[Active Thread] The Hall of Harsh Reflections

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Re: [Active Thread] The Hall of Harsh Reflections

Post by kabkal »

Lola stands back, keeping an eye on the merchant.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

ElectroZman wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:16 pm Does the dagger Tarquin holds bear any resemblance to the daggers carried on Elaxan?
Tex observes that all the daggers, Elaxan's and the one currently held by Tarquin, have hilts and guards that are ornately carved with a unique design: a ship being pulled underwater by a huge octopus. They are identical.

If Tex points this out to the group, Prost will recognize that there's a similar design on the key he found in Elaxan's pouch.
JPetherick wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:07 pm Worrel will concentrate for a moment to determine whether Elaxan or any of the items carry the taint of evil.
Worrel does not detect any auras of evil.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex will ask Tarquin, Do you recognize this design at all? Also, is there any way we can get word to Eligos?
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

patransom wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:29 am As Prost goes through his belongings, Elaxan says loudly, So, not only do you attack our honored innkeeper and myself, but now you want to rob me too?
Prost still not trusting Elaxan, comments to him directly...“Truth is as straight as an arrow, while a lier swivels like a snake.”, you snake! Prost holds forth for all to see the key.

diplomacy check to gain support of taverns patrons.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Prost is making a show to gain influance

Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

ElectroZman wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:28 pm Tex will ask Tarquin, Do you recognize this design at all? Also, is there any way we can get word to Eligos?
I think I've seen it somewhere in the city before, Tarquin says, Maybe on a building? I don't remember exactly where. Not here in the Muddle, though... And Eligos is probably asleep at this hour. Do you think this has something to do with him?

Studying the dagger in his hand further, he continues, I thought it was Lola who stabbed me, but this guy has the exact same knives. Maybe it was some kind of illusion...

Between Tarquin's uncertainty and the Prost's display of the evidence, the tavern crowd definitely seems to be tilting to the party's side.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Anything else you guys want to do before the watch arrives? It will only be a few minutes before they show up.

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost will move about the crowed to gather information about their assailant, and the knives and key found on Elaxan.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius dispels his mind blade and shield, lest the watch get a wrong impression.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will stow her weapons and find a seat and wait for the guard.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex keeps an eye on Elaxan and waits.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel also waits for the guard to arrive. Thinking about it, he returns upstairs to clean snd store his sword.
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Prost's efforts to gather information from the crowd are rewarded as follows:
  • The octopus design on the knives and key were the trademark of a merchant company called "Sodden and Co." many years ago. The company has long since gone out of business. They used to own a number of warehouses in the docks district, but most of those have been torn down.
  • The design is still present on at least one boarded up building near the docks, though, so maybe not all of the Sodden and Co. warehouses are gone.
  • None of the people in the beer hall remember ever seeing Elaxan before.
The neighborhood watch arrives in a few minutes. It's a group of six armed halflings and gnomes. In a very rushed, excited voice, Tarquin tells them, I was stabbed and I thought it was that Amazon over there. He points to Lola, But then her friend healed me, which doesn't make sense if their group were trying to murder and rob me. Also, they were recommended by my friend Eligos the sage, so I don't think they're the insane murderous type of adventurers.

Next he points to Elaxan, Then this guy, who I've never seen before, tries to start a riot in my common room. When my well behaved regulars won't listen, he pretends the adventurers' dog bit him. Which I don't believe, because it's a very well behaved dog.

He pauses for a breath, then continues, Then he started jumping around and stabbing at the adventurers with knives and swords and stuff. They defended themselves, but then, after they almost killed him, they healed him, too. Which makes me think they really definitely aren't the insane murderous type of adventurers. And it turns out this guy has knives that exactly match the one that stabbed me, he hands the guards the dagger that he's been holding this whole time. So I think maybe there was some kind of illusion involved to make me think it was the Amazon what stabbed me and he's a murderous assassin wizard or something.

Several members of the crowd murmur and nod agreement as Tarquin tells his somewhat disjointed story.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Let me know if you'd like to add anything or just wait to see what the watch does.

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex just waits and continues to keep an eye on Elaxan.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost nods, and shares will the neighborhood watch how he was sucker punched by Elaxan, and that he had accused Fluffy of biting him. If you exam Fluffy there is not a drop of blood on him He goes on to explain he thinks he is some kind of evil arcane trickster and should not be trusted and turns over what the party found on him once the subdued this madman.
Prost allows the night watch to examine Fluffy as he pats him on his head saying You were such a good boy

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel quietly returns from storing hsi weapon, listening to the innkeeper relate how Elaxan acted.

"You could speak with the other patrons, too," adds Worrel.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Question before I update: does Prost turn over everything found on Elaxan, or just the 3 daggers with the design matching the one that stabbed Tarquin?

Complete list of what was found is:
* 3 daggers
* 2 potions
* 17 silver pieces
* A strangely shaped key (also with the matching octopus design)
* A short sword

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

patransom wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:26 pm
OUT OF CHARACTER
Question before I update: does Prost turn over everything found on Elaxan, or just the 3 daggers with the design matching the one that stabbed Tarquin?

Complete list of what was found is:
* 3 daggers
* 2 potions
* 17 silver pieces
* A strangely shaped key (also with the matching octopus design)
* A short sword

Just the three daggers, 2 potions, 17 silver pieces and short sword. Prost would use Sleight of Hand to palm the key if necessary to give the appearance he is fully cooperating, making a show of it, with the authorities and turning over everything. All the while warning them to be careful with him and showing the damage, he did to him with just his hands.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The squad leader of the watch, a particularly long-nosed female gnome, does not seem to notice Prost palm the key. She listens closely to Tarquin and Prost, ignoring everyone else. She says, Well, since no one appears to be dead, the best I can do is take the longshanks in for Disruption of Commerce and Inciting a Riot. We'd hold him a while, then he'd have to go before the civil magistrate and likely pay a fine. Or I could remand him to the Mage-istrate of the Orange Tower for Use of Illusion Magic in the Disruption of Commerce and Incitement of a Riot. But then everyone would have to testify as to what they saw. They might end up hanging him or they might end up inducting him into their order. Hard to say... who knows, he might already be a member of the Orange Order...

Tarquin says, Ugh. I have no interest in dealing with any of the Towers. Just take him in for the civil charge.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Let me know if there's anything else you want to do before they take Elaxan away. Also let me know your thoughts on next steps, given this strange and seemly unprovoked incident. Perhaps you as a party want to retire to one of the rooms to discuss amongst yourselves?

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost leans into Tex, whispering…We should maybe retire to one of our rooms to talk about what just happened here!

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex looks at Tarquin and says bluntly, What about attempted murder? You would have bled out.

He won't protest any further however.

patransom wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:42 am
OUT OF CHARACTER
Let me know if there's anything else you want to do before they take Elaxan away. Also let me know your thoughts on next steps, given this strange and seemly unprovoked incident. Perhaps you as a party want to retire to one of the rooms to discuss amongst yourselves?

This is a good idea, but Tex will also see if Tarquin wants to join them when he has time.

Once alone Tex thinks out loud a bit, Since we don't have a lot of information about this town, we should speak with Eligos in the morning. Maybe Lola was randomly chosen because we're from out of town, or maybe there is more to it.

In the first case, Tarquin was the target and we were just going to take the fall. In the second case, Lola and/or our group is the target. But in the second case, if it was just Lola, then why not just kill her? If it's all of us, then does it have more to do with the Worms, Eligos, or something else? This could go down lots of rat holes.

Lola, any enemies in this town?

OUT OF CHARACTER
Hopefully I'm not too far out of character, but Tex does have a decent INT.

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

smeltdm wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:25 am Prost leans into Tex, whispering…We should maybe retire to one of our rooms to talk about what just happened here!
"Definitely"

OUT OF CHARACTER
cross posting!

Having such a great time in this game!

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

ElectroZman wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:42 am
smeltdm wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:25 am Prost leans into Tex, whispering…We should maybe retire to one of our rooms to talk about what just happened here!
"Definitely"

OUT OF CHARACTER
cross posting!

Having such a great time in this game!

:thumb1: :thumb1:

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

ElectroZman wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:40 am Tex looks at Tarquin and says bluntly, What about attempted murder? You would have bled out.

He won't protest any further however.

patransom wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:42 am
OUT OF CHARACTER

This is a good idea, but Tex will also see if Tarquin wants to join them when he has time.

Once alone Tex thinks out loud a bit, Since we don't have a lot of information about this town, we should speak with Eligos in the morning. Maybe Lola was randomly chosen because we're from out of town, or maybe there is more to it.

In the first case, Tarquin was the target and we were just going to take the fall. In the second case, Lola and/or our group is the target. But in the second case, if it was just Lola, then why not just kill her? If it's all of us, then does it have more to do with the Worms, Eligos, or something else? This could go down lots of rat holes.

Lola, any enemies in this town?

OUT OF CHARACTER
Hopefully I'm not too far out of character, but Tex does have a decent INT.

Lola responds I have never been here before. So, if I have enemies here that would be news to me and be a big surprise.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Perhaps we should look into that remaining Sodd and Company building, Cyrius suggests.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

"I agree," states Worrel.

"Should we look into this tonight?," he asks. "Or, do you believe that this is better done in the morning?"
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola states We should go in the morning. I would like to finish my meditation time before we do anything that might be a bit taxing.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Aye, the morning makes sense, agrees Tex.

Does Tarquin ever show up? If he does, Tex asks him if there is anyone who would want him dead, and pin it on strangers in town.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Assuming the party is leaving in the morning Prost encourages everyone into one room, goes to Tex once they are away from the patrons to get the full low-down Tex what happen? and Prost pulls out the key...and we have this anyone recognize it? Maybe its magical.

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex smacks his forehead, Ooof, sorry, you all need to be catched up! Here's what I saw..

Hopefully there's something to drink nearby. Tex takes a drink and begins his story.

So there I was, having a couple of beers at the bar, talking with some of the other patrons and Tarquin too, from time to time. Seemed like a good crowd. I had just gotten my mug refilled when Tarquin gave out the Last Call and the bar gets crowded. Then I see Lola come down the stairs and head to the bar, looks like she's going to git herself one more drink. "Good for Her!" I thinks to myself. Then I takes another swig so I didn't xactly see it but I heared Tarquin cry out in pain! Then there's Lola sprinting back up the stairs and Tarquin's on the floor behind the bar in a puddle of blood!

Tex pauses to takes another drink and continues, So I figures that Lola's hot on the tail of someone. I calls out to you Lola, but figgered you couldn't hear me. Anyways I decides to jump over the bar and check on Tarquin. He's bleeding out with a dagger in his chest. I give him a quick battlefield binding then pour a potion down his throat. That seemed to do the trick and Tarquin starts getting up.

At this point our boy Elaxan comes down the stairs and starts accusing Lola and telling the crowd that he passed Lola on the stairs an she wus covered in blood.

Tex looks at Lola, Jes so you know, this didn't seem right to me at all. We've been through a lot you an I.

He takes another swig and says, I'm telling him aint no way this is so but this clown just kept it up, shouting , saying Lola and me are in cahoots to kill Tarquin, we're strangers and he himselfs a prominent merchant, blah blah blah. Now I knows fer sure somethings up! Good thing he was such a loudmouth, cause it sounds like y'all heard him!

Tex shakes his head, Seems odd to me Tarquin didn't press any charges. He would've died. Something deeper going on here. I really think we gotta talk to someone with connections, like Eligos.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Wow! That is really something. So were do we start, and does anybody else recognize this guy and what is with this key? Prost passes it around for all to examine.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

A copper mite to a gold crown that key fits a Sodden Company lock, Cyrius opines. That octopus motif fits.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”