Meeting Dr. Zeus [Aeless, Vulan, Oldin, Shareev, and Leenah]

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Meeting Dr. Zeus [Aeless, Vulan, Oldin, Shareev, and Leenah]

Post by patransom »

There are now two active threads for the two halves of the party. This one is for those of you who stowed your weapons and entered the inner door

After stowing your weapons in lockers, you move around to the opposite side of the vestibule where the other door awaits. The door slides up and opens the instant you approach. Beyond it is a small square room with doors to the left and right. On the opposite side of the room are two sets of stairs that descend down into the ground. These aren't normal stairs, however, as they seem to be moving by themselves! One set moves up, the other down.

The voice says, "If you would please take the eshayleethaur down, Dr. Zeus is anxious to meet you." After some possible confusion about what the voice is talking about, you approach the stairs that move down. As you do so, there is the sound of a bell and the door on the left opens. A teenage boy smiles at you as he pushes a cart out of that door and past you into the vestibule.

Assuming you get over your amazement at the moving stairs and choose to stand on them, they carry you down into the ground quite a long distance. They emerge into a very large domed cavern, which is lit from above, bright as day. Within the cavern, closest to the stairs, are two dozen metal buildings, essentially a village. At the opposite side, you can see a lake, and what appears to be farmland: a corn field, a vinery, and a mushroom patch.

As you step off the moving stairs, the voice says, "Welcome to the New Holy City. Dr. Zeus is in the building just ahead and to your left. Have a nice day."
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev turns to Aeless. "A scientist is a man who studies and does experiments to collect information which can predict how things will happen or how they work. There are many different types of science. Biology, chemistry, technology, bio-technology, nano-technology, and a whole slew of others. Now that I think about it, Dr. Zeus may be a doctor of sociology. It would be interesting to meet him."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin's stomach rumbles at the sight of farmland. "This Dr. Zeus sounds like a diviner. Is Sanctuary at all related to the Gnosophim? That would make a great deal of sense. Is that the religion they practice? I am quite fond of the gnosophim faith."
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev, unphased by the moving stairs or the underground cavern, looks to Oldin. "I do not know what gnosophism is. Sounds like a strange fetish and I highly doubt that any of the people here in sanctuary practice any fetishes. There are very few religions that i know of that are actually practiced."

Shareev takes out one of his smoking sticks and starts chewing on the end of it, the sound of Oldin's stomach rumbling reminding him that he hasn't eaten much in the last hour or so.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin looks at Shareev as he eats a smoke stick. "May I try one?" They certainly look tastier than trail rations.

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev looks oddly at Oldin, "Trust me, I really do not think you want one. Besides, I don't think they'll let us smoke down here. As far as the people here, I believe they worship Meeher."

Shareev finishes his smoke stick and pulls out another one to chew on. Reaching down, he grabs a handful of dirt and eats it as well. "That should calm me down a little bit."
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah stands watching the moving stairs a moment then steps onto them after Shareev. She looks around her eyes alert as she looks at the buildings and farmland.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

Scientist huh? Sounds like a one of those alchemists back home. Always doing something dangerous trying to figure out what potions mix with what.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless seems a bit edgy, as he has given the fact of ignorance from the weaponries and social contact to the villagers other than the party.

Looking surprised, as he steps on the moving stairs along with the rest, he asks, "I have been wondering as of latel. Where are the trees? Why is it barren as a desert outside for miles as my eyes can see?"
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Assuming you follow the voice's directions to the building where this Dr. Zeus resides ...

As you approach the building, the metal door slides upwards to allow you to enter. Inside you find a medium sized room, bright white and incredibly clean. Around the perimeter of the room are white cabinets of table height with many doors in the front. The tops of the cabinets are covered with neatly-arranged vials and beakers and various boxes of unknown function.

As you enter the room, something that looks like a man-sized metal cylinder on tracks rolls toward you [see picture below]. It is covered with brightly colored runes and designs. As it approaches, a picture of a mildly attractive person of uncertain gender appears in a panel on its front. A happy voice comes from the cylinder, "Greetings customers! Can I interest you in a refreshing beverage?"

An arm of some oddly flexible material quickly extends from the side of the cylinder. At its end, the arm holds a small metal container, also cylindrical and covered in brightly colored runes and designs, similar to those on the big cylinder. The big cylinder seems to be offering the smaller cylinder to Leenah.

You hear another voice from behind the tracked cylinder, "Don't bother them Apothecary! They're here to see me." A man steps away from one of the cabinets behind the cylinder to where you can see him. He is dressed in a long white coat, skinny, bald, and with very pale skin.

"Hello," says the man, "I am Dr. Zeus. If you don't mind, I'd like to draw some blood from each of you. For my research, you see!"
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah looks at the cylinder than at the man. "Draw some blood? What exactly does that mean?" She steps back a little startled by the cylinder.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev responds to the tracked cylinder. "I think a nice glass of water would be nice"

Turning to the doctor, he continues, "I am Shareev from Nauthan. It would seem my friends are not familiar with these things for some reason. I have no problem giving you a sample of my blood, however I am more then curious as to what you would need it for."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin smiles at the rolling construct. The Magic Mouth that appeared is far more sophisticated. It must be a spell that Oldin has never seen before. Perhaps some form of custom illusion spell.

When Oldin hears the request for blood, Oldin furrows his brow, thinking. Blood... that is used for a couple of different spells. Obviously Stone to Flesh, and I believe it is also used for... hmm... guards and wards. Yes, I believe those are the only spells I can think of that require blood. "What are you planning to do with our blood? Are you attempting to cure petrification, or are you preparing some sort of defenses?"

Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

Vulan looks at the man and manages to keep any menace at all from his voice:
"There are two reasons to spill blood - in battle, or to torture. We recently watched someone try to blood let a child to death - or near death to heal him he claimed. If you want my blood, let's get swords and see if you can take it from me in an honorable battle."
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless looks about and to the contraption that arrived at their presence, "Is this some sort of a being or an armour?"
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin scowls at Vulan, then looks down to his book, and says, [Draconic]"He should keep his mouth shut about things he doesn't know. Blood is used as a material component for Stone to Flesh and Guards and Wards spells. I just mentioned it, too..." Oldin pauses for a moment, then continues. "I agree. If he wants to search for his 'fair fight' he should not be associated with this group. I did give him the option to leave, but he decided to tag along. So long as he is with us, he must treat others with respect or not travel with us anymore."[/Draconic]

Oldin looks up at Vulan and says in Newspeak, "Learn your place. This man is a scholar, not a soldier. There are many uses for blood that a soldier would know nothing about. When we are talking to soldiers, that is your place to speak. For now, keep your mouth shut and let those with learning handle things."

valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Why do you need blood? Are you a fiend of some sort, such as a vampire?" asks Aeless.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Shareev wrote:"I think a nice glass of water would be nice"
The arm that extends from the cylinder immediately retracts, then extends again, holding a small canister very similar to the one it previously held, although bright blue in color. "Water, sparkling, with lemon! Enjoy!" says the face on the cylinder as it extends the smaller cylinder toward Shareev.
Aeless wrote:"Is this some sort of a being or an armour?"
Dr. Zeus replies, "Yes, I suppose you can call Apothecary here a 'sort of a being.' I take it you are not familiar with Seends of his type? No surprise, he's quite advanced! A relic of the time of the Ancients, in fact!"
Leenah wrote:"Draw some blood? What exactly does that mean?"
Shareev wrote:"I have no problem giving you a sample of my blood, however I am more then curious as to what you would need it for."
Oldin wrote:"What are you planning to do with our blood? Are you attempting to cure petrification, or are you preparing some sort of defenses?"
Vulan wrote:"There are two reasons to spill blood - in battle, or to torture. We recently watched someone try to blood let a child to death - or near death to heal him he claimed. If you want my blood, let's get swords and see if you can take it from me in an honorable battle."
Aeless wrote:"Why do you need blood? Are you a fiend of some sort, such as a vampire?"
Dr. Zeus seems a bit taken aback at Vulan's mention of swords and raises his hands, palms forward, "Oh dear! I do not wish to force anyone to do anything! I assure you my intentions are quite noble." He glances at Aeless with a smile that is nearly a laugh, "I am not a vampire."

"Allowing me to draw a tiny bit of your blood will not harm you in any way. It shouldn't even hurt more than a pinprick. Certainly not torture!" he looks at Vulan.

"I was hoping you all would be willing to help with my research, so I suppose an explanation is in order. My purposes are twofold."

"First, I seek an understanding of the nature of mauthasgun. I'm sure you're quite happy with your mauthasguns," he looks pointedly at Shareev and Aeless, "but I'm sure you're aware that not all mauthasguns are positive. By examining the properties of your blood, I hope to someday gain the understanding to prevent or reverse such negative mauthasguns." He looks at Oldin, "So you're quite right sir, I am working on both defenses and cures."

"As for the rest of you, you have no visible signs of mauthasgun, but that doesn't mean you haven't had exposure. Maybe something not visible or that hasn't revealed itself yet. Thus, your blood might still help with the first part of my research."

"If your blood shows no evidence of mauthasgun, it can help with my second purpose. We Faurs-theen here in Sanctuary are few, and as you might expect, there's always the worry of too much inbreeding. Fresh keenetheeh material from your blood can help prevent that, keeping our offspring healthy, but still Faurs-theen. This will be very important when the day comes, as we all know it will, when Meeher returns to bring about the Second Enlightened age: a varied and healthy Faurs-theen population to thrive upon Perearth again!"

"So, as I said, I cannot force any of you to help me. But I do hope you will contribute to my work!" With that, he pulls a tiny cylinder from his belt. On the end of the cylinder is a long thin needle. "Who would like to volunteer?"
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"Since your research is seems fair, although I do not entirely understand what your ends are, I will allow you to draw some blood."

Shareev rolls the sleeve of his shirt up and presents it to the doctor.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin's eyes light up at hearing about all of this research. "May I look at some of your research materials? I am quite schooled in arcana which I believe is from before what you refer to as the First Age. I would like very much to see what sorts of advancements have been made since the era of my schooling. I expect your technique will involve conjuration, and probably a good deal of abjuration, maybe even some transmutation! Please, take as much blood as you like."

Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah considers for a long moment, "All right Dr. Zeus. How do you take our blood?" She asks softly, "What are mauthasguns?" She looks at her slightly green tinted hands and raises a brow trying to understand.
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

"I will bear your bloodrite as well. Though I dare say it has nothing to do with wards or magic. But do tell me, Doctor, do you have one of those fishie things in your ears that lets you understand all languages? If so, please forgive the moron, he seems to think he's in charge and often acts without consulting or knowing what the long term consequences are to his actions. For that matter, please forgive my own gruffness, I've been lied to before on this jaunt, and in matters concerning blood, I thought it best to test the waters a little. You response shows you to be a man of honor, I choose to believe you."
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless seeming relieved of the possibles, "Alright Dr. Zeus, am still a bit confused but lets get this done. Oh, I haven't gotten a semblance to an answer, but do you happen to have a map of the neighboring kingdoms and roads to them?" asks the half-elf.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Shareev wrote:"Since your research is seems fair, although I do not entirely understand what your ends are, I will allow you to draw some blood."

Shareev rolls the sleeve of his shirt up and presents it to the doctor.
Oldin wrote:Please, take as much blood as you like."
Vulan wrote:"I will bear your bloodrite as well."
Aeless wrote:"Alright Dr. Zeus, am still a bit confused but lets get this done."
Dr. Zeus smiles at the four of you who volunteered. He approaches Shareev and pokes him in the crook of the arm with his needle. He was right, the needle doesn't hurt very much at all. The cylinder on the end of the needle fills with a small amount of blood. Dr. Zeus tucks the cylinder into his pocket, pulls out a fresh one, and repeats the process for Oldin, Vulan, and Aeless.
Leenah wrote:"All right Dr. Zeus. How do you take our blood?"
He replies, "As you can see, my dear, I just pull a little out using these seereenks. Doesn't hurt much, does it gentlemen?" He looks at those who've already undergone the process.

"Then I bring it over to my equipment here for analysis," he walks over to one of the cabinets, on top of which is an odd shaped box.

"I really would like some of your blood for analysis, too, since new female keenetheeh material is hard to come by. But I understand if you wish to decline."
Leenah wrote:She asks softly, "What are mauthasguns?"
He looks a bit surprised, "You really don't know? Mauthasgun came about as a result of the terrible End Times. It's why some people, like your friends Shareev and Aeless here, look a bit different than normal humans. Some are born with mauthasguns, we call them Mauthands, but the changes can also occur due to exposure to various things in the environment. I'm not even sure yet what all the triggers are for such spontaneous mauthasguns, but I know there are many."

"As I mentioned, some mauthasguns are beneficial. Maybe you've seen these two do some unusual things? But others can be very harmful. All involve significant change in keenetheeh structure. That's one of the things I study: isolating these changes, and search for ways to prevent or reverse them."
Oldin wrote:"May I look at some of your research materials? I am quite schooled in arcana which I believe is from before what you refer to as the First Age. I would like very much to see what sorts of advancements have been made since the era of my schooling. I expect your technique will involve conjuration, and probably a good deal of abjuration, maybe even some transmutation!"
As he walks toward the odd box on the counter, Dr. Zeus answers, "Of course! It's always good to collaborate with another scholar. Come, have a look!"

He slides each of the cylinders he's collected into slots on top of the box and the front of it lights up, displaying various symbols and patterns. Dr. Zeus begins sliding his fingers across the front of the box, and the symbols and patterns change in response.

Still staring at the box, he speaks to Oldin, "I'm not sure about the terminology you're using, but what you're seeing here is a peeulukeeh and chemical analysis of keenetheeh material at its most basic level. I believe this is Shareev. Yes, it is. I've seen much of this before."

He glances at Shareev, "Very smart fellow, aren't you, Shareev? But always hungry? Not a bad trade-off, I'd say."

He continues looking at the box, "Still, there are some changes here to add to my teethay set. I'll have the hoomfauther record the whole analysis." He pokes the box again.
Vulan wrote:"But do tell me, Doctor, do you have one of those fishie things in your ears that lets you understand all languages?"
Dr. Zeus ignores most of Vulan's comments, but in response to the question, he answers, "What fishie things? Some sort of peeutheh device? I'm afraid I only speak the language we're all speaking here. As far as I know, it's really the only one anyone speaks. Most of the ancient languages having died out, you know."
Aeless wrote:"Oh, I haven't gotten a semblance to an answer, but do you happen to have a map of the neighboring kingdoms and roads to them?"
"I'm afraid I don't. And most of what we have here in Sanctuary is from just before the End Times. Won't help much with the current political and trade situation. We try to stay out of what goes on out there as much as possible. But I can direct you to someone who can show you the old maps we have, if you like ..."

He continues staring intently at the box, manipulating the symbols and patterns now and then with his fingers. "Let's see what we have for the rest of you, now, shall we ..."
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

"I really would like some of your blood for analysis, too, since new female keenetheeh material is hard to come by. But I understand if you wish to decline."
Leenah watches as he preforms the procedure on the others then nods, "All right, I will allow you to draw some of mine."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin marvels at the device. How such a thing could be created without magic. He remembers that everything he is seeing is void of magic, and now, thinking about their current situation, his blood is likely being used for another nonmagical purpose. Things here are so different, like Amon pointed out. Perhaps he needs to view the world as a child would.

Oldin considers his surroundings. His knowledge will not be useful for this type of device.

Oldin shakes his head, "I am realizing now just how different things have become. I am afraid that I understand very little of this device. My studies are apparently rather dated, and some of the advancements of past times have rendered much of what I know to be useless in aiding you. I am still very interested in watching, but I am sadly over my head."

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev stands next to Oldin, "I know many of the tools that the Dr is working with and understand some of what he is doing."

"Doctor. It is possible that these people who I am travelling with are from prior to the End Times, as they have absolutely no knowledge of it or anything that we would consider everyday things. Is it possible that mauthasguns could have been happening prior to End Times, since Aeless is from the same time as the rest?"
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin considers what has been said and adds, "Additionally, Aeless didn't develop mauthasguns. He was born a half-elf. His parents were either half-elves themselves, or one was a full-blooded elf and the other a human. He doesn't look human because he is not human. He will live a great deal longer than humans can."
Last edited by shai-hulud on Fri May 25, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev responds, "I was born with mauthasguns, both of my parents had mauthasguns. Many people also consider that I am not human. Although I doubt I will live to the age that Aeless will, I can eat almost anything. Although I do need to sleep, my mind works at an incredible pace. I would think that Aeless' mauthasguns are a little less evident then mine, but from all that I see, he too is a mauthand, same as I. Perhaps your word for mauthand is elf."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Fixed post above to reflect that Aeless is half-elf.

"Perhaps they are the same. If that is the case, then we had many words for mauthasguns. In addition to elves, we had orcs, dwarves, goblinoids, halflings, gnomes, gnolls, kobolds, and a whole manner of other creatures. Each group tended to its own. Perhaps during one of the ages that we missed, these groups began intermingling. Perhaps the strange combinations that you notice are the mixing of bloodlines. When you mix them enough, who knows which parts of which race you will have!"

Return to “Perearth: Archives”