At the Gates of Nauthun

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

At the Gates of Nauthun

Post by patransom »

[Sorry for the validations missed/delayed. I was sick all last week and a little too out of it to keep up.]

Mayhru, happy to be released, takes off south, walking at a fast pace and not looking back.

Jiam pummels Sarge into unconsciousness and leaves him there, tied up, with a waterskin and a dagger nearby. [Sorry Aeless, Sarge can't really dig a hole for himself while he's unconscious.]

The group finally sets off toward Nauthun, while Oldin remains behind, making sketches of the unconscious Sarge. [Oldin, Nauthun is less than a half-mile from Sanctuary. Even moving slowly to cover their tracks, the party will be there in 20 minutes. You will still be working on your sketches at that point.]

Arriving at Nauthun, Shareev uses his goggles to examine the situation from a safe distance. He reports that the gates are open, but in front of them are five Dudes, with a wagon similar to those you've seen before, but with a very large kuhn mounted to the back of it.

[Current Damage: Vulan 31 hp]

[Layout is in the map below, so you can figure out your strategy. Just tell me where on the map you want to approach from. If you want to take up a position and start firing from farther away than is on the map, that's fine, just tell me how far from your target]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias wants to know if we can circle around the guards at the entrance to the fence (moving north or south) out of their sight, then move along it (going south or north) parallel to the fence back to the gate. That would partially block one "group" with another, at least initially.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:Esias wants to know if we can circle around the guards at the entrance to the fence (moving north or south) out of their sight, then move along it (going south or north) parallel to the fence back to the gate. That would partially block one "group" with another, at least initially.
It's possible to come in from that direction, but might require some stealth as you move along the fence toward them. There's not much in the way of cover along the fenceline (of course, there isn't much cover in a direct approach either).
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias has a Move Silently of +15 and a Hide of +7; anybody else willing to try a pincers movement?
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev doesn't have a skills in that, but would prefer to approach from the North is involved in the Pincer movement, since he at least can man or drive the wagon.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless nods in Esias' direction, "I'll go opposite side. Cross-fire shots with bows or with kuhns."

OOC: Move Silently 7, Hide 7
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam nods and voices an opinion. "I think we should come from up the middle with one man. I know that one of us is reputed to be a good shot from a distance. He moves in just out of range of that big Kuhn and then waits. The rest split up in two groups and approach both from the north and south. Once we get within charging distance, taking out time, we signal the one in the middle with a mirror. He takes aim on the man in the wagon using the big kuhn. We let him take two shots before we move. The first makes them look around unsure of where it came from. The second will alow them to focus in and drop their gaurd on thier flanks. that is when the rest attack. We can improve the confusion further from actually attacking from within the town. A single person can scale the wall from the opposite side of town using ropes. They can also see if this is a ruse of some sort and if their are really more located within. That person can attack from behind." Jiam pauses to see if any like any of what he just said.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah will go with whichever group she is needed with.

Move Silently: 9
Hide: 4
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Thanis sets up 125 yds (375 ft of course, or 75 squares away), which is a little less than the range increment on his reeble.

He sets the sights on the one on the Hayoon to begin with.

Then asks, "how long should i wait before the first shot? I would certainly like to take down as many as possible from this distance. I might be able to get a shot or two before they even figure out whats happening. And if they decide to come out and find me, then i'll get a few more."

Then he unpacks his guillie suit, and starts getting suited up, and settled into the environment, leaving his pack under the suit, but sitting bewteen his legs. He ends up laying on his belly, and the suit covers him and the length of the reeble.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Ruadhnait nods her agreement at Jiam's plan. "I will go over the wall," she says.
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

"Jiam, that sounds good to me."

"Also, Vulan, you dont look very good, can someone patch you up before we getting rolling?
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

"I like your plan as well. And since I am hardly in condition to fight hand to hand unless pressed, I will also take a shot from afar. With Thanis shooting from one direction, I will shoot from another - between us we will keep them from using that weapon."

He thinks about the last question... "I suppose if someone has magical healing, I will accept it. According to Oldin, it won't work since it is his god's doing, but I see no harm in trying."

If someone with healing attempts it - he waits. Otherwise or after he moves around to a 90 degree angle off of where Thanis is shooting from (pivot at the weaponp) and keeps about twenty feet closer than Thanis to the weapon. (I don't know the range increment - but I think at this point Vulan does - so if he can figure out the distances, let him move in or out to stay within the range of his weapon.) He makes sure both Khuns are fully loaded and ready to fire.

When signaled (Thanis fires first) he'll fire a single shot to finish the job Thanis started if the guy isn't down - or take out any other guy moving towards the mounted khun if the guy is down.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Corrections - Ranges are in feet, and with the Scope activated, his range is 225', so he'll setup 200 feet away, 40 sq's.

With suit, Hide = 21, distance might give more bonuses.
After aiming for 1 rnd...
atk = +11
Dam = 2d10, 19-20 x3 crit

Holding his action to fire....
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Vulan, the range increment on your Nine Meel Supmayshinkuhn is 30 feet.
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah can use the wand to heal Vulan, lets say two charges worth.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[I love strategery, although this may not be the best medium to work out something this complex ...]

To clarify your plans, the map below is at 50' per square.

If I understand the party's strategy, starting from the black * on the map, you will move as indicated by the black arrows on the map.

D are the Dudes, hanging out in front of the gate.

T is Thanis and V is Vulan, each creeping up and getting ready to shoot.

R is Ruadhnait, circling around the town to climb over the fence at the back.

Group 1 is Aeless and Shareev, preparing to sneak along the fenceline.

Group 2 is Esias and Leenah, preparing to sneak along the fenceline from the other direction.

The blue arrows indicate movement planned once your attack "starts."

So, I still need to know several things:

- What are Brand and Jiam planning to do?

- How will you coordinate starting the attack? If you suggest Thanis take a shot to start things out, I'm sure he will remind you that you are unlikely to hear his kuhn (once he has that supressor attached to it). If you want to just try "everyone go x amount of time after we've all split up," there will be WIS checks involved to see if your sense of time is accurate.

- For the people sneaking along the fenceline, will you move at half speed to avoid a penalty to hide? Will you move as a group or space yourselves out a bit? At what point (how far away from the Dudes) will you start shooting?

Finally, just as a reminder, you may want to look at the "sniping" part of the hide skill: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/hide.htm
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

(OOC) I am going with group two. I suggest Brand go with group one. I plan on just charging in as fast as I can. I will concentrate on pummeling someone. Trying to get to the wagon and on top first. If no one is manning that thing when I get there, I plan on trying to use it against them. If it is manned, i plan on trying to take that guy out. All we have to do is get in position and let our sniper know that we are ready with a signal mirror. Then he starts shooting. We move in after we see the the second hit.(OOC)
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless states, "Will move 400' towards the dudes and as silent as possible using areas and shadows to block the dudes from spotting us." Bow and 2 arrows ready, moving along the side of town.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

OUT OF CHARACTER
re: hide after shot. I read that, and after the shot, you get a -20 to hide again. Would this penalty be mitigated by the silence/suppressed rifle and distance that thanis is shooting from? You dont need to answer that really, because it wouldnt change his action, but i offer it for consideration.

thanis says "i propose that when we all split up, everyone gets in a position where they can just barely see the Dudes. I will wait 5 minutes from you all leaving before taking the first shot. That should give everyone enough time to get into position. Then, you wont need to hear me, but you'll see the dude take a hit."
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

beltzclan wrote:(OOC) I am going with group two. I suggest Brand go with group one. I plan on just charging in as fast as I can. I will concentrate on pummeling someone. Trying to get to the wagon and on top first. If no one is manning that thing when I get there, I plan on trying to use it against them. If it is manned, i plan on trying to take that guy out. All we have to do is get in position and let our sniper know that we are ready with a signal mirror. Then he starts shooting. We move in after we see the the second hit.(OOC)
If you plan on trying to get on the wagon, you should go with group 1. Shareev already plans on trying to take it and it is closer to the north approach.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias will move at half-speed (20 ft for him, though he'll slow to 15 ft if necessary for the others to keep up) in an attempt to get within 70 ft of the southernmost Dude (range increment for his bow). He has a Hide of +7 (and the opposing Spot check has a -1 penalty per 10 ft of intervening distance... and another -5 if the spotter is distracted by, say, somebody shooting his buddy. :D )

If he reaches that location before anything else happens, he will wait for Thanis to shoot a Dude before launching his first arrow, then advance and shoot. If the balloon goes up before then, he will move at full speed to the 70 ft mark (from the Dude) and start shooting and closing.
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

(ooc) I stand corrected. Jiam with Group 1 (ooc)
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

(OOC: Sorry, been on holidays)
Brand will go with Group 2, he'll leave behind, enough gear, to not hinder his movement, leaving the new world guns and sticking with his sword.

Edit: He offers his guns to Vulan or Thanis, extra if you need it.
Image R.I.P. Brand
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

"Thanks Brand, I think i would like a backup for right now."

Thanis takes the khun and sets it on the ground next to his reeble, under the guillie suit, so he can easily grab it when getting up if need be.
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

Your map looks fine. Vulan will take his time getting into position, but knowing that armored as he is, he's very likely to be spotted, he's less worried about it. He waits till Thanis is in position before moving too close - so he won't give the other away if he is spotted, then gets himself into position with both guns ready. He'll wait for Thanis to shoot someone - visible effect rather than the sound of the shot - then shoot as well - in a single shot as I mentioned earlier. He'll keep it up - targeting first and priority anyone going for the big mounted Khun. Only if there is no target there - will he go after anyone else who isn't in melee with one of his friends.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

You all move into position without being spotted.

Thanis takes careful aim and fires at Dude 5. Rather amazingly, he misses [Rolled a 1!]. Fortunately, no one but Thanis notices this, so he takes aim and fires again. This time he hits Dude 5 in the chest. Thanis hides again.

Seeing the man react to being shot, Vulan also shoots and hits the man.
Groups 1 and 2 begin moving along the fenceline [I have Jiam, Shareev, and Brand running at top speed; Esias, Leenah, and Aeless sneaking]

Ruadhnait, unable to see any of this, attempted to time when she thought the attack might start. She was wrong, and eagerly climbed the fence right away. She was already most of the way through town when Thanis took his first shot. You now see her emerge from the open gates, brandishing her spear!

The Dudes begin shouting to each other: Dude 3 shouts "Hey, that's one of the bastards who ambushed us in the canyon. Get her!" pointing his weapon at Ruadhnait. Dude 5 yells "Forget about that! There's the guy who just shot me!" He swivels the large mounted kuhn in Vulan's direction. Dude 1 shouts "More of them, coming from the north!" He points in the direction of Jiam and Shareev. Dude 4 yells "And one from the south!" He points at Brand.

Dude 1, alerted by Dude 4, turns around and fires his weapon at Brand. You all notice that this Dude's kuhn is different from the supmayshinkuhns you and the other Dudes have been using. It has a longer barrel, a bit like Thanis' reeble, but a long belt of bullets hang from it. It also makes a rather pleasant whooshing sound when fired, quite unlike the loud bangs of the supmayshinkuhns. However, the bullet it fires completely misses Brand.

Dudes 2 and 3 both open fire with bursts at Ruadhnait, stepping back from her. One of the bursts hit, pelting the woman with multiple bullets [12 hp].

Dude 4 steps off the wagon and moves toward Jiam and Shareev. He fires a single shot at Jiam, but misses.

A very loud noise comes from the mounted kuhn and you see what looks like a huge bullet flying toward Vulan. There is a huge firey explosion when it lands next to Vulan. Vulan ducks the worst of the explosion, but still is badly burned [18 hp]

[Damage totals: Vulan 49 hp, Ruadhnait 12 hp]
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand continues running, but shifts his attention on Dude 1 (Shield Block +1).
Image R.I.P. Brand
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Seeing that subtlety has gone into the latrine, Esias will speed up to close in on the Dudes.

OOC: double moving at triple speed gives him 240 ft movement per round, so he should be able to reach square 3820 by the round after next.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev, in hopes that Aeless and Jiam will deal with Dude 4, continues towards the wagon with his shotkhun out.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:Seeing that subtlety has gone into the latrine, Esias will speed up to close in on the Dudes.

OOC: double moving at triple speed gives him 240 ft movement per round, so he should be able to reach square 3820 by the round after next.
Double moving at triple speed? I think max movement is a run (x4 speed) as a full round action (160 ft for Esias).

Return to “Perearth: Archives”