[Active Thread] The Hall of Harsh Reflections

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Re: [Active Thread] The Hall of Harsh Reflections

Post by smeltdm »

patransom wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:16 am
ElectroZman wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:42 pm PM sent on Mon the 13th... did you need something more?
OUT OF CHARACTER
My mistake. Waiting on PM from Prost, not Tex...

OUT OF CHARACTER
sorry Pat.sent PM

Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Lots of things happen all at once, taking a few rounds in total...

Green Worrel makes sounds and gestures consistent with casting a spell, presenting his holy symbol. Blue (imprisoned) Worrel shouts Look out! That imposter is casting a spell! Green Worrel's spell doesn't do anything obvious. He begins concentrating on the room ahead of him.

Green Lola also makes sounds consistent with casting a spell and presents her holy symbol. Blue (imprisoned) Lola yells So is that imposter! Get ready to defend yourselves! Green Lola's buckler begins to glow with a bright light and she declares, I am the real Lola as the great Artemis's power shows!

Green Ardrea likewise makes sounds and gestures consistent with casting a spell. Blue (imprisoned) Ardrea shouts They're all spellcasters! Stop them before they enchant you! Green Ardrea's spell doesn't do anything obvious. She begins concentrating on the room ahead of her.

Green Cyrius walks into the hall and materializes his mind blade, asking his imprisoned counterpart, Can you do this? Blue (imprisoned) Cyrius responds, You know very well that I can't, because of the magic suppressing spells those other imposters just cast. And I'm guessing that yours is just an illusion!

Green Tex pauses a moment, then slings his bow, pulls out his axe, then walks over to the Prost inside the cell (Blue Prost) and quietly asks a question. Blue (imprisoned) Prost answers calmly, but loud enough for everyone to hear, The witch's name was Marzena. Only the real Prost would know that...

Blue (imprisoned) Tex rattles his bars and yells, Prost! Come unlock this cell and get me out of here!. Green (free) Prost remains where he is, reloads his sling staff, and whispers some commands to Fluffy, who listens calmly.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Some PM responses are on the way. Please continue to use PM for actions or post here using the spoiler tag.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Ward Hex on Green Prost: +2 AC and saves until hit or fails a save

1. Green Ardrea - staff readied, 3 hp damage

2. Green Cyrius - charged mind blade longsword readied

3. Green Lola - loaded crossbow readied, 35 bolts left, 3 channel energy left, 6 hp damage

4. Green Prost - loaded slingstaff readied, 38 bullets left

5. Green Fluffy

6. Green Tex - axe readied, 104 arrows left

7. Green Worrel - sword and shield readied

8. Blue Ardrea - locked in a cell, no weapons

9. Blue Cyrius - locked in a cell, no weapons

10. Blue Lola - locked in a cell, no weapons

11. Blue Prost - locked in a cell, no weapons

12. Blue Tex - locked in a cell, no weapons

13. Blue Worrel - locked in a cell, no weapons
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I have PMs with actions from Lola, Worrel, and Prost. Anyone else want to do anything? PM or spoiler please.

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Ping

Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Pong
Image Lola: Amazonian Cleric
Image Tover Lastblock, Gnome Fighter 1
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry for the delay. There were some PMs that required additional thought...

Green Cyrius moves closer to his counterpart and stands ready, watching the folk in the cells. Blue (imprisoned) Cyrius glares at him.

Green Lola says So, while they may LOOK like us, but they cant cast like us. We have traveled together for too long to buy that BS line the dopplegangers are saying that we casters suddenly became so powerful to 'block their magic'.. the real people know just we ain't that powerful yet!!.. So if casters can do something clear to see like my light spell is - we will know who is the fake - my fake is in the cell since she cant cast even a basic cantrip! So Cyrius on steps and Lola on steps are real since created REAL magic visual effects so far. Prost maybe your pet will know the real you due to smell? Try calling your pet to you?

Blue (imprisoned) Lola responds, Don't listen to the fake Lola. We can't block magic, but doppelganger casters can! That's why I can't show you Artemis's power right now!

Blue (imprisoned) Prost shouts, Fluffy! Come! Fluffy looks up at the noise, but does not move.

Green Worrel moves into the room with the cells and turns left and right so that he can scan everyone. He announces, I detect no evil auras here...

Blue (imprisoned) Worrel responds, Of course he doesn't, because the only evil aura is him. Let me out and I will show you his evil-

Green Tex walks back to the group and quietly asks Green Prost a question. Green Prost whispers an answer, then whispers to something to Fluffy, then to the Blue (imprisoned) Cyrius, who nods in response. Green Prost drinks a potion, turning into a gaseous form and floats toward the doors at the end of the hall. Blue (imprisoned) Tex shouts, Look out! He's used a stolen potion and is going to alert the other doppelgangers!

OUT OF CHARACTER
Some PM responses are on the way. Please continue to use PM for actions or post here using the spoiler tag. Bear with me... should be done with the PM approach soon...

ACTIVE EFFECTS

3. Green Lola - loaded crossbow readied, 35 bolts left, 3 channel energy left, 6 hp damage

4. Green Prost - loaded slingstaff readied, 38 bullets left

5. Green Fluffy

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting on a PM from Cyrius

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Green Ardrea moves forward a bit and looks about on the floor. Finding a piece of straw, she picks it up, speaks some words consistent with casting a spell, and the straw bursts briefly into flame. Good idea Lola. she says.

Green Worrel turns and asks Green Ardrea, Ardea, would you allow me to heal you?

After Green Prost and Green Tex whisper back and forth a bit, Green Tex follows Green Prost to the doors at the end of the hall. Green Prost, who is now gaseous, floats between the cracks and under the doors, disappearing from view.

From his cell, Blue Prost says, I warned you. He's getting away and he's gonna tell the other doppelgangers you're here...

Green Lola moves into the hallway. Both Cyrius' and the rest of the blue characters watch silently.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Please continue to use PM for actions or post here using the spoiler tag. We're close to that changing, but not quite there yet...

ACTIVE EFFECTS

4. Green Prost - loaded slingstaff readied, 38 bullets left, gaseous form

5. Green Fluffy

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting on PMs from everyone except Worrel and Prost.

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

:thumb1:

Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

pm sent
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Green Worrel prays to Mitra for healing before reaching out to touch Green Ardrea and Green Lola [Ardrea healed 7 hp, Lola healed 6 hp].

Meanwhile, Blue Worrel tests the strength of the bars in hope of breaking free.

Finding the air in the room with the collapsed floor to be conveniently still, with no strong breezes, gaseous Green Prost floats 10 feet to the northwest to gain a better view of what lies to the northeast. He can see that the soggy scaffolding extends a bit farther towards the corner of the warehouse, but sees no threats. Looking down, he notices that the tips of rusted spears and broken swords break the surface of the stagnant water below him. Fortunately, he's floating, so they are no threat to him.

Green Cyrius and Green Worrel whisper back and forth a bit.

Green Lola says looking at Green Worrel Worrel as your well armored, please consider to get between us and your doppleganger for when they attack. Even if your still not sure I am me, guarding against your fake I hope you see is a safe request? Then she whispers to him Remember that cell holding Prost had a fake lock when they attacked last time, perhaps your doppelganger's door does also, lets not get surprised by that trick twice in same day [This warning, unfortunately, comes just a bit too late, as we shall see]

Green Tex opens both the doors in front of him to keep watch as Green Prost floats around the other room.

Green Ardrea comments, I'm not sure what you two are up to, but let's stick together, as she moves up towards Prost and Tex.

SURPRISE ROUND!

Suddenly, and from out of nowhere, Green Prost feels a banging punch of a blow strike at him from directly above. Fortunately, due to his gaseous form, he takes only limited damage [11 hp damage - DR 10/magic = 1 hp damage].

He is further surprised as another swift ramming jab comes from his left. Although he feels the blow, it does no harm [7 hp damage - DR 10/magic = 0]

At this point, Blue Prost laughs and says, Now they've done it! Our deception has paid off! Let's have at them! He pushes a hidden button and the doors to all of the cells swing open. The (by now, obviously) fake versions of each PC ready to attack...

OUT OF CHARACTER
We are now in combat and can post regularly again. You were all the green versions of yourselves all along. Thanks for playing along with this rather confusing scenario.

Ardrea, Prost, and Cyrius are up first. The rest of you will go after the doppelgangers, so you should probably hold your posts until after you see what they do.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Ward Hex on Prost: +2 AC and saves until hit or fails a save

ROUND 1 BEGINS

1. Real Ardrea - staff readied

2. Real Prost - loaded slingstaff readied, 38 bullets left, gaseous form, 1 hp damage

3. Fluffy

4. Real Cyrius - charged mind blade longsword readied

5. Invisible Attacker(s?) - somewhere near Prost?

6. Fake Prost

7. Fake Ardrea

8. Fake Lola

9. Fake Cyrius

10. Fake Worrel

12. Fake Tex

----> Mid-round validation

ROUND 1 CONTINUES

1. Real Lola - loaded crossbow readied, 35 bolts left, 3 channel energy left

2. Real Tex - axe readied, 104 arrows left

3. Real Worrel - sword and shield readied, 2 lay on hands left

ROUND 2 BEGINS

4. Real Ardrea - staff readied

5. Real Prost - loaded slingstaff readied, 38 bullets left, gaseous form

6. Fluffy

7. Real Cyrius - charged mind blade longsword readied

8. Invisible Attacker(s?) - somewhere near Prost?

9. Fake Prost

10. Fake Ardrea

11. Fake Lola

12. Fake Cyrius

13. Fake Worrel

14. Fake Tex

----> Full validation
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting on Ardrea, Prost, and Cyrius...

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Relieved that the masks are finally off, Cyrius charges his mind blade with psychic energy, takes a five foot step to 0919 (the cell door being open) and slashes at his doppelganger (used in the classical imitator sense, not the D&D/Pathfinder monster).
On the off chance he actually hit...
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost will use the three dimensional space of the space he is in and tries to stealth under the beams for cover moving to the area to the NE.

Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

How tall is the ceiling in this room? If 10' or higher Ardrea will use her flight to get up and away from the direct fighting. If that can't put her out of standard reach she will use her Hex: Attack roll against the bad Worrel.
Teucer Argent - Zen Archer
Image Ardrea - Jinx Witch
Image Mazer: Goblin Champion
Image Arkyat, Orc Thaumaturge
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

ROUND 1 BEGINS

Real Ardrea flies up to the ceiling, 20 feet above the floor, to get away from the direct fighting [withdraw action avoids attacks of opportunity in the first square exited; position of the cell bars prevents AoOs in the second square]

Relieved that the masks are finally off, Real Cyrius charges his mind blade with psychic energy, takes a step into the cell and slashes at his doppelganger. He misses.

Real Prost descends and tries to use the beams for cover as he heads northeast. As he moves, he feels the impact of another invisible blow, but it does no harm [withdraw action avoids attacks of opportunity in the first square exited, but one AoO occurs when exiting the second; 8 hp damage absorbed by DR 10/magic]

Fluffy follows his guard command and bites at Fake Cyrius, but misses.

Real Prost feels the whish of a near miss from one side and an ineffective thud from the other. It doesn't seem the beams are offering much protection from the invisible attackers but being gaseous certainly helps [9 hp damage absorbed by DR 10/magic]

Fake Prost exits his cell into the hallway, winds up and swings at Tex as if playing a child's game, smiling as his fist batters the dwarf [4 hp damage]

Fake Ardrea readies an action...

Fake Lola moves into the hall, growing long claws as she goes. One claw connects with Real Lola, leaving a gory wound in its wake [12 hp damage]

Except for Fake Prost, it seems all the duplicates have claws. Fake Cyrius narrowly misses his counterpart with his.

Fake Worrel comes out of his cell to painfully rake Real Lola with a claw [9 hp damage]

Fake Tex steps out of the cell to flank Real Tex, triggering Fake Ardrea's readied action. She misses, but Fake Tex takes advantage of the situation to deliver a hewing slice that opens Real Tex with a spine-chilling snick [7 hp damage]. His second claw misses.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Everybody's up now...

ACTIVE EFFECTS
ROUND 1 CONTINUES

1. Real Lola - loaded crossbow readied, 35 bolts left, 3 channel energy left, 21 hp damage

2. Real Tex - axe readied, 104 arrows left, 11 hp damage

ROUND 2 BEGINS

5. Real Prost - loaded slingstaff readied, 38 bullets left, gaseous form, 1 hp damage

6. Fluffy

8. Invisible Attacker(s?) - somewhere near Prost?

9. Fake Prost

10. Fake Lola

11. Fake Cyrius

12. Fake Worrel

13. Fake Ardrea

14. Fake Tex
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Get 'im, Fluffy, Cyrius encourages the dog while making a full attack against his evil counterpart.
If that strike hits, add this damage (psychic strike)
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex takes a 5 foot step to 1112 then swings his axe at fake Tex.
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Since only players wounded so far, Lola will channel energy heal burst from her current location. Sorry Prost your too far away.

Lola takes a 5' step to 1019 and says Worrel, open spot if you wanted to step in
if actions left she changes weapon to her shortsword
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel advances, appreciating Lola moving so that he could enter the melee. He focuses his attacks at the doppelganger wearing his face, but carries through to attack the one posing as Lola.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Free - 5 ft step to 1118 (after Lola moves)
Full attack vs. Red Worrel, with cleave against Red Lola

Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting on Ardrea and Prost

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost moves to 1107 staying under the beamsTHINKING: may be there something ahead ... that may lend light to what? o

Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

Ardrea from the relative safety of near the ceiling. Will use her Hex power Protective Luck on Tex.
Protective Luck: Attackers must roll twice and take the worst result.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

ROUND 1 CONTINUES

Real Lola channels energy to heal her companions [11 hp healing to all PCs except Prost]. Then she steps back, stows her crossbow, and says Worrel, open spot if you wanted to step in.

Real Tex steps back and swings his axe in an unorthodox move that lands unexpectedly and rakes against Fake Tex [5 hp damage]

Real Worrel advances, appreciating Lola moving so that he could enter the melee. He focuses his attacks on his doppelganger, delivering a hewing stroke that breaks through the enemy's guard and carves into their anatomy [11 hp damage], then follows with a cleave into Fake Lola [crit confirmed, 17 hp damage]. (Note: using cleave is a standard action; you can't use it with a full attack)

ROUND 2 BEGINS

From the relative safety of near the ceiling, Real Ardrea uses her Hex power Protective Luck on Real Tex.

Get 'im, Fluffy, Cyrius encourages the dog while making a full attack against his evil counterpart. He laces his moves with sly deception before hitting hitting his mark [12 hp damage total]. His second strike misses.

Real Prost moves while staying under the beams THINKING: may be there something ahead ... that may lend light to what? [withdraw action avoids all attacks of opportunity this time]. Prost can now see there is a wooden landing in the corner of the room, with a door on the south wall (at 1507).

Fluffy's bite narrowly misses Fake Cyrius.

Real Prost feels a solid bash from in front of him that just manages to break through the protection of being gaseous [1 hp damage after DR 10/magic]

Real Tex feels an unexpected bone-jarring blow from behind [6 hp damage]. The attack is followed by a high-pitched giggle that announces the presence of an invisible attacker behind Tex.

Fake Prost steps up and misses Real Tex

Fake Ardrea waits, hoping a safe route into the hall appears, but it doesn't...

Fake Lola claws twice at Real Worrel, missing.

Fake Cyrius misses real Cyrius twice.

Fake Worrel misses real Worrel twice.

As Fake Tex steps into the room with the planks, he says to Real Tex, You're pretty good with that axe, but it's no match for my powers of deception! A cunning underhand swing with one of his claws catches Real Tex off-guard [10 hp damage, but protective luck prevented a potential critical]

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Protective Luck on Tex (ends on Ardrea's turn)

I've put question marks where you suspect the invisible attackers might be located

ROUND 2 CONTINUES

1. Real Lola - 35 bolts left, 2 channel energy left, 10 hp damage

2. Real Tex - axe readied, 104 arrows left, 10 hp damage

ROUND 3 BEGINS

5. Real Prost - loaded slingstaff readied, 38 bullets left, gaseous form, 2 hp damage

6. Fluffy

8. Invisible Attackers - somewhere near Prost and Tex?

9. Fake Prost

10. Fake Lola - 17 hp damage

11. Fake Cyrius - 12 hp damage

12. Fake Worrel - 11 hp damage

13. Fake Ardrea

14. Fake Tex - 5 hp damage
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius takes a 5-foot step to 0818 to flank his evil twin, charges his mind blade with psychic energy, and swings at his foes.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex takes a 5 foot step to 1014 and swings at Fake Tex.

And I'm pretty sure he misses with both swings...

:eek: :eek:
Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

Ardrea will use a move action to 'cackle' to keep the hex up on Tex. She will use another 'move' action to retrieve her feather token (whip) from her Handy Haversack pack.
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Lola will 5' step to 1119, draws her shortsword and casts Bless. Tex should be in range, but sorry Prost your out of range of the party.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel continues attacking, reversing his swing to first catch Fake Lola before continuing on to attack the Fake duplicate of himself. Having gauged the mettle of his opponents, Worrel puts all of his might into the attack.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Free - Activate Power Attack
Standard - Cleave, starting with Lola

Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”