All together again in the vestibule

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

All together again in the vestibule

Post by patransom »

The floor and benches in the vestibule are hard, but it is surprisingly comfortable to sleep there, not at all cold like it was during the night you spent crossing the Wastelands into Nauthun.

You are awakened by light that you at first assume is sunrise until you remember where you are. The light emanating from the ceiling looks very natural, though. You're not sure what time it is, but you would suspect it to be early morning.

Sanctuary confirms this, "Good morning! Will you be travelling on now or do you require further assistance?"

As you wake up and stretch, considering what to do next in response to Sanctuary's question, you hear a second disembodied voice. This one is Sam Tinker's and comes from Shareev's bracelet:

"Hey Shareev, are you there? The Dudes came back here pretty angry, but Alice and I managed to keep them from tearing the town apart. Half of them left again this morning, but the rest are set up right at our gate and they have a wagon with a haynoon on it. I think they're still assuming you're coming back here. I hope they give up soon. Having them guarding our gate is bad for business."

[After a full night of rest, you are all officially leveled up. Two of you still have leftover injuries: Ruadhnait 2 hp damage, Esias 4 hp damage]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

And the prisoners are awake now, too. Tied up and looking uncomfortable, they stare around at their new location, trying to figure out where they are.
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam begins to stretch and look around, chosing to let another answer the question. He assumed that they would be moving on, but he was not sure what had been learned by the others while seperated. He takes a longer look at Leenah, admiring her curves, until she notices him looking. Then he simply smiles, and nods his head. "Sorry. There was no sunrise available for me to watch."

He stands to start gathering his gear. He does not put on the kel suit, but chooses to go back to his old ways. He does pick up his kuhn, though carefully how he has now been shown, and loads it. He then glances around again as the room slowly comes to life.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev responds to Sam. "Sam, yeah we are here. The folks at Sanctuary were nice enough to let us stay the night. How many Dudes are still at the gate and do you know which direction the others left in?"

In response to Sanctuary, "Good morning Sanctuary. We will most likely be moving on, but first we need to decide where to go. Please ask Dr. Zeus if he needs anything else from us."

Turning back to the others, "Nauthan is under watch still, so it is most likely not safe for us to go there right away. We now know where their main encampment is, and since it appear we are all rested and healed up we could try a direct assault on them. What do you guys think?"
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

"Sorry, couldn't hear you over my stretching. Did you just say Try a direct assault on their base? I thought they outnumbered us like 10 to 1, right? Do we still have the thing that showed us their base?"

"I wonder if Sam could come up with something to Jam the things they communicate with, then we could hit the few at the gate? Well... But then the others might notice the lack of talking and come runnign back."
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

beltzclan wrote:He takes a longer look at Leenah, admiring her curves, until she notices him looking. Then he simply smiles, and nods his head. "Sorry. There was no sunrise available for me to watch."
Leenah awakens rapidly, becoming alert with the change of light. Stretching she rises, reaching upwards and moving to loosen muscles. Noticing Jiam's stare she chuckles and arches a brow then begins to gather her belongings, beginning to slip back into armor and strap on her blades. She listens as she looks to the others.
"Sanctuary, might it be possible to acquire some breakfast before we leave?"
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

tdsprouse wrote:"Sorry, couldn't hear you over my stretching. Did you just say Try a direct assault on their base? I thought they outnumbered us like 10 to 1, right? Do we still have the thing that showed us their base?"

"I wonder if Sam could come up with something to Jam the things they communicate with, then we could hit the few at the gate? Well... But then the others might notice the lack of talking and come runnign back."
IF most of them are guarding the town - this might be a good time for a more fair fight at their home base.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless agrees, "I say that is a clear cut plan about hitting their main camp and surprising them." as he pulls some waterskin and drinks from it.

"By the way Sanctuary, would you all mind, if we refill our waterskins here?" asks the half-elf.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin ignores everyone and begins studying his tome. As he does so, he casts a spell, and his prayerbook grows wings! Oldin smiles and asks his prayerbook, "What is your name?" It flies around, and Oldin says, "Very well. You are Gramzon, my friend. May I study from your pages?"

Gramzon, Oldin's flying prayerbook, flutters down to land on his lap and flips itself open. For the next two hours, Oldin reads, tuning out all distractions.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

"I agree on the direct assault if we can confirm that a large number are at the gate. They would never suspect that. Plus if we can manage to block their talking over a great distance things at the the moment of the attack, we would not have to worry about them comming back to soon. When they lost that ability, those at the gate would then likely split up. Some would stay, and only a part of their number would return to investigate. It is not a bad idea."
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

"Well, i guess it doest sound too bad since we can determine where they are weak. I'll just need a spot to set up, and i can take them out one by one. Actually, if i can get enough distance on them, i might be ablt to take out a few before they even know we're there, then a couple more if they come out for us."
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

"Sanctuary is there a place where I can practice with my khun? Or is that against the rules here? And what about those story tellers?"
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

"What about their wagons?" Ruadhnait asks, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "If we could capture one of them, we might be able to get through the gate and attack from inside."
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

"We should scout their base, and make our plans then."
Image R.I.P. Brand
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

"A wise choice. Let's go scout their base before making a final descision." Jiam finishes packing his gear and prepares to leave.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[For Vulan and Oldin, we will assume that Sanctuary responded to your requests for additional information/guidance last night and you handled that before retiring for the evening. To avoid slowing down the rest of the group, I'd like to play through that information gathering in separate threads for each of you. I'd prefer threads to PMs on the assumption that you will share what you learn with everyone else and because it's just plain easier.]
Shareev wrote:"Sam, yeah we are here. The folks at Sanctuary were nice enough to let us stay the night. How many Dudes are still at the gate and do you know which direction the others left in?"
Sam replies, "There are four of them at our gate, with their wagon and the haynoon. The other eight headed west. I've been listening to their wave and they are going back to their base. When you didn't return here last night, their bosses instructed most of them to come on home, leaving the group of four here to keep an eye out for you. They haven't talked about what they're planning next, but it seems these four have settled in to stay a while."
Shareev wrote:"Good morning Sanctuary. We will most likely be moving on, but first we need to decide where to go. Please ask Dr. Zeus if he needs anything else from us."
After a few moments, Sanctuary answers, "Dr. Zeus says he has all he needs for now. He asks that you come back if Vulan develops any mauthasguns so he can take a sample." [Vulan made his save, though, so that won't happen]
Leenah wrote:"Sanctuary, might it be possible to acquire some breakfast before we leave?"
"Certainly. I'll have someone bring some up … Not Jeemi, though."
Aeless wrote:"By the way Sanctuary, would you all mind, if we refill our waterskins here?"
"Certainly. If you proceed around to the other side of the vestibule, you'll find a spigot there. Take all of the water you need." Proceeding as directed, Aeless does eventually find a small metal tube protruding from the interior wall of the place, near the floor. Atop the tube is a nob. After a brief examination, Aeless discovers that turning the nob makes water come out of the tube, so he fills his waterskin.
Vulan wrote:"Sanctuary is there a place where I can practice with my khun? Or is that against the rules here?"
"I'd rather you do that outside, please. Your kuhn probably won't damage my walls, but I don't want to take the chance."

After a few minutes of waiting, a pale, slender man, one of the same who served you food last night, appears pushing a cart full of food. While you eat breakfast, the following facts occur to you: the Dudes' base is approximately 65 miles to the west of here, which will take you three days. There are 12 of you, including the prisoners, and, amongst you, you have 17 trail rations (assuming Vulan and Thanis decide to share). Aeless mentions that you don't need to count him, but it's still a little more than a day's worth of food for the rest of the group. Thanis and Shareev point out that there are small critters in the wasteland that make for good hunting, if anyone's skilled at catching such creatures. Those of you with experience at that sort of thing (Esias, Ruadhnait, Vulan, and Thanis) are confident that you could keep the group provisioned during your travels, but it will slow you down, making it six days to the Dudes' base.

[I'll be out of town all next week, so the next validation will occur on Friday one week from today. In the meantime, you can all agree on a plan for what to do next and amuse yourselves with general roleplay. If you decide to set out for the base, nothing will happen for at least the first day of travel, so assume you've set up camp somewhere in the wastelands]
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

When Sam answers and says that there are only four at the gate, Jiam chimes in. "That would be a much better target. I am not sure what a haynoon is. Sounds big and nasty, though. If we could take those 4, we could take their wagons and their... Hay Noon... and use it for our own. that would limit the time it would take to reach their base. Our battle would well be through before reinforcements would arrive." Jiam scratches his chin. "Of course it could be a trap." he thinks about that a second, then shrugs and digs into some breakfast.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"If there are only four, we may be able to catch them off guard. Thanis is pretty good with his reeble and should be able to pick at least one or two off from a distance. If we can make sure to avoid letting them use the haynoon, it would be quite advantageous. As far as what a haynoon is, it is kind of like a khun, however much larger and mounted onto a wagon. It very very destructive and I would not want it set off in or near the town."

Shareev sits on a bench and looks around, trying to find any kind of gizmo or device he can tinker with.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Thanis follows Aeless to fill his water skin, and offers to fill anyone else's while he's going.

When he gets back he eats some breakfast, nodding in agreement with hitting the seemingly weaker target.

"How many of them do you think would have one of those talking devices? I could either try to disable that thing, or take out whoever has it."

After everyone has eaten, Thanis fills a plate for Oldin and sets it near him. He's noticed Oldin gets kinda grumpy without food.

"What are we to do with these two?" Gesturing to the prisoners. "Maybe we should cover their heads for a while when we leave here, if they dont already know where it is. "
If there is any food left, he will take a quick plate to each of the prisoners. If their hands are tied behind their backs, he asks Shareev to cover them and either he or someone better with knots/rope can re-tie in front so they can eat. "They'll need the energy for the walk ahead. "
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah offers, if necessary, "I can undo and redo their bindings, Thanis. And I would agree it might be wise to blindfold them for a while."

Use rope: 14
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

"I agree, this is a good opportunity to take out a small force before dealing with the larger base. However, is there a danger of bringing the Dude's wrath upon the town, if we ambush them within it's borders?"

"Perhaps, it's time, we see if the townspeople are willing to fight for their own freedom?"
Image R.I.P. Brand
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

"Hmmm. I agree. Though I would not attempt to contact them and ask them. I say we take out the four. Then once victorious, we rally them to our cause. Or rather their own cause. Then if we were successfull in destroying communications before the attack, we will have some time before they investigate the silence. We can set up the town defensively.

Hmmm...

Half of us leave town and set up an ambush piont on the approach. We spring the trap, but then allow ourselves to be routed and forced into a retreat. They chase us into the town where we spring the second trap. With, hopefully, the support of the town. We decimate them. Now those that would be left, become wary on coming after us. After all, we would have gained more of their own weapons to use against them.

We decide what to do afterwards."

Jiam laughs out loud. "Sounds simple enough doesn't it? Wish it were my own plan, but I have seen almost the exact same plan done before. In that one, though, the townspeople painted the town red. The color of blood. Left a sign out front that said only death awaited those that came to do harm."

Jiam takes another bite of breakfast.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"We'll hunt and best to skirmish our numbers to not have a clump of us walking altogether, but the prisoners are more of a hindrance to us rather than a help. Better make some sort of decision about them, before we do get into details that will end up being fouled by them." as Aeless sips a cup of water.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"I have not hidden my feelings about what to do with dudes, however these prisoners belong to Jiam and Vulan. I think that we would be best to hit the four from 2 seperate angles if we are to attack them. With only one Haynoon, they will be less likely target our entire group."
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

"Agreed. And i dont know the range on one of those Haynoons, but i am pretty effective within 135 yds. I could probably hit them within 300 yds, but the accuracy drops a bit that far out."

"So, if i could get just outside the range of their weapon, i could snipe 'em all day. Though, even if i am within their range, i doubt they'll see me."

"I would propose that i setup abotu 125 yds out straight out from Nauthun, and group 1 heads good distance to my left, and group 2 heads to my right. each for about 10 minutes. then turn and start heading to town. after 11 minutes, i start pickin off the dudes starting with the one on the Haynoon, then the groups move in.

Edit: i realized i had typed that both group were heading to my left. 8)
Last edited by tdsprouse on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

"As good as any plan I have heard. But now what to do with two. Not crazy about just killing them like this..." Jiam glares at the dudes.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Thanis stands guard as Leenah reties the prisoner's bonds in a position where they can eat, eat somewhat clumsily, but still bring food to their mouths.

Oldin quietly studies his prayerbook while Thanis, Aeless, Jiam, and Shareev discuss a strategy for assualting the Dudes guarding the town gate. It appears the four have come up with a strategy and their discussion turns to how to handle the prisoners, just as Oldin finishes his study.

Noting that their fates are now the topic of the conversation, both prisoners stop eating. One man glares silently, his lips twisted in a snarl, while the other, Mayhru, looks nervous. Mayhru volunteers, "Look, I really don't want to cause any more trouble for you guys. Just let me go and I promise you'll never see me again. If you give me some food and a weapon, I'll head south. I hear there are other settlements that way and I'll be out of your hair for good."

The other man gives Mayhru a look of disgust, but then says, "Yeah, me too."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

As Oldin finishes his study, he turns to Jiam and says, "My friend, you may be interested to know that there is a temple here devoted to Mycr, and all of the denizens here follow his faith!"
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev looks at the two in disgust. "I will defer to my companions decision. If it were up to me, you would already be dead. If they decide to let you go, do not come back. If you do, I will find something among the ancient ruins to make your lives a living nightmare."

Returning to the conversation, "I would not trust them with weapons, and I fear they may choose to attack Sanctuary if they return to the Dudes."
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

Vulan speaks up "We're not going to kill them unarmed. If you want them dead, give them a sword and they can try to best me in combat, one at a time. If they best me or kill me, they go free - if not I will kill them and we'll be done with this. However, I will not sit here and watch you murder another prisoner."

"Unless someone else has a better idea?"

Return to “Perearth: Archives”