Dabber Hunt!

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Dabber Hunt!

Post by patransom »

Jiam isn’t particularly familiar with the town, but he’s pretty sure the main gate is the only way in and out, other than climbing the fence. Since he’s not sure where the easiest place to do that will be, he figures that walking the perimeter along the fence would be his best bet. He draws an arrow in the dirt and heads south, away from the main gate along the fenceline, moving slowly to keep a sharp eye out for his friends, or the dabber, along the way.

Meanwhile, at the main gate, Thanis shouts to Esias, “That dabber was a plant, a spy, we need to you to track him and find him.” Esias climbs down from his perch to see if he can follow the dabber's trail ... of course, from here, it’s rather obvious ... he saw Jiam and the dabber head for Alice’s Restaurant, so he doesn’t need his tracking skill to figure out where they went ... yet. Esias, Thanis, Aeless, and Ruadhnait head there ...

At the same time, Shareev steps out the door of Sam’s, alerting Brand, "That dabber is working with the dudes, we have to stop him." Brand replies, Dammit! Where to? Alice's." The two of them rush across the street to Alice’s, where they meet up with the “tracking” group coming from the main gate.

Entering the restaurant, the now-large search party gets a quick explanation from Alice: the dabber went out the back to the “fresher” and Jiam dashed off after him when he didn’t come back. Thus, the group does the same.

In back of the restaurant, near the fence, they find the “fresher,” an outhouse-sized structure of some unknown material. As they approaches, the door of the fresher slides open and a voice from nowhere says, "Welcome. Please enjoy our sanitary services." The inside of the fresher is empty. There's no sign of the dabber or Jiam ...

Looking around for tracks, Esias immediately spots an arrow drawn in the dirt, pointing south along the fenceline. Soon after, he discerns the dabber’s clawed footprints, along with tracks from someone wearing sandals (Jiam, one might guess). These tracks head south, the same direction the arrow in the dirt points (Hey! Jiam guessed right! What do you know?).

Esias leads the search party south along the fence, following the tracks. It isn’t long before everyone spies Jiam just ahead, also heading south, moving slowly and looking around carefully. He is nearing the southwest corner of the fence.

Just as you are about to call out to Jiam from behind, everyone (including Jiam) spots a small figure dart from a shadowy alley just ahead of Jiam. It’s the dabber! It runs to the corner of the fence and begins climbing. Its claws allow it to climb with spider-like grace and, before anyone can act, it’s already halfway up the 20-foot high fence...
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

OOC: Does Shareev's robotrunk normally just follow him around where ever it can go, humming along. This will help me to decide on Shareev's action
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam ducks into a hard run, flat out, still holding the clay mug in one hand. (Does each square represent 10 feet? If so, how close can he make up ground before the dabber is at the top? Because...) Just before the Dabber makes the top and over to safety, Jiam levels the mug at him hoping to dislodge the rat from the wall. (Hoping to use my any weappn feat?) +6 ranged attack, 1D8+1 + 1D4 Crit 20 = X2
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

klakxor wrote:OOC: Does Shareev's robotrunk normally just follow him around where ever it can go, humming along. This will help me to decide on Shareev's action
Yep.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

beltzclan wrote:Jiam ducks into a hard run, flat out, still holding the clay mug in one hand. (Does each square represent 10 feet? If so, how close can he make up ground before the dabber is at the top? Because...) Just before the Dabber makes the top and over to safety, Jiam levels the mug at him hoping to dislodge the rat from the wall. (Hoping to use my any weappn feat?) +6 ranged attack, 1D8+1 + 1D4 Crit 20 = X2
1 square is 5 feet. Whether you can throw it at him before he gets over the wall depends on initiative ... if he beats you over the top, do you have an alternate plan (e.g., climb the fence after him)?
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Here is what I would like to do, I am not sure if this is allowed for him to do with the robotrunk

Shareev would like to send his robotrunk to the nearest point in the fence where an electrical shock will effect the dabber (not sure how far away the trunk would need to hit and how strong the current would need to be to pass through the metal links of the fence). I have lots of Craft skills to help him make a check to figure out where to hit.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

klakxor wrote:Here is what I would like to do, I am not sure if this is allowed for him to do with the robotrunk

Shareev would like to send his robotrunk to the nearest point in the fence where an electrical shock will effect the dabber (not sure how far away the trunk would need to hit and how strong the current would need to be to pass through the metal links of the fence). I have lots of Craft skills to help him make a check to figure out where to hit.
Unfortunately, not possible: (1) the robotrunk only electrifies itself if it is cornered or attacked. As its owner, nothing you do to it would make it react like that. Someone else in the party might try to shove it into the fence, but then they'd get the shock, as well; (2) the fence isn't entirely metal, there are lots of bits that are wood, duralloy, and other materials. And a craft check tells you that not all of the metal links are even of conducting metal. You think the case would have to be right up next to where the dabber is (probably within 10') to ensure the current transmits.

You might mention to Sam, though, that the fence would be a lot more effective if it were an electric fence ... I wonder why he hasn't thought of that :)
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

It was worth a shot, but I thought it was a long shot.

Shareev, knowing that the dabber is out of his reach will move forward his normal movement (30') and attempt to shoot the fleeing dabber with his .45 revolver using his Exploit Weakness class feature.

DC 15 INT check to swap out INT for DEX

With Exploit Weakness
+7 to attack (-2 for Range Increment)
Without
+4 to attack (-2 for Range Increment)

2d6 damage
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

"Quick little bugger..."

Plan A) if Thanis can shoulder his reeble and get off a shot at teh dabber, he does this. (he has Quick Draw, Deadeye Shot if that's helpful to know)

Plan B) Thanis drops everything but his reeble, climbs (+6) to the top of the fence and Staddles* it (balance +5), shoulders his reeble and aims at the running dabber for 1 rnd, then fires.

atk - +10 (11 w/ aim) / dam 2d10

*hooks his right knee over the top, and sticks his left toe into the fence and braces with is legs.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Postponing his examination of the wall, Esias advances to 1308 (which should put him within 30 ft of the dabber, even if the latter is 10 ft above ground) and looses an arrow at the fugitive.

OOC: +8 to hit, damage will be 1d6+4+2d6 (Crit on 20, dmg then is 3d6+12+2d6), AC is 17.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by TheGreenLabrador »

OOC: I am taking over for Rúadhnait from now on, so... yeah. :p
As she begins dropping her longspear, Ruadhnait speaks swiftly to Thanis, Move out of my way.
She then begins running for the creature, full speed, and jumps at it, grabbing at it's ankles.

Delay action until clear path, then charge at the creature. Check for 5 feet up, with running start. d20+12, attempt at a grapple to pull him off.[/b]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Addendum: even with Precise Shot, Esias will hold his shot if Rúadhnait successfully grapples the dabber first ('cause a grapple isn't melee.)
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

If Brand goes before the Dabber:
Move forward 30 feet, then throw Javelin (+7, 1d6+2, X2/20, Range Inc. 30').

If After:
Brand will move to the fence and help someone climb the fence (Aid Another +2).
Image R.I.P. Brand
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam will head over the fence after the Dabber if he makes it across...
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless moves (1413) so to not get the back of anyone and mutters a word, as he looses an arrow dripping in blood at the dabber.

OOC: Swift Action Blade of Blood; if he goes before I do then cancel action and climb the fence. Tracking outside if possible if he survives after our assault.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Esias advances and looses an arrow at the fugitive. The dabber grunts when the arrow strikes it square in the back.

Shareev, knowing that the dabber is out of his reach, moves forward attempts to shoot the fleeing dabber with his .45 revolver. His attempt fails. [Failed the exploit weakness INT check, but would have missed anyway]

Jiam ducks into a hard run, flat out, still holding the clay mug in one hand. Before the Dabber makes the top and over to safety, Jiam levels the mug at him, hoping to dislodge the rat from the wall. The mug, like Esias’ arrow, smacks the dabber square in the back. It doesn’t fall, though.

Brand moves forward, then throws a javelin. The javelin hits, but, again, the dabber doesn’t fall.

Thanis shoulders his rifle gets off a shot at the dabber. He hits it in the back. It still doesn’t fall off the fence. [It wasn’t clear to me whether you wanted to use the Deadeye Shot feat or not. To use it would require readying an action to see if an ally hits. In this case, it was not to your advantage to do that, since by the time someone else hit it, it would have cover ... better than its DEX bonus.]

Aeless moves and mutters a word as he looses an arrow dripping in blood at the dabber. He misses. [Blade of Blood is still active for your next shot, if you get one]

Ruadhnait, frustrated by the fact that her allies haven’t given her a clear path for her charge, moves up to the fence and jumps to the dabber’s height, grabbing the fence. Her arms straddle the dabber, but before she can grab it, it climbs away. [Flavor for the fact that you didn’t have enough actions left to do the grapple without being able to charge.]

The dabber climbs swiftly to the top of the fence and leaps off, landing agilely on its feet, and begins scurrying off into the wastes ...

[I will allow you to continue shooting at the dabber, but it will have cover. We’ll assume that bullets that hit found a convenient hole through some of the links and that arrows that hit have been lofted over.

Galaphile, make sure to check your PM before posting... ]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

ok then....

"Dammit! Lucky Dabber."

Plan B) Thanis drops everything but his reeble, climbs (+6) to the top of the fence and Staddles* it (balance +5), shoulders his reeble and aims at the running dabber for 1 rnd, then fires. (should still be in range of 235')

atk - +11 w/ aim (another +1 for Height advantage?)
dam - 2d10

*hooks his right knee over the top, and sticks his left toe into the fence and braces with is legs.
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Obviously frustrated, Ruadhnait makes the climb checks to get over and continues after the creature.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Slinging his bow over one shoulder, Esias moves to 1210 (20 ft, half his regular movement) and begins scrambling up the fence (Climb +6).
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam goes over the fence and concentrates just on running after the Dabber and catching him. He tries to stay to the left of him a few feet to give those directly behind him a clear shot. He aims to catch him and take him to the ground.
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

After throwing his javelin Brand has a confused look on his face, as the dabber starts running away he shouts, "WAIT! My javelin passed right through it! It must be some kind of illusion."

"Esias, are there any other tracks?"
Image R.I.P. Brand
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

At Brand's exclamation -- and remembering his own impression of the peculiar nature of the dabber's ascent -- Esias will abort his original intention and return to carefully inspect the wall where the tracks ended. (Search is +11, and as a scout he has trapfinding like a rogue.) The timing of this is up to the GM.

(Also, because TOS+ v1.37 added some new rows in GearData, I had to change some now misleading cell references in my custom gear, opting to use OFFSET() instead. Revised character file attached.)
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam screeches to a halt and looks around.
Last edited by beltzclan on Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev heads to the alleyway and looks down it. He will start heading down it if he doesn't see anything.

"This is the way it came from"
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Confounded damn dabber" mutters Aeless as he casts a spell.
OUT OF CHARACTER
True Strike

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Esias moves back whence he came and begins examining the wall of the building there. The wall is made of some unfamiliar material that looks a little like stone, but clearly isn't. A thorough search reveals nothing unusual: it appears to be just a blank wall. The tracks stop right at its base. [A search check is a full-round action, so you have only a single action next round.]

Shouting, "This is the way it came from," Shareev heads to the alleyway and looks down it. Seeing nothing, he starts heading down it. A double move brings him to the other end, where the alley opens into a street. Shareev sees nothing unusual looking up and down the street.

Jiam screeches to a halt and looks around. He sees nothing unusual, other than the dabber on the other side of the fence, fleeing into the wastes.
After his warning, Brand has a confused look on his face.

Thanis climbs to the top of the fence to his right and shoulders his rifle. [Edited: ignore that Thanis appears on both maps; too lazy to edit the first one]

Aeless casts a spell. [True strike in effect if you make an attack next round]

Ruadhnait climbs the fence, then down the other side, dropping the last 5 feet to the ground.

The dabber sprints as fast as it can away from the town. [had to make a second map to show you how far away it is now]
Last edited by patransom on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Thanis moves up to the fence. [It's a double move to even get there, so the rest of your plan will have to wait.]
I meant the fence to his immediate right. he could get to the top of that and still have LOS to the Dabber. Sorry, should've been more clear.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

tdsprouse wrote:I meant the fence to his immediate right. he could get to the top of that and still have LOS to the Dabber. Sorry, should've been more clear.
Oh, that should have been more obvious to me, sorry. I'll update the above post this afternoon (work's calling right now).
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam heads along the fence heading East looking for signs of the Dabber, now convinced that what he was chasing was not real.
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Ruadhnait stops after landing, watching the creature as it runs, before turning back to the fence and hitting it as hard as she can, then sighs and begins climbing the fence once again to go retrieve her spear.

Return to “Perearth: Archives”