Assualt on the aerie of the ... uh, Dudes

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Assualt on the aerie of the ... uh, Dudes

Post by patransom »

Amon replies to Oldin, "Then I’m going with you because, like the fleshy-headed fellow said, if I drive, you can take one more vehicle."[Fleshy-headed refers to Shareev, of course, because fleshy-headed mutant is my obscure movie reference for today.]

Sam leads you across town to a nondescript building where he has stashed a jif and two etheevis, underneath some very shiny silver cloth of some sort. You then proceed outside the fence to where the sabotaged jif with the haynoon came to rest. Shareev quickly disables the tracking device and completes the repairs that the Dudes already began.

You set out toward where the kibis indicates the Dudes’ base is located, with Shareev driving the haynoon jif, Thanis driving the other, and Amon piloting a etheevi. Amon, it turns out, is quite competent at driving the etheevi. He seems to enjoy it. Thanis, on the other hand, is not at all comfortable with his task. Pushing the jif to anything faster than what a man could run makes him very nervous, and he slows down at the first sign of any difficult ground or obstacles. As a result, the party cannot travel at anywhere near the top speed of the vehicles.

Still, you cover the approximately 70 miles to the base in about 4 hours, much less time than it would have taken to walk there. It is night when you arrive, but you are able to scout the location from some distance away using Shareev and Thanis’ treasures.

The location is surrounded by a fence made of metal links, 15 feet high, 300 feet on a side. The fence is not a patchwork of metal links, metal sheets, and wood like the one surrounding Nauthun. Instead, it is a continuous square of metal links, broken only by a large gate facing you, also made of metal links. Unflickering lights atop the fence illuminate the area surrounding the compound.

A metal-framed tower sits to one side of the gate, looming twice the height of the fence. Atop it you can see two dudes and another haynoon. Inside the fence, the ground appears to be made of one continuous layer of stone, although scrubby weeds and brown grass poke through cracks here and there. There are two buildings visible. One is large, made of metal, with a single huge door on the side facing you and another, normal-sized door right next to it. The other building appears to be made of stone and is barely large enough for a man. You can see a single metal door in that building.

Yellow signs with writing faded into illegibility hang haphazardly at various points along the outside of the fence. A large sign hangs over the gate. Shareev and Thanis can read the characters still barely visible on the sign. If they read it aloud to the rest of you, the papelfish translates the writing as, "Acme Independent Military Corporation, Tharbrian Maintenance and Mauneesguns Depot #9, Authorized Personnel Only."

[For planning purposes, see map below]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Re: [Active Thread] Assualt on the aerie of the ... uh, Dudes

Post by klakxor »

Shareev signals Amon to bring the eethevi over to his jif. He goes about jamming the eethevi into drive. "So from here guys I am open to suggestions. I am gonna try to run the eethevi right through the front gate. Do we go in khuns blazing or would you prefer something else? Amon, you drove the eethevi most skillfully."

Strange Brew..Are you serious? Now that just isn't fair.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

After calimg his nerves for the agrevating 'drive' here... "Well, this isnt quite what i expected. Just two buildings? Wonder what's in that big one. Shareev, you ever heard of the..." Thanis looks through his treasure again... " The Acme Independent Military Corporation?"

"Anyway, i think i can take out the dudes on the haynoon from here. or at least put the hurt to 'em. actually, i got go off the the side a hundred feet or so and get hunkered down, and try to take them out. but it will likely take a fw shots. they shouldnt hear it or see it though. (i think its silenced, i cant remmeber)
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev takes a look at the sign again, "Nope, never heard of them. From the fading of the sign, probably something pre-war"
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin says, "Shareev, Thanis, can either of you tell me where they might keep the ammunition for that haynoon? In the large building or the small one? Whichever one they keep it in, Amon and Leenah, would you two help me get in there? I am fairly confident it would take no more than a few seconds to set the stockpile ablaze, and I can do so from a nice distance. According to Sam, this would provide a nice distraction when their ammunition explodes!"
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

"well, i dont see much of anything else out inthe yar, and that little building's too small for much of anything. I would say that it would have to be in that big building. But i dont know how you could get there."
MonkeyAlpha
Templar
Templar

Post by MonkeyAlpha »

"If there are no windows in the buildings this should be easy, especially if we can avoid using khuns... lets keep this nice and quiet. After eliminating the Dudes on the tower, we can get as close as we need without the ones in the building even knowing."
Image Leenah - Gunslinging Rogue
Image Kirre - Shifter Druid
Image Squirrely - Anthropomorphic Chimp Paladin
Image Rhaz - Shifter Scout/Warblade, Weretouched Master/Warshaper... [eaten by squid]
Image Ween - Whisper Gnome, a silent blade in the darkness and finder of lost treasures
Image Verbal - Warforged speakerbox/wiki
Image Kratos - Redeemed Divine Champion
[url=http://theonlysheet%20.com]Image[/url]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias frowns as he looks at the compound, trying to detect any sentries or other sign of life. (Search is +11, Listen and Spot are both +12.)
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
TheGreenLabrador
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by TheGreenLabrador »

Ruad, obviously annoyed at traveling by ... vehicles, awaits someone who can speak to her to let her know what she is to do.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

I have no idea if this will provide extra motivation or anything, but: according to my calculations, if you manage to clear out the dude base entirely and survive, everyone will have enough XP to level up ...
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

...and survive...
OUT OF CHARACTER
there's the kicker... :mrgreen:

"I dont think we could approach the tower without those in it sounding some alarm. But, i am also hesitant to say that i'll be able to take them out in one shot. their armor is tough to get through. Dont think they're wearing helmets though."
MonkeyAlpha
Templar
Templar

Post by MonkeyAlpha »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Does that imply that we're VERY close to leveling and there are a few Dudes, or that we're kinda close to leveling and there are TONS of dudes?

Image Rhaz - Shifter Scout/Warblade, Weretouched Master/Warshaper... [eaten by squid]
Image Ween - Whisper Gnome, a silent blade in the darkness and finder of lost treasures
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

MonkeyAlpha wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Does that imply that we're VERY close to leveling and there are a few Dudes, or that we're kinda close to leveling and there are TONS of dudes?

Neither of the above :twisted:
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Aeless patiently awaits for the rest to decide on a planned action. "I'll be with you all." states the half elf.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin suggests, "They are not intimidated by our old weapons, right? Perhaps we can use that to our advantage! We can pretend to surrender, while those with khuns remain behind. Those of us surrendering will have nothing but our archaic weaponry. They have a large force exit the building, and we run, pretending to be scared. At this point, those with khuns can begin firing at them. We pretend to run for the hills, but instead, we run up to them from behind, climbing over their metal wall. It looks like it has good hand and footholds. While they are looking for those of us hiding, we attack them from behind. Leenah, if you would help me find the ammunition, I can destroy it, creating yet additional diversions to confuse them. Hopefully we can get them all to surrender with little casualties, if any!"

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

If Shareev or Thanis lends Esias a device allowing him to see at a distance, he still sees nothing more than already reported ...

While you discuss what to do, one of the Dudes from the tower descends and enters the large building. He is replaced a few moments later by another Dude (at least you're pretty sure it's a different guy) coming from the large building.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Like multiple minutes kind of moments. How long was the one dude in the building, before the other dude cam out?

maybe i can take out one while the other is inside.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

tdsprouse wrote:Like multiple minutes kind of moments. How long was the one dude in the building, before the other dude cam out?

maybe i can take out one while the other is inside.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Huh, my first reply didn't show up ... musta hit the wrong button

The new dude came out seconds after the old one went in. There was still about a minute when one dude was alone atop the tower, while another was climbing up/down or crossing the yard.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin asks, "Shareev, Thanis, Esias, can you tell if the dudes at the tower are wearing helms? Back in the canyon, I was able to prevent them from talking, but it seems that their helms provides them with immunity to my abilities. If they are not wearing helms, I may be able to prevent their communication in the same way."

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Thanis re-checks for helms and answers the question.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias will also scan the sentries for helmets, remarking, "Unless these Dudes are fools, they should have some way of checkin' with their sentries. Elsewise, any fool with a sure eye and a good bow might drop 'em and stroll into their compound unannounced."
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev is setting up the Eethevi for the distraction.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
None of them are wearing helms ... I don't recall any of them ever wearing helms, actually, but if some were at some point, these aren't!

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin says, "I will create an area of absolute silence around them. As far as I know, they should be unable to overcome the silence and will not be able to communicate in any way that they are under attack unless they leave the area. With any luck, we may not need to send in the etheevi. We can take care of the two sentries without alerting the rest of them. Once that happens, we can drive right up to their base, again, in total silence if my prayerbook is with us. Again, with any luck, they may not notice our arrival until we drive right up to their front door!"

When they are ready, before Oldin casts silence upon his prayerbook, he tells it to fly over to the dudes in the tower, but to try to keep away from their khuns. If it can hide near them, it should. If it can, the book should avoid alerting the dudes to its presence. It should contact back any feelings of danger through the empathic link.

MonkeyAlpha
Templar
Templar

Post by MonkeyAlpha »

the one walking away will have his back to the guard tower, so we don't even need to wait until he's inside. As long as any attacks we make are absolutely quiet. Can anyone make me invisible? If I can get close enough, I can finish them off incase something goes wrong. We should have a contingency incase things go as planned,
OUT OF CHARACTER
how tall is the guard tower and fence? can I jump, grab and flip over the fence? To be on the otherside in case of a problem?

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

MonkeyAlpha wrote:the one walking away will have his back to the guard tower, so we don't even need to wait until he's inside. As long as any attacks we make are absolutely quiet. Can anyone make me invisible? If I can get close enough, I can finish them off incase something goes wrong. We should have a contingency incase things go as planned,
OUT OF CHARACTER
how tall is the guard tower and fence? can I jump, grab and flip over the fence? To be on the otherside in case of a problem?

Per the first post in the thread, the fence is 15 feet high, the guard tower twice that. Whether you can jump and flip over it would depend on your jump and tumble rolls ... don't have Leenah's stats right in front of me.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"Oldin, the eethevi still might make a good distraction, even if not at the front gate. If we send it out for them to see, perhaps we can distract them long enought to make the frontal assault."
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Amon chimes in, "Uncle Oldin, Shareev has a point. If the eethivi distracts the guards, they might not even notice your book flying in."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin nods, Agreed

Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand nods in favor of a frontal assault.
Image R.I.P. Brand

Return to “Perearth: Archives”