Prayer Booth #1 [Oldin]

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Prayer Booth #1 [Oldin]

Post by patransom »

Oldin wrote:"Sanctuary, I was told that I could receive some spiritual counselling and assistance in geneological research. Is that offer still valid?"
"Of course. The easiest way to do both would be for you to go to the Chapel." Sanctuary directs you from the mess hall to another building, which, from the outside, looks like every other building in the cavern.

Inside, however, it's a bit different. Although the walls, ceiling, and floor are made of metal, the interior is quite comfortable and almost familiar. The floor is covered by a thick carpet with intricate designs. Upon the walls hang tapestries with pictures of plants and trees. The style of tapestries is very similar to those you remember in the fine homes of nobles in Tak Shire! You haven't seen anything similar since you came here, no artwork at all in fact.

Along one wall of the Chapel are a series of wooden booths. The door of one of them slides open and Sanctuary says, "Go on in and we'll try to answer your questions."

Assuming you enter the booth, you find it just large enough for two people to sit facing each other, with a bench on each side. Taking a seat on one of the benches, the door shuts and a man appears sitting on the opposite bench! The man is elderly, with deeply tanned skin, and wears flowing white robes with herbal patterns. You recognize this as the traditional attire of a Mycretian Prophet. The man is semi-transparent and slightly glowing, like a ghost or an illusion that you've detected as such.

The Prophet apparition says, "Greetings, my son. How can I assist you?"
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin gasps in shock as the apparition appears. This must be a divine spirit, remaining in this plane due to his overwhelming sense of duty to his fellow man! Oldin immediately begins a prayer in Celestial, as best as he can remember it, praising Mycr.

[Language=Celestial]All praise the one god, Mycr. May his peace shine upon the five kingdoms. May his holy rule guide the unfaithful. In his glory, we are sheltered. In his mercy, all are saved.[/language]

As his prayer completes, he looks up at the apparition and begins explaining the events that have transpired and his crisis of faith. [language=Newspeak]"Father, I am a humble priest devoted to the teachings of Seker, but I greatly respect Mycr, the one god! My troubles began when my dearest friend, Shah Leayh, told me of his son's disappearance. You see, I am the boy's godfather. I care so deeply for the boy's safety that I vowed to do everything in my power to locate him.

"Shah Leayh is a great wizard with close relations with the Gnosophim. I have studied some of their teachings, as well. When they explained that they had located my godson, and that he had been kidnapped by a vile worshipper of the dark god Natch Ur, I accepted the responsibility of finding the boy. I put together a group to travel from the Viridian kingdom into northern Tharbria, where the cultist was performing a dark ritual of bloodletting. One of my travelling companions, Jiam, is a monk devoted to the glory of Mycr. He is currently resting in the vestibule outside.

"The other monks of his temple gave him an orb that would disrupt the unholy worshipper of Natch Ur from his demonic powers. We arrived in the middle of the cultist's ritual. We were able to disrupt it using the orb. With a great flash, we were all knocked unconscious. When we awoke, my godson was safe, but the cultist escaped. Since we awoke, we have been told that several thousand years might have passed. I am unsure what happened, but I theorize that we were placed in some form of stasis. I have no idea what happened to the Prelate, Phatel Rablim, but he is probably searching for more villainous acts to perform.

"Arriving in a strange land, we made two new companions, Shareev and Thanis. They are muthaunds who have aided in keeping my godson safe. They brought us to a place called Nauthan where we were introduced to a brilliant wiz--I mean--scientist named Sam Tinker. He explained some of what happened, but because he has not studied history to a great extent, he is not entirely certain how we were brought to this period in time.

"After meeting Sam Tinker, I faced my greatest crisis. While enjoying a meal at the local inn, a group of ruffians entered. You call them dudes. Being noble-born, I attempted to ignore them, but the ignominous cretins harrassed my companions and I until we were forced to retaliate. What began as a brawl quickly turned into a murder scene as one of my companions unfortunately drew a blade and attacked the dudes. Soon the dudes, Shareev, and Thanis were firing these very loud devices, known as kuhns at each other. One of the dudes died, and Thanis nearly did. I used the powers of Seker to revive him.

"My companion who started the fatal violence apologized for her behavior. I decided that the laws of the land would choose her fate. The sheriff, Sherrif, did not chide her for her actions, but was dismayed at the turn of events. As I was told the nature of these dudes, I became fearful for the safety of my godson. Shareev and Sharrif explained that allowing them to live may very well condemn my poor godson to a horrible fate. In his defense, I agreed to dispatch of the surviving dudes. Together, Shareev and I snuck up behind the two remaining and slit their throats before they had a chance to see what we were doing.

"I had never murdered a man before, and I am certain that Seker would not approve, but for the safety of my godson, I felt I had no choice. I must protect him, even if that condemns my soul. Since then, a common man named Vulan has repeatedly challenged my faith. While I consider him a heathen, some of what he said is true. How could such men be allowed to do what they do? Where is the light of Seker? Where are his purging flames? Where are his faithful maidens?

"If my entire faith has disappeared, what am I to do? Shall I continue in my life's work? Shall I continue bringing aid to those in need? Shall I continue bringing light to the darkness? How can I when I have tainted myself with darkness?"
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The appararition appears thoughtful for a time, then answers. "The name you speak, Mycr, is an ancient name for the One God, Meeher. It is recorded as such in both the White Book of Mazzaroth and the Red Book of Ragd'lharen. It is a name little used since the end of the Dark Age, when the apostates of the false religions saw the error of their ways and all Perearth was brought into the enlightenment of Meeher."

"From your use of this ancient name, I believe you must have some familiarity with the holy scriptures, yet it seems your understanding is incomplete. For you speak of false gods, which we know to be illusions sent to pervert and test the minds of man. It is only too common in this new Dark Age that such illusions have re-emerged, for much of Meeher's teachings were lost before and during the End Times."

"I know not how you came to be here, but I can explain something of the source of these powers you say you wield. The causes of which you speak -- protection of the weak, bringing aid to those in need, bringing light into the darkness -- are dear to Meeher. Thus, the Unknown One has granted you some power to pursue those causes, even though you have failed to recognize the correct source."

"As to those actions with which you feel you disgraced yourself ... indeed, murder is a most foul act. But the Red Book teaches that sometimes the righteous have no choice when faced with dark evil. Indeed, some such unfortunate acts were necessary to end the first Dark Age. Those who comitted them were stricken with similar crises of faith."

"It was only through careful contemplation and study that those in crisis were able to redeem themselves. For they needed to realize that their actions, however distasteful, were in the cause of the greater good and, therefore, necessary to the cause of the One God."

"In your case, I do not know the specific circumstances which caused you to commit murder most foul. But if, as you say, you had no other choice and the cause was just, then it may be your action can be forgiven. The first step to achieving that forgiveness will be to cast aside the illusions of false gods, even those false gods whose causes seem righteous. Recognize that there is only One God and he is Meeher, the Unknown One. Once that is done, you can better seek his guidance on how to atone for your deeds."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Nodding at hearing the proclaimation, Oldin is still familiar with the doctrine of Mycr, the one god. "I understand what you have told me. Does this temple have copies of the holy scriptures that I might bring along with me? I would very much like to learn of this new understanding."

Pondering for a while on what was said, Oldin says, "I also desire knowledge of my lineage. Do I possess any relatives in this age? From what you have said, my family dates back to the Dark Ages. I was a proud member of the Viridian Empire. I was the second son of Tallayh Sargash, a noble of the empire.

"My godson, Amon, is the son of Shah Leayh. Perhaps his lineage could be traced, as well."

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

shai-hulud wrote:Nodding at hearing the proclaimation, Oldin is still familiar with the doctrine of Mycr, the one god. "I understand what you have told me. Does this temple have copies of the holy scriptures that I might bring along with me? I would very much like to learn of this new understanding."
"Certainly! I am happy for you that you wish to learn the truth. When you exit the prayer booth, I will ensure there is a tablet waiting for you. I will load it with the text of the White, Red, and Blue Books, that you might study further."
Pondering for a while on what was said, Oldin says, "I also desire knowledge of my lineage. Do I possess any relatives in this age? From what you have said, my family dates back to the Dark Ages. I was a proud member of the Viridian Empire. I was the second son of Tallayh Sargash, a noble of the empire.

"My godson, Amon, is the son of Shah Leayh. Perhaps his lineage could be traced, as well."
It takes the apparition several seconds before answering this question. "You speak of the Viridian Empire. This was a great evil from the Dark Ages, for its leaders followed the worst of illusions. It was the first of the misguided governments to fall when the Dark Ages ended. Few names are recorded from that time, much less from among those who served that evil empire. The names you mention are not among the few that are recorded."

"In any case, our geneologic records do not date back that far. Even were these Viridian names known to us, we would have no way to associate a lineage tracing back to that time."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

patransom wrote:
shai-hulud wrote:Nodding at hearing the proclaimation, Oldin is still familiar with the doctrine of Mycr, the one god. "I understand what you have told me. Does this temple have copies of the holy scriptures that I might bring along with me? I would very much like to learn of this new understanding."
"Certainly! I am happy for you that you wish to learn the truth. When you exit the prayer booth, I will ensure there is a tablet waiting for you. I will load it with the text of the White, Red, and Blue Books, that you might study further."

It takes the apparition several seconds before answering this question. "You speak of the Viridian Empire. This was a great evil from the Dark Ages, for its leaders followed the worst of illusions. It was the first of the misguided governments to fall when the Dark Ages ended. Few names are recorded from that time, much less from among those who served that evil empire. The names you mention are not among the few that are recorded."

"In any case, our geneologic records do not date back that far. Even were these Viridian names known to us, we would have no way to associate a lineage tracing back to that time."
Oldin, sated from a good meal, is calmer and more reasonable. Able to consider the apparition's words for what they are, he says, "There is so much history that I have missed.

"I wish to ask about something quite a bit more complex for me to understand. I have studied religion for many years, so learning of your church's enlightenment should come quickly and naturally, but you speak of records and tablets, of loading, and many other concepts that I am not familiar with. I am very interested in learning. Science is a complete mystery to me. In my day, what you are accomplishing with this science was accomplished by what we called magic. Perhaps what I refer to as magic is merely another form of science. Please excuse me, for my terminology is rather archaic, but I would like to learn more about this science. Would you have any books that could teach me the basics? Starting at the beginning, like what a child would learn, all the way to what an adult would know? Also, is there any way that I can repay you? Would you like me to bring the word of Meeher to the places that I travel?"

Oldin thinks to himself, The Mycretians are still quite a benevolent sect. Men would be wise to learn of this faith, as well as the tenets of Seker.

Snapping back to the conversation at hand, "My next request concerns economics. In my day, we used copper, silver, gold, and platinum as our currency. I am told that these metals have no value to most peoples. Do I possess anything that would be valuable in barter? How does one judge value? I know that Shareev deems broken pieces of constructed beasts as 'treasure' and was able to trade that for goods in Nauthan. Is that the new currency? If I do possess anything that would be useful to Sanctuary, may I trade it for supplies that could be bartered with others? If not, I offer anything that you or anyone within Sanctuary would like as a donation for all of the services that you have provided. You have my humble gratitude, and Mycr--I mean Meeher, as always, has my eternal respect.

"And my final request is for any information that you might have that could lead me to a way to return to my own time. Perhaps someone in Sanctuary's records knows of some way to alter the course of time such that my friends and I could step back through it, much as we slept forward into this time."

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[quote="shai-hulud]"I wish to ask about something quite a bit more complex for me to understand. I have studied religion for many years, so learning of your church's enlightenment should come quickly and naturally, but you speak of records and tablets, of loading, and many other concepts that I am not familiar with. I am very interested in learning. Science is a complete mystery to me. In my day, what you are accomplishing with this science was accomplished by what we called magic. Perhaps what I refer to as magic is merely another form of science. Please excuse me, for my terminology is rather archaic, but I would like to learn more about this science. Would you have any books that could teach me the basics? Starting at the beginning, like what a child would learn, all the way to what an adult would know?"[/quote]
"Unfortunately, much of the greatest science was lost during the End Times. We know of no one who can recreate the the greatest works of the ancients, and only a few, such as Sam Tinker in Nauthun, have even the skill to repair those works when they can be recovered from the ruins. We do, however, have some basic texts introducing the concepts of science. I can have those loaded on your tablet as well."
"Also, is there any way that I can repay you? Would you like me to bring the word of Meeher to the places that I travel?"
"Yes, spreading the word would be most appreciated. Also, if you should encounter others who still follow the true faith, tell them of us here in Sanctuary that they might join us."
Snapping back to the conversation at hand, "My next request concerns economics. In my day, we used copper, silver, gold, and platinum as our currency. I am told that these metals have no value to most peoples. Do I possess anything that would be valuable in barter? How does one judge value? I know that Shareev deems broken pieces of constructed beasts as 'treasure' and was able to trade that for goods in Nauthan. Is that the new currency? If I do possess anything that would be useful to Sanctuary, may I trade it for supplies that could be bartered with others? If not, I offer anything that you or anyone within Sanctuary would like as a donation for all of the services that you have provided."
"Hmmm, yes, your coins will be of little use in Nauthun, as they have set up their own system of currency, which closely matches that of the Ancients. There may be other places, however, where your precious metals have value. There is no overarching system of economics in these dark times, other than the trade in found artifacts of the Ancients. These artifacts have value, even when damaged, because many of them cannot be recreated, only repaired, as I said before. As for here in Sanctuary, we have all we need. For what we lack, we have been able to trade with Nauthun. Your offer to spread the word is more than enough payment."
"And my final request is for any information that you might have that could lead me to a way to return to my own time. Perhaps someone in Sanctuary's records knows of some way to alter the course of time such that my friends and I could step back through it, much as we slept forward into this time."
"I have access to all of Sanctuary's records and we have no information on any such methods. I have heard, however, that there is a place where more complete records on the treasures of the Ancients have been gathered. This is far to the south, on the edge of the great Jungle. We have learned there is a community of Sleeth there, known for collecting information and records."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

"If you would, any information you have on this community to the south and what a Sleeth is would also be helpful. Aside from Meeher's faithful, is there anything that would help your cause, should I find it and desire to return it to you?"

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

"A Sleeth is a type of mauthand, but descended from animal stock, rather than human. I know only that this Sleeth community is somewhere to the south. You may wish to ask those in Nauthun for more information, as they trade and travel more widely than we do."

"As for any additional needs, spreading the word is enough."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

"I thank you for all of the information and council you have granted me. As far as your faithful, Jiam, who is currently resting in the vestibule, is one of Mycr's faithful. I have traveled with him, and while he has some violent tendencies towards his enemies, I believe him to be a knowing and fair man. You may desire to speak with him directly. He actually joined our group from a temple to Mycr located [I don't recall as a player, but I'm sure Oldin would]"

Return to “Perearth: Archives”