Modern Tools

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Modern Tools

Post by patransom »

I will be posting things that will help in playing under the d20 modern rules in this thread.

First, a tool to help with tracking your wealth while doing starting equipment purchases. It has an example page and a page for you to enter your items and purchase DCs. It will give you a big red message if you try to purchase something you can't afford. Hopefully, it's self explanatory.

According to the Core Rulebook, the best way to go about purchasing your starting equipment is:

(1) Buy everything you want with a DC < your wealth bonus
(2) Make a list of the expensive stuff and start with the most expensive (highest DC) first
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: Modern Tools

Post by patransom »

Modern Feats

Right now, this is only a list with feat descriptions. Borrowed a lot of it from CGM3's prior work. I've done integration and prerequisites only for a few.

I plan on integrating more as characters get created and the game goes on. Maybe eventually we'll have a complete integrated package that will help as the modern version of the sheet gets developed...

If anyone feels like putting some effort into this (adding effects and prerequisites), knock yourself out!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Modern Equipment

Here's a template sheet for various types of gear (weapons, armor, ammo, everything else). It's got all the item names in from MSRD core and Urban Arcana (I'm too lazy to add all the Future gear), but only a few of the stats and effects have been added so far. Some weapons and armor may not need it (identical to D&D 3.5).

Again, I plan on adding to this as the game goes on.

Anyone who feels like entering stuff is welcome to...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

The Glock 20 is a Martial Melee/Ranged weapon? Dang, talk about pistol-whipping some poor mook! :D
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Hmmm, yes. Fixed that and also entered some of the melee weapons -- annoyingly, many are different from their D&D versions.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

I'm trying my hand at filling in the armor specifications. I've devised a formula for the Base Armor Bonus that determines the value based on whether or not the character has the appropriate armor proficiency feat. Another gives an additional 5 feet of movement to those modern Medium armors with a 'base move' of 25 (bear in mind that d20 Modern is closer to D&D v3.0 than 3.5).

One question; a mastercraft armor (pg 94) gives +1 defense, but does that apply only to the proficent armor bonus, or to the non-proficient bonus as well?
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:I'm trying my hand at filling in the armor specifications. I've devised a formula for the Base Armor Bonus that determines the value based on whether or not the character has the appropriate armor proficiency feat. Another gives an additional 5 feet of movement to those modern Medium armors with a 'base move' of 25 (bear in mind that d20 Modern is closer to D&D v3.0 than 3.5).

One question; a mastercraft armor (pg 94) gives +1 defense, but does that apply only to the proficent armor bonus, or to the non-proficient bonus as well?
Since the rules don't seem to have a clear answer for that, my answer is: whichever is easiest for you to code :)
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Sorry, I should have made it clear, it's not a question of coding, it'll be a matter of customizing the "default" armor to account for the mastercraft improvement (the same way we customize a standard D&D armor for masterwork quality by decreasing the armor check penalty by 1). It isn't mentioned in d20 Modern, so I assume it's a GM call.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Because the bonus provided by mastercrafting is an equipment bonus, I'm inclined to say you have to be proficient in order to take best advantage of your equipment and, therefore, the mastercraft bonus does not apply to someone who's non-proficient.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

So a character should get the Armor Proficiency (light) feat before obtaining a mastercraft leather jacket. So noted.

Here's the modern equipment listing with the armors defined and shields added.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

More weapons added to the equipment file above...
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Modern Classes

This file has CGM3's modern character template and classes. His adaptions are way more sophisticated that the simple ones I did. And he's done many of the advanced classes, including all the ones people have told me they are interested in. When we level up (or if you're bored), consider re-inputting your character using his template. It's way awesome and I'll be using it for all the NPCs...

Edit: uploaded CGM3's very latest version (as of April 22, 2009)

Return to “Perearth: Archives”