Back at Sam's again

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Back at Sam's again

Post by patransom »

Oldin arrives at Sam's shop first and finds Sam sitting at a large table, with some sort of device pressed to his ear. A cable of some sort connects the device to a box on the table.

Sheriff stands in a corner of the shop and Amon is right next to him, sitting on a tall stool and rather haphazardly using a rag to polish some of the metal bits attached to Sheriff's skin. He looks up and says, "Well, hello, Uncle Oldin! Sam's been letting me listen to the bad guys talk on that box. I think you've got them confused!"

Shareev and Leenah soon join Oldin inside the shop, while Brand waits outside.

[In case you missed it in the other threads: there might not be a validation next weekend. Depends on how soon I get back on Saturday.]
Last edited by patransom on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"Hey Sam. Things going a little odd for the Dudes, is that what I hear. Thats good. I was wondering if you had any more hoomauneeheethers we could use to talk to each other. Make it easier for our scouts."

Shareev flashes a toothy smile.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin rushes over and hugs Amon, glad to see that he is all right and avoids his usual playful banter with the boy in favor of showing his genuine concern for the boy's welfare. "Hello, my boy! I'm glad that you are well. You seem to be comfortable enough here until we can figure out how to get you back home." His prayerbook flies around Amon, as well, seemingly just as concerned as Oldin.

Looking at all of the equipment that Sam possesses, Oldin ignores most of it, as it is still over his head. He has not yet had a chance to look at the device given to him by Sanctuary which might explain some of the equipment (I am referring to the science textbooks they downloaded for him).

To Sheriff and Sam, "Thank you for keeping Amon safe. In our own time, a group of our size and with our abilities would have made an impressive impact upon enemies, even as numerous as these dudes, but it seems that with their sophisticated weaponry and mastercraft armor, they possess maneuverability and deadliness unmatched in our time, even though their skills are far inferior to our own. Those khuns merely need to be pointed in the general direction of their target to cause carnage. I understand that one of the men traveling with us under a work-release program from the government of Amon's father has perished by their weaponry. I was beginning to doubt our ability to overtake them, but during our travels, I have been studying my prayerbook, and I discovered the most wonderous thing! I finally discovered a latent ability I had been attempting to uncover. Namely, my ability to produce fire nearly at will. I believe if I understood a little more about how their technology works and where tactically to place the fire, I might be able to provide support for my brethren in a direct assault upon their base. If we could go outside, I could demonstrate this ability for you. Perhaps you can offer a suggestion for how this may be tactically advantageous in disabling some of their base's advantage against us? Are their armor, weapons, horse-less carriages, or buildings susceptible to fire attacks? I am also working on developing acid attacks, but I am a long ways from perfecting that!"
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah moves towards Sam and looks at the 'box' curiously, waiting for the replies.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Shareev asks Sam about hoomauneeheethers. Sam nods and sets the device at his ear on the table, leaving it next to the box, "I should have thought of that. I might be able to put some together. How many do you think you need?" He walks over to one of the crowded shelves and begins picking through some of the mysterious gizmos.

Oldin makes a long speech. When he mentions producing fire at will, Sam looks at him briefly, "You mean feeruhinisees? I've heard of that. Might be useful, but let me deal with the hoomauneeheethers first. Then you can demonstrate."

As Leenah looks curiously at the box on the table, Sam continues rummaging on his shelf. Then Leenah is startled to hear a voice coming from the device Sam had pressed to his ear before:

[Different colors represent different voices. The first one - in blue - sounds vaguely familiar, but it's static-y, so it's hard to tell. The rest of the voices don't seem familiar.]

"Big Boss, Big Boss ... this is Sneak. I'm abandoning the plan. It's not going to work. The Rebels have Tinker listening to our wave. They're also using the kibis. Tinker's got them set up so they know what we're doing! I'm hiding until this is over. Sneak out."

Sam spins around from what he's doing, his pale face turning even whiter. There is a brief pause from the device, followed by:

"Teams One, Two, and Three, go to reetyu silence and return to base, now!"

"But the haynoonjif ... we've almost got it runinng ..."

"I said reetyu silence! Leave it and return to base!"

Sam looks at all of you with obvious worry. "How did they find out? Who's Sneak? What should we do now? Oh no, the town ... what will they do to my town?"
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev tells Sam, "I think we should have at least another 2 or 3 if possible. It would make things easier."

As soon as the voices are overheard on the ear piece that Sam was listening to, Shareev curses. "Damn it. Sonova Bitch. I knew we shouldn't have trusted that dabber. Something didn't seem right about him. He was a plant."

Looking for Sam's hoomauneeheether, Shareev will grab it (even if it is on Sam's arm) and call out to Thanis.

"Thanis, problems. I think that friggen dabber was a plant. If you see him in the town, take him out. What is going on with the other dudes? I think they should be taking off."

Shareev is visibly flustered, the blood rushing to his head causing his pale skin to becoma flushed. He turns to the group, "Who can get to Alice's quickly, someone needs to make sure Jiam and Alice are okay."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin looks confused and says, "I don't quite understand what is going on. That 'dabber' as you call it is a plant? How does its being flora instead of fauna relate to the enemy's knowledge of our tactics?"

Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand is keeping watch outside, not sure he would hear what is going on.
Image R.I.P. Brand
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[Nope, Brand can't hear what's going on from outside. Seems like no one volunteered to find out what happened to Jiam and Alice ...]

Shareev tells Sam, "I think we should have at least another 2 or 3 if possible. It would make things easier."

As soon as the voices are overheard on the ear piece that Sam was listening to, Shareev curses. "Damn it. Sonova Bitch. I knew we shouldn't have trusted that dabber. Something didn't seem right about him. He was a plant."

Looking for Sam's hoomauneeheether, Shareev decides he must be using the same device used to listen in on the Dudes to talk to you. As he heads for the box to try and talk to Thanis, he hears Thanis' voice from the ear piece:

"uh, hello? is this working?" ... "The Dudes were still milling aroung the diversion jif, but they just suddenly jumped back to their vehicles and bolted! Really fast! looks like they're heading west. Anyone know what made them jump?"

Sam, recoving some of his composure, intercepts Shareev at the box. "If you want to talk just to Thanis, let me set it to broadcast only on our wave first. Don't want the enemy to find out more than they know already ..."

Oldin, confused, asks, "I don't quite understand what is going on. That 'dabber' as you call it is a plant? How does its being flora instead of fauna relate to the enemy's knowledge of our tactics?"
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

With no immediate response from Shareev, Sam adjusts some dials and switches on the box, then steps aside, "There. It's on thraynsmeeth now, instead of braythaysth. You can talk and only Thanis will hear you."

He continues "What do you mean about a dabber? Did you let a spy in our plans? What will we do now? They're sure to destroy the town, now that they know I've been helping you." He looks worried.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"Long story, someone needs to go check on Jiam and the dabber"

Talking into the hoomauneeheether, "Thanis, can you an Aelless find that Dabber. Apparently he is working with him. Take him out if you can."

"Sorry about the mess Sam, we will take care of it. Come on guys, lets find us a Dude." Shareev heads out the door.

Outside the door to Brand, "That dabber is working with the dudes, we have to stop him."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin casts his eyes downward, gathering the strength of Seker. As he looks back up, he has flames in his eyes (metaphorically if physically is not possible, but if it is, that would look bad-ass!!! :P). "Sam, what would it take to destroy the Dude's base once and for all? Thus far, we have been targets of the dude's weaponry. Help us achieve a viable strategy that will prevent us from dying foolishly, and we will do all within our power to ensure no harm befalls this town ever again!"

Edit:
Oldin will stay with Sam and work out a plan. Hopefully Sam can fill Oldin in on some of the technological details he is overlooking (like the fact that ammunition explodes when it is exposed to fire).
Last edited by shai-hulud on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

"Dammit!" Brand follows Shareev.

"Where to? Alice's."
Image R.I.P. Brand
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[Oldin and Leenah are now the only PCs here, everyone else is on a sn ... Dabber Hunt]
shai-hulud wrote:Oldin casts his eyes downward, gathering the strength of Seker. As he looks back up, he has flames in his eyes [/i](physically, sure, why not?)[/i]. "Sam, what would it take to destroy the Dude's base once and for all? Thus far, we have been targets of the dude's weaponry. Help us achieve a viable strategy that will prevent us from dying foolishly, and we will do all within our power to ensure no harm befalls this town ever again!"
While Sam considers his answer, Amon answers with excitement, "Yes, Uncle Oldin, if you can make fire, I bet you can! Sam's been telling me lots of things. Did you know that there's lots of things here, that if you set them on fire, they explode?!"

Sam says, more carefully, "Attacking their base while they are still deciding what to do next does seem a reasonable strategy. But not having seen their base, I can't offer suggestions on the best way to attack it. I'm not a general or warrior, either ... but the boy has a point. If you could find where they keep the ammunition for that haynoon they had at the gate, and set it on fire, it would cause a large explosion. At least, that could be a diversion. It might destroy whatever structure it's stored in, too, depending on what it's made of ..."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin nods in fiery resolution. He asks Leenah, "What do you think? Should we attempt an attack on their base? We know where it is, but know nothing about its defenses. Perhaps this plant-creature that the others have gone after will be able to tell us more, although I am not sure I understand much about that. Or perhaps with your... unique skills, you might have another idea for obtaining information? Perhaps something dealing with remaining unseen while gaining entry to their base? I just wish we could see what was going on without actually having to enter their base! If the gnosophim were around, we could likely determine exactly how many we would face with a direct assault."

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Although Leenah doesn't answer, Sam adds a comment, "I don't know if you are aware of this, but both Shareev and Thanis have devices that allow them to see at long distances. If you can get close enough without being detected, they might be able to scout their defenses without actually having to enter the base."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

With this new piece of information, their actions seem clear. They should locate the dude base, and those capable of keeping themselves concealed should approach as close as possible and determine what they will face from a head-on assault of the dude's base.

After contemplating, Oldin says, "Thank you, Sam. I was not aware. The only plan of action I can think of is to do just as you suggest, scout out the base from afar. Once we know its layout, we can figure out the specifics of our assault. If we are successful in stopping the dudes, will Nauthan be capable of defending itself in the future? I would hate to leave only to have another group that is just as ruthless take the place of the dudes controlling this town!"

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Sam answers, "I think checking out their base in hopes of attacking it sounds like a good idea, if you could do it quickly enough. If we keep the pressure on them, they might not have time to come up with a plan of their own. I'm worried they will decide to attack the town in force, now that they know I've been working with you."

"If you can take them out, Nauthun will be able to get on a much better defensive footing. The problem, until now, has been that the Dudes confiscate anything valuable. Without them interfering, we'll be able to get back to building things up. We can become a shining beacon of civilization here in the wastes ..."
He seems excited by this prospect.

"What else do you think you might need for an attack on their base? I'll get the hoomauneeheethers Shareev asked for ready right away."

"The question is how to get you out to their base as quickly as possible. We have the one jif and the two eethivis that first group came in on, plus it sounds like they left another jif right outside of town. Do any of you know how to drive, other than Shareev?"

Amon chimes in at this point, "I can operate one of those wagons. I watched you when you were hiding it!"

Sam looks from Amon to Oldin, then back to the boy, "It's not something you can pick up just from watching someone, son. And I don't think your uncle would approve of you putting yourself in danger."

[I revised this, because I rewrote it after forgetting I already validated earlier today! This version's better, anyway.]
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Re: [Oldin, Leenah, Sam, Amon, Sheriff] Back at Sam's again

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin gives Amon a hug, "There will be plenty of adventure to come, my boy. No need to go rushing into it!

"What I wouldn't give for a Dispel Technology spell!" mutters Oldin. "Well, one thing I have noticed going wrong each time we face the dudes is: while it has been beneficial for us to know what the enemy is planning, their communication devices have been more of a boon to themselves. Each time we attempt to gain the element of surprise with our advanced knowledge, they report our presence, spoiling that surprise. Back in my time, we could have tried to dispel the magics they used to communicate, but now, obviously, that will not work. Is there any... treasure... or what-have-you that could create a similar effect? A Stop Technology treasure?"

(In this specific case, I am referring to a device that creates enough RF Interference to disable short-range communications. Not terribly sophisticated, so Sam might have it or be able to put it together, even though the dudes are stealing most of his good stuff.)

"Additionally, we could use any sort of medical supplies you have that are as powerful as my own healing magics."

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Oldin, Leenah, Sam, Amon, Sheriff] Back at Sam's again

Post by patransom »

Sam replies, "'You can't stop technology,' is what a lot of people say, but that's not quite true. You can stop technology with other technology, if you know what you're doing. It's just that technology works in so many different ways ... As for messing with their communications, I could generate some reetyu interference from here, but I'm not sure over what range it would be effective. And it would stop all communication, ours and theirs. A better idea might be for me to braythaysth something loud and annoying on their wave, but keep ours clear. It might not stop them from communicating altogether, but it might make it difficult ..."

"I don't know how powerful your healing magic is, but I have a few ayrusul bandages left ..."
He digs around his cluttered shelves and produces three small cans. "They work like this: you point the nozzle at a wound and press this button. A spray comes out that seals the wound and has antheepayhthiriayl properties. Each can has about six uses in it." He also, at this time, hands Oldin two bracelets, identical to the hoomauneeheether that Shareev has.

Amon squirms in Oldin's hug, "No, really, I'm a quick learner. I definitely can drive one of those carts! I want to help and I'm not afraid. And I can do other things too ..."
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread: everyone] Back at Sam's again

Post by patransom »

Back outside, Esias completes his stubborn backtrack of the dabber's trail. He finds nothing unusual. Aeless runs out to check the gates, but finds nothing out of order there and no sign that the dabber exited by that route.

The group then agrees to return to Sam's to pick up Oldin and Leenah. Sam, Amon, and the Sherrif look up with curiousity as the search party returns empty-handed ...
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"Lousy stinking image distracted us, not sure where the dabber ran off too. This can only mean trouble. Lets make our plan and strike quickly." Shareev is noticably upset by the fact that the dabber escaped.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Yeah, it's harad telling what they know now. First, anyone think we can get that Jif runnin or maybe that 2 wheeled thing out front?
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand goes up to Sam, "Sir, do you know where we can get a few horses, or any other animal for riding?"
Image R.I.P. Brand
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Sam replies, "You mean you didn't know how hard it is to catch a dabber that doesn't want to be found? They can be tricky if they want to ..." [Shareev and Thanis failed their knowledge checks about dabbers, otherwise the illusion wouldn't have surprised you so much ... I guess Alice has never had a reason to show off that ability in front of you.]

"Your friend Oldin and I were just discussing taking the fight to the Dudes before they have a chance to make a plan of their own. I have the jif and the two eethivi's from the first group hidden away. They are in working order. It also sounds like the Dudes were about to get the jif you used as a decoy running again. It's right outside the fence and shouldn't be too hard to repair ... the question is: who can drive them? He looks around at the group, questioningly. [Sam doesn't know this, but Shareev's the only one of you who knows how to drive, although Amon claims he's learned how in only the couple of days he's been here ...]

He also answers Brand's question with a curious look, "You people really are out of some historical vid, aren't you? There haven't been horses (it sounds like "goorsis" when he pronounces it, but you know what he means thanks to the bablefish) since the Final Wars. I'm not sure why you'd want to ride an animal, when we have perfectly good vehicles here. But, if you're really comitted to that, I've heard of communities to the south that keep Hoppers. And there are tribes to the west that are known to capture and ride Pubbailo. It might be possible to trade with one of those groups, but not in time to be of use right now ..."

"Now, if you were really lucky, you might be able to find and negotiate some kind of deal with a tribe of Brutorz. But there isn't time for that kind of wild goose chase right now ...

NOTE: I will be out of town the end of next week and will try to validate late Sunday or early Monday. If that doesn't happen, we may have to skip a validation.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias will remark that he has no need of a horse -- it's difficult to track from the saddle, and a man afoot can go places he can't mounted -- but he could use some arrows.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"I can drive a jif or one of the eethivi's. I think it is best to take the fight right to the dudes."
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"I was suggesting long ago to prepare to fight the dudes at their home." as Aeless rolls his eyes and continues to pack his things.
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

(OOC) Ok confused. Did we all give up the search and move back to Sam's? Or are some of us still out looking? I am fine either way just need to know. (OOC)
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

beltzclan wrote:(OOC) Ok confused. Did we all give up the search and move back to Sam's? Or are some of us still out looking? I am fine either way just need to know. (OOC)
Yes, you all agreed to go back to Sam's to pick up Oldin and Leenah, then possibly move to Shareev's house.

Return to “Perearth: Archives”