid. So if you are concerned, you may wish to take the tonic, accepting whatever side-effects it may have.

"Dr. Zeus, I can aid Jeemi, if you would like." Oldin pulls the wand from his belt. "With a touch of this, the boy will be as good as new."

valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Well, according to him." motioning to Dr. Zeus, "Am fine or alright, it is the rest am concerned about due to the concerned tone of Dr. Zeus."

"Throughout history it is known that first came dragons, then elves, then dwarves, then the rest of us including humans followed." as Aeless expands about the word Old from Dr. Zeus' statement.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev whispers back to the Dr, seemingly confused about where the conversation is going.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"All, I'm saying is that where did my people go?" asks Aeless.

"And this science thingy, is that alchemy?" continues the half-elf.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin shakes his head. "No, Aeless. Alchemy still uses magic. I confirmed back in Nauthan that these devices utilize no magic at all. I do not comprehend the nature of these devices, but whatever powers them, it is not magic."

Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

"Dr. Zeus can you tell me about the End Times as you call them?" Leenah asks softly her lightly green tinged right hand rubbing her left almost nervously.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Apothecary continues to pester Vulan and Leenah, "Can I interest you in a refreshing anti-lycanthropy tonic?"

Dr. Zeus merely shrugs at Shareev's whispered response. As Oldin and Aeless discuss dragons and magic, he looks at them both like they are crazy. When Oldin offers assistance, showing the wand, Dr. Zeus looks at him skeptically and responds, "I'm sure whatever Jeemi's done to himself is not particularly serious and I can handle it without your assistance."

When Leenah asks about the End Times, he answers, "I am no historian, but the End Times were caused by a war between many factions in the Ancient Society. I do not know what started this war, but I am certain that the loss of faith in Meeher's scriptures among so many of the Ancients contributed to the destruction and chaos that followed. Great war machines, mechanical and otherwise, roamed the land and horrific weapons rained destruction from the sky. Ultimately, the war led to the demise of most of the faithless Ancients, the loss of so many of their advances, and transformed the face of all of Perearth."

"Only the founders of Sanctuary, and other places like it, were wise enough to retreat to safety during the End Times. So it is that we have retained many Ancient advances and maintained our faith in Meeher."

He sighs, "In any case, I thank you for your contributions to my research, but it would probably be best to have a little peace and quiet when Jeemi's parents get here, so that I can concentrate on helping him."

He speaks to no one in particular, "Sanctuary, you said these people came here for rest and guidance. I'm done with my need for them. Can you direct them to wherever it is you wanted them to go next?"
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

Vulan accepts the "Anti-Lycanthrope" drink. - Presses the trigger as he saw the others do earlier and drinks it down in one drought.

"Are you sure you don't want to let my blood again in a few minutes, to see how this drink affected it and what mauthegen I might have gotten, Doctor?"
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin squints angrily at the doctor's incredulity. "I am seeing a pattern here. Just because you do not possess magic abilities, you scoff at my purported abilities. Perhaps Apothecary would like some water. Would you like to see me offer my water to Apothecary?"

Oldin casts Create Water directly over Apothecary's head and walks out in a huff.

Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah watches as Vulan takes the potion, choosing to take her own chances. As Oldin creates water over Apothecary's head she bites her lip to keep from giggling and steps out after him.
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

"Don't mind him. He's arrogant. When you fail to simply bow to the idea that he knows everything that's best - he gets very angry. None the less, you should know that magic is real - or was real. He can make things happen magically, it was common where we came from - or when we came from.

"In fact, we're here because Mr. I know what's best without ever asking anyone used some magic sphere he didn't understand in a place of great power at the height of a bloodritual - it knocked us out and brought us here - or maybe just knocked us out for the length of time between then and now. There may or may not be a way back, but he doesn't know - and that might be the only thing he's ever admitted to not knowing when dealing with magic. That's why we're so clueless as to the history of your world - it seems we've been asleep or displaced for an entire age. Either that or brought into one of those side by side worlds where magic hasn't been discovered but exists next to what you call science.

"Tell me, is there anyone here who knows the ancient stories? Who can teach us about what you call history - and what we fear is the time we missed because Oldin threw that damned sphere?
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev looks on in astonishment at Oldin's actions.

"My apologies, Dr Zeus. Perhaps it is best if we left now."
Shareev wil wait until Vulan and Aeless are ready to go and then leave with them.

OOC: Didn't Jiam throw the orb??
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

klakxor wrote:Shareev looks on in astonishment at Oldin's actions.

"My apologies, Dr Zeus. Perhaps it is best if we left now."
Shareev wil wait until Vulan and Aeless are ready to go and then leave with them.

OOC: Didn't Jiam throw the orb??
ooc: actually, it leaped from Jiam's sashes as if it had a will of it's own, but from Vulan's point of view... that's a whole other story. Everything happened very fast, and Oldin's been all - do what I want and ask questions later, if at all - so Vulan's kinda done with the patience for the hypocrite thing.
OUT OF CHARACTER

valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Well, if you have no need of me, Dr. Zeus, I'll take your house's kind hospitality on and about rest and relaxation." as Aeless awaits with the rest, "Oh, and thank you."
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Vulan drinks the contents of the brightly colored canister, finding that it tastes very sweet. There is no obvious or immediate effect.
Vulan wrote:"Are you sure you don't want to let my blood again in a few minutes, to see how this drink affected it and what mauthegen I might have gotten, Doctor?"
Dr. Zeus responds, "I am certain I know how Apothecary's tonic will interact with the invading mauthegen I detected. Should you develop any side effects, however, I would be interested in another sample at that time. I imagine it won't be until tomorrow, at least."

At this moment, Oldin casts his spell. There is a faint static buzz as water drenches Apothecary and spills all over the floor. Apothecary does not react at all. Dr. Zeus opens his mouth wide in shock, and appears about to say something angry, but Oldin and Leenah are already halfway out the door.

Dr. Zeus simply nods as Shareev and Vulan apologize. He then says aloud, "Sanctuary, I'm going to need someone here with a mop."
Vulan wrote:"Tell me, is there anyone here who knows the ancient stories? Who can teach us about what you call history - and what we fear is the time we missed because Oldin threw that damned sphere?"
"Yes, there are several here who can help you with that. Sanctuary can direct you to them." He gestures toward the door and turns his back on you, walking toward one of his cabinets and beginning preparations to receive his patient.

Outside, Oldin and Leenah hear the disembodied voice, "I'm going to have to ask that you behave, please. I would prefer not to have my children spending their time cleaning up messes like the one you just made in Dr. Zeus' laboratory."

Assuming Shareev, Vulan, and Aeless join Oldin and Leenah outside, the voice speaks again, "Now, where would you like to go next? I can provide food and a place to sleep if you are ready for that now."
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

"Thank you Sanctuary, that might be best." Leenah responds quietly.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin sighs, "I apologize. I am a little agitated. I haven't eaten much recently. In the past four or five days, I think I have only eaten a bowl of soup. I will clean up the mess myself. It was my fault. After that, I would appreciate food, please."

Oldin returns to the lab, looks at Dr. Zeus, and says, "I apologize for my outburst. I have not eaten much in the past week, and I suppose it has made me a bit edgy." Oldin casts Prestidigitation and whisks the water off the ground.

Return to “Perearth: Archives”