Outside and Angry

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Outside and Angry

Post by patransom »

Vulan steps toward Oldin and punches him solidly in the gut. [critical: 7 hp nonlethal. No AoO because Oldin is unarmed.]

As the others gather their equipment and head toward the door, Oldin steps back from Vulan and unleashes a firey burst. [12 hp fire damage, I assumed everyone else was out of the 5' radius already]

You all hear Sanctuary's voice, "What are you doing? Stop this!" Then, apparently somehow aware of everyone's movement to leave, the main door slides open.

Vulan collects his gear and everyone files out. The door slides shut again just after the last person (Vulan) exits.

Now you all stand in the wastes just outside Sanctuary, with Vulan and Oldin glaring angrily at each other.

Shareev takes this opportunity to contact Sam Tinker, "Sam, we plan to head back to town. I know there are a couple Dudes there, but we plan to deal with them. I will let you know when we are close. Please prepare everyone to get to safety when we show up."

Sam's voice replies, "I hope you know what you're doing lad. If they are able to contact their base or other groups that might be out there, they'll bring a whole bunch of them down upon the town."

Shareev checks the tracking device. There is one flashing light right at Nauthun. All the others are clustered together, at that same location approximately 70 miles west.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Duplicate post below...
Last edited by shai-hulud on Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin snaps at everyone as he leaves Sanctuary saying, "Make some room!" He heads to 2421, turns, and faces Vulan, ready for his attack.

When he comes within range, once again, he five-foot adjusts back and lets loose with the fiery burst.

Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

"All you had to do was take your lumps for that cheap shot. You burn me, I burn you - but I won't be using fire!"

Depending on initiative Vulan unloads a burst with the Khun and closes the distance.

Or if Oldin goes first - he closes the distance then unloads a burst with the Khun.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

If Oldin sees Vulan reach for the kuhn, he immediately fires off a fiery burst aimed at Vulan's eyes. He is not trying to harm Vulan (although he wouldn't mind if he did). He is only trying to disorient Vulan long enough for the onlookers to have a chance to drop for cover.

Oldin shouts, "EVERYONE GET DOWN!" as he begins running towards Vulan, arms akimbo, attempting to take any bullets that might otherwise hit an onlooker. He runs all the way up to Vulan's kuhn so that it is pointed directly at his body (too bad neither Oldin nor Vulan would realize that a bullet at point-blank range will probably kill him outright).
OUT OF CHARACTER
I don't know how you want to work my AC. I am actively trying to get hit by Vulan. Perhaps treat my Dex score as a 0, so my AC is 5?

whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Ruadhnait gives the pair room to do battle. Duels of honor are not uncommon among her own people, and she regards them with interest, but does not move to interfere. This is something that must be settled between them, for better or for ill.
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

shai-hulud wrote:If Oldin sees Vulan reach for the kuhn, he immediately fires off a fiery burst aimed at Vulan's eyes. He is not trying to harm Vulan (although he wouldn't mind if he did). He is only trying to disorient Vulan long enough for the onlookers to have a chance to drop for cover.

Oldin shouts, "EVERYONE GET DOWN!" as he begins running towards Vulan, arms akimbo, attempting to take any bullets that might otherwise hit an onlooker. He runs all the way up to Vulan's kuhn so that it is pointed directly at his body (too bad neither Oldin nor Vulan would realize that a bullet at point-blank range will probably kill him outright).
OUT OF CHARACTER
I don't know how you want to work my AC. I am actively trying to get hit by Vulan. Perhaps treat my Dex score as a 0, so my AC is 5?

[ooc OMG - I'm not sure if seeing this would make vulan laugh or outraged. Laugh that you're actually willing to sacrifice yourself when there's noone even close to you to get shot. Or outraged that you think his aim is THAT BAD inside 30 feet. Then again, if your fiery burst goes off first, he won't see that, and will think it's a cheap shot.... like throwing sand in his eyes...
Depending on how this goes down - he might actually think you have honor after all - or that you really want to die, and death by Vulan is the best way you could think of to make sure it happened...]

The move stands as previously posted - unless the fiery burst does not go off AND Oldin does everything he just said - running up to him arms spread wide. Then Vulan would check his fire.
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah asks Mayrhu, "Do you promise that you will go south and never return to this area?" She glances at Jiam, "Shall I set him free here?" She does keep an eye on Oldin and Vulan.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Thanis steps back out of the way.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Since Shareev and Thanis are in the lead, Shareev will make his way over to Thanis and attempt to stay out of the fight. "Do we wait for them to finish this?"
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Sunbolt wrote:Or outraged that you think his aim is THAT BAD inside 30 feet.
Well, Oldin does not think in game mechanics. In real world mechanics, if a bullet from the burst misses, it will continue on its trajectory. It will not disappear because it missed. If someone is in a similar line of fire, you hit someone else. I know as a player that when you miss, you just miss, but my character doesn't know that.

Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

shai-hulud wrote:
Sunbolt wrote:Or outraged that you think his aim is THAT BAD inside 30 feet.
Well, Oldin does not think in game mechanics. In real world mechanics, if a bullet from the burst misses, it will continue on its trajectory. It will not disappear because it missed. If someone is in a similar line of fire, you hit someone else. I know as a player that when you miss, you just miss, but my character doesn't know that.
cute idea - but if you look there's no one standing behind Oldin from Vulan's vector either. There's Vulan all the way on the right, Oldin about thirty feat away (point blank range) and then nobody.... He'd have to not only miss, but have a whole other angle off attack than - straight - grin. But go ahead - I'm not telling you how to role play, I was justs amused and mentioning ooc as to how Vulan would react depending on the outcome of the action.

Oh, and flavor aside - does Fiery burst allow for a dazzle or called shot effect?

I think this battle will be determined by initiative more than ability.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[I'm validating this now to put an end to the confusion. I wanted everyone to have a chance to intervene, but it doesn't look like anyone does.]

Thanis steps back out of the way.

Oldin moves back, snapping at everyone, "Make some room!" He then waits [READY ACTION. You beat him on initiative. Therefore, you acted before you saw him "go for his gun," and you can't change a readied action. It would have been funny for you to run toward him flailing and screaming, though]

Vulan moves forward. When he comes within range [The trigger for the READY ACTION], Oldin unleashes a firey burst. Vulan ducks the worst of it [Made reflex save, 6 hp damage]. Vulan completes his move and fires a single shot at Oldin [Sunny pm'd me to change burst to single shot well before the argument about where bullets go, not that it would have made any difference, given Oldin's location]. The bullet hits [12 hp damage].

[Since neither of you died this round: from this point forward Oldin goes first, then Vulan. I don't reroll initiative every round. Please pm your actions to me so we can avoid a lot of "if this, then that."]
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

OUT OF CHARACTER
It is true that readied actions cannot be changed, however Oldin's screaming "EVERYONE GET DOWN" happens as a free action that can be on anyone's turn. As soon as he saw the kuhn, he could have screamed that, even though he wasn't prepared for what to do when he did see Vulan going for that.

valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"You know, I have a much better idea on how to settle this than waste ammunition, although I like seeing how people would be able to get their duels done properly." as Aeless states to the rest of his companions.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

To shareev...

"Unfortunatly, yeah, i try not to get in between to guys with a grudge. especially grudges like this. No way it can end well. For any of us."
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

shai-hulud wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
It is true that readied actions cannot be changed, however Oldin's screaming "EVERYONE GET DOWN" happens as a free action that can be on anyone's turn. As soon as he saw the kuhn, he could have screamed that, even though he wasn't prepared for what to do when he did see Vulan going for that.

Quite true. You can all assume Oldin did scream "EVERONE GET DOWN."
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand steps back 10 feet.
Image R.I.P. Brand
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless seems to ignore the yelling, since it's a duel and one is supposed to accept pride and honor in such things.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

OOC: Shareev was going to move over to talk to Thanis, but apparently you missed it. If he is where you have him, Shareev wil take a 10' move away from Oldin. If you allow the move, Shareev will move around Thanis to get on the opposite side of him
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam steps back out of the way and gaurds the prisoners. He isn't going to let the one free quite yet until this thing has been settled.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Shareev moves away from the fray to just behind Thanis, asking "Do we wait for them to finish this?" [Sorry I missed you last time]

Aeless comments, "You know, I have a much better idea on how to settle this than waste ammunition, although I like seeing how people would be able to get their duels done properly."

Ruadhnait watches.

Brand likewise backs up.

Thanis replies, "Unfortunatly, yeah, i try not to get in between to guys with a grudge. especially grudges like this. No way it can end well. For any of us."

Jiam steps back and his prisoner goes with him.

Arms akimbo, Oldin charges up to the barrel of Vulan's kuhn, still yelling for everyone to get down. "I SAID GET DOWN! IF HE MISSES ME, I DON'T WANT ANYONE NEAR ME TO GET HIT!" Noting that no one is in the direct line of fire, Oldin then releases another firey burst at Vulan [No AoO because you are holding a ranged weapon]. This time Vulan catches the full fury of the fire [9 hp damage].

Vulan drops the kuhn and draws his greatsword, replying "Here, no one but you'll feel this!" He swings at Oldin a little clumsily, but the old man isn't quick enough to avoid a slash right across the chest. Oldin crumples to the ground in a heap, bleeding and unconscious [10 hp damage. Oldin is at -2.]

Leenah, just a moment too late, throws the dagger she was pulling to give to Mayrhu between the two men. It lands point down in the dirt at Vulan's feet. She then steps forward and says, "Look, I have had enough of the two of you sniping at each other. Can we simply agree to put aside our differences for the time being and go back to town and take care of the Dudes with their weapons before they hurt someone. We have all made mistakes, but we need to deal with the current situation. After the Dudes are dealt with then if people want to go their separate ways then so be it. But I believe we are stuck here in what is our future and until we have a better handle on things it would be best not to be doing this."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I may be mistaken, but I have Oldin at 5 hp (-2 nonlethal). Did I miscalculate something?

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

shai-hulud wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
I may be mistaken, but I have Oldin at 5 hp (-2 nonlethal). Did I miscalculate something?

I have 7 nonlethal punch + 12 bullet last round + 10 sword this round = 29. Unless I have the wrong hp total, he is at -2 including the 7 nonlethal. So it's the nonlethal that puts him unconscious. When your nonlethal damage exceeds your current hit points, you are unconscious. I'm not sure, but I think he is at least stable, not in danger of losing more hit points, because it's the nonlethal that puts him below 0.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Right, that is what I meant, that he is not bleeding.

Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah sighs shaking her head. Dropping to her knees she pulls the healing wand from her belt and attempts to heal Oldin.

OOC Lets hope she rolls a better use magic device than she did the last time she tried to use it.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Alright, does that settle everything, and is everything intact now?" his question seem to point toward Vulan, "Just hit him once with it Leenah, and he should be able to recover from there; save the wand's use on the real thing." suggests the half-elf.

"Everyone, all packed up?" asks Aeless to the group.
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

valinor wrote:"Alright, does that settle everything, and is everything intact now?" his question seem to point toward Vulan, "Just hit him once with it Leenah, and he should be able to recover from there; save the wand's use on the real thing." suggests the half-elf.

"Everyone, all packed up?" asks Aeless to the group.

Vulan blinks and takes a deep breath. The anger seems to drain from him, then he shakes his head.

"I've beaten him. If he accepts that, then yes, this is done. However, when he attacks me again - he will die. He is not a man of honor, if he were, this would never have come so far." He shakes his head again.

Vulan wipes his blade off on Oldin's clothes - as he speaks - to mark the defeated. He then sheathes his sword, picks up Leenah's knife, then gathers the khun.

"I do not believe this duel ended so poorly - we only wasted one bullet. Perhaps one of you wants to recover it from the old man's body?"

He hands the knife to Leenah, hilt first - "Nice shot, I can help you with your timing if you'd like. He's not dieing, just down. He'll wake without your healing within an hour I'd wager."

Then Vulan walks towards the prisoners. "He did make one good point - neither of you could stand up to me in a battle of blades, but I believe they will allow you to leave. I do not believe you are men of honor either - but if you each give me your word that you will never harm the people of this place, nor any of these before you - even the old man - then I will allow you to leave according to their plans. Betray us in any way, and there is no place on this New Perearth of your that you can hide from me."
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless laughs, "I doubt either of them can stand against us with blades, brother, although I will give them the benefit of doubt." as the half-elf calms his laughter.

"Vulan, my statement stands true that one." points at Sarge, "Will betray us like a viper in the sand. Mayrhu can leave as he wants, but I really do not trust that one. You can see defiance in his eyes." states Aeless.
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

valinor wrote:Aeless laughs, "I doubt either of them can stand against us with blades, brother, although I will give them the benefit of doubt." as the half-elf calms his laughter.

"Vulan, my statement stands true that one." points at Sarge, "Will betray us like a viper in the sand. Mayrhu can leave as he wants, but I really do not trust that one. You can see defiance in his eyes." states Aeless.
"This is an honorless land, to be certain, Aeless. But we can only expect others to learn the value of honor by seeing it displayed; equally true the value of mercy.

Vulan turns to the prisoner Aeless believes is a snake, "You have seen both just now before you. I have comittmed myself to honor - and though he attacked me without any more provocation than words - I have allowed him to live when he was weak before me, incapable of defending himself. This was a mercy. You shall never have the chance to find us weak - but I assure you - you are only alive because of our mercy. Because I will not allow another of yours to be killed without at least a fighting chance."

Vulan turns back to the others.

"Oldin has said both prisoners are mine - but I hold little stock in what Oldin says, obviously. We shall determine their fates, now, together. The time of one or two of us ruling all of us is at an end. That is the result of today's duel, if nothing else.
"I propose that we let the first one, Mayrhu, free now - on his oath that he will leave the dudes and never return. Should we have the chance to see him again, we will be neither friends nor enemies if his word is true."
"The other, I can not read his heart - he may well be telling the truth, but Aeless belives he lies, and I have not yet seen Aeless wrong in such assessments. Let us take him away from here, and tie him as Leenah says she can tie his ropes. Leave him with a day of water and rations and a dagger out of his reach. When he unties himself he may choose to leave and never rejoin the dudes, or he may go back to them - but by then it will be too late to stop any of our immediate plans. If we meet him again, and he has rejoined the dudes, he will die. If he has not, then he is neither friend nor foe - save for his actions at that time."

Return to “Perearth: Archives”