[Idea] Faster PbP - Narrowing the Choices

Use this section to:
-> Propose new Play by Post games!
-> Find replacement players for an existing PbP.
-> New missions for the Champions of Destiny
* All PbP requires an active subscription to TOS+
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

[Idea] Faster PbP - Narrowing the Choices

Post by admin »

We all know that PbP is as fast as its slowest poster... :D
But I just realized that there is a way to improve the speed of Play. At some point in a PbP discussion, people will be faced with a choice; In a table top game, the players haggle and argue for a few minutes, until the DM tells them to decide (if needs be). In a PbP, this 5 minute haggling can actually be days and days long!

There are ways that I see to shorten the 'decision' time in a PbP.
a) Elect a leader: This is probably not the best of ideas, as people prefer to be their own leader.
b) In SOME situations, offer options to the group: Now this might be more interesting... The DM could give a few options (2-4 choices) and the players could simply give their thoughs about it and vote for one of those options. i *think* this could help make decision time take a little faster: Sure this is not what you would do in a Table Top game, but a PbP is not exactly that, is it?

What do you think? (as a player, as a DM?)
admin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: [Idea] Faster PbP - Narrowing the Choices

Post by Duniagdra »

There's times when multiple choice just does not work and with some gamers, picking a leader is a long process of getting to know fellow players.

Using a chat service might be best as long as a group is accepting of a minimum number of players as a majority vote and able to set a date and time. It's been a consideration of mine for the four PbP games I run.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

I have used option b many times, although I usually include among the choices "Do something else entirely." I find it does help to give the players concrete choices. Otherwise, even when the choices are obvious, you have players waiting around to see if someone else has a creative idea or something...
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

patransom wrote:I have used option b many times, although I usually include among the choices "Do something else entirely." I find it does help to give the players concrete choices. Otherwise, even when the choices are obvious, you have players waiting around to see if someone else has a creative idea or something...
Yep!! The dynamic of a PbP is quite different from the Table Top role playing :D
Hartygan
Horseman
Horseman

Post by Hartygan »

I quite like the idea. It could be put up as a poll and the players have 24 hours to vote, then the most votes wins and the game moves on.
ImageRundorrig Lartzen - Human ranger
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Hartygan wrote:I quite like the idea. It could be put up as a poll and the players have 24 hours to vote, then the most votes wins and the game moves on.
The problem with 24 hours is that you might only get a couple players who see it. A week is likely the best option here, but with polls, you have to start a new thread for each poll and that can get messy.

I think the multiple choice option could work best:
  1. You have Seven Days to choose:
  2. Search for the missing cat
  3. Investigate the old lady's ruffled wigs
  4. Assist the locals in rebuilding the blown up out house
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
larenee
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by larenee »

I can't argue with the idea of a 'choose your own adventure' style multiple choice. It is so hard to get six players to quickly agree on a plan when you go a day between posts.

Return to “The Dice Room [Play-by-Post announcements]”