Character (Re)Creation Thread

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Character (Re)Creation Thread

Post by patransom »

This linked thread has all the relevant details, I think.

If you've got questions or comments on that thread, post them here. When you've got a draft of your new or reincarnated character ready, post it here and I'll review it.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Re: Character (Re)Creation Thread

Post by klakxor »

Lets see if I got this right. Once approved I will write up the background for you. I already have some of it in my head, just needto put it down on paper.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

For Sahid Kahn:

I integrated the educated feats and the occupation skill bonuses, added weight for your gear, and made a change to the wealth tracking (you've got +3 left).

You will probably want to play around with your gear purchases some more -- you've got no weapon (and you're going to need one). This wealth thing is a pain -- the order in which you purchase things is significant. We'll muddle through it.

You can pick one more skill from your occupation (you're getting +1 to Computer Use and Knowledge: Arcane Lore right now; an Academic gets 3 skills).

Otherwise, looks good.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Note for everyone: I added the following to the Character Creation section of the background thread:
For items that require some form of license (including guns), assume you have the required paperwork by virtue of being a government employee with Homeland Security credentials. This will avoid the wealth check involved with licensing and applies to restrictions including "license", "restricted", and "military." Items with a restriction of "illegal" will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Okay, I'm "reincarnating" Esias Lightfoot. Here's the preliminary character file, with skills and feats (and some creative programming... :wink: ). I haven't done any purchases because he has a +4 in Profession and I need a Profession check vs DC 10 (his starting wealth) to see if he gets a +1 to Wealth (with an add'l +1 for each +5 the roll is made, so a roll of 15 with 1d20+4 would get a +2, and a total of 20 would net a +3) for going to 2nd level. I assume that's up to you, O wise and generous Gamemaster. :twisted:

By the way, since d20 Modern has a point-buy system identical to the one on the TOS+ Customize sheet, you could offer that as an alternative to generating a new character (d20 Modern default is 25 points).

Edit: found & fixed an error in the formula used to calculate the total Action Points gained by character level.
Last edited by CGM3 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Okay, if someone wants to use point buy for character creation, they're welcome to... although I don't recall anyone choosing that option in any other game I've run :wink:

I've posted a spreadsheet here to (hopefully) simplify the starting equipment purchase process.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

For Eric Lightner:

- Rolled your profession check and added to total wealth bonus (both on treasure and in effects)
- Changed Defensive Martial Arts to a laptop-activated effect (easier for me to deal with that way - like dodge)

Otherwise okay. I used the updated version you just posted, so we should be on the same page. I like the creative programming... I might add some of it to the other characters, depending on how lazy I'm feeling...
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

8 - Initial Wealth
+2 - Starting Occupation (Investigator)
+1 - Profession Check for Lvl 2 (1d20 5=11) vs. Current Wealth of 10
+1 = 5 ranks in Profession

Total Starting Wealth = 12

attaching tos file, and wealth worksheet.

Note: Investigator gives a bonus feat (i chose Personall Firearms), and i integrated this in teh 'Occupational Skills' entry on the Class page.

This character is heading for Gunslinger.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

For Brad Laskin:

- My reading of the rules on Profession gives you +1 wealth for the ranks at 1st level, then +1 wealth for the ranks at 2nd level and another +1 wealth for your roll at 2rd level. So you end up at +7, instead of +6.
- Made Double Tap a laptop feat
- Added conditional bonuses for some of your gear
- Added details for Evasion

Otherwise, looks good
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

ok, try #2 for my character. I think I am starting to understand the modern wealth system.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Okay, here's the finished Eric Lightner (subject to the GM's approval), along with a short background and his expenditures. It's fairly obvious (from the Advanced Classes I've defined) the direction I intend for him... 8)

DM Edit: uploaded your v2.03 version here (just in case I have a hard drive crash or something)
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Eric Lightner is approved as posted above. (Bonus XP for writing a background.)

One small change for Sahid Kahn: if he buys the leather jacket before the notebook computer, he ends up with 1 more point of wealth bonus at the end :)
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Status Report: Eric Lightner, Sahid Kahn, and Brad Laskin all ready to go. Linda Thompson pretty much ready (pending receipt of completed TOS file with all the gear we discussed). Just waiting on one more.

I will be out of town all weekend, but hope to get the modern antics started next week...
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

patransom wrote:Eric Lightner is approved as posted above. (Bonus XP for writing a background.)
Cool beans! :D Er, how much? :?
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Just noticed a small ( :( ) error in the d20 Modern Base Classes patransom has provided. The Crafts that are class skills are given in the class definition as, say --

Craft: structural-m

--but Richard has them in a different format, e.g.--

Craft (structural)-m

Easy enough to correct, but otherwise they'll all be cross-class skills.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Status update: sorting out some final equipment selections for the two remaining characters. Once I receive decisions on those items, we'll be ready to begin...
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Tividius Alexander

After graduating from ROTC and finishing his Medical Degree, he served the military during Ops: Iraqi Freedom as a field medical doctor. He learned and picked up a few skills as a combat medical officer performing field surgeries and greatly improving his life saving techniques. Although, seeing the men and women suffering from ailments and casualties or even death, he seemed to distance himself from social gatherings and some would say interactions. (Others would call it battle fatigue.) He kept up with it hiding it much from others, so he could perform his duties. After a few years in serving, he postponed his re-enlistment and applied his skills in caring for others working as a doctor in hospitals.

Return to “Perearth: Archives”